Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks signed Ziggy according to Schefter

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This had to happen, we would have limped into the season without a proven edge.

Ran a 4.56 at 271-lbs at the combine. As Jimmy Johns would say "that is freaky fast."

Hope this works out, looks like a really smart deal AND we aren't committed long-term if it doesn't.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/3/4 ... e-training
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:I don't know the details of his contract, but does it really matter if he makes $10 million or $14 million? Yeah, that's an enormous difference to the average person, but I don't think it means anything for this franchise. It wouldn't cost us any other signings.

We want Ansah to max out his incentives, because it means he just balled out for us.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Rat wrote:I don't know the details of his contract, but does it really matter if he makes $10 million or $14 million? Yeah, that's an enormous difference to the average person, but I don't think it means anything for this franchise. It wouldn't cost us any other signings.

It does

You can't say in a vacuum oh so what they overpaid one guy $4million. You have to look at it in the way they sign contracts and if they just overpay left and right it adds up a lot

$4million would have kept Earl Thomas from holding out as example

$4million would have gotten an O-line player here years ago (on top of his salary)

$4 million for a lot of position is a lot of extra that would get that FA here

Wasting $8 million on Joeckel, paying Cary Williams $3.5MM etc etc adds up and the more you have of that the more you hurt the team and the less the better and it does absolutely means something for the franchise.

Are they going to hit on every signing - NO, but limit the overpaying and limit the mistakes is what differentiates pedestrian teams from Super Bowl winning teams
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

1 Year $13.5 million $5.5 million guaranteed. If he makes $13.5 million he killed it and I have no issues with him getting paid for 14.5 sacks.
    Last edited by SeaWolv on Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

• With incentives. We flat out want him to make the full 13.5.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• mikeak wrote:
    Rat wrote:I don't know the details of his contract, but does it really matter if he makes $10 million or $14 million? Yeah, that's an enormous difference to the average person, but I don't think it means anything for this franchise. It wouldn't cost us any other signings.

It does

You can't say in a vacuum oh so what they overpaid one guy $4million. You have to look at it in the way they sign contracts and if they just overpay left and right it adds up a lot

$4million would have gotten an O-line player here years ago (on top of his salary)

Wasting $8 million on Joeckel, paying Cary Williams $3.5MM etc etc adds up and the more you have of that the more you hurt the team and the less the better and it does absolutely means something for the franchise.

Are they going to hit on every signing - NO, but limit the overpaying and limit the mistakes is what differentiates pedestrian teams from Super Bowl winning teams

But in this vacuum, if the player makes another 4 million its because hes having a tremendous season
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Rapaport is offering a more optimistic prognosis for Ziggy's readiness: mid-training camp.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Everybody was questioning PC & JS sanity when they dealt away our best Pass Rusher, well.........We now have the ANSAH........................Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:Everybody was questioning PC & JS sanity when they dealt away our best Pass Rusher, well.........We now have the ANSAH........................Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:

IMO getting the first rounder for Clark, of which John turned into some serious draft capital to get hopefully multiple great players far exceeds the Ansah signing, who there's still question marks about his health.

Don't get me wrong, both is great, but the Ansah signing is dwarfed by what Pete and John did with that extra #1 pick.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Everybody was questioning PC & JS sanity when they dealt away our best Pass Rusher, well.........We now have the ANSAH........................Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:

IMO getting the first rounder for Clark, of which John turned into some serious draft capital to get hopefully multiple great players far exceeds the Ansah signing, who there's still question marks about his health.

Don't get me wrong, both is great, but the Ansah signing is dwarfed by what Pete and John did with that extra #1 pick.

You could view trading Frank and signing Ansah as part of the same deal.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:Everybody was questioning PC & JS sanity when they dealt away our best Pass Rusher, well.........We now have the ANSAH........................Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:

In some ways, it kinda was all the same action. Without the cap relief from Clark, signing Ansah was probably a bit dicey, cap-wise. Now, we still have some cap room to work with in later stages of FA.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• well played Mr. Schneider.Well played.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:Big move and a good price, if he stays healthy this could make us a contender.

I am reading he may be out the first month of the season recovering from shoulder surgery.
    tom95
    NET Rookie

• knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Ansah was a need filled by trading Clark, so if you're talking straight swap of the two players, time will tell as to whether Ansah can fill Clark's shoes.

It's all connected for sure, but if we're "neener neenering" the people who questioned the Clark trade, we already won that deal with what Pete and John did with the 1st rounder.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• mikeak wrote:
    Rat wrote:I don't know the details of his contract, but does it really matter if he makes $10 million or $14 million? Yeah, that's an enormous difference to the average person, but I don't think it means anything for this franchise. It wouldn't cost us any other signings.

It does

Yeah, I'd agree if it was March, but this late in free agency? I have a hard time believing that extra few million is going to make any difference for how the team is constructed for the current season.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Ansah was a need filled by trading Clark, so if you're talking straight swap of the two players, time will tell as to whether Ansah can fill Clark's shoes.

It's all connected for sure, but if we're "neener neenering" the people who questioned the Clark trade, we already won that deal with what Pete and John did with the 1st rounder.

Why do we need time to tell about the Ansah-Clark swap, but not the Clark trade? We have no idea if those extra picks are going to work out, or if Clark is going to continue to see a career progression.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Ansah was a need filled by trading Clark, so if you're talking straight swap of the two players, time will tell as to whether Ansah can fill Clark's shoes.

Strictly speaking, we just got Collier with that first rounder. However, it allowed Pete and John to comfortably deal down our own first rounder to pick up another 6 picks in the 2nd-6th rounds.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:Last time we signed a DE from the Lions on a one year deal it turned out very well for us.
    <snip>.

I like it!! Yes, Cliff Avril was one of the Seahawks all-time best signings, and was the REAL Super Bowl 48 MVP. Darren Smith just caught the ball and ran. Avril's pressure and hit forced the lollipop throw.

IIRC, Avril would have gotten us a second Lombardi the next year, but got knocked out of the game with a concussion and that allowed Brady the time to find who Simon was covering and throw there and lead the Pats to the win.

If Ansah turns out anything like Avril, we could be back in the Superb Owl this coming year.

Agree 100% there is a lot odf blame going around for that super bowl but that injury to me was the turning point. Up to then Brady was getting hassled all game.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Ansah was a need filled by trading Clark, so if you're talking straight swap of the two players, time will tell as to whether Ansah can fill Clark's shoes.

Why do we need time to tell about the Ansah-Clark swap, but not the Clark trade? We have no idea if those extra picks are going to work out, or if Clark is going to continue to see a career progression.

Fair enough, time will tell on everything.

Bottom line, glad both happened. I love Clark, but rarely does a contract like his work out for the team. I'd rather get back to getting young, hungry and sprinkle in team friendly deals for free agents like Ansah with big upsides.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I'd contest that. We're talking pass rush collateral, not generic player collateral. Lack of pass rush has been a foremost culprit every time we've been bounced from the playoffs.

I'm relieved we signed Ansah on paper, but for this to work out, Collier and Ansah need to be forces all season.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm relieved we signed Ansah on paper, but for this to work out, Collier and Ansah need to be forces all season.

Additionally, Green, Martin, etc.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:
    Yeah, I'd agree if it was March, but this late in free agency? I have a hard time believing that extra few million is going to make any difference for how the team is constructed for the current season.

For this season -- 100% agree

You do know that unused cap rolls over between years right? So it would be $4million you don't have next year and if you have five of those deals $20million

That is why my point is there -- it all adds up because cap rolls over after the "new" CBA. Will it in the next one? Surely
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Note on the contract amount

"only" $5.5 million are supposedly guaranteed, but the base salary is $9million

So assuming he doesn't get cut during the first year - it is a $9million contract. If he gets cut we wasted at least $5.5M so lets hope we spend the $9M...….

Then an additional $3.5M-$4M in incentives

That makes a lot more sense than the original $5.5M with incentives up to $12.5M we were hearing
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    Rat wrote:

For this season -- 100% agree

You do know that unused cap rolls over between years right? So it would be $4million you don't have next year and if you have five of those deals $20million

That is why my point is there -- it all adds up because cap rolls over after the "new" CBA. Will it in the next one? Surely

Actually, I did not know that. I suppose that would change the thought process a bit. I don't know anything about our cap situation for next season though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• No structural damage means he can fully recover, it's just gonna be August. The incentive-laden part is incredible. We're far better off with these two des than we would've been signing a crippling contract with Clark. We might have the same issue next off-season, though, if he kicks ass hard enough. A superb situation would be to replace or increase last year's sack/pressure numbers, but with more different players, instead of just Clark and Reed. Then we keep everybody and we is talking a Dynasty nasty D, ya'll.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Ezekiel Ansah's journey from Ghana to BYU, to being the 5th overall pick by Detroit in the 2013 draft is a more remarkable rags to riches story than Kurt Warner bagging groceries. A very likeable guy, we were lucky to get him... some great stuff on youtube about him. Welcome Ziggy!
    Seahawker76
    NET Rookie

• Seahawker76 wrote:Ezekiel Ansah's journey from Ghana to BYU, to being the 5th overall pick by Detroit in the 2013 draft is a more remarkable rags to riches story than Kurt Warner bagging groceries. A very likeable guy, we were lucky to get him... some great stuff on youtube about him. Welcome Ziggy!
    this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:Everybody was questioning PC & JS sanity when they dealt away our best Pass Rusher, well.........We now have the ANSAH........................Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :lol:

I like what you did. I remember the board buzzing about him in the draft forum then his combine put him outta reach, and I too hope it turns out like the Cliff signing.

This year looks very promising and the overall positive energy round here is a nice change to come back to.

:2thumbs:
    EmbattleTheeHawks
    NET Rookie

• Is he the only ‘star’ that we have signed in the last two years or I have missed someone? Marshall was way over his prime although he was a star, back in the days.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Is he the only ‘star’ that we have signed in the last two years or I have missed someone? Marshall was way over his prime although he was a star, back in the days.

This is the biggest deal since the Duane Brown trade with Houston, let's hope it works out as well. They seem to have a bit of a Midas touch of late. With all of our 2020 draft picks they still could swing a deal for an impact player if the price was right, WR?
    Seahawker76
    NET Rookie

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• The one-year deal has benefits as well -

If he has a good season and stays healthy the team has three options:
    1. Re-sign him to a longer-term deal
    2. Franchise tag him
    3. Allow him to sign elsewhere and recoup a comp pick

If he has a poor year or ends up injured again, there is no long-term financial hit
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• Seahawker76 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Is he the only ‘star’ that we have signed in the last two years or I have missed someone? Marshall was way over his prime although he was a star, back in the days.

This is the biggest deal since the Duane Brown trade with Houston, let's hope it works out as well. They seem to have a bit of a Midas touch of late. With all of our 2020 draft picks they still could swing a deal for an impact player if the price was right, WR?

Who though? The only possibility I could see would be AJ Green. He'd be on the final year of his contract so he doesn't impact our long-term cap situation. Most other trade targets are still on expensive long-term deals.

They have a decent cushion financially, so it's possible they've got something like that up their sleeve.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Totally Agree with A-Dog
    Floridahawk79
    NET Veteran

• Seahawker76 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Is he the only ‘star’ that we have signed in the last two years or I have missed someone? Marshall was way over his prime although he was a star, back in the days.

My bad, it's Duane Brown and Ziggy. Two stars FA that we have signed in the last two years.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information