What would it take for Wilson to win MVP?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Does Mahomes have to get injured?

Does Carroll have to change the offense to be more pass orientated? Perhaps forced into it anyway because the defense is not consistently strong?

Does Metcalf have to quickly mature into one of the league's top wideouts?

Does Dissly have to stay healthy?

Does Seattle have to win the NFC West?

Do all of the above have to happen?

Lockett is probably the only thing we can hang our hat on at the moment with regard to consistent reliability to help the cause.

Is it way to early to have this discussion? Or.....for Russell to have a realistic chance, does the discussion have to start now? In other words, does the lobbying have to start early and often?
    Last edited by Mick063 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

• A near perfect passer rating and a Super Bowl win. Oh, and he'd have to wear lifts in his cleats.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• I think it will take a first round bye and leading the league in two of these three stats: passing TDs, passing yards (meaningless but voters care), and passer rating.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• TreeRon wrote:A near perfect passer rating and a Super Bowl win. Oh, and he'd have to wear lifts in his cleats.

Voting happens at the end of the regular season. Winning the Super Bowl would be irrelevant.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• If RW keeps playing as he has..How can he not win?
    The no interceptions is impressive and he seems to
    have found his running mojo..Qb rating is great.
    Keep it going and he'll win easy.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah first round bye, Mahomes slipping a little and the same pace he's on.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Mahomes would need to be injured.

To me this award is highly just a popularity contest anyways.

We here know how important RW is to the team, but Mahomes plays that chuck and duck style that seemingly is new age ball, his passing stats are off the charts comparatively. The voters don't look very deeply at which player is the most valuable to that player's team.

That said: RW is having a career year, so far and is 'The Man' with 4th quarter comebacks. I'd vote for him but I'm biased. I love Mahomes as a QB too, he's Favre reincarnated.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Play for any other team but Alaska. :laugh:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Mahomes out for the season.

If PH puts up anywhere near similar numbers to Wilson he would win it over Wilson.
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

• Seattle would have to move south by at least 500 miles and east by at least 1000 miles.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Mahomes has to face plant.

He is the face of the new NFL and will be for the next 15 years. As long as he puts up deserving numbers, he will be tough for anyone to beat.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• IndyHawk wrote:If RW keeps playing as he has..How can he not win?
    The no interceptions is impressive and he seems to
    have found his running mojo..Qb rating is great.
    Keep it going and he'll win easy.

Guess who else has no interceptions.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• He would have to be on a championship caliber team to win that beauty contest now . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Mahomes has to get hurt, or his gaudy stats need to at least stop leading to wins.

You can argue he has a better surrounding cast, but it's also undeniable that Mahomes is ridiculously good. No shame in being second to him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Play in Dallas, L. A market or New York, but they will give him the Mr. Congeniality award.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Russell could beat Mahomes in completion percentage, touchdowns, and overall efficiency. But he won’t beat Mahomes in yards, which, stupidly many fans and media seem to value.

The media is too deep into the Mahomes bandwagon to back off now :pukeface: . It won’t matter that:

A) Mahomes has never had to play behind a bad O-line
    B) Mahomes would not perform as well under Schotty as he is under Andy Reid
    C) The Chiefs were 4-0 and winning their division before Mahomes became the starter
    D) The Chiefs have a better team top to bottom than the Seahawks. Arguably better defense, better O-line, better scheme, better weapons

The media will overlook all of that, and even if Wilson and Mahomes are neck and neck in TD passes, Mahomes will win it. People struggle to distinguish between a great talent and a great QB. Mahomes is a great talent, and may evolve into even more greatness. But Russell, and even Tom Brady are better QUARTERBACKS. Better at reading defenses, arguably more accurate, and have shown that they can carry a team no matter the circumstance
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• First round bye, among the top two in TDs and passer rating, and continue to have monster games on primetime and he’s got a shot. Keep in mind, Mahomes might have the same resume though and will likely be #1 in TDs.
    Last edited by Seanhawk on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• TreeRon wrote:A near perfect passer rating and a Super Bowl win. Oh, and he'd have to wear lifts in his cleats.

Yep.

I was watching First Take yesterday to torture myself. And Max Kellerman said that if Mahomes was on the Seahawks, the Seahawks would be BETTER. I almost fell out of my chair.

So Mahomes, behind our O-line, and with Schotty instead of Andy Reid (and I like Schotty but, Reid is a genius). -And without Travis Kelce. Yea...Mahomes would absolutely, without a doubt be better on our team.

LOL. Media bias is a real thing folks :lol:
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Seahwkgal wrote:Play for any other team but Alaska. :laugh:

I was going to say the exact same thing.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• Mahomie could hit 6000 yards if he stays healthy. People go nuts for those kind of stats.

Russ would have to throw close to zero INTs and keep his completion percentage where it is this whole season to swing votes.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• McGruff wrote:Mahomes has to face plant.

He is the face of the new NFL and will be for the next 15 years. As long as he puts up deserving numbers, he will be tough for anyone to beat.

This, plus Russ ' performance will not be able to tail off like the last time there was conversation about him winning the award.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Not sure. I will say his though. I’d be happy with Mahomes winning it this year if Russell was able to actually play against and beat Mahomes in this years Superb Owl.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• There is no shame in being second to Mahomes. Russ is playing out of his mind this year, which equates to what Mahomes has shown for all 21 games of his career. For Russ to win he would need to end up with the #1 seed, something like 4,500 yds a 40/5 TD/INT ratio and a 120 QBR, while Mahomes falls off his normal play.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• Two things must happen:

Russ maintain his high level of performance.
    His rivals experience a few bad games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• If Seattle had a scheme like KC's or LAR's, where receivers get open so often, this wouldn't be a question. From a strictly QB standpoint, RW is better than Mahomes.

Nothing against Mahomes, I like his talent, and his character, but his job comes easier to him than Wilson's.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

• Erebus wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:A near perfect passer rating and a Super Bowl win. Oh, and he'd have to wear lifts in his cleats.

Voting happens at the end of the regular season. Winning the Super Bowl would be irrelevant.

Thanks, my error.

I don't think he can win it then. Every talking head on TV has anointed Mahomes the winner as long as the earth still spins. As long as they say it, every "fan" that watches these shows will parrot what they say.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• 12AngryHawks wrote:If Seattle had a scheme like KC's or LAR's, where receivers get open so often, this wouldn't be a question. From a strictly QB standpoint, RW is better than Mahomes.

Nothing against Mahomes, I like his talent, and his character, but his job comes easier to him than Wilson's.

Exactly THIS^

The term MOST VALUABLE is in regards to the team that the player is on. Russell Wilson is unequivocally the most valuable part of the Seattle Seahawks success. Without RW, we're probably still looking for our first win of the season.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• Who cares? It's a team game.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• DomeHawk wrote:Who cares? It's a team game.

It's still a valid question. Thanks for the helpful insight on this topic.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:Seattle would have to move south by at least 500 miles and east by at least 1000 miles.

Is that where they were when Alexander won it?

Wilson needs to lead the NFL in TDs and QBR. Have the team.in the playoffs with a bye. Then it's 50-50
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• acer1240 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Who cares? It's a team game.

The bigger question is would he say that if it was Carson or Wagner? Fyi some of us cares as it would be nice for one of our players to be recognized.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• MVP in a Super Bowl win. But I guess they would rather pick a random Seahawks player with a pick or two.
    Last edited by ballard1951 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ballard1951
    NET Practice Squad

• chris98251 wrote:Play in Dallas, L. A market or New York, but they will give him the Mr. Congeniality award.

I know you love to whine about east coast bias, and sometimes it works that way.

But this isnt one of them.

Wilson will come in 2nd to Mahomes because Mahomes is just flat out better.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Scorpion05 wrote:Russell could beat Mahomes in completion percentage, touchdowns, and overall efficiency. But he won’t beat Mahomes in yards, which, stupidly many fans and media seem to value.

The media is too deep into the Mahomes bandwagon to back off now :pukeface: . It won’t matter that:

C) The Chiefs were 4-0 and winning their division before Mahomes became the starter
    D) The Chiefs have a better team top to bottom than the Seahawks. Arguably better defense, better O-line, better scheme, better weapons

The media will overlook all of that, and even if Wilson and Mahomes are neck and neck in TD passes, Mahomes will win it. People struggle to distinguish between a great talent and a great QB. Mahomes is a great talent, and may evolve into even more greatness. But Russell, and even Tom Brady are better QUARTERBACKS. Better at reading defenses, arguably more accurate, and have shown that they can carry a team no matter the circumstance

B is speculation, C is not true.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• acer1240 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Who cares? It's a team game.

At this point in the season it's a moot point.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• McGruff wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Play in Dallas, L. A market or New York, but they will give him the Mr. Congeniality award.

I know you love to whine about east coast bias, and sometimes it works that way.

Lol no because he has much better talent around him and a pass first coach. Those are facts yours is an opinion.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Civilization as we know it to collapse! Plain and simple.
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie

• McGruff wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:Russell could beat Mahomes in completion percentage, touchdowns, and overall efficiency. But he won’t beat Mahomes in yards, which, stupidly many fans and media seem to value.

B is speculation, C is not true.

B is an educated guess. Unless you’re going to also argue Joe Montana would perform as well under Schotty as he would under Bill Walsh? One of the greatest offensive minds...ever? Are you going to argue that defensive coordinators don’t matter too?

Andy Reid’s schemes have objectively increased the stats of every QB in that system. Anyone watching film of that offense can see how absolutely ingenious his schemes are.

And C is accurate. The Chiefs started 5-0 in 2017 with Alex Smith, and won the division. They won it in 2016 too, and finished 11-5 in 2015. Mahomes absolutely did NOT inherit a bad team. And Andy Reid’s teams have always been built around offense.

Even for all of the dismissiveness of Russ inheriting the LOB, he also never inherited a team built around offense to bolster him as a QB
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• [quote="GeekHawk"]Seattle would have to move south by at least 500 miles and east by at least 1000 miles.[/quote

Denver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Rookie

• McGruff wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Play in Dallas, L. A market or New York, but they will give him the Mr. Congeniality award.

Not Even close,McNabb looked great in Reids system also, then Reid got fired and McNabb became a guy.

Mahomes is a good QB, better then McNabb better then Smith who also looked all world in that system, I would love to see how Mahomes deals with adversity, pressure and win in a conservive offense.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• McGruff wrote:

Not Even close,McNabb looked great in Reids system also, then Reid got fired and McNabb became a guy.

Mahomes is a good QB, better then McNabb better then Smith who also looked all world in that system, I would love to see how Mahomes deals with adversity, pressure and win in a conservive offense.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    McGruff wrote:

How many MVPs did McNabb and Smith win? I forgot the exact number . . .

Any objective observer can see that while Wilson is a fabulous quarterback, Mahomes is on another level.

It not a criticism or even a slight. Mahomes is just that much better than anyone playing.

Sorry, not sorry.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• And Smith never looked "all world" in any system.

He went from perfectly and exceedingly average to decently good under Reid.

Never would anyone have put him in the top 10 at any time.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• A lot of whiners on this site. I guess it’s true that half our fan base joined in 2012. Location has nothing to do with the MVP vote. It mattered in the 80s and 90s, but as the internet grew in popularity, everyone could see who’s good and who’s not. Shaun Alexander won the MVP in 2005. And the Seahawks get a lot more media attention now than they did in 2005.

I do think Mahomes is more likely to win simply because of volume. He throws a lot more than Russ, which leads to higher counting stats like yards and TDs.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Hes also just playing at another level.

Just watch the games. Russ is awesome. No taking away from that.

But Mahomes is playing at a legendary level and shows no signs of stopping.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Mahomes excels in Reid’s system.

In Seattle, Russell Wilson is the system.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Mahomes would excell in any system.

Not sure the same could be said about Russell.

And yes, Mahomes on our team would make us better. And make Mahomes look worse.

But regardless, it is what it is. Mahomes playing better.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I'm going to say this now.

The Chiefs didn't make it to the Superbowl, yet Mahomes was the face of Madden. It seems to me as if Wilson just has to beat Mahomes and every other QB in ratings at least by one or more to get MVP
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

• Easier said than done.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• McGruff wrote:Mahomes would excell in any system.

Not sure the same could be said about Russell.

And yes, Mahomes on our team would make us better. And make Mahomes look worse.

But regardless, it is what it is. Mahomes playing better.

Really? Mahomes is playing better? Not to diminish Mahomes but Russell is playing on another level as well. To think Mahomes is head and shoulders above Russell is ridiculous. Both can be paying great. Mahomes is playing in a system designed for a quarterback to shine. Russell is making a systme shine designed for running backs. Mahomes is playing great but I would take Russell over him all day and every day. Mahomes has 1 1/4 years of doing well. Russ has how many years playing top level? Remember when Andrew Luck was better than Russ? Remember when Cam Newton was better than Russ? Remember when just about everyone was better than Russ? Mahomes may well be the second coming of christ but it will take hime several more years playing at a top level for me to believe it.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information