Rashaad Penny: 2018 Results and 2019 Projections

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This is so silly. Penny was dinged up and missed much of training camp. Maybe not a big deal for a multi-year vet, but the kiss of death for a rookie. He got a slow start. As the season progressed, he got better. That's about all you can expect for a non top-10 draft pick.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• This is really just one person pushing an agenda, and I am well pleased that nobody else has bought into that agenda. I rip on this place plenty for knee-jerk reactions and negativity, so it's only fair I acknowledge when the collective community shows some football IQ.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• That pick is pure gold right now. We have 2 friggin stud RB's with different styles and a great line to block for them. Couple that with Homer and we're pretty sweet at rb for the moment.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• onanygivensunday wrote:Penny can thrive on the edges if Schotty finds ways to get him the ball in space.

Throw it?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• 1,200 yards rushing and 10TDs
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:Penny can thrive on the edges if Schotty finds ways to get him the ball in space.

Throw it?

Sure, as well as pitch it back to him as part of the RO package.

If you were to compile Penny's best runs from last year, I believe that a high % of them are when he gets the ball outside of the tackle box.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• It should be noted that Penny was not only the #1 rusher in FBS his senior year at SDSU, his entire college career he never missed -- a game or a practice -- due to injury. Most of the other RB's in that draft class did not have that type of "availability" going for them. Additionally, upon going into the Seahawks preseason, Penny had a significant hand injury
    that set him back in his development. Then, once healthy, Penny was used in spot duty and Carson was on a roll so he was obviously the set starter and rightfully so.

IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly. ANY RB is at risk of injury on nearly every play & Carson has had a very poor history of injury ever since he started playing football. Last season may have been an exception to his injury history, so having Penny available is a huge need that PC/JS needed to have for their run first system.
    :smilingalien:
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.
    And he’s set a record with 17 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter."

https://www.therams.com/news/opponent-b ... e-19990002
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• CamanoIslandJQ wrote:IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly.

Any RB who can't succeed between the tackles is not deserving of a first-round pick.

Penny was overdrafted. Only question is the degree, and whether the front office deserves excoriation for it. I personally fall into the "no harm, no foul" category there.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• ivotuk wrote:In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.

AND..Did we make the playoffs? :pukeface:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• CamanoIslandJQ wrote:It should be noted that Penny was not only the #1 rusher in FBS his senior year at SDSU, his entire college career he never missed -- a game or a practice -- due to injury. Most of the other RB's in that draft class did not have that type of "availability" going for them. Additionally, upon going into the Seahawks preseason, Penny had a significant hand injury
    that set him back in his development. Then, once healthy, Penny was used in spot duty and Carson was on a roll so he was obviously the set starter and rightfully so.

IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly. ANY RB is at risk of injury on nearly every play & Carson has had a very poor history of injury ever since he started playing football. Last season may have been an exception to his injury history, so having Penny available is a huge need that PC/JS needed to have for their run first system.
    :smilingalien:

Totally agree with this. Get a majority of his carries to the outside where he can and does thrive and the inside will start to soften up a bit for him. Use a player to his strengths and his weaknesses will seem a whole lot less.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Carson had knee surgery.... just sayin
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

He obviously did everything necessary to give a team a chance to win and get into the playoffs, considering he was in the top 5 of the leaderboard for QBs in nearly every meaningful statistic for QB play.

To say that the 2017 team did play well enough to make the playoffs at 9-6 isn't RW's fault, is it, then? The D was not the LOB playing at the top of their game.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Drafting a starting ready RB in ‘18 should be beyond challenge. Which round and whom to draft is however debatable. If Penny could not develop the ability or willingness to run up the middle, one could say that he might be the wrong choice because he would be somewhat limited as a RB.

So far, I got two problems with Penny:

1. He showed last year over weighted, that was before he hurt his hand; and didn’t really show a leaner Penny til way into the season. According to Pete, Penny show up trim at this week’s OTA so good news there.

2. It seemed like he was easy to tackle, which is very different from Carson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Drafting a starting ready RB in ‘18 should be beyond challenge. Which round and whom to draft is however debatable. If Penny could not develop the ability or willingness to run up the middle, one could say that he might be the wrong choice because he would be somewhat limited as a RB.

1. He showed last year over weighted, that was before he hurt his hand; and didn’t really show a leaner Penny til way into the season. According to Pete, Penny show up trim at this week’s OTA so good news there.

Penny lead all Seahawk RBs in YPC.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

He obviously did everything necessary to give a team a chance to win and get into the playoffs, considering he was in the top 5 of the leaderboard for QBs in nearly every meaningful statistic for QB play.

To say that the 2017 team did play well enough to make the playoffs at 9-6 isn't RW's fault, is it, then? The D was not the LOB playing at the top of their game.

He passed more than he ever did and his stats were not that good..
    My whole thing anyway is I could care less about his stats or anyone elses
    because that season was a bust..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:
    toffee wrote:Drafting a starting ready RB in ‘18 should be beyond challenge. Which round and whom to draft is however debatable. If Penny could not develop the ability or willingness to run up the middle, one could say that he might be the wrong choice because he would be somewhat limited as a RB.

Penny lead all Seahawk RBs in YPC.

Some could argue that Penny's ypc was a bit feast or famine, if he couldn't display an inside running game, it would be easier for opposing DCs to game plan how to stop what he is good at. Don't you think so? It's critical for Penny to display an adequate ability to run up the guts and shred a tackle or two along the way, that would keep the defense honest.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Statistical comparison is irrelevant when you have to take the 5th leading rusher in the NFL OFF the field to use Penny. I really don't get the mental hangup on that. Not even the fact that he was a 1st round pick given Carson’s injury last year. It was an absolute priority.

OTOH, Penny should really focus on the passing game this year. If he snatches up Davis' role amd snags 8-10 carries a game as Carson’s pitch hitter then that's great. Carson is a freak of a RB. I don't get the issue.

The issue lies between "JayhawkMike" and the Seahawks Front Office. The label ...... "arrogant front office" is a reoccurring favorite. This thread is simply the most recent iteration of that ongoing theme.

Not going to argue with that. They make some decisions that are questionable. I looked at a bunch of redrafts the other day and one listed Penny as the worst pick in the draft. If you draft a first rounder they should contribute immediately barring a preexisting injury. Seattle got no where close to first round value last year. Better performing backs where taken later.

By that logic, I can think of about a half dozen Hall of Fame players off the top of my head who were wasted draft picks. Troy Aikman, Drew Brees, Chris Carter, Steve Young, Michael Strahan, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice.. man that's just what popped up as I was reading this.

When it comes to modern running backs, Melvin Gordon comes to mind. His rookie season was worse than Penny's.

If you think a rookie RB in a system with 3 starters and a first-year OC has to put up 1000 yards and a pro bowl appearance or they're a wasted pick, well... I'd just encourage you to kick back and be patient. You can't judge him yet.

And frankly, he looked pretty good by the end of the season. I'm actually excited to see how he does this season.

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick that didn't play for his first three years. What a wasted pick for the Packers..
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information