Meaning of Failed Physical designation?

jkp28

Reaction score
Wondering what this means --"Failed physical designation?"
I mean, Doug just had groin/sports hernia surgery, which takes 2 mos for recovery. Of course, if he had a physical NOW, he'd fail. Why do a physical now, or is it pre-emptive?

Any insights?

kidhawk

Reaction score
jkp28":1tzs8u0j said:
I mean, Doug just had groin/sports hernia surgery, which takes 2 mos for recovery. Of course, if he had a physical NOW, he'd fail. Why do a physical now, or is it pre-emptive?

Any insights?

The designation has financial implications. This will give him the right to possible injury compensation (I believe I read it's up to $1.2 million). A part of the CBA doesn't allow teams to release injured players without the injury designation.

It's basically just a legal technicality in the phrasing. It's not as if they were just looking for a reason to release him so they gave him a physical after surgery.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":3faif26l said:
jkp28":3faif26l said:

Any insights?

The designation has financial implications. This will give him the right to possible injury compensation (I believe I read it's up to $1.2 million). A part of the CBA doesn't allow teams to release injured players without the injury designation.

It's basically just a legal technicality in the phrasing. It's not as if they were just looking for a reason to release him so they gave him a physical after surgery.
Plus, I'm pretty sure this is a negotiated settlement. It seems to work well (if not best) for both team and player. Doug gets an honorable out that doesn't jeopardize his signing bonuses, and the team gets salary cap relief.