Griffin brothers

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 8:09 am
  • I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

    IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

    As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

    Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2919
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 am
  • Shaquill was playing a new position last season, having moved from RCB to LCB. That is perhaps more of a jump than many think. Shaqueem was a rookie, from a small school, in his first campaign.

    If they scratch some publicity and money out of their situation, more power to them.

    I expect Shaquill will do fine this year, his second at his new position. I also expect Shaqueem will improve his skill set this year. I'm very seldom prone to dumping on rookies for a couple of years after they are drafted. If they survive their first camp, they deserve the second and maybe third years to develop. That's what being a young player is all about.

    Not sure how publishing a book hurts you personally, but hey, they worked hard to get where they are. They are earning it.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16633
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 8:32 am
  • Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 am
  • Couple thoughts:

    1. I don't know that they necessarily control the non football related publicity. I don't get a sense that they are actively trying to advance that kind of attention or interest.

    2. Shaquill is a starter. And I don't think his football career is impacted at all. Shaquem's career is suspect. As one would expect from any garden variety 5th round pick. In fact, his career is largely indistinguishable from the vast majority of players picked 110th to 174th overall (141st selection). His only 'sin' is that he was also picked just ahead of Dickson and Flowers who really grossly overperformed their draft selections by pretty wide margins. If we step back and see how his peers did in year one, I think we could make a really easy case that expectations for him at this stage are too high because of the success we enjoyed with the others we selected in his range.

    His career should be in jeopardy. Just as it is for all of the other 4th/5th round picks for all other teams in 2018's class. That's the nature of day three picks in general. Unsolicited publicity or not.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2274
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.


    Agree.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6849
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 am
  • Pete even said earlier this year that he's looking forward to Shaquem putting the distractions behind him and getting back to football.

    But it's hard to blame the Griffins, they're a great story, and good young men. So I don't harbor any ill will or annoyance towards them for capitalizing on their fame to make money, and do good things.

    Both have started charities, Shaquem started NubAbility, a charity to help disabled kids with congenital birth defects.

    So yes, I hope both finds that healthy balance between being famous, and all those distractions.........and football. But mad? No, I can't go there.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15317
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 am
  • It’s the offseason . What would you rather read about ?

    These guys are really good young guys who are inspiring millions .

    IMHO I absolutely hate when people judge from a distance . We are all football fans. Talk good or bad about what’s going on between the lines . Foolish to sit here and say they shouldn’t be writing books or shouldn’t be doing commercials . You have no idea what goes on in their daily life .

    I’m proud they are Seahawks !
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1031
    Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 am
  • I'm rooting for Queem to succeed. I'm sure he can, he's just kinda in a zone where he's a little shy on weight for LB. If he can get to the QB, I think he stays on.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am
  • It is the offseason and it is their free time. Professional athletes, much like the rest of us, are free to engage in activities outside of their chosen profession. Spending that free time cultivating positivity and inspiring others seems like a pretty productive way of spending their time away from the field.

    They play sports for a team you cheer for. They don't live for you.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2387
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 2:45 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 10:41 am
  • kobebryant wrote:It is the offseason and it is their free time. Professional athletes, much like the rest of us, are free to engage in activities outside of their chosen profession. Spending that free time cultivating positivity and inspiring others seems like a pretty productive way of spending their time away from the field.

    They play sports for a team you cheer for. They don't live for you.


    Nobody is saying they aren't free to do whatever they want on their time, but it's fair to question whether the distraction is negatively impacting their football careers.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5260
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 am
  • I felt like these two need to focus on football like they are about to be out of roster spots. They are not established stars that could afford to take have extracurricular activities, this is not the time for them to do all those fun things. This is time for them to spend 120% on football, nothing but football, their feel good story works when they are rocking in the nfl.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1857
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 am
  • It's none of my business what they do, period. They'll win the prize or pay the price depending on their football skills. If one or both get "beat out" then great, the next guy is better and my team is better.
    I'm a Seahawk fan, the whims and fancies of MOST of the individuals on the team do not concern my fandom.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 4654
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:10 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.

    I disagree. I think he will make the roster.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16633
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:18 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.

    I disagree. I think he will make the roster.

    I hope you are right cause I am rooting for the kid. :D
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 4654
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am
  • Everybody's got a story to tell and a life outside of football they get to live.
    There is a bigger picture that fans neglect to see because all they want from someone is a football player.
    Let them guys live.
    The Breh
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 326
    Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:28 am
  • They are livin the dream so I don't get the get off their back mentality.

    We're fans and trying to be real about expectations. Who cares about what they do outside of the team.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:32 am
  • sutz wrote:I disagree. I think he will make the roster.

    RIght now Shaquem looks like our 7th LB at best when we normally keep six. It's certainly possible but seems unlikely given our other roster constraints. We just added young depth at WR and DB that the team would like to use roster spots on for development, so it might come down to Shaquem vs. John Ursua, Jazz Ferguson, Ugo Amadi, etc.

    I suspect his best shot at a roster spot is going to be poor circumstances elsewhere. Injuries in training camp, If things go poorly for Kendricks on sentencing, if Ansah misses extensive time at the beginning of the season (temporary slot until Ansah comes back), or if the Hawks decide not to carry a FB again.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3843
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.


    If we can keep CJ Prosise's under performing ass on the roster for the entire length of his rookie deal, we can sure as hell keep Shaquem.

    At least Shaquem is a good special teams player and has the potential to be more. Bottom line, he contributes, so I'd be shocked if he was cut this year.

    Now if he has another flat year where he fails to pick up the defense and doesn't contribute beyond special teams? Then it's trouble for him. But right now in year two of his rookie deal? He's cheap and contributes on special teams, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15317
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
  • He's had one year with limited play. It's also pretty hard to say he is a good ST player with that limited exp.

    What he does have going for him is that year of experience. But he still needs to step up his game to make the team.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 pm
  • Shaquem is a tremendous edge rusher that we stupidly play at linebacker in a league that covets great edge rushers.

    It isn't his fault our coaching staff cannot get over their own predilections and use a guy that is good instead of using barely effective vets. (see the use of Poona Ford as an example).

    Should Shaquem be on the field as a DE? God no.

    But on passing downs? Absolutely.

    What we did was take a guy that wasn't that great away from the LOS, but burst on the scene the moment his team started using him near the LOS - and move him off the LOS. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do much.

    Sure Pete knows defense. So if he wants to use him somewhere else?

    But Pete also gets caught up in looking at things as how he would like to see him vs how they are. He certainly has his penchant for shoving square pegs in round holes or vice versa.

    Shaquem could be a much crappier but still very effective Dwight Freeney for us on passing downs. But he is out there in space for unknown reasons.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3604
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Shaquem is a tremendous edge rusher that we stupidly play at linebacker in a league that covets great edge rushers.

    It isn't his fault our coaching staff cannot get over their own predilections and use a guy that is good instead of using barely effective vets. (see the use of Poona Ford as an example).

    Should Shaquem be on the field as a DE? God no.

    But on passing downs? Absolutely.

    What we did was take a guy that wasn't that great away from the LOS, but burst on the scene the moment his team started using him near the LOS - and move him off the LOS. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do much.

    Sure Pete knows defense. So if he wants to use him somewhere else?

    But Pete also gets caught up in looking at things as how he would like to see him vs how they are. He certainly has his penchant for shoving square pegs in round holes or vice versa.

    Shaquem could be a much crappier but still very effective Dwight Freeney for us on passing downs. But he is out there in space for unknown reasons.


    And Pete already said they were going to see how Shaqueem does this year playing more on the edge.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 7020
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 12:51 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
    IMHO I absolutely hate when people judge from a distance . We are all football fans. Talk good or bad about what’s going on between the lines . Foolish to sit here and say they shouldn’t be writing books or shouldn’t be doing commercials . You have no idea what goes on in their daily life .



    But I am judging them on what goes on between the lines and so far they have been mediocre at best. I don't think its unreasonable to question whether the non football related antics are causing the on pitch issues. If it's not all the non football related stuff that is causing the mediocre play then the reality is they just aren't good enough currently. I think we are in danger of not knowing since they are clearly coveting the media.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2919
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 1:00 pm
  • I’ve been tired of it since last off-season. I’m happy for the kids, but the whole situation reminds me a little bit of Aaron Curry’s situation. For those who may not remember, Aaron Curry’s primary goal was to make the NFL and get paid, once he reached that goal it was hard for him to stay motivated.

    For a guy whose only major knock coming out was his hand, he looked woefully unprepared last year. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems like Quem’s just happy to be in the NFL.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2008
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm
  • Shaquille's rookie year was better than his 2nd year, partly because moving to the left side, but one can also speculate that media circus was distracting. Think about it, his first year Sherm manning the left, opposing teams picked on him but he did alright. Last year he regressed into one of the worst in the league.

    Hoping he will bounce back, otherwise this team won't go far with weak spots in the backfield.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1857
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 2:33 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.


    If we can keep CJ Prosise's under performing ass on the roster for the entire length of his rookie deal, we can sure as hell keep Shaquem.

    At least Shaquem is a good special teams player and has the potential to be more. Bottom line, he contributes, so I'd be shocked if he was cut this year.

    Now if he has another flat year where he fails to pick up the defense and doesn't contribute beyond special teams? Then it's trouble for him. But right now in year two of his rookie deal? He's cheap and contributes on special teams, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while.


    Not sure what you're talking about???
    "His ass" blows some awesome bubbles in his daily tub therapy.
    :lol: :lol: :irishdrinkers:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6849
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 3:24 pm
  • This is a make or break year Shaquille imo. I honestly think he is minimally better than Jeremy Lane. I think Shaquiem could be a week 4 cut depending on how things shape up.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 6837
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 pm
  • Quite a bit of negativity here about the Griffins. Not sure I understand why 'Queem was a 5th rd. pick 'Quill a 3rd. Both players have exceptional speed and that counts.

    Quill will have a good year now he is healthy and used to the switch. Queem is fast and was ill used last season and advanced to also playing a completely new position. He played creditably well on ST and knows nothing is given and that he needs to compete for a job. some patience will be exhibited by the team but nothing will be completely new and we should see the speed through the preseason.

    I don't think either is hard on the roster bubble.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6190
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:He's had one year with limited play. It's also pretty hard to say he is a good ST player with that limited exp.


    He was 4th or 5th on the team in special teams tackles last year, that's good.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15317
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 6:57 pm
  • Mediocre at best?

    Quem was in his rookie year last year. He did pretty well on ST. He was forced to play in Denver and he was out his depth but it was his first game. The fact it’s him means everything has been magnified, any other rookie would have passed by without much thought. Give him a break.

    They are good people; they aren’t going out their way launching clothing lines or doing club appearances, they give back and naturally attract headlines. I don’t see them purposely seeing out publicity for the sale of it.
    Gibbo
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 86
    Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:35 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed May 29, 2019 10:57 pm
  • I don't think you want to play musical corners but, I'd love to see Tre switch spots with Shaq. Shaq had better support in his rookie season but, that may be the best spot for him productivity wise. I think the secondary may be the weakest link but there's so much potential.

    Shaqueem.
    .feel good story or not, looked like was playing ...flat..back to back burns. If his FB IQ is anywhere his skill set, it's time for him to be a force.

    Hope they both succeed 7
    Elemas
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 5:36 am
  • One season, give the kid a chance. :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12737
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 am
  • I'm okay with this media stuff as long as they are putting in time to learn the defence and perfect their craft. Wilson does this stuff but he also is the hardest worker on the team. First one in the building, last one to leave. Hustles on every rep and drill in practice. If you want to be a media darling, you better do everything right in your job or the rest of the team will develop negativity towards you "not earning the accolades".

    As long as they realize that, then its all good. But if they are taking in the attention and ignoring the work needed to rightfully earn this attention, I think they will struggle both inside the locker room and on the field.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1011
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 10:01 am
  • If Shaquem carves out a role on D, it'll be getting pressure. That's the best area of his game. He could, theoretically, turn into a good linebacker but I'm not really expecting that.

    At the very least, he's a good special teamer.

    As for Quill, he should take a leap in his second year on the left. If not, well... that sucks. But I think he'll be much improved.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2814
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Shaquem is a tremendous edge rusher that we stupidly play at linebacker in a league that covets great edge rushers.

    It isn't his fault our coaching staff cannot get over their own predilections and use a guy that is good instead of using barely effective vets. (see the use of Poona Ford as an example).

    Should Shaquem be on the field as a DE? God no.

    But on passing downs? Absolutely.

    What we did was take a guy that wasn't that great away from the LOS, but burst on the scene the moment his team started using him near the LOS - and move him off the LOS. Unsurprisingly, he didn't do much.

    Sure Pete knows defense. So if he wants to use him somewhere else?

    But Pete also gets caught up in looking at things as how he would like to see him vs how they are. He certainly has his penchant for shoving square pegs in round holes or vice versa.

    Shaquem could be a much crappier but still very effective Dwight Freeney for us on passing downs. But he is out there in space for unknown reasons.


    And Pete already said they were going to see how Shaqueem does this year playing more on the edge.


    I was just going to bring this up. Pete's been talking Shaquem up quite a bit in his new pass-rusher role, a role which fits his college accomplishments considerably.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16854
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 pm
  • As we have seen for a decade, Pete talks every player up. Not taking anything away from Queem and wanting him to succeed but, hopefully they figure out his role to help both the player and the team.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 1:32 pm
  • We may have a real problem if he couldn’t cut it at LCB, it wouldn’t be ideal to move flowers from right to left and we don’t have anyone with that experience.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1857
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm
  • toffee wrote:We may have a real problem if he couldn’t cut it at LCB, it wouldn’t be ideal to move flowers from right to left and we don’t have anyone with that experience.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    I guess some have not read previous threads on this, like 4 or 5 this off season alone, there are differences between sides and very very few make that adjustment on the fly without some level of issues. We really were looking at two Rookies at CB last year with the flop and Tre learning a new position as well as being his first season. Team knew this and attacked both frequently. Throw in new FS and SS and you had to deal with hand off and recognition issues that needed to be communicated that weren't always.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 27772
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 12:25 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

    IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

    As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

    Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.

    Question... Do you have a life outside your job? I'm betting you do. They do too.

    How they handle their opportunities is on them. If not them, then, as always, next man up.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 10010
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 1:31 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

    IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

    As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

    Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.

    Question... Do you have a life outside your job? I'm betting you do. They do too.

    How they handle their opportunities is on them. If not them, then, as always, next man up.

    I do but if I allow my life outside my job to negatively impact said employment then I will be in trouble.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2919
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 3:57 am
  • You know that one commercial of the Griffin Bros that gets played over and over and over again on TV?
    Well I have it on good authority that they don't have to show up and perform these commercials live for each airing. They just had to do it once, and it was recorded for repeated playback.

    And this advancement in TV technology has allowed them to get back and focus on their football.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:53 am


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 am
  • I’m not worried about Quil. He had a great 1st year at RCB, then struggled some last year in a new position against team’s #1 receivers. He’ll adjust and be solid once again.

    Quem was out of position last year imho. He had leo written all over him, but we played him off the line and that’s not really anything he’s done before. I think he’s going to take Cassius Marsh’s spot and I’m excited to see what he brings on 3rd down this year.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 265
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 am
  • The age of social media has really made some fans care way too much about their own perception of how much "effort" athletes are putting into their favorite team. It is an unhealthy mentality. A player succeeds or fails on their own merits and it is weird to see people care so much about someone else's personal life who they really don't know at all.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 762
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 10:34 am
  • Own The West wrote:I’m not worried about Quil. He had a great 1st year at RCB, then struggled some last year in a new position against team’s #1 receivers. He’ll adjust and be solid once again.

    Quem was out of position last year imho. He had leo written all over him, but we played him off the line and that’s not really anything he’s done before. I think he’s going to take Cassius Marsh’s spot and I’m excited to see what he brings on 3rd down this year.

    I'm not sure he can be anywhere near a true LEO at 230 or whatever. Sure, bring him in on 3rd and longs and move around and let him blitz a bunch. I agree that his pass rushing ability is his best ability.

    Honestly though, I'm not sure either one of them can play.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4298
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm
  • Both of them were god damn awful last year. yeah, great story and all, but having a great story is not gonna help the team perform better on its own. They better bring it or ship them to Cleveland.

    I still can't shake that 4th down PI against Rams that was sooooooo horrendous that I would've been happy if he was cut on the spot. Too bad Coleman is gone. I'd rather see Flowers at CB1, even though he himself wasn't amazing, but at least he hasn't made unbelievably stupid plays (from what I can remember)
    quadsas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Fri May 31, 2019 10:15 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahwkgal wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

    This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.


    If we can keep CJ Prosise's under performing ass on the roster for the entire length of his rookie deal, we can sure as hell keep Shaquem.

    At least Shaquem is a good special teams player and has the potential to be more. Bottom line, he contributes, so I'd be shocked if he was cut this year.

    Now if he has another flat year where he fails to pick up the defense and doesn't contribute beyond special teams? Then it's trouble for him. But right now in year two of his rookie deal? He's cheap and contributes on special teams, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while.


    Agree!

    ‘Queem will be on the team come Sept 9.

    Last season was unfair to him. A positional change, slotted to replace a Pro Bowl quality WOLB, hard to do, and he didn’t. However, he played well on ST, and his speed and coverage was demonstrable. Is he a pro level OLB? For sure not yet, but he is fast and can tackle in the open field. If he can slow his awareness of the game down and is slotted to play a position where he can use the speed and tackling ability that is obvious he has, he’ll do just fine. Even if he’s just a ST player, he is a keeper b/c he has speed.

    Meanwhile his brother has now got a year in at playing LCB and is healthy again. The talk of switching Tre to LCB and moving ‘Quill is short sighted. Why would you impose a position change on two players. Tre was a college SS who transitioned to RCB. We don’t need to screw up the whole defensive backfield b/c several don’t think ‘Quill is as good as Sherman. To me let’s see if he improves. The DBs are going to be a work in progress the season and unnecessary change is unlikely to be beneficial.

    I think the Griffin boys will be long term participants in Seattle.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6190
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Griffin brothers
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:43 am
  • Here is a report on both brothers:

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... reat-year/

    Shaquem is bulking up to play more on the edge, and Shaquill is trying to play lighter so he can keep up his speed.

    The team is positive about both players.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6190
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Griffin brothers
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 am
  • They will be treated like everybody else trying for a place on the team....step up or step aside.
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 869
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Griffin brothers
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 pm
  • Read an interview with Quille talking about their diet this off-season (they have a chef taking care of their nuitrition) to get to the right playing weight. Mentioned how he and his brother have different goals so it's not the same for both. Just a little thing but it seems to suggest they are focused on getting ready for the season.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 744
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm


Next


It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online