How good can Tyler Lockett be?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
How good can Tyler Lockett be?
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:57 pm
  • With the retirement of Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro the next two seasons. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

How good can this guy be? Can he be our #1 WR for the next 3-4 years?
    Last edited by toffee on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: How good can Tyler Lockett be?
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:05 pm
  • toffee wrote:With the retirement of the Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro 2nd team as a soph. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

I think he can be freaking fantastic. There is nothing in his body of work that suggests he doesn't have 'it' so far. My impression has been that he isn't a fit for some role archetypes like say full time slot receiver based on the characteristics of his body. He's been there and done well in spite of it. I think that he isn't the platonic deal physically for a lot of WR roles (not a big body possession WR, not a blocking beast with lateral agility out of the slot, etc etc) but feed him the rock and he does the damn thing capably.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:21 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    toffee wrote:With the retirement of the Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro 2nd team as a soph. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

I think he can be freaking fantastic. There is nothing in his body of work that suggests he doesn't have 'it' so far. My impression has been that he isn't a fit for some role archetypes like say full time slot receiver based on the characteristics of his body. He's been there and done well in spite of it. I think that he isn't the platonic deal physically for a lot of WR roles (not a big body possession WR, not a blocking beast with lateral agility out of the slot, etc etc) but feed him the rock and he does the damn thing capably.

Perfect. You have him all figured out?

Ummm...NO, the guy has elite speed, he doesn't have the quick moves of Baldwin. He is esentially an outside guy that can play a few snaps at slot to confuse the defense.

Thank GAWD you aren't an OC , or anywhere near a coaching staff.

Attack the post, not the poster. No reason for anything to be personal.
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Always happy to review forum rules
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:21 pm
  • I think Lockett is more talented than Baldwin. What made Angry Doug so good was his intelligence. He had a habit of outsmarting the DB and getting open when our QB needed it. I think Lockett did a great job learning from Doug, and is more than ready to step into his role.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:48 pm
  • We should see a year that can compare with last year. He was almost perfect last year. I think he is a gifted player but he could be one bad hit away from long term injury list. Last year Doug was out three games (and still not 100% for others) last year and Tyler filled in as good as he possibly could. With no Doug this year. Tyler will get a lot of focus by defenses. I'm glad he will not me returning many punts and kickoffs this year (mostly to reduce the rick of injury). He is too important to us this year. I just hope some of the other receivers can step up take on some of the load. Last year I wished Tyler would not try to run back some of the kicks. several times we would have got better field position with a touch back. Tyler also did a great job of getting out of bounds and not getting hits last year.
    I love seeing Tyler on the team, but I would like to see him on the team over the next four years or more. I just worry about him getting blown up.

Roger
    ExBassGuide
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 pm
  • What made Doug great was his footwork and getting off the ball, and then his absolute toughness.

He was a one of a kind. Lockrtt is no Baldwin but he is Tyler Lockett.. and that ain't bad.

He doesn't have near Baldwin's first step but he's getting better each year. I'm a fan.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:53 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    toffee wrote:With the retirement of the Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro 2nd team as a soph. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

Perfect. You have him all figured out?

Ummm...NO, the guy has elite speed, he doesn't have the quick moves of Baldwin. He is esentially an outside guy that can play a few snaps at slot to confuse the defense.

Thank GAWD you aren't an OC , or anywhere near a coaching staff.

Attack the post, not the poster. No reason for anything to be personal.

Wow, what other conversational baggage are you bringing to the table with this response? ;)

Parse what I wrote. I think he can be really really good. There is nothing to suggest he can't be. I have caught wind of conversations on .net that suggest he doesn't fit specific roles that supposedly need filling and acknowledge that. But regardless of a specific idealized and archetypal role he doesn't fit into in terms of need, he flat out performs in what he does which is exactly what you state, speed on the outside, separation and athleticism in catch radius and hands.

Sheesh man, put down your sword for a moment and find the disagreement. ;)
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:48 pm
  • Putting on more muscle to get stronger.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:03 pm
  • He can be the perfect compliment to D.K.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:09 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:He can be the perfect compliment to D.K.

That sounds like a reasonable corollary to the prospect of DK developing into the perfect compliment to Tyler Lockett. :biggthumpup:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:13 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:He can be the perfect compliment to D.K.

Donkey Kong?

** Thread Hijacking **

Please make an effort to stay on topic in every thread, regardless of forum.

If you want to branch out and talk about a different topic, please do so in a new thread!

We realize that some threads will evolve and change, but do not jump into a topic and change the course of the thread!

Rules and guidelines link >>> http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981
    Last edited by Jville on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:40 pm
  • Lockett and Schotty have been talking up Jaron Brown, May be JB will evolve into one of the slot candidates? Perhaps we may use a committee of WRs rotating in and out of spot duties. Which could make it hard to predict? We have three tall fast dudes, JB, Darboh, and Gary; 3 smaller quick dudes Reynolds, Lockett and Ursua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:He can be the perfect compliment to D.K.

That sounds like a reasonable corollary to the prospect of DK developing into the perfect compliment to Tyler Lockett. :biggthumpup:

My face when multiple people don't know the difference between "compliment" and "complement"...

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 pm
  • Lockett is not a possession receiver, he would be ate alive on third downs being asked to do what Doug did, could be why they drafted and signed a shit load of F.A guys that can play the slot and be a possession guy.

Some of you really need to understand receiver rolls, Lockett is about a move and then speed, Doug is about get off and separation and then position to catch and not allow it to be intercepted and making sure his route breaks at a first down marker or the targeted spot.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jville wrote:

My face when multiple people don't know the difference between "compliment" and "complement"...

:sarcasm_on: Careful, Roland. Jville might chastise you for going off topic. :sarcasm_off:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:What made Doug great was his footwork and getting off the ball, and then his absolute toughness.

He was a one of a kind. Lockrtt is no Baldwin but he is Tyler Lockett.. and that ain't bad.

He doesn't have near Baldwin's first step but he's getting better each year. I'm a fan.

Doug was all of that, but he was also extremely intelligent and knew how to work really well Russ. They were constantly in synch and Russ knew what Doug was going to do and when he was going to do it. Think Brady and Edelman.

Athletically, Doug had elite quickness and side to side agility. He is very close to owning the combine record for 3 and 5 cone drill times.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am
  • Lockett is the next Antonio Brown.
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 am
  • Sac wrote:Lockett is the next Antonio Brown.

^ this.

I don't get where people are saying he has to be in the slot or he's not quick or he's no ADB. The guy breaks ankles, can kick in the afterburner, and has great hands. ADB was our #1 only due to experience and Tyler's 2016 injury, but I don't see any drop off between the two. In fact, I'd say Tyler is a more sudden athlete.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:04 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Somehow I actually never knew this was a word. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone use it correctly.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 pm
  • How good can he be?...How about as good as he was last year. RW had a 100% efficiency rate throwing to him.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:15 pm
  • I think Tyler learned a lot from ADB. I especially like how he disguises that the ball is coming to him until the very last second. This is something that the Seahawks' coaching staff teaches very well to all of the receivers.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 pm
  • I think he's a good fit for our offense, but don't think he has the skillset to be like an all-pro or anything like that. He still has trouble getting off of jams cleanly, and doesn't create separation. I think he may have had a higher ceiling before the injury, but he isn't running by anybody anymore. A number of his deep catches last year, there was no separation at all. Nor does he high-point. So, it takes a perfect ball from Russ to get a completion. And Russ delivered, time and time again. Just perfect balls.

You would think Lockett would excel on drags and crossers but he actually hasn't been able to get open that way. He also is very subpar on screens. He is elite of the elite at deep route running, but I'm not sure how wide of a statistical net you can cast from that.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Ya, it's stuff like that, that keeps me awake at night (Knight) :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:53 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:How good can he be?...How about as good as he was last year. RW had a 100% efficiency rate throwing to him.

This ^, he and RW seems to have put together some pretty decent chemistry, and I see them only getting better as time passes, but nobody is going to be able to come in and immediately replace what he and Doug Baldwin had tied together over the years.
    The fact that Pete & John went after a few more Receivers in, and after the Draft, tells me that they would really like to have a better balance in the Run to Pass ratio.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Nice correction. Spell checker doesn't catch everything and invites carelessness.
    It's helpful assists like this that keep me coming back.

Everyday is a great opportunity for improvement. Carry on :2thumbs:
    ................................................................................................................

I'm really looking forward to enjoying the play of Tyler Lockett and "associates to be named" in 2019. It's gonna be entertaining.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:My face when multiple people don't know the difference between "compliment" and "complement"...

Roland's a Little Girl? That explains a lot... Smart little Whippersnapper, she is. Had us all fooled!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 am
  • Receiving yards and TDs are all well and good, but can Tyler Lockett even catch?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:12 am
  • I will have to assume that was sarcasm. He has VERY good hands.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 am
  • This is an intriguing off season when it comes to WR and TE, other than Lockett, we don’t have anyone one with proven track record. But we are full of guys with potentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 am
  • Good point, so many guys with a huge opportunity to prove themselves this season.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 pm
  • How do you do better than perfect?
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm
  • Lockett can probably improve ; but he is pretty good right where he is at this point. One thing that many fans worry about are his return duties ; where he could take some really big hits. I would like for Carroll to take Lockett off special teams and save his body for receiving only. They have players now that could do a good job of returns.IMO
    xray
    NET Starter

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm
  • Very good point right there. Time to let someone take over return duties. He's way too valuable as a WR, and on this team he's our #1. No need to risk it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information