Hawks expected to sign Geno Smith

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Hawks expected to sign Geno Smith
Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:T
    I think Smith can play in our system much more readily then Lynch due to his ability to move and more mobile.
    I kind of look at Lynch as Dan McGwire or Osweiller.

Actually Paxton Lynch is surprisingly mobile and a much better runner than one would expect, based on his college and limited pro highlights. I was surprised, because I also assumed he'd be a Dan McGwire type of stiff also, as a tall guy. Or have you watched his tape and still concluded he's am immobile stiff?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2019 8:55 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:T
    I think Smith can play in our system much more readily then Lynch due to his ability to move and more mobile.
    I kind of look at Lynch as Dan McGwire or Osweiller.

Actually Paxton Lynch is surprisingly mobile and a much better runner than one would expect, based on his college and limited pro highlights. I was surprised, because I also assumed he'd be a Dan McGwire type of stiff also, as a tall guy. Or have you watched his tape and still concluded he's am immobile stiff?

I stand corrected, I may have been seeing Ossweiller footage and crossing them up, went on youtube and watched his highlights and draft work out and yes much more mobile then I though he would be.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 am
  • Anyone like his pizza rolls?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat May 18, 2019 2:58 pm
  • Paxton Lynch had a Wonderlic score of 18, while Geno Smith had a 24. Russell Wilson's was 28.
    Paxton Lynch might not be smart enough to run this offense. A guy with a much higher Wonderlic (my guess), John Elway, moved on from Lynch.

It will be interesting to see how the backup QB competition goes. If Wonderlic scores are any predictor (within a relevant range of athletic ability) then we can expect to see Geno Smith as our backup QB. Honestly, it's alarming to see Lynch to have such a low score.

Malik McDowell's Wonderlic? 15. Maybe when John Schneider talked about the 'Hawks changing their minimum requirements for drafting players, this is one of the factors.

In other news, .NET will soon require all posters to include their Wonderlic in their sig.
    Kidding!! About that part, anyway. the Wonderlic scores I supplied are accurate.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Paxton Lynch had a Wonderlic score of 18, while Geno Smith had a 24. Russell Wilson's was 28.
    Paxton Lynch might not be smart enough to run this offense. A guy with a much higher Wonderlic (my guess), John Elway, moved on from Lynch.

It will be interesting to see how the backup QB competition goes. If Wonderlic scores are any predictor (within a relevant range of athletic ability) then we can expect to see Geno Smith as our backup QB. Honestly, it's alarming to see Lynch to have such a low score.

Malik McDowell's Wonderlic? 15. Maybe when John Schneider talked about the 'Hawks changing their minimum requirements for drafting players, this is one of the factors.

In other news, .NET will soon require all posters to include their Wonderlic in their sig.
    Kidding!! About that part, anyway. the Wonderlic scores I supplied are accurate.

If I remember correctly Dan Marinos was 16...………..
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 19, 2019 6:22 am
  • OK, Geno Smith's decent Wonderlic of 24 notwithstanding, I hope he is a LOT smarter than when he did this:
    https://newrepublic.com/article/122531/ ... broken-jaw
    Yes, he got punched over a $600 debt he owed to a teammate. Stupid. Pay the man $600 even if you have quibbles with the validity of the debt. You're the freakin' QB of the team, making way more bank than this backup DE.
    Yes, this backup DE, IK Enemkpali, is a dumb hothead for punching his QB. While I don't approve of his choices, it sure seems like GSmith had it coming.

Can you imagine Russell Wilson stiffing a teammate on a $600 debt, even when on his rookie contract, and even when he had some quibbles with it? Hell NO!! Russell would *take responsibility*, and not only cough up the cash, but also *apologize* to his teammate over the whole situation, where he didn't show up at his friend's football camp like he promised, AND he would find some other way to make it right. Russell has always understood that as the leader, it's his responsibility to set an example.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 11:41 am
  • chris98251 wrote:If I remember correctly Dan Marinos was 16...………..

Yeah, that's what's on record for Marino... 16.
    Jim Kelly also had a similar score, by all accounts. I didn't ever find the story behind Marino's 16 score. Obviously, both he and Jim Kelly were very smart, articulate team leaders and NFL HOF QBs.

More recently, I do know that DB Morris Claiborne was subjected to ridicule for a score of 4 (or was it 6), and learning disabilities were involved. My girlfriend is dyslexic, and taking college classes now, and I've concluded that her dyslexia costs her a FULL LETTER GRADE LOWER in each class, and that grades tend to measure her disability more than her ability and effort. With accommodations for her disability, such as being able to have online learning systems and tests that support the fonts Open Dyslexic or Dyslexie font, she does much better. Also, she needs extra time on tests, like on math tests, to do the entire test TWICE, and if the answers differ, find out where she flipped numbers in the transcribing process. Also, Frank Gore scored unusually low, and we've seen him shred the Seahawk defense numerous times over the years.

I can tell you that the dyslexic-friendly fonts make a huge positive difference for my household's sample size of one. If you have dyslexic reader/learner in your life, and they don't know about these fonts, here are some resources to start with.
    For information on dyslexic-friendly fonts, see:
    https://www.dyslexiefont.com/en/typeface/
    https://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/d ... -font.html
    https://blog.dyslexia.com/good-fonts-fo ... tal-study/

The Wonderlic is a timed test. I've taken sample versions of it, just to get a feel for it, and I score decently, say the tier below Ryan Fitzpatrick and Pat McInally, in the tier with Eli, Aaron, and Tom, but my score can easily vary 5 points based on my state of mind at the time. In an alternate life, that may have helped me qualify for a position breaking down film as a QA coaching assistant, but that's about it.

My feeling is that the Wonderlic is a valid instrument, with its own limitations, just like a 40 time, but only to show if additional scrutiny is needed, not an end in itself. High scores guarantee nothing. Unusually low scores indicate a need for understanding why the player scored so low. Learning disabilities? Dyslexia? NFL football players need to be SMART, and to digest and process and analyze a lot of information quickly. The Wonderlic measures that in a paper-based exercise, which absolutely has limitations in translation to a real-life high-speed physical setting of an NFL game.

From: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 481414002/
    "New York Giants general manager George Young once told the Philadelphia Daily News a low Wonderlic score would cause him to look more closely, talking to coaches, examining school records and possibly using alternative tests to assess a player's ability to learn."

I recall Pete Carroll talking in the past about dealing with players with learning disabilities, and realizing when a player has that, and then finding ways of giving those players support and accommodations they need, to take in and process information at an NFL level.

As all this applies to Geno Smith, his poor judgment in dealing with the DE who broke his jaw is a much bigger concern than his Wonderlic. What has he learned? Has he developed the character to be a team leader if the 'Hawks need him to step in for a few games if Russell is unavailable? Does his overall story show that he is teachable, resilient, and has the potential to learn from Russell's example?

Paxton Lynch has his own set of question marks, on his study and work habits. Topic for a different day and thread.

Will either one be of any use in the QB meeting room, with Russell, reviewing film, studying opponents, helping the coaches develop game plans? I'm hoping that's the biggest assignment our QB2 has.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Anyone like his pizza rolls?

Yes. :)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am
  • I am fine with this as long he can call a good overtime coin flip
    Jayburd14
    NET Starter

Sat May 25, 2019 10:49 am
  • The similar arm length of Geno Smith at 34.38 inches and Paxton Lynch at 34 1/4 inches contrasts with that of Russell Wilson at 31 inch arm length. Wilson is closer to Kyler Murray's 28.4 inch arm length.

I'm curious about the throwing accuracy we will see from these competitors in the preseason. Since some of these quarterbacks also excelled at baseball, the length of Paxton Lynch brings back memories of the career of Randy Johnson at a time of a controversy as to whether the "Big Unit" was too big to get all his length sufficiently under control to throw with consistent precision. At the time, the Kansas City Royals were cited as an organization who preferred the throwing accuracy of 5'-9" .... 5'-10" pitchers. Randy did go on to throw a ton of pitches and eventually throw with consistent precision. But, he is among the exceptions. In the early years, shorter frames continue to have an edge in throwing with precision.

It will be entertaining to see how quickly these quarterbacks zero in on passing accuracy. I'm anticipating Kyler Murray will show good accuracy early on in games in his first season. I expect to see the young and long Paxton Lynch struggle the most until he builds up his cumulative throws.

This is going to be an entertaining year at quarterback. It is almost as if this year's back up priority might be for a long enemy quarterback to challenge the defense by using length to deliver quick opening passes designed to negate a pass rush. We'll see.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information