Does Wilson have close friends on the team?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • From only Jimmy Graham and Robert Turbin were invited to Russ's wedding to Angry Doug's post retirement tweets thanking Tarvaris Jackson, from Sherman's working relationship to Russ not being black enough. I am perfectly ok with having just working relationship with one's coworkers, but am curious if Russ has any buds on the team?

For the record, Brady didn't invite any teammates to his wedding and I am happy with paying Russ as our franchise qb.
    Last edited by toffee on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• He bought the entire offensive line stock in Amazon from the goodness of his heart.

It would be foolish to think RW isn't admired by anyone on this team and especially since the entire offense besides him from our super bowl runs are long gone.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Agreed Largent80, few superbowl vets left on the team, we are a brand new team.

I am also of the opinion that we couldn't have gone to superbowls and playoffs without one Russell Wilson, which might be different from the opinions of certain former players that Russ was just a game manager lucky enough to come along for a good ride powered by defense and Beast mode.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• My impression of RW is that he is a very busy man in his family life, business life, and community service.

Not enough time in the day.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• I rarely spend time with my coworkers outside of work. They are some of the best friends I have. I would be shocked if he doesn't have close friends on the team.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• We really are in the pits of the off-season aren't we.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

• Didn't he set up a gathering with some of his Teammates a few years back in Hawaii, and again in So Cal a year or two later?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:We really are in the pits of the off-season aren't we.

Yes. This thread and the "soccer" thread have confirmed it.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Yep.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

We still have not had a Uniform thread this year yet nor a I am a true fan and better then you argument.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:We really are in the pits of the off-season aren't we.

We still have not had a Uniform thread this year yet nor a I am a true fan and better then you argument.

Really Chris? You had to go there? :x

8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• knownone wrote:I rarely spend time with my coworkers outside of work. They are some of the best friends I have. I would be shocked if he doesn't have close friends on the team.

Dude is a top NFL QB and has been in the spotlight, whether that be locally or nationally, since he was a kid. It's hard to have traditional relationships that a lot of people have that stretch from work to home. I'm no NFL player but it doesn't seem weird to me for things to be heavily compartmentalized. Dude has had tons of people who want to be his friends, and I wouldn't assume he'd want to primarily hang out with football players.

I have a very normal job now, and I don't see people I know from work much outside it. I like them at work, it's fun sometimes, but it's just different. But I don't feel compelled to spend time outside of work with a lot of them, as I have other things I do.

I used to have a job where the people I was with were like a family (this is cheesy, admittedly, but it was absolutely true) and we'd have each other's backs even in time of serious danger. Most of us didn't see each other at home unless somebody or their family needed help. We were as close as you could possibly be, but we didn't spend much time on our own time together.

But even now with the normal situation I still have a pretty compartmentalized life. My work people rarely have anything to do with my family. I'm in two bands, and those things are separate from my work people and home. And the two bands don't even really know each other.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• I would think every receiver on the roster would want to be Russell's best friend.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:I would think every receiver on the roster would want to be Russell's best friend.
    Back in the days, Russ and Golden Tate used to double date.ImageImage
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    Jville wrote:I would think every receiver on the roster would want to be Russell's best friend.
    Back in the days, Russ and Golden Tate used to double date.ImageImage

Do they still hang out? :lol:
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Jville wrote:I would think every receiver on the roster would want to be Russell's best friend.
    Back in the days, Russ and Golden Tate used to double date.

Do they still hang out? :lol:

Guessing they don't, this was Golden's wedding in 2017
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:I would think every receiver on the roster would want to be Russell's best friend.

Apparently not our Angry, here are the post retirement announcement tweets by Baldwin:
    Thanking the coach:

Wife:

Someone he needs by his side:

Friends:

Close friend:

Thanking a QB:
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sadly we are. I personally view him to be a little guarded - nothing wrong with that. Kobe struck me that way among other athletes. I'd rather him keep to himself then run with shady entourages as Manziel and Vince Young were known to do.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:

Apparently not our Angry, here are the post retirement announcement tweets by Baldwin .....

There are previous Doug Baldwin Jr. tribute posts located here >>> http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123777 and here >>> http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154260

** Thread Hijacking **

Please make an effort to stay on topic in every thread, regardless of forum.

If you want to branch out and talk about a different topic, please do so in a new thread!

We realize that some threads will evolve and change, but do not jump into a topic and change the course of the thread!

The link to forum rules is located here >>> http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981#p267096

An additional note is that anyone who might chose to portray a player in a negative light is at liberty to do so. But, please refrain from baiting with a question and lead instead with a clear forthcoming statement to that effect in the posted title.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• We love our QB

Most of us could probably tolerate about 5 minutes hanging out with somebody like RW.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• No time for sheep.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if you guys remember this article in SI after we won the SB talking about Russell's "inner circle" of friends.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russe ... e-seahawks

Guys he became friends with and trusted all the way through college, and kept close into his pro career. So close friends on the team? Probably not, especially now that he's married with kids.

btw, I think this is normal for most players, not just Russell.........and especially true of quarterbacks who spend more time away from their teammates in meetings with coaches, and at the level of Russell's fame, away from the team in general.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Not sure if you guys remember this article in SI after we won the SB talking about Russell's "inner circle" of friends.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russe ... e-seahawks

Guys he became friends with and trusted all the way through college, and kept close into his pro career. So close friends on the team? Probably not, especially now that he's married with kids.

btw, I think this is normal for most players, not just Russell.........and especially true of quarterbacks who spend more time away from their teammates in meetings with coaches, and at the level of Russell's fame, away from the team in general.

That makes the most sense, Russ may be close with Jimmy Graham though.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, because SO many QB's are loved by their teammates.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Yes. Thank God the fishing season has started. I can avoid list season entirely.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't care if they like him or not, he's their leader. Get over it, suck it up and get ready to win. A lot.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I don't care if they like him or not, he's their leader. Get over it, suck it up and get ready to win. A lot.

Couldn't express it better!! With the departure of the old guards, the current bunch are the Wilson boys!!! I expect good thing under the undisputed leadership of one DangeRuss Wilson.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Reminds me of the scene in draft day where they found out no one went to the quarterbacks birthday party. You can love Russ as a football player and can also realize he’s not well liked by teammates. He hasn’t been since Nc state honestly. But that doesn’t make him less of a qb. From the not black enough rumors, to the defensive players pouting, to the lead us to darkness adb speech. Russ is a polarizing teammate he’s still a winner.
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

• He's paid more and treated differently than all the rest of the players, and naturally that creates a divide. He's also a strange dude and is married to a pop star and has kids. So I doubt he has really close friends on the team. Maybe a guy that also has kids? I dunno. I doubt many QBs have many close friends on their teams. Even in high school, the quarterbacks aren't usually out hanging out with the party guys on the team in most cases. But it doesn't matter. They just have to respect him and be willing to play hard for and with him. And for the most part I think everybody does.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Just to answer the question. Lockett Britt and oddly Deshawn Shead are the current/former players he seems to spend the most time with socially. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but those pop into my mind immediately.
    erik2690
    NET Starter

• Tical21 wrote:He's paid more and treated differently than all the rest of the players, and naturally that creates a divide. He's also a strange dude and is married to a pop star and has kids. So I doubt he has really close friends on the team. Maybe a guy that also has kids? I dunno. I doubt many QBs have many close friends on their teams. Even in high school, the quarterbacks aren't usually out hanging out with the party guys on the team in most cases. But it doesn't matter. They just have to respect him and be willing to play hard for and with him. And for the most part I think everybody does.

Quite sure the current roaster respect Wilson, and he deserves it, the ones that didn't are all gone now.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• It's pretty funny that so many assume that he's not liked by his teammates. Maybe by some, but he's a QB, they have always been disliked by some teammates, ALL of them.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:It's pretty funny that so many assume that he's not liked by his teammates. Maybe by some, but he's a QB, they have always been disliked by some teammates, ALL of them.

Where are these people that assume he's not liked by his teammates? Are there ANY of them on this forum? Where do you come up with this stuff?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Whatever you say man, plenty of people think he's not liked by teammates. And I don't give a rip what you think about what I post. Doesn't matter. Agree to disagree and they don't have to like him. He's the leader. Like someone said, the current roster seems to have a lot more respect for the guy. The QB has always been treated differently, that hasn't changed in decades. I'm not here to argue, go Hawks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:It's pretty funny that so many assume that he's not liked by his teammates. Maybe by some, but he's a QB, they have always been disliked by some teammates, ALL of them.

There certainly was some discontent with some of Russell's previous teammates with not only his personality, but his preferential treatment by the coaches...............but I think that's gone.

And make no mistake, it was a concerted effort on Pete and John's part to jettison all that negativity, all those players are gone. This is Russell's team now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Exactly how it felt. If guys can't handle the QB getting all the attention, too bad. This is starting to feel like a team again w/very little drama.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Whatever you say man, plenty of people think he's not liked by teammates. And I don't give a rip what you think about what I post. Doesn't matter. Agree to disagree and they don't have to like him. He's the leader. Like someone said, the current roster seems to have a lot more respect for the guy. The QB has always been treated differently, that hasn't changed in decades. I'm not here to argue, go Hawks..

There certainly was some discontent with some of Russell's previous teammates with not only his personality, but his preferential treatment by the coaches...............but I think that's gone.

And make no mistake, it was a concerted effort on Pete and John's part to jettison all that negativity, all those players are gone. This is Russell's team now.

For guys on this forum, ie guys follow the Hawks closely, we probably all could agree that some 'stars' on the team weren't fans or friends of Russ; and was vocal about it. Give credit to Russ for publicly keeping a friendly face and a smile when topic of those teammates came up. Perhaps to those guys, Russ was just a game manager that unfairly benefited from their star performance, which may even be true in some games. But in the end of the day, it's a lot easier to replace other positions than a franchise QB and Pete knows it.

It's nice when one goes to work with co-workers that respects you, more pleasurable if some coworkers like you, downright fun if one has buddies at work. I am hoping Russ can have even greater years now that he has a Russ's locker room, where he is the undisputed leader. Lockett is a smart dude, he may become a lot closer to Russ in coming months, Jerry Rice buddied up both Montana and Young in his days.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• The Tyler Lockett/ DJ Fluker mocking video is pretty much proof that he is in good shape as far as friends on the team are concerned.

As Hawk fans, he is a BLESSING. All of the malcontents are long gone.

Lets go get some more Rings.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:The Tyler Lockett/ DJ Fluker mocking video is pretty much proof that he is in good shape as far as friends on the team are concerned.

As Hawk fans, he is a BLESSING. All of the malcontents are long gone.

Lets go get some more Rings.
    This!!

When I saw the mocking video, I was happy for Russ. Now go win some rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• He has great working relationships with a lot of his guys, O line WR's best friends probably not a lot, he only did wife swapping with one guy and that didn't work out so well.

He is a business man now that has to pick his relationships carefully in all arenas as far as who he is seen with away from the game when it is not football related or about the team. We don't see many stories or pictures with guys like that.

It's not like he and his wife are hooking up to do Boogie with Bevell, or the Pete Carroll annual Crochet competition or something, or even Bar B Que with Sherman.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• This guy is all about being friendly. How do I know that???...I shook hands with him on national TV. He's a genuine as it gets.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• He's got at least 615,000 Benjamin's he can call friends. Those are the best friends a guy can have. 8)

:lol:
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information