DK Metcalf

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I mean, it's not as bad as the clip everyone has been making fun of him for (which is why he posted this), but rounding off a 10 yard out 1 yard early and three yards late really isn't anything to brag about. :lol:

I think he'll be okay and plenty of guys work well with limited route trees, but if it were me I'd try to primarily only rely on him for flys, posts, corners, and slants.

I just don't know if it's worth the INT risk for digs, outs, comebacks, and curls.

McGruff

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3fn4ymmu said:
I mean, it's not as bad as the clip everyone has been making fun of him for (which is why he posted this), but rounding off a 10 yard out 1 yard early and three yards late really isn't anything to brag about. :lol:

I think he'll be okay and plenty of guys work well with limited route trees, but if it were me I'd try to primarily only rely on him for flys, posts, corners, and slants.

I just don't know if it's worth the INT risk for digs, outs, comebacks, and curls.

Do you know what a speed out is?

McGruff

Reaction score
Virtually no one run classic out route any more. They are too slow and too hard to time.

The speed out is supposed to be rounded so as to maintain top speed through the route.

Metcalf is running a textbook speed out here.

John63

Reaction score
McGruff":22k15jtd said:
Virtually no one run classic out route any more. They are too slow and too hard to time.

The speed out is supposed to be rounded so as to maintain top speed through the route.

How you run an out route depends on a lot of things you can see in the drill DK ran, It depends on the defensive position and more. I have not seen a sharp cut out route in the NFL in years. Not even DOug ran them sharp. so I am not worried about it.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm not worried in the slightest.

Year one DK has to do three things, all of which he has proven capable.

Run deep and jump

Back shoulder catch

Simple comebacks.

A speed out is gravy IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
McGruff":njjog3cp said:

Good point re: the speed route, which is likely what he's doing here.

Fundamentally disagree that people don't run traditional out routes anymore though.

You can find a bunch of people going 90 degrees off their stem from last year here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ED5_dmGDA

toffee

Reaction score
I think we all agreed that DK has his limitations, but we all also agreed that he has his strength. For year one, team could build on his strength while work on his limitations. Hey very now and then, surprise the opposing team by having him run something that they wasn't expecting? But those surprises should not be his go to plays.

pehawk

Reaction score
Even if he can only pull down 2 out of every 10 deep balls thrown to him, it'll be huge. He's gonna force safeties to account for him deep. Which will open up the middle for Lockett, Dissley, screens, and more.

His speed and size are the only things that matter right now.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
pehawk":1pf9kkx6 said:
Even if he can only pull down 2 out of every 10 deep balls thrown to him, it'll be huge. He's gonna force safeties to account for him deep. Which will open up the middle for Lockett, Dissley, screens, and more.

This is how I viewed Randy Moss's rookie year. Just throw the ball deep to him a couple times, he's gonna catch at least one, probably more. If he can do that, it will be a successful rookie season.

I think a few other areas he can really help out could be blocking on bubble screens or other screens and reverses. I could even see him catching a bubble screen with his speed and size and being in space a bit? Could be interesting.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ni9rcun said:
pehawk":2ni9rcun said:

This is how I viewed Randy Moss's rookie year. Just throw the ball deep to him a couple times, he's gonna catch at least one, probably more. If he can do that, it will be a successful rookie season.

I think a few other areas he can really help out could be blocking on bubble screens or other screens and reverses. I could even see him catching a bubble screen with his speed and size and being in space a bit? Could be interesting.
I suspect our coaches are working on stuff like that. I remember pre-draft, there were undertones that Metcalf was better at route running than many knew, that he wasn't used that way in much college but that he could run routes if asked to.

Is gonna be interesting. We really loaded up on WRs this year. Hopefully one or two of them can fill in the void left after Doug. I don't have a problem with showcasing Lockett, either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":3ouis2il said:
I think we all agreed that DK has his limitations, but we all also agreed that he has his strength. For year one, team could build on his strength while work on his limitations. Hey very now and then, surprise the opposing team by having him run something that they wasn't expecting? But those surprises should not be his go to plays.

What rookie WR doesn't have limitations? Very few WR's come out of college and don't have a steep learning curve.........especially WR's like Metcalf that came from rudimentary passing offenses like Ole Miss.

I mean, it's one of the main reasons he dropped down to us, teams knew he might be a project with schemes, precision and route running.

What I like seeing is the humility and work ethic in these videos. That IMO is half of why I'm not worried about DK, the other half is his insane physical attributes. FINALLY we've got our big bodied physical receiver that can go up and get those 50/50 balls Russell likes to throw up for his receivers to make a play on............and he runs a 4.33? HELL YES shoot that right into my veins.

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":uyfcgu2s said:
pehawk":uyfcgu2s said:

Let's hope so.

Also, anyone else get a TO vibe from him? The obsessive working out, a hint of emotional instability/immaturity, crying, things he hasn't admitted about himself yet, etc? I do...and it has me beyond stoked. If I'm right on the TO comp it's gonna be glorious for a good 5 years. Of course the other side of that is after year five he'll be doing teary-eyed pushups, in a Bellevue driveway, while Rosenhous speaks of hold out demands.

pehawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":lr202c1w said:
? TO vibe? He hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Give the kid a chance.

I was speaking from an emotional standpoint and it's certainly not a negative either.

toffee

Reaction score
pehawk":390epyi8 said:
HawkGA":390epyi8 said:
pehawk":390epyi8 said:

Let's hope so.

Also, anyone else get a TO vibe from him? The obsessive working out, a hint of emotional instability/immaturity, crying, things he hasn't admitted about himself yet, etc? I do...and it has me beyond stoked. If I'm right on the TO comp it's gonna be glorious for a good 5 years. Of course the other side of that is after year five he'll be doing teary-eyed pushups in a Bellevue driveway while Rosenhous speaks of a hold out demands.

On paper DK is faster than TO, not sure if those track speed will translate into on field prowess. Let’s hope DK will have a better career than Lockette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Just remember with his speed and size they first thing DB's will do is punch him in the mouth and see if he can get off the line and handle the physical aspect.

If he can and gets by them nobody is going to be able to turn and catch him.

They will be playing off ten yards by the end of the season which will open up a lot of the other routes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great point. It's always a big transition from College to the NFL. Will be fun to watch him grow as a player. But yeah, a lot more physical in the NFL.