We Won the Game and I'm Pissed Off

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
We Won the Game and I'm Pissed Off
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 pm
  • I'm mad with the NFL.

1) You really going to have Russell Wilson ducking through a sack and you call him down and put the Seahawks at 3rd and 16?

2) Back to back facemasks on RW and they aren't called

3) Three SF defenders (two of which go for helmet to helmet) tackle Russ while he is giving himself up.

4) The gunner tackles the punt returner who doesn't call for a fair catch and it's a personal foul?

5) How many stoppages on 3rd down to review plays that weren't even close?

6) How many times did they let SF get away with their CBs never turning around and mugging our receivers?

7) No holds on SF and they were INSANELY obvious

If this was the Super Bowl I would be putting another asterisk like XL* - that was absolutely ridiculous. Unacceptably bad officiating should be the story of the week.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Re: We Won the Game and I'm Pissed Off
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm
  • Also, Tyler Lockett gets hit helmet-to-helmet not once, but TWICE on the same play...no call!

Even Bill Leavy would be b!@ch about this crew.
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 pm
  • THE TABS wrote:Also, Tyler Lockett gets hit helmet-to-helmet not once, but TWICE on the same play...no call!

On plebzone they are blaming the refs for this defeat, they are truly delusional.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
  • THE TABS wrote:Also, Tyler Lockett gets hit helmet-to-helmet not once, but TWICE on the same play...no call!

But will these refs apologize years from now for how poorly they called this game? I would need this
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm
  • Nothing to add.. Horrible
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 pm
  • Clowney was held 14 times.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 pm
  • Watching this MNF crew praise the refs was something. Very grating to the point I had to mute most of it :P
    bandiger
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 pm
  • Absolutely, I am still mistyfied on the tackle on the punt. They said personal foul but didn't say what for. No penalties for PI was also aggravating considering they rarely even turned to look at the ball and 2 were called on us an as you said multiple lowering of the helmet calls went uncalled and then they call one on Jefferson.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 pm
  • We were clearly hosed no question about it they SF an advantage.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 pm
  • For sure, the BS game stoppages in overtime were totally lame. For one, after Malik Turner's catch, stopping it for that?
    Please, NFL, reinstate coach challenges in OT so we don't have this BS disrupting the game. Of course, what it did was give SF Defense a chance to catch their breath, just when Carson was about to gash them, would have been a 10 yard run.

The PI non-calls... when did the NFL change their definition of DPI? OK, fine, but call it that way FOR the Hawk defenders as well.

The BS call on Thorpe on that Punt tackle... OMG, will we have any actual FOOTBALL left?

I felt the same way about the multiple SF defenders hitting Russell after he gave himself up; shoulda been a flag. Watching the replay though, it wasn't as bad, and they mostly hit each other.

8) The play where Reed, IIRC, sacks Jimmy G and gets called for the helmet hit... OK, fine, but then call the hit on Russell, FalconGoggles' item 3).

Overall, it felt like the refs tried to "steer" the game to the 49ers, but couldn't quite manage to get it done.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Absolutely, I am still mistyfied on the tackle on the punt. They said personal foul but didn't say what for. No penalties for PI was also aggravating considering they rarely even turned to look at the ball and 2 were called on us an as you said multiple lowering of the helmet calls went uncalled and then they call one on Jefferson.

The most frustrating part about the roughing on the punt returner was it was the next play after Shem committed PI on 3rd down. Not called.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 pm
  • I listened to Raible and Wyman, synced up radio with tv..... they were pretty critical of refs.

I'd stick ice picks in my ears if I had to listen to Booger and company kiss the refs butts. No thanks.

I'd add one too, when they iced Myers on the last FG, how late did they let SF call that time out? Kind of ridiculous.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 pm
  • At no point did they explain the personal foul on the punt return.

I still have no idea what was done wrong. 15 yards for tackling?

But the in the grasp may have been the worst call in the history of the NFL. Absolutely a fireable offense.

Thank God Russ gave them the finger on the next play.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm
  • I thought I heard them say a hit on a defenseless player on the punt catch. Pete better raise hell over that officiating
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 pm
  • The worst guy was the ref expert on the commentary, he was so one sided it was untrue. Tried to suggest Carson's very close td was 3 yards short. Honestly the guy was horrible I wanted to spark the prick out.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:16 am
  • bandiger wrote:Watching this MNF crew praise the refs was something. Very grating to the point I had to mute most of it :P

Those morons were carrying water for SF all night. Of course they wouldn’t notice how crappily, one-sided the officiating was.
    UGotHawked
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 am
  • bandiger wrote:Watching this MNF crew praise the refs was something. Very grating to the point I had to mute most of it :P

The announcers were SCREAMING WITH JOY whenever SF made a play. I couldn't get the radio to sync up with DirecTV so I had to listen to this garbage all night.

And yeah, some of those officiating calls made it look as if the NFL really wanted SF to win badly. Maybe they wanted a 16-0 team this year.
    Tusc2000
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 am
  • I thought it was a joke at first. I'm thinking, " why is Jimmy Fallon the ref tonight" then he never left.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:54 am
  • falcongoggles wrote:I'm mad with the NFL.

1) You really going to have Russell Wilson ducking through a sack and you call him down and put the Seahawks at 3rd and 16?

2) Back to back facemasks on RW and they aren't called

3) Three SF defenders (two of which go for helmet to helmet) tackle Russ while he is giving himself up.

4) The gunner tackles the punt returner who doesn't call for a fair catch and it's a personal foul?

5) How many stoppages on 3rd down to review plays that weren't even close?

6) How many times did they let SF get away with their CBs never turning around and mugging our receivers?

7) No holds on SF and they were INSANELY obvious

If this was the Super Bowl I would be putting another asterisk like XL* - that was absolutely ridiculous. Unacceptably bad officiating should be the story of the week.

Add to that the morons calling the game clearly loved the niners and wanted them to win. Be a little objective.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:03 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:The worst guy was the ref expert on the commentary, he was so one sided it was untrue. Tried to suggest Carson's very close td was 3 yards short. Honestly the guy was horrible I wanted to spark the prick out.

IKR, as soon as he said it I was thinking what F'ing game is he watching?!?! 3 yards away GTFO! Then seconds later replay showed it was more like an inch away if not a TD depending on when his elbow actually hit the ground.
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 am
  • Smellyman wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Absolutely, I am still mistyfied on the tackle on the punt. They said personal foul but didn't say what for. No penalties for PI was also aggravating considering they rarely even turned to look at the ball and 2 were called on us an as you said multiple lowering of the helmet calls went uncalled and then they call one on Jefferson.

The most frustrating part about the roughing on the punt returner was it was the next play after Shem committed PI on 3rd down. Not called.

Yup. Literally tackled his arm that was extending for the ball. I remember similar plays religiously called PI when he was in a hawks uni too, and truthfully, i actually like the no call. But not when it's not both ways!. As in how was that not PI on Sherman but that early PI call on Flowers was what, exactly?

I think one of the best immediate fixes for this is a weekly ref recap, where the league publicly debriefs on a television show every penalty and the reasoning behind why it was called and complete analysis. That would at least give some kind of accountability to the game changing calls that sometimes get forgotten about.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 am
  • The officiating that really has me confused is how a player who is out of bounds can reach into the field of play and impact the outcome. End of the half dude reaches in and grabs Metcalf/the ball and maintains contact while coming into the field of play and affecting the outcome.

Now, hypothetically, if Metcalf hands the ball to any player who is standing out of bounds, possession of the ball does not change for purposes of the game because player is considered outside the field of play so.... WTF?

I don't think this has ever happened in a way that the NFL has a clear ruling about this.

What if a player, standing out of bounds, reaches in and knocks the ball out of a player's hands, causing a fumble, which is then recovered by a third in-bounds player? Because the person hit the ball while out of bounds the play should be dead, I would think.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:39 am
  • No call PI on Richard Sherman, another no call PI where I can't remember the guilty party...just Boogers comment that "...the defender wasn't looking at the ball but he made a play on the receiver's hands being up" (guess we label that contact "incidental" now), no call offensive PI that Wagner almost intercepted...

Just to add a few.

Prior to yesterday's game, I don't think I've ever commented (at least in forums) about officiating. I've always looked at it as it would balance itself out in the end.

To win a game, and STILL be pissed, shows you just how bad it was.

Ridiculous.
    Elemas
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:56 am
  • I was just sick of how they just kept showing 49er's DC Robert Saleh and praising him as if he invented defense. There was no mention of Ken Norton Jr.
    hawksbydesign
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:The officiating that really has me confused is how a player who is out of bounds can reach into the field of play and impact the outcome. End of the half dude reaches in and grabs Metcalf/the ball and maintains contact while coming into the field of play and affecting the outcome.

Now, hypothetically, if Metcalf hands the ball to any player who is standing out of bounds, possession of the ball does not change for purposes of the game because player is considered outside the field of play so.... WTF?

I don't think this has ever happened in a way that the NFL has a clear ruling about this.

What if a player, standing out of bounds, reaches in and knocks the ball out of a player's hands, causing a fumble, which is then recovered by a third in-bounds player? Because the person hit the ball while out of bounds the play should be dead, I would think.

100% agree
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:23 am
  • You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.
    HawkFan72
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am

You listen to them? I mute the TV and time align the radio broadcast. Raible and Wyman were great last night! :D
    daveman918
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am
  • Hawkpower wrote:At no point did they explain the personal foul on the punt return.

I still have no idea what was done wrong. 15 yards for tackling?

But the in the grasp may have been the worst call in the history of the NFL. Absolutely a fireable offense.

Thank God Russ gave them the finger on the next play.

This was one of the stranger moments in a game filled with madness and magic. In the bar we can't hear the call "In the grasp". We see Russell escape and run for 4 or 5 yards setting up a 3 and reasonable. When Russell is under center we see it's 3rd and 16? WTF. And while were trying figure it out Malik busts out for 20 some odd yards and a first down! Magic.

The Refs suck. We won. I'm not mad.
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

Fair? Utter nonsense. We had 9 penalties for 75 yards, they had 5 for 40.

And the PI flag on Taylor in the 1st quarter which negated the interception, was tossed a good 5 seconds after the pick.
    Tusc2000
    NET Starter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm
  • SF is an NFL darling team. If they're having a good year they will get most calls. Makes the win even sweeter.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:23 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:The worst guy was the ref expert on the commentary, he was so one sided it was untrue. Tried to suggest Carson's very close td was 3 yards short. Honestly the guy was horrible I wanted to spark the prick out.

that was infuriating. He was praising the refs for not calling a TD while completely ignoring that they had missed the spot by almost an entire yard.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:For sure, the BS game stoppages in overtime were totally lame. For one, after Malik Turner's catch, stopping it for that?
    Please, NFL, reinstate coach challenges in OT so we don't have this BS disrupting the game. Of course, what it did was give SF Defense a chance to catch their breath, just when Carson was about to gash them, would have been a 10 yard run.

The PI non-calls... when did the NFL change their definition of DPI? OK, fine, but call it that way FOR the Hawk defenders as well.

The BS call on Thorpe on that Punt tackle... OMG, will we have any actual FOOTBALL left?

I felt the same way about the multiple SF defenders hitting Russell after he gave himself up; shoulda been a flag. Watching the replay though, it wasn't as bad, and they mostly hit each other.

8) The play where Reed, IIRC, sacks Jimmy G and gets called for the helmet hit... OK, fine, but then call the hit on Russell, FalconGoggles' item 3).

Overall, it felt like the refs tried to "steer" the game to the 49ers, but couldn't quite manage to get it done.

of they are trying to get rid of leading with the helmet like Parry claimed after that call against Jefferson on the sack it really shouldn't matter that they hit each other. All three of them were leading with their helmets after Russ had slid and the fact that the friendly fire may have led to a concussion shows how dangerous it was.

You can't call one a foul and one not just because Wilson turned his head to avoid the hit and Garappolo ducked into it.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:38 pm
  • I only saw the 4th Quarter but that was the best part..
    What wasn't was as you all saw the ESPN/Ref lovefest for the Santa Clara team.
    Yes Sherm was all over our rookie before the ball got there and yes RW got hit
    multiple times while he slid plus a facemask another time.
    That personal foul on the return man?My ass..I was like what???
    The one I didn't see a Niner getting the fumble while out of bounds..
    A player is dead out of bounds no matter what that rule cannot be twisted
    as it is cut and dry..Now a player if pushed out by other team can come back in the
    field of play to do whatever as long as he is on the field!
    Great game much as the Refs tried to steer it.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:01 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:The officiating that really has me confused is how a player who is out of bounds can reach into the field of play and impact the outcome. End of the half dude reaches in and grabs Metcalf/the ball and maintains contact while coming into the field of play and affecting the outcome.

The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?
    Player goes out of bounds, makes a play on the ball from Out Of Bounds....uh..(talks to self) Player goes out of bounds and doesn't have to RE-ESTABLISH?...Other than a few marbles, am I missing something here?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

With all due respect, I disagree 100%.
    This was a “steered game”, refs handed the wheel to the Niners, the Niners grabbed the wheel and drove it into the ditch.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:15 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?
    Player goes out of bounds, makes a play on the ball from Out Of Bounds....uh..(talks to self) Player goes out of bounds and doesn't have to RE-ESTABLISH?...Other than a few marbles, am I missing something here?

You're missing everything.

1. Tartt had complete control of the ball at the 2 yard line, which is why that's where the ball was spotted. One hand still on the ball does not = control. The rule states that when two players have control of the ball, it's the player that maintains possession all the way through the completion of the play that's awarded possession...........that was Tartt at the two.

2. All Tartt had to do since he was pushed out of bounds by Moore to re-establish himself was to get both feet back in bounds before making contact with the player or ball. Now if he ran out on his own? Then no, he's not allowed to be the first person to touch or make contact.

It's a complicated call for sure, but IMO the refs got it right.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:19 pm

I believe that ORDINARILY, the player that goes out of bounds like that, makes a play FROM THE SIDELINE, gets flagged for a foul, he sure as hell doesn't get an atta boy & the take away.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:22 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?

1. Tartt had complete control of the ball at the 2 yard line, which is why that's where the ball was spotted. One hand still on the ball does not = control. The rule states that when two players have control of the ball, it's the player that maintains possession all the way through the completion of the play that's awarded possession...........that was Tartt at the two.

2. All Tartt had to do since he was pushed out of bounds by Moore to re-establish himself was to get both feet back in bounds before making contact with the player or ball. Now if he ran out on his own? Then no, he's not allowed to be the first person to touch or make contact.

He made contact OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY...That's a penalty.
    AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:28 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?

He made contact OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY...That's a penalty.

That's OK for the defender to do.

A receiver cannot go out of bounds and then return to the field of play to make a catch. Players can however go out of bounds and return to the field of play to make a legal tackle on a ball carrier.

He's not allowed to have possession out of bounds, but is allowed to engage the play.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:30 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

Lol, did you watch the video? Moore absolutely pushes him out.

I see I'm not getting anywhere with you, you're too far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. God speed. It was the right call, but you go on with your bad self.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Another one we got away with was Carson's TD. He was moving forward before the snap.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:49 pm
  • OK, I'll drop the needle on my broken record...

The NFL is entertainment, not a court of law. If you are expecting justice to be served, well, keep on a-waitin'. The games are a Product, and we are the Market. As long as they are raking in cash, don't expect big changes.

Are the refs - by extension - manipulating the game for the NFL? Hard to say, but it sure feels like it sometimes. It's not as bad as the WWE or Reality TV, but it sure does seem like it's more than just poor judgement on the field. Or, in the booth. Or NY. Or whatever. It was really odd though how the booth announcers were praising the refs. Then again, I would never take anything serious from somebody named Booger. Hopefully the fad of having former refs justify the calls for the networks goes away. It also seems like a PR move by the NFL/networks.

I don't think computer refs are the answer. Might as well just throw some robots out there to play while you're at it. It's the human element that makes the game interesting. Otherwise, just go back to playing Madden.

I've given up on getting mad at the calls, because I feel manipulated and it ruins it. It's just part of the current iteration of the NFL. For better or for worse.

I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football. Either way, here's another thread that has 30 posts of people arguing with each other, and talking sports on a day without a game. Mission accomplished, NFL.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:03 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:Add to that the morons calling the game clearly loved the niners and wanted them to win. Be a little objective.

Yeah I was commenting during the game how obvious it was...The announcer would go ape sh*t whenever there was a big play by the 49ers...That Wilson TD his tone was barely raised above an average play. I miss when MNF actually had good announcers.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:08 pm
  • AubHawk71 wrote:I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football.

Not a fully formed thought, but wouldn't the opposite be true. The theory behind shaping is that they are trying to keep the game close so as not to lose viewership late in the game. Since gambling is based on probability / predictability wouldn't that help the book by reducing variability and drive interest from fans whose team always has a shot?
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:24 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

I see I'm not getting anywhere with you, you're too far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. God speed. It was the right call, but you go on with your bad self.

LOL yer ass Sarge, Moore did NOT push him out...I absolutely DID watch in freeze frames throughout the entire play, Moore didn't even touch Tartt until he was ALREADY OUT.
    You're not getting anywhere with me because I recognize when someone is trying to blow smoke up my arse.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:26 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

LOL yer ass Sarge, Moore did NOT push him out...I absolutely DID watch in freeze frames throughout the entire play, Moore didn't even touch Tartt until he was ALREADY OUT.
    You're not getting anywhere with me because I recognize when someone is trying to blow smoke up my arse.

I think you have a poor understanding of the rules. Please cite which penalty should have been enforced, referencing the NFL rule book.
    HawkStrong
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:36 pm
  • The biggest problem I have is if you are going to protect the QBs and preach player safety then protect all QBs. Not just the statues but the scramblers as well. Newton is another QB that takes some pretty crappy hits that never get called just because he is athletic.

Wilson was clearly giving himself up and was taking shots.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:39 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    AubHawk71 wrote:I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football.

Not a fully formed thought, but wouldn't the opposite be true. The theory behind shaping is that they are trying to keep the game close so as not to lose viewership late in the game. Since gambling is based on probability / predictability wouldn't that help the book by reducing variability and drive interest from fans whose team always has a shot?

Last time I looked a guess is, by definition, not a full formed thought. If I ABSOLUTELY thought/knew I wouldn't call it a guess. Hmm, I don't quite get your logic. Honest. If the NFL is trying to keep the game close, that is purely for viewership purposes, the NFL is not betting on the game or has a Fantasy team. Which is really just betting too. They want to keep the game close to keep people watching, to heck with point spreads and individual stats. No?
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:01 pm

LOL, what game did you watch? SF had 5 penalties called on them all game. :pukeface:

NBC

3. Poor officiating

Seattle was called for two dubious helmet-to-helmet penalties. Neiko Thorpe made what appeared to be a perfect tackle on punt coverage, and Quinton Jefferson was flagged for lowering his helmet against Garoppolo, a penalty that wiped out a sack.

Meanwhile, the refs missed a late hit and a separate facemask against Wilson. The facemask came on the play where San Francisco scored a defensive touchdown. It's never wise to play the "blame the refs" game, but Seattle had a few legitimate gripes in this one.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:04 pm
  • OK, I think I see what you are getting at. It's kind of high concept pretzel logic but...

You're saying that the NFL would WANT to keep to the pre-game predictions without messing with probability so as to not anger the sports bettors and fantasy players. That would make sense if they weren't concerned with general advertising revenue first and foremost. In your scenario, the majority of viewers would have to be betting on the game to make it work for the NFL revenue.

I would GUESS the vast majority of people watching the game don't have any stake in it besides their team winning.
    AubHawk71
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information