Running Back Rashaad Penny OTA Press Conference 6/6/19

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Can we trust Faulk not to leak the playbook to the Rams or anyone else for that matter?

“Just the little things,” Penny said when asked what Faulk taught him. “I send him the playbook and he shows me what to look for. We watch like videos on Facetime. I’m just trying to learn the dynamics of being more of a pro.”
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Can we trust Faulk not to leak the playbook to the Rams or anyone else for that matter?

“Just the little things,” Penny said when asked what Faulk taught him. “I send him the playbook and he shows me what to look for. We watch like videos on Facetime. I’m just trying to learn the dynamics of being more of a pro.”

Man, it would be pretty low of him to do a fellow SDSU RB dirty like that.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

• 12AngryHawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Can we trust Faulk not to leak the playbook to the Rams or anyone else for that matter?

Man, it would be pretty low of him to do a fellow SDSU RB dirty like that.

Yeah but he spent more time in a Rams Uniform and he does not like the Seahawks.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Penny is taking Carson's job this season. :irishdrinkers:
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Can we trust Faulk not to leak the playbook to the Rams or anyone else for that matter?

Wondering what teams do about protecting their playbooks?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• I'm certain he isn't "sending him the playbook"....Unless he wants to ride pine for the rest of his career.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• ImTheScientist wrote:Penny is taking Carson's job this season. :irishdrinkers:

I rather suspect that Carson will have something to say about that happening. Still having two strong RBs is a great thing.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Penny is going to kick ass this year. I'm excited.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seems he has been branded as a bust or something after one year. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do as well. Hoping he proves a lot of people wrong.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'm sure we all want him to be an exceptional RB.

Carson certainly is no slouch though and his physical style encourages the OLine to knock the snot out of opposing Lines.

if Penny can bring that too the team is is in good shape going forward with the RBs.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Look what Penney did in his very limited time and after the injury and lack of practice. Dude is going off this year.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Look what Penney did in his very limited time and after the injury and lack of practice. Dude is going off this year.

he did...nothing? he had a couple runs (and they only happened cause he lacked vision to get the guaranteed 4-5 yards). As far as I am concerned, he's trash, but I'd be more than happy if he proved me wrong this year. Carson is lightyears ahead of him in almost every category
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• Always look on the dark side of life.

Holy negativity!
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:Always look on the dark side of life.

Holy negativity!

If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• Nothing to with running the football. Just basing on this presser, Penny ain't a good presser giver, he looked either bored or intimidated, with limited communication skill that went with awkward body language. Marshawn didn't like talking but when he did talk, it was always insightful and intriguing.

Being a good communicator isn't in the job description of a RB. I do hope that he will develop skill to run straight up between the tackles.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:I'm certain he isn't "sending him the playbook"....Unless he wants to ride pine for the rest of his career.

A pretty big deal according to this ESPN article about the Vikings and their playbook:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/preview07/news ... id=2973338
    +++
    In the NFL, the playbook is a sacred hardbound diary of trust. It's an accumulation of decades' worth of knowledge, tweaked and perfected, sectioned off by scribbles and colored tabs. It's the first thing the fresh meat get when preseason workouts start in the spring and the last thing that is pried from a player's sweaty mitts when The Turk arrives and utters those dreaded 11 words.

"He laid it down (after he sat down on the potty), and they snatched it," said Michael Bennett, a former Vikings running back who is now with the Chiefs. "He got up and took off running after those guys with his pants down."
    +++

Teams are serious about how to protect their playbooks on ipad:
    https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dig ... ars-061213

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1 ... _strategy/

https://www.quora.com/How-do-NFL-teams- ... strategies
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Penny is trash? You can already tell this?? :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Penny is trash? You can already tell this?? :roll:

Youre right, we should wait until he's retired. How many years did it take for you to realise youre attracted to your wife? These 'we should wait' takes are insanely stupid. Is he trash now? Yes.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• quadsas wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Penny is trash? You can already tell this?? :roll:

Youre right, we should wait until he's retired. How many years did it take for you to realise youre attracted to your wife? These 'we should wait' takes are insanely stupid. Is he trash now? Yes.

4.9 yards per rush...

It’s terrific that Penny is doing all this. But before you judge Penny’s first season too harshly, let’s look back at Alexander’s rookie campaign. The man who would run for 1880 yards in one season started his career slowly.

Alexander played in all 16 games in 2000 but had just one start. He had 64 carries for 313 yards (4.9 yard average) and two touchdowns. He added five catches for 41 yards. Total scores: two. Total yards: 354. Those numbers don’t exactly scream first-round pick, do they? Yet Alexander ran for over 9,000 yards after his rookie year.

https://12thmanrising.com/2019/06/07/se ... ason-help/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

That bothered me too, but I hope it's plays from last year that Penny struggled with.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Yep, one season in the league and he's already a bust. Got it :2thumbs:
    Insanely stupid. Says the guy who can't tell the difference between you're and your.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Yep, one season in the league and he's already a bust. Got it :2thumbs:
    Insanely stupid. Says the guy who can't tell the difference between you're and your.

Insanely stupid is the guy who thinks it should youre wife and your attracted. get a grip or learn to read.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• ivotuk wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Penny is trash? You can already tell this?? :roll:

4.9 yards per rush...

It’s terrific that Penny is doing all this. But before you judge Penny’s first season too harshly, let’s look back at Alexander’s rookie campaign. The man who would run for 1880 yards in one season started his career slowly.

Alexander played in all 16 games in 2000 but had just one start. He had 64 carries for 313 yards (4.9 yard average) and two touchdowns. He added five catches for 41 yards. Total scores: two. Total yards: 354. Those numbers don’t exactly scream first-round pick, do they? Yet Alexander ran for over 9,000 yards after his rookie year.

https://12thmanrising.com/2019/06/07/se ... ason-help/

as if it matters what he's gonna do later on in his career? why should I say he's not trash, when he was garbage last year? He may as well end up hall of famer once it's all said and done. Was he trash last season? YES. Will he continue to be trash? I don't fricking know and it doesn't and shouldn't stop anyone from saying he's trash. Talent is obvious, talent is immediate. You probably thought Matt Flynn should start in 2013, cause you're using same logic
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• I'm not the one who says youre right or youre attracted. :?
    Sweet Jesus
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm not the one who says youre right. :?

Oh sorry for not including the apostrophe, it's such a god damn grammar crime.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• Lighten up, Francis. It's a message board. It's gonna' be ok.
    Please continue telling us about how you already know that this guy is "trash" :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Lighten up, Francis. It's a message board. It's gonna' be ok.
    Please continue telling us about how you already know that this guy is "trash" :roll:

I think the guy who got wound up on grammar is the one who should lighten up. Pathetic lmao

nice ninja edit btw. Read my other posts if your brain is not curled enough to understand the trash part
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• Wound up? I think it's hilarious. But not as hilarious as assuming a guy is trash after one season. But hey, believe what you want. Will you give him credit when he contributes this year? Or are you hoping he will suck so you can be right about your ridiculous assumption?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Wound up? I think it's hilarious. But not as hilarious as assuming a guy is trash after one season. But hey, believe what you want.

Well next time I'll go to a shop and see something priced 0.01$ I won't be able to call it cheap cause it may end up becoming 100$ in the future.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• :snack:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote::snack:

when you get completely destroyed in a debate and can't find any arguments that would support your dumb logic.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• :yawn:

Go Hawks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Besides all the hostile negativity which is off topic. We are still waiting upon the explanation as to why quadsas believes Penny is a draft bust and trash after just one season.

Seems rather unduly negative to me. Some folks however thrive on negativity. It's all crap, etc.

quadsas has made it clear he didn't like the pick and as a draft expert believed Penny was only worth a late 3rd round pick if even that. You do know that Detroit wanted to trade for Penny after the Hawks picked him. Rather sure the FO doesn't agree with your opinion as to draft position or that Penny is trash.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Id say a lot of people will eat crow this season but the fact is those that should eat crow will just pretend they have been on the Penny train all along. Happened with Russ, will happen here.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:Besides all the hostile negativity which is off topic. We are still waiting upon the explanation as to why quadsas believes Penny is a draft bust and trash after just one season.

Seems rather unduly negative to me. Some folks however thrive on negativity. It's all crap, etc.

quadsas has made it clear he didn't like the pick and as a draft expert believed Penny was only worth a late 3rd round pick if even that. You do know that Detroit wanted to trade for Penny after the Hawks picked him. Rather sure the FO doesn't agree with your opinion as to draft position or that Penny is trash.

to the draft pick thing, I've never said anything like that.

And how many times do I have to explain, how many more examples to do I have to give? You hear a singer, do you wait 3 years to say she's good? If she's good, she's good, if she's bad, she's bad, doesn't matter if she can train hard to become good. She's bad at that moment. Was Penny a good running back last season? No, he wasn't, and compared to Carson, he was trash. Did I ever say that he cannot become good? Why do I have to wait 3 seasons to say that he was trash in his rookie season? If he becomes a great player then it's fantastic. Wouldn't negate what he's done in his rookie year. It really isn't hard at all to comprehend that, yet somehow yall can't.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Next open criticism of mods will be followed with a ban.
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• There are a number of returning sophomores who weren't fully prepared for their first professional year. The need to improve diet, work habits and become a professional has been a theme in a number of the interviews this off season. Some draft classes are affected more than others because of year to year variation in drafting criteria.

Remember that not everyone who visits here embraces Pete's program. Watching growth and development alludes a few who visit. Appreciation for helping others become the best they can be is difficult for some. In short, posts of intolerance are testimony that not everyone gets it.

Penny was among those interviewed who were disappointed in their rookie season. It's reasonable to expect a sophomore jump in play from Penny along with a number of other returning competitors. It's something to embrace and look forward to when camp opens in about 6 weeks.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.
    xray
    NET Starter

• quadsas wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Always look on the dark side of life.

Holy negativity!

If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.

Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

• 12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:

Holy negativity!

Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.

I do agree with you to some extend, however, if Penny can acquire the mentality and desire to run up the gut between tackles with punishing the defenders in mind. He would be a complete 3 down back that would be very hard to defend against. It's to his and the team's advantage if he could be a more complete back that could run with power up the middle and speed from the side.

Penny does have the size and speed to be that complete back.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.

You are incorrect.... Penny is running with the #1s right now. Carson has to protect his job. Penny is going to steal it.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    xray wrote:Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.

You are incorrect.... Penny is running with the #1s right now. Carson has to protect his job. Penny is going to steal it.

Just to clarify .......... Carson is rehabbing from a minor clean out.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    xray wrote:Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.

If Penny could steal the job from a 1,000 yard RB, Hawks are in for a great run, all 12s would support that, however, I haven't seen the same Carson-isque fire and determination from Penny.

We shall see.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

yeah, if Pete would let Penny take no.1 spot from Carson before the preseason then comPete would be all but over
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• toffee wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:

Holy negativity!

I do agree with you to some extend, however, if Penny can acquire the mentality and desire to run up the gut between tackles with punishing the defenders in mind. He would be a complete 3 down back that would be very hard to defend against. It's to his and the team's advantage if he could be a more complete back that could run with power up the middle and speed from the side.

Penny does have the size and speed to be that complete back.

Good point. From what I hear, it sounds like he's starting to embrace being an NFL RB, he's accepting the fact that he's going to take some hard hits and preparing his body for the aches & pains. Now that Penny doesn't have Davis above him, and he's got some pro experience under his belt, there's not a whole lot of reasons to believe that Penny won't be better this season. If he's not good this season, then maybe some can call him a bust, but until then, we should give him a chance. I've already elaborated about how I think Carroll & Schneider don't place as much value on first round picks as most teams do, I think them picking Penny was for depth and possibly a starting position, Penny was the guy they wanted, and he would likely have been gone by their next pick, so they took him then. Plus, at the time, Penny was the healthiest RB in the class, had no injury history whatsoever, that definitely played a big role in picking him.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

• quadsas wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

yeah, if Pete would let Penny take no.1 spot from Carson before the preseason then comPete would be all but over

I dont see Penny as being anything more than complimentary of Carson this season, unless something happens to CC.

It's a nice resource to have. Maybe didnt need to spend a 1st on it, but Penny showed flashes of big play abilities, in limited chances.

He has real competition if he doesn't step up as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

I dont see Penny as being anything more than complimentary of Carson this season, unless something happens to CC.

It's a nice resource to have. Maybe didnt need to spend a 1st on it, but Penny showed flashes of big play abilities, in limited chances.

Well he will have chances knowing the style of running Carson prefers. Just gotta hope those chances won't come from same situations as Broncos and Bears games last season. Pete really wants for him succeed and hopefully he has learned that team comes before his pet projects and we're not gonna start 0-2 because he can't let go
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• 12AngryHawks wrote:
    quadsas wrote:

Holy negativity!

I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• quadsas wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    quadsas wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Well he will have chances knowing the style of running Carson prefers. Just gotta hope those chances won't come from same situations as Broncos and Bears games last season. Pete really wants for him succeed and hopefully he has learned that team comes before his pet projects and we're not gonna start 0-2 because he can't let go

That was more than addressed in an earlier press conference the link to which can be found here http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154392
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Love Carson but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Penny take over as the #1 back. From what I understand, in addition to the normal "rookie" curve, he didn't come into camp with the mentality nor shape he needed to live up to his draft potential. That coupled with injury...it wasn't that spectacular.

He definitely needs to be multidimensional and not just a "potential to break for big yards" kind of guy. Without a larger sample size, YPC shouldn't be used as a standard (as in, Penny's is > than Carson's).

I'm sure most of us would love to see 1K plus from both backs. Who knows what the season holds.

Calling Penny "trash" is a bit premature but, if nothing changes within the next two years or so, I'd agree at that point.
    Elemas
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information