Has Bobby Wagner extension been impacted by crowded LB room?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • With the signing of Cody Barton the LB group is the deepest position on the team at this time. Will extending Wagner still be a top priority for the FA ? I hope they have enough sense to extend the future HOFer ASAP.
    Last edited by Jville on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Edited subject line to more clearly describe OP's intended topic
    xray
    NET Veteran

Re: Crowded LB room
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am
  • I'm sure that the number of bodies in the room will have no bearing on the attempt to re-sign Wags. No rookie is taking his job.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 am
  • /thread
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 am
  • It's tricky. They've been burned by how many 3rd contracts and players hitting the age he is hitting? I mean he looks great, but he's right at that age where almost every middle linebacker falls off a cliff.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 am
  • I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

Our LB room is full of bodies, but let's see them in real game action before calling it deep. We have plenty of questions still to be answered.
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 am
  • Would Bobby be willing to sign a short-term extension for no more than 3 years? I'd be okay with that length.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 am
  • nwHawk wrote:I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

Our LB room is full of bodies, but let's see them in real game action before calling it deep. We have plenty of questions still to be answered.

He wants a 5 year deal like Mosely with more money of course . He will not give a discount either. Personally I have no problem giving him what he wants. He's just 29 and has been mostly healthy his whole career ; and is the best at his position in the NFL. If they want to make a SB run soon they need him as much as they need Wilson . IMO...extend him.
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:26 am
  • CalgaryHawk wrote:Would Bobby be willing to sign a short-term extension for no more than 3 years? I'd be okay with that length.

No. Bobby wants a five year deal and more guaranteed money than Mosley...........and he'll get it. This is a young defense, a very young defense. We desperately not only need Bobby's play, but we desperately need him to anchor the defense, captain it, and be the defensive leader.

MLB's can play well into their mid 30's, don't be worried about a five year deal with Bobby.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    CalgaryHawk wrote:Would Bobby be willing to sign a short-term extension for no more than 3 years? I'd be okay with that length.

No. Bobby wants a five year deal and more guaranteed money than Mosley...........and he'll get it. This is a young defense, a very young defense. We desperately not only need Bobby's play, but we desperately need him to anchor the defense, captain it, and be the defensive leader.

MLB's can play well into their mid 30's, don't be worried about a five year deal with Bobby.

So much this. Spot on! :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 am
  • He might get 5 years, but I would think the contract would be written to allow us to cut him after the 3rd year without to much dead money. Otherwise, it might be next man up, which would be sad.
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 am
  • I'd like to see the team get this distraction put in the rearview mirror.

Wagner's worth 5yrs certainly and after the Jets screwed up the LBs $, close to Mosley money.

JS, get this deal done.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 am
  • The team usually keeps 6-7 players at the position. The final number depends upon injury and other intangibles.

After Wagner and Wright the questions begin. Will Kendricks be available or sentenced to jail? I can't see the team releasing Barton or Burr-Kirven, and believe Shaquem will survive another season but nothing is for certain. His exceptional speed is worth keeping around for ST though. Mingo might be on the bubble b/c of his cap number but played acceptably well last season. This leaves Justin Currie, Austin Calitro, Emmanuel Ellerbee hard on the bubble.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 am
  • nwHawk wrote:I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

That's not what people said about Sherman, Earl, or Bennett in retrospect.

What they said was "no more big contracts to old guys".
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:00 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    nwHawk wrote:I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

That's not what people said about Sherman, Earl, or Bennett in retrospect.

What they said was "no more big contracts to old guys".

It was more like "no more big contracts to guys who are negative pains in the ass distractions." Bobby's done nothing but buy in, behave and be a great model teammate, leader and citizen.

So I have no doubt that's going to be the main reason he's not treated the same as the players you mentioned, by fans or our front office..........and given the extension.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm
  • Well said Sgt.

Plus, Bobby is still at the top of his position while being a model Seahawk. He's a player fans can really appreciate. Get the deal done JS.
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:40 pm
  • Hawks and Bobby will have a deal shortly.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:29 pm

• Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm
  • This is all very good news!
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:38 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

I look at this as good news.

Looking at Barkevious Mingo's contract, he has the opportunity to collect some serious money. So I would think he would be well motivated to provide some serious pass rush.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am
  • I'm not sure if Pete's defense ideally wants to tie up that much money to the middle linebacker spot but I also can't see them letting him walk like others have been able to do. My guy says they sign him to a longer deal but can bail early if they have to. I love Wagz but not sure 18+ million for a middle linebacker makes the most sense on paper at almost 30. Tough decision especially if the young guys are as good as advertised. Could we see another Frank situation?
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:I'm not sure if Pete's defense ideally wants to tie up that much money to the middle linebacker spot but I also can't see them letting him walk like others have been able to do. My guy says they sign him to a longer deal but can bail early if they have to. I love Wagz but not sure 18+ million for a middle linebacker makes the most sense on paper at almost 30. Tough decision especially if the young guys are as good as advertised. Could we see another Frank situation?

Certainly possible if Bobby's asking for the moon.

Guarantee you both BBK and Barton being drafted were a direct result of Pete and John hedging against Bobby possibly not being here long term.

I sure hope he's here, IMO we need him to anchor the next young Hawk defense.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:09 am
  • They were also drafted because there were no LB's drafted for years because of KJ and Wags.

Young blood was/is needed regardless of contracts. Barton in the 2nd round says it all.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:57 pm
  • It was SS-Blair that was drafted in the 2nd rd., LB- Barton was drafted in the 3rd @ pick #88.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information