Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious what others expectations are for DK.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • McGruff wrote:Except Heyward Bey was like, the 7th overall pick.
    Anyone watched enough of Bey to figure out what was lacking in his game? Sure got the speed and opportunities, but certainly failed to become a go to WR. Butter fingers? poor football IQ? lousy route running? what went wrong?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• I was quite low as it turns out. Glad DK performed better then I expected.
    richp01
    NET Bench Warmer

• Pretty much exceeded everyone's expectations. Even fans that two fisted the hype.

Sgt. Largent wrote:- effort
    -humility
    - growth
    - health

The production we're all talking about here is predicated on these things.........and I think we will see it from DK, nothing we've seen so far has shown anything else.

This is definitely an understated aspect of how rookies perform and even grow during their 2nd year.

One lesson that we as fans of this process should take away from DK's performance this year, is that really at any position and with every prospect, there is more than one way to get the job done. We (all fans and pundits) continually fall into the trap of finding 'the next X' or making player comparisons to try to make predictions of how a player will turn out. But every player is their own archetype.

Metcalf didn't improve his 3 cone this year. He didn't improve his lateral agility to a great degree. Those liabilities still exist. But he's used other tools to compensate.

He doesn't run a terribly limited tree. What we've seen, is that he can run curls/out patterns and succeed famously. Because his other traits (size and speed) force DBs to play off him or bail aggressively. He can succeed with lower agility based on the difference in how he's covered.

I mentioned this early before the season, that I thought he'd have to learn the tricks of the trade that made Michael Irvin successful. The ability to get open when the ball arrived, not before. Irvin was similarly saddled with less than ideal lateral agility (not unlike just about every big WR). But he compensated with skill and other gifts.

I figured DK would maybe pick that up by end of year two. But I think we all saw his growth this year in virtually all aspects of his craft. He's just way ahead of the development curve and it's due to the aforementioned traits above. I hope those traits serve him well in the upcoming offseason, because it's a portent of a very significant jump in production in year two.

He has the real opportunity and ability to become special in this league. He's been fantastic this year, and I think everyone would admit that he's left a TON of yards and points on the field. He has so much room to grow it's really kind of scary. Not just with greater use, but also improving the near misses with the opportunities he's already had. What we've seen this season may only be 60%-70 of his realistic and achievable potential in year two.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Great revisit. Lots of folks in the ballpark with the exception on the pro-Jazz contingent. At this point it is comical but I could see how they were swayed during preseason. :stirthepot:
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I really want to see him start going down more once he has more than one defender on him.

It is no coincidence we have so many guys injured, because they are always fighting for yards. When 3 guys are on you, you go down. Ideally with 2. It is not worth the 2 extra yards to take that many additional hits from different angles.

Not everybody can be Marshawn. Go down when you have 2 defenders on you.

I was in a bar in that last game, Metcalf made a catch - everyone cheered. Then he started fighting for yards and the entire bar screamed NO NO NO almost in unison. They were waiting for the fumble (that never happened). The run into the EZ after the catch was different, nobody touched him.

But damnit, our guys need to stop fighting for yards. Not only is there injury risk, but that is where the fumbles happen too.

Otherwise he is stellar. And the issues with his hands are overstated, most of those are in the rain. I have seen him make great catches outside in the frame as long as it isn't raining. He only seems to be inconsistent in wet weather - which is understandable.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• well he pretty much tripled my expectations so way to go rookie!!!

I never saw the smarts and work ethic which clearly elevated him past the usual WR rookies. He clearly caught on to the pro game quickly much like Tyler and Doug. A pleasant surprise. If only we'd have been so lucky with Collier ><
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• H ugh Millen had a lot to say about him on monday Qb. Saw his route ability in college. He has been a fan of his since.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:well he pretty much tripled my expectations so way to go rookie!!!

I never saw the smarts and work ethic which clearly elevated him past the usual WR rookies. He clearly caught on to the pro game quickly much like Tyler and Doug. A pleasant surprise. If only we'd have been so lucky with Collier ><

Russ has even called him a "Hall of Game studier". This coming from someone like Russ is huge praise imo.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• richp01 wrote:I have been listing to radio shows, TV shows and podcasts in regards to DK. And the hype around him is quite impressive. I have only seen the Denver game and he does appear to have talent and I am wondering what others on here have in regards to expectations. Considering our offense and it typically takes rookie WR's two or 3 years, I personally would consider a very good rookie season if he ends up with 40 rec. 600 yards and 4-5 TD's. I am curious what others think?

He beat that expectation.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

• I made a bet way back that he would get at least 800 yards receiving, and now he's already well over it.

My friend lost the bet! Haha, go suck on onions!
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• Being honest, at draft time, I was hoping they'd get Harry. But thankfully, they didn't listen to me, despite all the emails I wrote them (JK).
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter

• Well Angry, looks like maybe they like my messages better than they liked yours! :lol:
    All I know is I believe DK is the real deal and I don't know how they could have done better.
    Appyhawk
    NET Veteran

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Appyhawk wrote:Well Angry, looks like maybe they like my messages better than they liked yours! :lol:
    All I know is I believe DK is the real deal and I don't know how they could have done better.

Dude, I just noticed you are quoting yourself in your sig. REALLY?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Previous

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information