Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Is Doug Really Done?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Is Doug Baldwin going to retire or will he still be an active player on the roster in September?

He's done. Too many injuries.
53%
Come on man! This is ADB we are talking about. Of course he will be suiting up for the Hawks in the Fall.
47%

Total votes : 75

Is Doug Really Done?
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am
  • This dude is a warrior. He's not built like most. Cerebral, contemplative and gifted. Maybe it's denial but I for one am voting that Doug is in a Seahawks uniform and on the field come September. What about you?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Is Doug Really Done?
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 am
  • They wouldn't have drafted 3 WR if he were coming back. They've known for awhile too his likely intentions.

It has nothing to do with his competitive desire, it's simply the multiple surgeries and aggravating injuries are taking their toll and his body is breaking down. He absolutely gutted it out last year to make it through the year but now the harm done to his body is just too much.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:24 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:They wouldn't have drafted 3 WR if he were coming back. They've known for awhile too his likely intentions.

It has nothing to do with his competitive desire, it's simply the multiple surgeries and aggravating injuries are taking their toll and his body is breaking down. He absolutely gutted it out last year to make it through the year but now the harm done to his body is just too much.

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote but there's still that nagging aspect in my mind that if anyone can come back from his situation, it's him.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:43 pm
  • ---------- rec/yards/td
    Largent 819/13089/100
    Blades 581/7620/34
    Baldwin 493/6563/49
    Jackson 441/6445/47
    Seahawker76
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm
  • From reading Doug's tweets over the weekend, and listening to what both Pete and John have said about Doug......it sure sounds like he's done with football.

You're right, Doug isn't built like most of us. But IMO that means he's always believed that he's destined for bigger and better things beyond the football field. He has big ambition to make social change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see within a couple years Doug Baldwin running for mayor, city council or even governor. I truly think that's where his passion lies now.

So as much as I don't want it to be true, yes I believe he's done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm
  • :180670:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:From reading Doug's tweets over the weekend

His Game of Thrones tweets? LMAO
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:14 pm
  • He's done at least for this year..I wouldn't rule out a comeback with him.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 pm
  • I brought up this topic months ago and posters all said, "No."

Doug is a smart guy.

He's done.

Health after football is vastly more important than attempting to play one more year with the condition he's at.

He has nothing left to prove to himself, much less, anyone else.

Doug was an undrafted player that almost quit football altogether in college.

He rose to SuperBowl champion and will currently go down as the second best (after Largent) Seahawks receiver of all-time.

Godspeed, Doug!

We will miss you and you will always be a "Seahawk."

We will see you in the Seahawks Ring of Honor.

Thank you!
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:04 pm
  • I'm willing to think he'll go the Marshawn route. Maybe he takes a year off, and then comes back after missing the game too much.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:From reading Doug's tweets over the weekend, and listening to what both Pete and John have said about Doug......it sure sounds like he's done with football.

You're right, Doug isn't built like most of us. But IMO that means he's always believed that he's destined for bigger and better things beyond the football field. He has big ambition to make social change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see within a couple years Doug Baldwin running for mayor, city council or even governor. I truly think that's where his passion lies now.

So as much as I don't want it to be true, yes I believe he's done.

Most definitely will Doug find himself in some role that allows him the platform to help cultivate social change on some level. He's a brilliant mind with activism in his heart. Yet, he is a fierce competitor, and it's that side of him that makes me think we haven't seen the last of him, but I completely understand why most think he's done. He very well could be but personally, whether it's this season or takes a year off, I really think we haven't seen the last of him just yet.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:21 pm
  • GLio14 wrote:I'm willing to think he'll go the Marshawn route. Maybe he takes a year off, and then comes back after missing the game too much.

Totally could see this happening.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 pm
  • Everything pointing to him being done. The cap space will get a boost?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 am
  • toffee wrote:Everything pointing to him being done. The cap space will get a boost?

The Times reported yesterday about this;

s Corry noted, the Seahawks will save $6.856 million against the cap in 2019 if Baldwin is released prior to June 2. If it is done after that date, then the team saves $10 million. In each case, though, that number likely then drops by the $1.2 million of the injury protection money Baldwin would be due.

I assume the Hawks will not make Doug pay back any bonus out of good faith, like they did for Marshawn when he "retired."
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    toffee wrote:Everything pointing to him being done. The cap space will get a boost?

The Times reported yesterday about this;

s Corry noted, the Seahawks will save $6.856 million against the cap in 2019 if Baldwin is released prior to June 2. If it is done after that date, then the team saves $10 million. In each case, though, that number likely then drops by the $1.2 million of the injury protection money Baldwin would be due.

I assume the Hawks will not make Doug pay back any bonus out of good faith, like they did for Marshawn when he "retired."

So the team save more by release after June 2? Sounded like we will have additional cap for FA.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 9:04 pm
  • Just to be clear, we wouldn't be saving more money overall but instead kicking some of it down the road to next season. Front offices always have a higher discount rate than the long-term fans do and I rarely like this sort of move as a result.

If we're going to designate stuff post June 2nd (Kam's contract as well) it should be an exception not the rule and done for an excellent reason. A player on a good deal or a key extension done early would be OK with me, whereas just overpaying guys at the end of FA because we have extra cash is not a good use of 2020 dollars.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 pm
  • Another rally by Doug?, I'd be ecstatic as all get out, but injuries have taken their toll on the warrior, it's got to be weighing heavy on his mind.
    Whatever happens, finding his replacement is going to be a mega challenge.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 am
  • I think he is recovering and is going to see how he feels afterwards and make a decision. My feeling is he will try to play.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I think he is recovering and is going to see how he feels afterwards and make a decision. My feeling is he will try to play.

Thanks for sharing. Do you have any real info though, or just feelings?
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 am
  • Does anybody have real info ?

Doug will do what’s best for Doug .

We all hope that’s playing for Seattle next season . He’s arguably the greatest toe tapper in the history of the NFL . Which is ironic considering it was Cris Carter ( the toe tap legend ) who called Baldwin a pedestrian and absolutely lit a fire under Doug’s behind .

3rd downs and 4th downs , I feel like I can make a 10 minute highlight video on those downs alone .
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am
  • I'm going no, but it's based on wishful thinking rather that real gut feeling. :?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 7:10 am
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:Does anybody have real info ?

Just what Pete and John said after the draft, they both seemed pretty sure Doug was leaning towards retirement..........and they certainly drafted like he's not coming back.

Obviously we all hope Doug doesn't retire, next to Largent he's the greatest receiver in team history. But all indicators point to him not coming back.

I think we'll know a lot more come June.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed May 08, 2019 8:39 am
  • They drafted 3 WR's because of the obvious, not just because of Baldwins health. It takes time to develop at WR and it was obvious that we needed fresh blood there. Moore blew a tire, they hardly threw to Brown which was extremely dumb.

Doug will decide WHEN he is done assessing himself post sports hernia surgery. It's as simple as that.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am
  • Largent80 wrote:They drafted 3 WR's because of the obvious, not just because of Baldwins health. It takes time to develop at WR and it was obvious that we needed fresh blood there. Moore blew a tire, they hardly threw to Brown which was extremely dumb.

Doug will decide WHEN he is done assessing himself post sports hernia surgery. It's as simple as that.

Source?
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 pm
  • Here's exactly what Schneider said during the draft coverage.

John Schneider wrote:We know Doug's going to have a hard time. There's a process we need to go through with Doug.... Considering it, yeah, but there's a process to go through with that.... When you get to this point, he's at a point in a career where's he's considering a lot of different things. Once you get there there's a lot of different ways.. there's stuff with the league office, with the union, that we need to work with.

Of course it's only speculation. Bringing in the league office and union make this sound a lot more about how exactly Doug is going to retire - ie. negotiated injury settlement vs. release vs. retirement - rather than if he is going to retire.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm
  • I never got around to buying a wolf gray DBFresh jersey but whether he hangs 'em up or not I'm getting one.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm
  • If there's a Player who could make a comeback from what he's gone thru it's Doug... He's been unbelievable when nobody thought he could or should play... I believe he'll be suited up this season, but will probably be used sparingly when absolutely needed... If he thinks he can play and be productive. I think he'll at least give it one more try before turning in his Uni... Whatever happens, he'll leave the game on a High! :irishdrinkers:
    Hawkboi
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Wed May 08, 2019 10:00 pm
  • If anyone could its him. Epitome of heart/fight. But if can’t man what a career he made for himself, left it all there. If hangs it up it truly means he can’t go. Deserves a Rudy shoulder carry if done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 am
  • I'm actually thinking he sits 2019 and comes back in 2020.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 am
  • retire or not, I would love it if Angry can be on the sideline like Kam. He needs to mentor our youngsters, transfer some of the anger on to them.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2019 9:24 am
  • toffee wrote:retire or not, I would love it if Angry can be on the sideline like Kam. He needs to mentor our youngsters, transfer some of the anger on to them.

While I agree, Doug seems to have bigger dreams and ambitions post football. As I said above, I wouldn't put it past him to run for public office or hook up with a major charitable organization to do more civic endeavors.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 09, 2019 1:08 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm actually thinking he sits 2019 and comes back in 2020.

He is old and injured, he's done....
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm
  • Thanks for your contribution. It was a prediction, this is a message board. He's clearly not old :roll:
    Pretty impressive to say he's done AFTER it's announced he was cut. Amazing.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 09, 2019 1:40 pm
  • Well that answers that. Damn.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm
  • I really hope to God this is a Marshawn situation, and that he comes back in 2020
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Thanks for your contribution. It was a prediction, this is a message board. He's clearly not old :roll:

Just as impressive as every single prediction being "my heart says that [insert super optimistic projection that is best-case scenario for my beloved team]".
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

Thu May 09, 2019 1:51 pm
  • I guess it's possible Doug comes back, here or elsewhere.

But honestly I don't think he's wired that way. I think if he still had a passion to play, he'd do everything he could now to rehab and continue committing himself to football.

Now that he's done, I think he's done. He has bigger aspirations in life, and like football Doug going to commit himself full time to those passions now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm
  • Hate to say I was right last year when I said he was done. DK time!
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm
  • Big hole to fill. Thanks Doug for everything you have done here.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2019 5:58 pm
  • This just in Jerry Rice is coming out of retirement and wants to know if it's ok to wear 89 this time.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:This just in Jerry Rice is coming out of retirement and wants to know if it's ok to wear 89 this time.

Jerry and TO, comeback bros lol

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu May 09, 2019 7:16 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Thanks for your contribution. It was a prediction, this is a message board. He's clearly not old :roll:

He IS old and injured, getting cut rather than retiring was a technicality to benefit Doug, he will soon announce his retirement, he is DONE... Next man up.....
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Thu May 09, 2019 7:48 pm
  • Mother Puss Buckets... I might could miss him the very much.

GOOGLE THAT CHRIS CARTER.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 am
  • Just saw an article online that Dez Bryant might be a good fit for the Hawks with Doug gone. I don’t really see it, but it wouldn’t shock me either.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri May 10, 2019 7:35 pm
  • He's not going to be healthy for training camp. If he feels he's 95+% sometime in the winter I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks bring him back.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information