Running Back Rashaad Penny OTA Press Conference 6/6/19

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • quadsas wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Always look on the dark side of life.

    Holy negativity!


    If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.


    Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.


    I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

    And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole


    All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

    If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.


    Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.


    I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

    And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole


    All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

    If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.


    I never said he was a bust. When did I say that he cannot improve? Jesus christ, it's ridiculous. He was trash last season, he could be all time great this season. Was still trash last year
    quadsas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm


  • quadsas wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.


    I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

    And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole


    All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

    If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.


    I never said he was a bust. When did I say that he cannot improve? Jesus christ, it's ridiculous. He was trash last season, he could be all time great this season. Was still trash last year


    Calling him trash is basically calling him a bust, I'd say trash is actually a stronger word. I get why you say he was "trash" last season, I wouldn't go that far myself, but I see why you say it, and by that logic, Carson was "trash" his rookie season, and now you're saying he's lightyears ahead of Penny, prime example of counting your chickens before they hatch.

    The reason you have people arguing with you on the topic, is because you're coming off as labeling Penny as trash in general and not stating specifically that he just had a bad season (depending on how one looks at it). And it didn't help that you use the word trash, which people here might think is a rather harsh term for a player like him. There are some players I myself would call trash, but Penny isn't on that list.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 187
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


  • Elemas wrote:Love Carson but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Penny take over as the #1 back. From what I understand, in addition to the normal "rookie" curve, he didn't come into camp with the mentality nor shape he needed to live up to his draft potential. That coupled with injury...it wasn't that spectacular.

    He definitely needs to be multidimensional and not just a "potential to break for big yards" kind of guy. Without a larger sample size, YPC shouldn't be used as a standard (as in, Penny's is > than Carson's).

    I'm sure most of us would love to see 1K plus from both backs. Who knows what the season holds.

    Calling Penny "trash" is a bit premature but, if nothing changes within the next two years or so, I'd agree at that point.


    Not sure if you watched his presser but he talked about last seadon
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3565
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am


  • I hope he does well this year.

    That being said he was a terrible choice in the spot he was drafted and underperformed to many drafted later. He did not look or play like a first rounder and in all the redraft articles was nowhere to be found. One prominent one considered him the worst pick in the draft. Other RBs drafted didn’t seem to need a year to figure it out.

    Again, I hope he proves wrong and I eat crow but as of today he is NOT a bust but he has also not proven to be an NFL quality RB and is a looooong ways from showing he was worth a FIRST round draft choice.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 134
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

    And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole


    All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

    If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.


    I never said he was a bust. When did I say that he cannot improve? Jesus christ, it's ridiculous. He was trash last season, he could be all time great this season. Was still trash last year


    Calling him trash is basically calling him a bust, I'd say trash is actually a stronger word. I get why you say he was "trash" last season, I wouldn't go that far myself, but I see why you say it, and by that logic, Carson was "trash" his rookie season, and now you're saying he's lightyears ahead of Penny, prime example of counting your chickens before they hatch.


    The reason you have people arguing with you on the topic, is because you're coming off as labeling Penny as trash in general and not stating specifically that he just had a bad season (depending on how one looks at it). And it didn't help that you use the word trash, which people here might think is a rather harsh term for a player like him. There are some players I myself would call trash, but Penny isn't on that list.


    So youre saying players cannot go from trash to great in a season? And yes, he's had one season in the league, and he was trash, so what else am I supposed to base my opinion about his play on? Draft position? College production? And Carson clearly wasnt trash in his rookie season. And if I'd rather not see you on the field, then in my opinion you're trash. And if you wanted to see Penny instead of Carson on the field last season, you're insane.

    :177692: Enough!

    Let's stay on topic and refrain from repeating assertions over and over again. Once is sufficient.
    Last edited by Jville on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Bickering is not the topic.
    quadsas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Penny says he is under 230lbs but was vague about how much extra weigh he burdened himself with in his rookie season.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8836
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:Penny says he is under 230lbs but was vague about how much extra weigh he burdened himself with in his rookie season.
    not sure if I remember correctly but didn’t Pete said Penny was 240 last OTA or TC?
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1857
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


  • toffee wrote:
    Jville wrote:Penny says he is under 230lbs but was vague about how much extra weigh he burdened himself with in his rookie season.
    not sure if I remember correctly but didn’t Pete said Penny was 240 last OTA or TC?

    Could have been. I honestly don't recall a number. Overweight issues was a theme in 2018. Diet and good weight seem to be a focus for 2019. I'm anticipating better movement, endurance and fourth quarter finish.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8836
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • I think he was at least 240. They mentioned conditioning as a factor last season. At a "normal" playing weight, both him and Carson have hovered at 220.

    I wonder what Penny's at now. With his run style, it seems he'd benefit from a much lower weight... Carson on the other hand is a bruiser.

    Whatever the case, I think the Hawks are going to be great (like last season) with the run.

    Just hope we use RWs arm a bit more.
    Elemas
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • Penny had a few issues coming into last season and sill produced very good yards per carry.

    In shape and knowing the playbook and hopefully able to put a chip on his shoulder to dish out a bit of punishment will help him a lot. He isn't the type of back that runs over and thru you with a look to deal punishment. He will be yes, more a Faulk type back, Catch and dart and slide thru holes and in the open field.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27772
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • This is not my intention to bash Penny ; but there are a couple things from last year that seemed evident about him. His YPC stat ; that some keep pointing out where inflated by a few breakaway runs on what appeared to be broken plays. I am also not alone when noticing that he doesn't like much contact and seems easy to bring down. I guess what I am trying to say ; is that he seems to lack the rough and tough hard nosed attitude that a 3 down starting RB needs. In fairness to him he didn't get a bunch of touches to show us everything he's got to offer ; or did he ? We will see his second season soon. GO HAWKS
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 869
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • There's a handful of posters here who I know for sure are Penny haters who have stayed out of posting to this thread. I'd love to hear what they have to say regarding Penny right now.

    He seems to be in good spirits and is determined to do whatever it takes to improve on last year and prove that he is worth the first round pick. That's exactly the mentality you want from your players.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1568
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


  • Just to be clear ..... it's the intolerable name calling and personal attacks that need to go elsewhere.

    Where-as, genuine well stated reservations and/or good spirited constructive criticism is welcomed.

    I know in my own case I need to work at getting better one day at a time every day ....... just like Rashaad Penny and most of the Seahawks community.

    Go Hawks!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 8836
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • I think this will be a great year for Penny, Carson, and group of rbs. There seems to be lots of competition at the position which is good. Penny had a good rookie season. He rushed for 400+ yards on less than 100 carries. That looks pretty good and productive as a rookie to me. Hopefully he improves upon that and has an even better 2nd season. It just helps the Seahawks and in the end that is all that matters.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7500
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • xray wrote:This is not my intention to bash Penny ; but there are a couple things from last year that seemed evident about him. His YPC stat ; that some keep pointing out where inflated by a few breakaway runs on what appeared to be broken plays. I am also not alone when noticing that he doesn't like much contact and seems easy to bring down. I guess what I am trying to say ; is that he seems to lack the rough and tough hard nosed attitude that a 3 down starting RB needs. In fairness to him he didn't get a bunch of touches to show us everything he's got to offer ; or did he ? We will see his second season soon. GO HAWKS


    Who cares if he doesn't like contact. Plenty of great rbs didn't like contact and were successful. Shaun Alexander didn't like contact but he still produced. Improve the OL (which I believe that is now happening) and Penny can be a devastating rb. He may never be a Lynch type but not everyone is. Lynch types don't stay in the league very long due to their style of running. Just because he's a different runner doesn't mean he won't put 1000+ yards in a season. He almost had half that in less than 100 carries. Just saying.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7500
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • There are some that were so good they didn't have a lot of contact when they played in college, one step break an arm tackle and gone. Faulk is a good mentor for him in this regard he had to learn to be a Pro and stick his nose into the pile. He still had his edge stuff as well but like Reggie Bush if you can't stick your nose in you become one dimensional and your playing time will suffer as well.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27772
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • On the outside runs, Penny can really turn the corner. In his rookie campaign, where he struggled was on the runs straight up the gut. Even so, I remember a middle run by him where he got 6 or 7 yards, and broke 2 or 3 tackles along the way. So he did show precedent for being able to navigate the up-the-middle stuff.

    It's a great situation to have 2 backs like this.

    Plus, there's that one kid who played college at Alabama. Is he still on the squad? If that kid is healthy, there's another great back.

    If the o-line is consistent for the entire season, our running backs are going to be very effective. Last season, the running game slowed as the o-linemen were lost to injury. When it was 'on', the running game was a thing of beauty.

    This upcoming season, it would stand to reason that the overall running game will be even better than last year. ymmv
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1534
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 pm


  • When Penny can bounce outside or on a designed outside play he shows NFL-level speed in getting to the corner. But on inside runs and even on dump-off passes he was disappointing due to higher traffic and going down easily. Every time he caught a pass over the middle I said to myself Carson would have had 3-5 more yards easily, because over the middle toughness and running through contact counts more because you've got no runway to get to glide speed.

    Last year he was a gimmick back effective mainly on outside runs, and not even my first choice to catch a pass on third down (that would be Davis). It's concerning because he plays a position where players quite often contribute immediately, especially first rounders.

    Here's hoping the excuses around the hand injury and him coming in out of shape, etc. are on the money and he's a whole different back when he's dialed in. I don't see him ever doing well after contact - that's not something that magically becomes a strength - but perhaps if he's quicker he'll be able to be more like Prosise in the middle i.e. navigate the wash and be a threat to break out even when traffic is heavy.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 8776
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 pm


  • quadsas wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Look what Penney did in his very limited time and after the injury and lack of practice. Dude is going off this year.


    he did...nothing? he had a couple runs (and they only happened cause he lacked vision to get the guaranteed 4-5 yards). As far as I am concerned, he's trash, but I'd be more than happy if he proved me wrong this year. Carson is lightyears ahead of him in almost every category


    Nonsense.. He had 2 big runs of ill-advised cutbacks. He had many other good plays. He ran for 100 yards against the Rams when Carson was out.. (He hasn't proven he can play a full season anyway).

    Only a fool would label someone a bust after just 1 year. We've seen countless times of players becoming good to great in years 2 or 3.. Max Unger anyone? Britt? Jaran Reed? Jermaine Kease?
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2815
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm


  • Not just a bust, but he's "trash" after one season :177692:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12738
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Not a Penny bash...in the 2017 draft there where 3 RBs taken in the 1st round. Barkley @ #2---Michel @ #31 and Penny taken @37...Barkley had over 2000 yards total and offensive rookie honore...Michel was close to 1000 total and is wearing a SB ring...and Penny couldn't beat out Mike Davis for the 2nd RB slot... again this not a bash...just hoping he can play up to the expectations . GO HAWKS !
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 869
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • xray wrote:Not a Penny bash...in the 2017 draft there where 3 RBs taken in the 1st round. Barkley @ #2---Michel @ #31 and Penny taken @37...Barkley had over 2000 yards total and offensive rookie honore...Michel was close to 1000 total and is wearing a SB ring...and Penny couldn't beat out Mike Davis for the 2nd RB slot... again this not a bash...just hoping he can play up to the expectations . GO HAWKS !


    First of all, it's not Penny's fault he was drafted at #37. Secondly, it's 2018 draft not 2017. Thirdly, you are disregarding the situations involved. NYG and NE didn't have a #1 running back at the time those guys were drafted. I bet if NE had Chris Carson or Mike Davis, Sony Michel probably would have started behind them too. Not a knock on Sony but credit to what Mike Davis and Chris Carson are. It speaks to the volume of how better the Seahawk running back situation now. Penny got considerably less carries than both those guys. If he would have maintained his average and had the same amount as Sony Michel, Penny would have had quite a bit more yards than Michel.

    Sony's stats - https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3128721/sony-michel

    Penny's stats - https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3139925/rashaad-penny

    Penny's avg was 4.9 yards per carry. His avg at 209 carries would have projected to 1024 yards. That would greater than what Michel did at 931 yards.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7500
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Previous


It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information