Can They Afford top Keep Bobby Wagner?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I think one of reasons they moved Clark was to ensure they could have Wags. You can’t afford to pay everyone in this league, but I think it’s paramount that you designate one or two of your offensive and defensive core players that embody your ethos and build around them. He’s the pulse of the defense and our young players need him as we rebuild that elite D.

I will be buying my first “expensive” official jersey the moment he signs. One of my favorite Hawks ever, no glaring weak spots and like Wilson, his best ability is his availability. Also helps he’s a fellow Aggie.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Re: Can They Afford top Keep Bobby Wagner?
Thu May 30, 2019 10:30 am
  • Also, they aren't going after McCoy. That says something about money. They obviously could use McCoy.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am
  • McCoy is a meaningless topic. Reed is a 3 tech and so is McCoy and Reed is the better player right now. They can't both play 3 tech at the same time and we also need to shore up run defense at 1 tech so either Reed or McCoy would be on the bench over half the time. McCoy would also be a one year rental, which he probably wants no part of, because you have to pay Reed next year.

Going after McCoy makes zero sense for the Hawks and McCoy as well.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri May 31, 2019 10:37 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Also, they aren't going after McCoy. That says something about money. They obviously could use McCoy.

I don't think it has anything to do with money. They have like 25 mil cap space, and nothing to spend it on.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri May 31, 2019 11:35 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Also, they aren't going after McCoy. That says something about money. They obviously could use McCoy.

I don't think it has anything to do with money. They have like 25 mil cap space, and nothing to spend it on.

Evidently, McCoy is nothing and so far NO team has signed him after a week.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 31, 2019 12:12 pm
  • I appreciated the difficulty of staying on topic and maintaining discipline in refraining from hijacking threads. But, let's rededicate ourselves to that effort. Gerald McCoy has his own dedicated thread here >>> http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154222 Let's try and use it.

Back on topic, I fully anticipate a Bobby Wagner contract extension ..... for many of the same reasons the team hammered out a new contract with KJ Wright.

KJ termed it as well as anyone .... "it's a no brainer"
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• If Bobby is truly looking for 17-18 mil a year then why sign him now? Your not getting some discount for signing him early, he is looking for top dollar. You might as well let this year play out and see how he is doing at the end of the year. I think the Seahawks have learned their lesson about giving top dollar third contract extensions a year early (besides qbs who can play till they are 40 in this league).

Now if he is willing to sign for 13-15 mil a year to get that extra security now, then you have a reason to extend him early.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Might his value decrease without a rising star DT in front of him for 37.5% of the season...
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Own The West wrote:Yes, they can afford to keep Bobby Wagner.

And yes, Bobby wants Mosley money. I want Mosley money too.

But the market for LBs is Kuechly, not Mosley. I'm sure Bobby realizes that.

My guess is he signs a deal in the $13M/yr range with guaranteed money drying up in year 3.

Wagner IS the market for linebackers, and he should get more than Mosely.

Anything less is fanwishes.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 am
  • A-Dog wrote:If the ridiculous Mosley contract didn't happen Bobby would probably already be signed.

It really does throw a monkey wrench in to things.

At this point I would focus on getting Reed signed, and keep the franchise tag open for Bobby. It's a business.

Stupid Jets. Mosley is good but not worth that big contract. Bobby isn't going anywhere despite what this forums says. The guy is a true leader never gets into trouble and is the best LB in the league. The seahawks are going to pay bobby its just a matter of when. Bobby said he wont hold out (another reason he will get paid)
    hawks85
    NET Starter

• edogg23 wrote:If Bobby is truly looking for 17-18 mil a year then why sign him now? Your not getting some discount for signing him early, he is looking for top dollar. You might as well let this year play out and see how he is doing at the end of the year. I think the Seahawks have learned their lesson about giving top dollar third contract extensions a year early (besides qbs who can play till they are 40 in this league).

Now if he is willing to sign for 13-15 mil a year to get that extra security now, then you have a reason to extend him early.

Well I agree kinda of. Bobby is different. He's not a Sherman or a Thomas. Those 2 were drama queens and I'm glad they are both gone. Bobby has nothing to prove nothing. The Seahawks need to pay him before the season starts IMO. Bobby isn't being a baby and sitting out of everything like Earl did. That's my 2 cents.
    hawks85
    NET Starter

• HawkGA wrote:I could see doing $17 million a year on just a two year contract.

C'mon that's crazy 2 years. Bobby is gonna get 4 year deal 18 mil a year with some type of guaranteed money.
    hawks85
    NET Starter

• Wagner needs to weigh the fact that when (not if) Mosley under-performs, he's going to be first on the chopping block for the Jets. B-Wagz is great, but age will catch up to him, and if he wants 18 a year, he's going to find himself in the same position before long. 13-14 million a year for 3 years is more than 18 million a year for 4 years if you get cut after 2.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Wagner needs to weigh the fact that when (not if) Mosley under-performs, he's going to be first on the chopping block for the Jets. B-Wagz is great, but age will catch up to him, and if he wants 18 a year, he's going to find himself in the same position before long. 13-14 million a year for 3 years is more than 18 million a year for 4 years if you get cut after 2.

Yeah this is true, but Wagz isn't thinking like that and the NFL isn't built like that. Its a business and all the players wanna get paid. It would be great if Wagz thought like that because he would be signed by now.
    hawks85
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:39 am
  • I can see Wagz getting paid and Reed getting offered but for considerably less than he would have got 2-3 days ago. If Reed doesn't sign he'll be traded. This suspension is a game changer for him.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am
  • TreeRon wrote:I can see Wagz getting paid and Reed getting offered but for considerably less than he would have got 2-3 days ago. If Reed doesn't sign he'll be traded. This suspension is a game changer for him.

Seems more likely Reed plays out his deal and moves on. Not sure what his trade value would be right now.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:04 pm
  • They can afford it but will they ? I really thought they would keep Clark . Wagner has already said that would prefer to stay in Seattle but if things don't work out he will go elsewhere . He will get his money somewhere and he knows it . Seattle gave Wilson what he wanted ; but he might be the last heavy contract they want to deal with this year . They proved that by trading away Clark . They might shock us and trade Wagner away too ; because he is worth a $h!t of barter . Carroll says that Wagner will be a Seahawk ; but he said Clark wasn't going anywhere too . Let's see if Wagner stays on the sidelines this summer . That will signal his intentions for sure ; but the HO intentions ? Not a clue...
    xray
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:56 am
  • I don't think what happened to Earl is lost on Bobby. Earl not regretting his gesture towards Pete might have something to do with the current Wagner situation and Earl thinking Pete is doing the same thing to Wagner that was done to him. What does Bobby do if the season starts and not contract, does he hold out?

Also, trade value, the Seahawks got nothing for Earl if I remember right? Had he not been injured Earl might have brought in some value. So if trading Wagner is in the cards, sooner would be better than later for the Seahawks, and if I'm Bobby, I don't play without a new contract given what happened to Earl.

Earl did get a nice pay check in Baltimore, but I wonder if the injury prevented him from making more?
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 pm
  • MO Hawk wrote:I don't think what happened to Earl is lost on Bobby. Earl not regretting his gesture towards Pete might have something to do with the current Wagner situation and Earl thinking Pete is doing the same thing to Wagner that was done to him. What does Bobby do if the season starts and not contract, does he hold out?

Also, trade value, the Seahawks got nothing for Earl if I remember right? Had he not been injured Earl might have brought in some value. So if trading Wagner is in the cards, sooner would be better than later for the Seahawks, and if I'm Bobby, I don't play without a new contract given what happened to Earl.

Earl did get a nice pay check in Baltimore, but I wonder if the injury prevented him from making more?

Bobby us wired entirely differently than Earl.

Cant really be much more different.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• MO Hawk wrote:I don't think what happened to Earl is lost on Bobby. Earl not regretting his gesture towards Pete might have something to do with the current Wagner situation and Earl thinking Pete is doing the same thing to Wagner that was done to him. What does Bobby do if the season starts and not contract, does he hold out?

KJ said this morning that Bobby's extension is imminent, they're just getting all the legal mumbo jumbo ironed out......and since Bobby's acting as his own agent, it's probably taking longer than normal.

I have no doubt Bobby's deal gets done here soon. If it was getting contentious, you'd hear about it. No news is the best news when it comes to contract extensions. When you start hearing "sources" talking about discontent and unhappiness? That's when it's time to worry.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MO Hawk wrote:I don't think what happened to Earl is lost on Bobby. Earl not regretting his gesture towards Pete might have something to do with the current Wagner situation and Earl thinking Pete is doing the same thing to Wagner that was done to him. What does Bobby do if the season starts and not contract, does he hold out?

KJ said this morning that Bobby's extension is imminent, they're just getting all the legal mumbo jumbo ironed out......and since Bobby's acting as his own agent, it's probably taking longer than normal.

I have no doubt Bobby's deal gets done here soon. If it was getting contentious, you'd hear about it. No news is the best news when it comes to contract extensions. When you start hearing "sources" talking about discontent and unhappiness? That's when it's time to worry.

Why Earl should have kept his mouth shut and just did the business side in private. May have happened and the whole flip the bird would not have happened since he probably would have had a deal. Going thru the media was dumb as much as the Cowboy thing.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• That's not who Earl is. At all.

That's like asking to Pete to become Andy Reid. It's not going to happen.

At the end of the day with Earl, this was unavoidable. It was always going to happen this way.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Can they afford NOT TO?
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• I'd say the answer is yes, according to his new contract.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Now it’s a matter of being able to field a playoff contender with the highest paid player at 2 of the most important positions on a team. Given Pete’s track record and habitual results I’d say the team will continue on its path of success.
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

• Yes. /thread
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Well he is there for three years finally glad he is signed.
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• Well who's next, glad the man is here while we develop his heir apparent.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information