Cody Barton is the ideal modern inside linebacker

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • Thanks for the link! Interesting and relevant videos there in the article.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2598
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • I think he'll make a really nice replacement for KJ, but calling him the "ideal" inside LB is a real stretch. I like that he is willing to mix it up with a center or guard, but "ideally" he'd be about 10 to 15 pounds heavier at 6'2 and 1/2 while also having longer arm to keep from getting locked onto, and on top of that, have quite a bit more explosion after being able to stack a shed. He's not slow like KJ, but also not fast as well.

    I like the player, like the brain, and there are a lot of good physical traits, but calling him "ideal" is fairy make believe land type stuff. The ideal inside LB has already been a perennial all pro for the Hawks for quite a while now. Maybe that's why though...somebody trying to talk themselves into something just in case he doesn't re-sign.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • He'll put that 15lbs on by next season.

    I'm excited for this kid
    TruHawkFan9.0
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 17
    Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm


  • TruHawkFan9.0 wrote:He'll put that 15lbs on by next season.

    I'm excited for this kid

    Not sure he should. His lower body isn't a wide base balance and he already is lower than average in explosion as seen by his vert and long jump so his mobility would suffer. If he adds weight he needs to do so gradually while working on explosion.

    And on top of all this, there's nothing that says he is a better prospect than BBK. BBK is a much better athlete, only weighs 7 pounds less even though he's 2 inches shorter (game of leverage) and has identical arm length to Barton. BBK also outperformed every other off-ball LB in the country as a senior.

    I'm not sure that Barton will ever even start for the Hawks. Same with BBK, but the point is that there is a label of being "ideal" and that's guano. I still like the prospect quite a bit, but damn...
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • I watched the play by play of Barton vs UW and he was invisible. I hope there were other games where he showed up. He looked to have an issue with block shedding and didn't look overly fast.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2241
    Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:00 am


  • lukerguy wrote:I watched the play by play of Barton vs UW and he was invisible. I hope there were other games where he showed up. He looked to have an issue with block shedding and didn't look overly fast.

    Also watched both of those games recently. He played on the edge a lot over the UW TE's and had some problems with Sample and Otton both. Otton basically body slammed him in the second game and was blown off the ball by both players in both games. He also must have missed 4 tackles alone in the first game trying to tackle Gaskin.

    I initially liked this pick and still do, but see him directly competing for WLB with BBK in a year due to his pass coverage, which is his biggest strength. He has a knack and understanding of how to head off routes. He's a WLB, IMO, and don't want him responsible for steong side A gap in Under or strong side B gap in over. He'll likely continue to be tried at MLB and may even be the backup there this year, but he'll end up at WLB eventually, IMO.

    His pass coverage strength is likely why a fieldgulls writer thinks he's "ideal."
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Also what the hell is up with the UW TEs? They have a farm of them or something...
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • For reference, your ideal inside LB is somewhere between Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA) and Jeremiah Trotter's play at the point of attack (he destroyed OL as a practice). Your ideal inside LB is a model like Junior Seau or Bobby Wagner.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Bobby Wagner Jr, or at minimum a Patrick Willis Jr :lol:
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1796
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • " Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA)"
    Yeah. Right. hahahaha
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1796
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • King Dog wrote:" Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA)"
    Yeah. Right. hahahaha

    Ray Lewis was undersized coming out of college and played like it. He continued to get KTFO on a regular basis throughout his career, including by our very own FB, Mike Rob. Mike Rob layed Keuchly out as well. A MLB that gets KTFO by a FB is lacking, period.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    King Dog wrote:" Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA)"
    Yeah. Right. hahahaha

    Ray Lewis was undersized coming out of college and played like it. He continued to get KTFO on a regular basis throughout his career, including by our very own FB, Mike Rob. Mike Rob layed Keuchly out as well. A MLB that gets KTFO by a FB is lacking, period.

    Just because you say it is so, does not make it true. Nice try. HOF
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1796
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • King Dog wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    King Dog wrote:" Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA)"
    Yeah. Right. hahahaha

    Ray Lewis was undersized coming out of college and played like it. He continued to get KTFO on a regular basis throughout his career, including by our very own FB, Mike Rob. Mike Rob layed Keuchly out as well. A MLB that gets KTFO by a FB is lacking, period.

    Just because you say it is so, does not make it true. Nice try. HOF

    Welcome to the real world. Ray Lewis was flat backed too often in his career.

    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • You can't hide at LB if he can't shed blocks and make tackles our gets caught out of position it will be obvious . We'll see how he does on game day . Right now he's just a rookie LB that has proven nothing.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1438
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm


  • Thanks for posting that article Jville, great read!

    If you read between the lines it is easy to see why Seattle picked this player, many have posed the belief the player was a reach, based upon 'expert valuations'. Time will tell on that line of thinking but the film seems to show different. Regardless he seems a fit for our scheme and Pete is good at finding guys who fit.

    To me draft grades prior to 3 seasons are somewhat pointless even if they have simple minded entertainment value. Until we see Barton play pro ball it is early to anoint him a good pick or pan him as a bust. It seems his fundamentals are strong though.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6492
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • I believe that Barton, Blair and BBK were selected to counter the Rams shallow-crossing passing attack in certain sub-packages, and likely that of Cardinals as well with their drafting of Kyler Murray and hiring of Kliff Kingsbury. I like all three picks.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4197
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:59 am


  • Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

    Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

    Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 728
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am


  • pcbball12 wrote:Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

    Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

    Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.

    Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Great talent and depth at LB means good STs. Guys like Shem are going to have to make names for themselves on teams. That's great for the Hawks.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6050
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

    Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

    Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.

    Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.

    My point was that it is rare for backers that can cover and move sideline to sideline to come out of college with the ability to stack and shed. I’ve rarely seen it. The guys I have seen come out that were great in that area in college didn’t move very well and were one dimensional. I’m sure you can pluck a game here or there where Wagner took on blocks and made plays in the run game in college. Overall, he was poor in that regard in college. Was a great athlete that could cover, move sideline to sideline, and although was a physical player he got washed out in the run game often. Kuechly still struggles with it, which is why they always are huge up front. But he still remains one of the top 2 LBs in all of football....that proves my point.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 728
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am


  • pcbball12 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

    Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

    Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.

    Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.

    My point was that it is rare for backers that can cover and move sideline to sideline to come out of college with the ability to stack and shed. I’ve rarely seen it. The guys I have seen come out that were great in that area in college didn’t move very well and were one dimensional. I’m sure you can pluck a game here or there where Wagner took on blocks and made plays in the run game in college. Overall, he was poor in that regard in college. Was a great athlete that could cover, move sideline to sideline, and although was a physical player he got washed out in the run game often. Kuechly still struggles with it, which is why they always are huge up front. But he still remains one of the top 2 LBs in all of football....that proves my point.

    There is no plucking a game. It was clearly evident when I was scouting Mike backers after we knew Heater wasn't coming back. Wagner was THE Mike backer. Every other player had tradeoffs. I knew that our new Mike would have to be adept at taking on blocks due to our defense, where he lined up, and that there was an emphasis of every man doing their job per their gap responsibility. Keuchly was almost immediately discarded due to his constantly giving ground and running away from blocks so he could make tackles downfield. You couldn't count on him to stay in his gap. The only other player I considered that year was Hightower, but he was a 4.65 guy, if I remember right, and wasn't going to be able to cover enough geound necessary in a cover 3 because you only have 2 zone LBs in the middle of the field in a conservative defense that dictated 3 men deep. It's a defense that is harder on non-flat zone LBs.

    Enter Bobby wagner tapes and you clearly see that you have to sacrifice nothing.

    The fact that you're saying what you are tells me you never watched these "tapes" and went off scouting reports to afraid to step onto the small school ledge. Either that or extremely influenced by them. There are 3 vs games on youtube for Barton, which is every play he was in on those games. I've watched all 3 twice over now and he has trouble, flat out. His playing weight was supposedly 227 spread out over 6'2 and a half with below average explosion numbers and it clearly shows.

    Edit: There was also Kendricks that year, but I said he was going to end up a WLB too. There was a stanford game that put the nail in that coffin. He's fine when he can use explosion to meet an OL, but if he's not running at them then he would get engulfed.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

    Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

    Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.

    Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.

    My point was that it is rare for backers that can cover and move sideline to sideline to come out of college with the ability to stack and shed. I’ve rarely seen it. The guys I have seen come out that were great in that area in college didn’t move very well and were one dimensional. I’m sure you can pluck a game here or there where Wagner took on blocks and made plays in the run game in college. Overall, he was poor in that regard in college. Was a great athlete that could cover, move sideline to sideline, and although was a physical player he got washed out in the run game often. Kuechly still struggles with it, which is why they always are huge up front. But he still remains one of the top 2 LBs in all of football....that proves my point.

    There is no plucking a game. It was clearly evident when I was scouting Mike backers after we knew Heater wasn't coming back. Wagner was THE Mike backer. Every other player had tradeoffs. I knew that our new Mike would have to be adept at taking on blocks due to our defense, where he lined up, and that there was an emphasis of every man doing their job per their gap responsibility. Keuchly was almost immediately discarded due to his constantly giving ground and running away from blocks so he could make tackles downfield. You couldn't count on him to stay in his gap. The only other player I considered that year was Hightower, but he was a 4.65 guy, if I remember right, and wasn't going to be able to cover enough geound necessary in a cover 3 because you only have 2 zone LBs in the middle of the field in a conservative defense that dictated 3 men deep. It's a defense that is harder on non-flat zone LBs.

    Enter Bobby wagner tapes and you clearly see that you have to sacrifice nothing.

    The fact that you're saying what you are tells me you never watched these "tapes" and went off scouting reports to afraid to step onto the small school ledge. Either that or extremely influenced by them. There are 3 vs games on youtube for Barton, which is every play he was in on those games. I've watched all 3 twice over now and he has trouble, flat out. His playing weight was supposedly 227 spread out over 6'2 and a half with below average explosion numbers and it clearly shows.

    Edit: There was also Kendricks that year, but I said he was going to end up a WLB too. There was a stanford game that put the nail in that coffin. He's fine when he can use explosion to meet an OL, but if he's not running at them then he would get engulfed.

    You’re barking up the wrong tree with the comment about not looking at the “tapes”. I have been intensely evaluating college players since 2011. Keeping legitimate databases on every player in each draft. While I can’t get to every player in the draft every year because I work a minimum of 40 hours a week and have a family, I watch 3-5 games on 200-250 draft eligible players a year. Just because I don’t get onto this site with an air horn showing everyone how much i know doesn’t mean I don’t put in the work. I browse this site rarely, and comment when I feel a need to. I use different platforms for my hobby.

    I did watch Wagner. I had a late 2nd round grade on him, and it would have been higher had I thought he was better in the run game. I actually had the same grade on Kuechly as well for the same reasons. I also was bullish on Hightower, but he definitely was not a sideline to sideline guy and while he covered better than I expected, it wasn’t at all a strength. Hightower was my top rated backer in that draft, and that was a mistake obviously. The only reason I brought those two up in the first place was to talk about my mistake in their evaluations and me learning from that mistake. I used to put way too much into the ability to get off blocks in my linebacker evaluations, and every year I see guys that struggle with it come into the league and light the league on fire. I want to say Jim Nagy even made a similar comment on twitter not too long ago about linebacker evaluations. We disagree on our past Wagner evaluations, that’s fine and that is common in scouting/evaluating players. It’s what makes the process so great really.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 728
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am


  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9134
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • pcbball12 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    pcbball12 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.

    My point was that it is rare for backers that can cover and move sideline to sideline to come out of college with the ability to stack and shed. I’ve rarely seen it. The guys I have seen come out that were great in that area in college didn’t move very well and were one dimensional. I’m sure you can pluck a game here or there where Wagner took on blocks and made plays in the run game in college. Overall, he was poor in that regard in college. Was a great athlete that could cover, move sideline to sideline, and although was a physical player he got washed out in the run game often. Kuechly still struggles with it, which is why they always are huge up front. But he still remains one of the top 2 LBs in all of football....that proves my point.

    There is no plucking a game. It was clearly evident when I was scouting Mike backers after we knew Heater wasn't coming back. Wagner was THE Mike backer. Every other player had tradeoffs. I knew that our new Mike would have to be adept at taking on blocks due to our defense, where he lined up, and that there was an emphasis of every man doing their job per their gap responsibility. Keuchly was almost immediately discarded due to his constantly giving ground and running away from blocks so he could make tackles downfield. You couldn't count on him to stay in his gap. The only other player I considered that year was Hightower, but he was a 4.65 guy, if I remember right, and wasn't going to be able to cover enough geound necessary in a cover 3 because you only have 2 zone LBs in the middle of the field in a conservative defense that dictated 3 men deep. It's a defense that is harder on non-flat zone LBs.

    Enter Bobby wagner tapes and you clearly see that you have to sacrifice nothing.

    The fact that you're saying what you are tells me you never watched these "tapes" and went off scouting reports to afraid to step onto the small school ledge. Either that or extremely influenced by them. There are 3 vs games on youtube for Barton, which is every play he was in on those games. I've watched all 3 twice over now and he has trouble, flat out. His playing weight was supposedly 227 spread out over 6'2 and a half with below average explosion numbers and it clearly shows.

    Edit: There was also Kendricks that year, but I said he was going to end up a WLB too. There was a stanford game that put the nail in that coffin. He's fine when he can use explosion to meet an OL, but if he's not running at them then he would get engulfed.

    You’re barking up the wrong tree with the comment about not looking at the “tapes”. I have been intensely evaluating college players since 2011. Keeping legitimate databases on every player in each draft. While I can’t get to every player in the draft every year because I work a minimum of 40 hours a week and have a family, I watch 3-5 games on 200-250 draft eligible players a year. Just because I don’t get onto this site with an air horn showing everyone how much i know doesn’t mean I don’t put in the work. I browse this site rarely, and comment when I feel a need to. I use different platforms for my hobby.

    I did watch Wagner. I had a late 2nd round grade on him, and it would have been higher had I thought he was better in the run game. I actually had the same grade on Kuechly as well for the same reasons. I also was bullish on Hightower, but he definitely was not a sideline to sideline guy and while he covered better than I expected, it wasn’t at all a strength. Hightower was my top rated backer in that draft, and that was a mistake obviously. The only reason I brought those two up in the first place was to talk about my mistake in their evaluations and me learning from that mistake. I used to put way too much into the ability to get off blocks in my linebacker evaluations, and every year I see guys that struggle with it come into the league and light the league on fire. I want to say Jim Nagy even made a similar comment on twitter not too long ago about linebacker evaluations. We disagree on our past Wagner evaluations, that’s fine and that is common in scouting/evaluating players. It’s what makes the process so great really.

    Fair enough and apologies. For reference, however, that Auburn tape was significant due to validation against quality of competition. Auburn OL vs SDSU OL and such. Agree to disagree though...
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 5012
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA




It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online