Sherm and ET retiring as Seahawks (hopefully)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Lynch did the exact same thing as Sherman/ET...I dont see him getting vilified. He even retired and unretire to get out of playing with the Seahawks. Choosing when to practice and not to practice.

    What all of these guys did and what they have in common was they played hard and balled out every single time they were on field. They were pretty much the best in their positions. Of course they deserve to be in the ROH. They got us a Superbowl!
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 760
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


  • Sherm put Seattle on the map with his ego and that attitude made the team so great we destroyed in the Superbowl. Sports pundits started giving Seattle alot more respect. This team was really fun to watch because of what Sherm brought and I dont blame Sherm for how he left. We didnt see any improvement in the offense since we lost that superbowl.
    strohmin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 825
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 pm


  • If offered I think Thomas would gladly want to be in the ROH. Lynch may accept or not, depending on his mood that day. I think Sherm will tell the Hawks to go do one
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 636
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


  • strohmin wrote:Sherm put Seattle on the map with his ego and that attitude made the team so great we destroyed in the Superbowl. Sports pundits started giving Seattle alot more respect. This team was really fun to watch because of what Sherm brought and I dont blame Sherm for how he left. We didnt see any improvement in the offense since we lost that superbowl.


    The Seahawks put Sherm on the map. A 5th rounder to be exact. Loved his attitude but he made me cringe way more than once.

    Thomas was a can't miss first rounder, way different scenarios. To me Thomas was the difference in that secondary. He altered offenses. Sherman was responsible for one guy, Thomas : the whole offense. Thomas gave the finger to the entire team and fan base. That soured me tremendously on everything he did. It's like, when do you show gratitude for what you have been given?

    Kam showed up, played his guts out until he couldn't then remained on the sidelines cheering on his team. THIS is the difference between all of them. Collectively they were awesome. It was just a lot of luck getting all of them together at the same time and the chemistry was insane.

    If Sherman would have acted differently his final year I would feel different about him as well but he chose the path. To see team mates jumping around him was it for me. Why he would belittle the coaches like that it's NOT his job. None of us liked the way things went in the SB and after and that's why Bevell is gone.

    Sherm and Thomas are like spoiled milk on the morning cereal. These guys showed no class. No gratitude.

    Kam, class and ROH.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:
    strohmin wrote:Sherm put Seattle on the map with his ego and that attitude made the team so great we destroyed in the Superbowl. Sports pundits started giving Seattle alot more respect. This team was really fun to watch because of what Sherm brought and I dont blame Sherm for how he left. We didnt see any improvement in the offense since we lost that superbowl.


    The Seahawks put Sherm on the map. A 5th rounder to be exact. Loved his attitude but he made me cringe way more than once.

    Thomas was a can't miss first rounder, way different scenarios. To me Thomas was the difference in that secondary. He altered offenses. Sherman was responsible for one guy, Thomas : the whole offense. Thomas gave the finger to the entire team and fan base. That soured me tremendously on everything he did. It's like, when do you show gratitude for what you have been given?

    Kam showed up, played his guts out until he couldn't then remained on the sidelines cheering on his team. THIS is the difference between all of them. Collectively they were awesome. It was just a lot of luck getting all of them together at the same time and the chemistry was insane.

    If Sherman would have acted differently his final year I would feel different about him as well but he chose the path. To see team mates jumping around him was it for me. Why he would belittle the coaches like that it's NOT his job. None of us liked the way things went in the SB and after and that's why Bevell is gone.

    Sherm and Thomas are like spoiled milk on the morning cereal.

    Kam, class and ROH.


    What about Lynch? What about Baldwin? They did the same thing to our coaching staff.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 760
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


  • Largent80 wrote:
    Kam, class and ROH.


    Sure Thomas was a pain in the ass with his trade me if you don't want to pay me nonsense, but he showed up when it was game time and still balled out even though he didn't get his extension................Kam held out.

    Time will heal all this, all three deserve to go into the ROH. There's no reason to parse and nitpick off the field things when discussing the ROH. The LOB is the LOB, they all deserve credit when the time comes to induct.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15342
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Isn't the thread about Sherman and Thomas?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34657
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • rcaido wrote:Lynch did the exact same thing as Sherman/ET...I dont see him getting vilified. He even retired and unretire to get out of playing with the Seahawks. Choosing when to practice and not to practice.

    What all of these guys did and what they have in common was they played hard and balled out every single time they were on field. They were pretty much the best in their positions. Of course they deserve to be in the ROH. They got us a Superbowl!

    I'm feeling like I'm in the minority here. I couldn't stand Lynch or Sherman's antics, but I had no issue with ET's. Lynch and Sherman, IMO, are as a responsible for this teams decline as they were for the rise. What ET did was selfish, but he didn't call out coaches or point the finger at teammates. ET's issues with management were bad from an optics point of view, but by all of counts he was not a distraction or bad for the locker room. His final year was the only year he voluntarily missed practice, and he eventually bought into the team and practiced before he was injured.

    With that said, all of them deserve to be in the RoH.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2008
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


  • Largent80 wrote:Isn't the thread about Sherman and Thomas?


    Why did you talk about Kam Then?


    Also... Ron is a subjective honor bestowed upon players based on their comparison to other players.. like Kam, Lynch, Baldwin.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15520
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • In defense of Sherman...
    First, I view Sherman as a card-carrying NPD Narcissist.
    He's also very smart and a super-hard worker.

    His impact... Teams didn't throw to the Sherman's side of the field very much.

    Sherman was right about many things, but publicly wrong about many things. Like saying that the former UW receiver (name escapes me but he destroyed the Cougs in the Apple Cup) should have made the team, because of some splash plays in practice and preseason. Publicly and stupidly wrong.

    On the other hand, Sherman was a warrior on the field, played through injuries, made many tackles in the run game.
    IIRC, Sherman also volunteered and insisted on playing Special Teams, punt coverage and such. Remember Sherman playing with one good arm for the 4th quarter of SB49 and Brady and Belichick still not picking on him? (Tharald Simon instead...)

    I think, on balance, Sherman is deserving of the ROH, but I can certainly understand he annoyed people in how he left. I'm giving Sherman a bit of a pass, because Sherman's exit behavior is what I would expect from an extrovert NPD Narcissist. He gave his all for the team when he was here, and contributed to the 'Hawks getting additional national attention. Crapping on Crabtree after "the tip"? Eating a turkey drumstick on the 49er's field after a nationally televised win over the 49ers? Priceless, attention-grabbling, even if a bit awkward. And who can forget, "I'm better at LIFE than you!" directed at Skip Bayless.

    While ET was great, I don't see him as worthy of the ROH. Perhaps a double standard relative to Sherman on my part. Or maybe I just need more time to think that one over. The "come get me" thing, the flipping off... those don't convey a ROH level of personal conduct *while with the team*. At least Sherman's crap came (mostly) after being released by the team.

    A Narcissist like Sherman, turning down an honor like being permanently emblazoned in club history, as a member of the Ring of Honor? Are you kidding me??!! That's what people like Sherman LIVE for, to be remembered, to be publicly praised.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • UK_Seahawk wrote:They seem a very American thing, these traditions like rings of honour / shirt retirements and the like.
    Personally they strike me as twee and self congratulatory.


    Yes, but what about that England '66 team? Shouldn't their numbers all be retired, Geoff Hurst, Nobby Stiles, and the rest?
    Oh wait, Nobby Stiles, a national hero with the rest of that team, has struggled to get by after being diagnosed with Alzheimers 20ish years ago. Had to sell his world cup champion medals to get by and pay for treatment and support after his Alzheimer's diagnosis.

    The Daily Mail thinks England should do better for their past athletic heroes. The Germans do, says the Mail.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... tiles.html

    If the Brits did have traditions like jersey retirements, and Ring of Honor and such for their past athletic heroes, might it help with those pioneers being looked after better, later in life?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • For those not from the UK and the Queen's English, a definition to share:

    twee
    /twē/
    adjectiveBRITISH
    excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental.
    "although the film's a bit twee, it's watchable"
    synonyms: quaint, sweet, bijou, dainty, pretty, pretty-pretty; More

    One more tidbit from the Daily Express:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/75602 ... failed-him
    "Last year the Daily Express campaigned for Stiles and his 1966 England team-mates to be knighted before it is too late.
    The crusade was launched after revelations that he, along with teammates Ray Wilson and Martin Peters, had had dementia diagnosed. "

    "One fan wrote: “State of football when an agent gets paid £20million for a deal and a footballing hero like Nobby Stiles has to sell medals and struggle alone.”
    Another said: “Sad to see this, Man Utd should be doing more for Nobby Stiles. Like to think football look after their own.”

    This is not in any way intended to be an attack on the UK or British culture. I love British people! Like the Brits on the SCUBA dive boat who asked me to repeat phrases from the Simpsons for them with my "American accent", and were endlessly amused!

    Simply pointing out mutual struggles, for example, the NFL with repetitive brain trauma issues (e.g., Junior Seau)
    https://www.brain-injury-law-center.com ... in-injury/

    While things like the Ring of Honor could seem "twee" at first Brit glance, I submit that institutionally remembering athletic heroes of days past contributes to helping those *people* have better experiences and support when their playing days are long over.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • I'm bummed the LOB has blown up.
    I don't blame the team at all.
    Ego's got in the way.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78
     
    Posts: 1884
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:44 pm
    Location: Smokey Point


Previous


It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online