2019 WR Corp.,

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
2019 WR Corp.,
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:58 am
  • Current state of our WR corp., Hoping Angry Doug will come back and even angrier!

With Doug
    Split end - Slot - Flanker
    Metcalf - Angry - Lockett

If Doug retires:
    Split end - Slot - Flanker
    Metcalf - Lockett - Moore

Doug Baldwin (5'10", 192lbs)
    Tyler Lockett (5'10", 182 lbs)
    David Moore (6'; 215 lbs)
    DK Metcalf (6'3"; 229 lbs)

Amara Darboh (6'3", 215 lbs)
    Jaron Brown (6'3", 204 lbs)
    Malik Turner (6/2", 202 lbs)
    Caleb Scott (6'2", 203 lbs)
    Gary Jennings (6'1", 216 lbs)
    Keenan Reynolds (5'10", 191 lbs)

Sounded like if DOug could come back and Metcalf penned out, we could be quite OK?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Re: 2019 WR Corp.,
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 pm
  • I’m willing to bet Kearse will be coming back.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:04 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’m willing to bet Kearse will be coming back.

Not so sure, Moore, Darboh, Metcalf, Brown, Turner are all kind of in that position. If anything or if there is truth to the rumor surrounding Doug we need possession guys that have a tough streak.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:33 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I’m willing to bet Kearse will be coming back.

Not so sure, Moore, Darboh, Metcalf, Brown, Turner are all kind of in that position. If anything or if there is truth to the rumor surrounding Doug we need possession guys that have a tough streak.
    may be Gary Jennings could be that procession guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:42 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Oh I think he can be groomed to be, needs refinement on routes and finding gaps in coverage is what I am saying which is where some mentoring from a guy like Doug could be helpful.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:56 pm

I disagree after the WR's they drafted but it's time to say goodbye
    to Doug for this year anyway..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Oh I think he can be groomed to be, needs refinement on routes and finding gaps in coverage is what I am saying which is where some mentoring from a guy like Doug could be helpful.
    must have lots of WR after the draft, got to think he brass wasn’t impressed with what we had, that and Doug’s situation.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 pm
  • Moore better not take his spot for granted.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:16 pm
  • You forgot Ursua and Ferguson.

Reynolds and Ursua seem like the prime candidates to replace Doug. That is if you are looking for someone with short area quickness.

I think this draft reflects Schotts input. He wants to exploit RW's downfield accuracy and strength. The team has added a lot of downfield speed with Metcalf, Jennings, Ferguson and Homer. It sure looks like the team isn't expecting another down from Doug. All these guys can play in the slot and stretch the defense.

If these guys can consistently keep the defense on their heels then the Hawks should have one of the top offenses in the league. Play action every play please.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 pm
  • After the they traded back into this draft to take another WR, it became pretty clear Baldwin is retiring.

So with that I really like Jennings, and see him having the ability to pick up the offense really quickly. He will compete with
    David Moore for the 3rd Receiver spot. Metcalf will have the benefit of having a simplified role (go deep), so their isn't a lot of intricacies he has to pick up. They can have him focus on that while bringing him along slowly in other areas.

Metcalf has the X spot on lock, and has to really falter for them to consider not starting him this year.

Lockett
    Metcalf
    Jennings

Are your starters in the not too distant future.

Other guys might play in the early going while they let the rookies develop, but it won't be for long.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:14 pm
  • Rat wrote:Moore better not take his spot for granted.

He fell off towards the end of the year, and I'm guessing it's because he stopped getting separation. But a Moore who's threatened by rookies could be pushed to improve his route-running. If that happens, his catching skills will keep him on the roster.

I also wouldn't bet on Jaron Brown getting shoved out. He had five big touchdowns, and Carson owes at least two others to Brown's run blocking. The coaching staff might be higher on him than some fans.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:38 pm
  • Fade wrote:After the they traded back into this draft to take another WR, it became pretty clear Baldwin is retiring.

So with that I really like Jennings, and see him having the ability to pick up the offense really quickly. He will compete with
    David Moore for the 3rd Receiver spot. Metcalf will have the benefit of having a simplified role (go deep), so their isn't a lot of intricacies he has to pick up. They can have him focus on that while bringing him along slowly in other areas.

Metcalf has the X spot on lock, and has to really falter for them to consider not starting him this year.

Lockett
    Metcalf
    Jennings

Other guys might play in the early going while they let the rookies develop, but it won't be for long.

I agree that Lockett and Metcalf would be on lock, but not at all sure about Jennings. It would be nice though, we have three guys with speed, and two with great size.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 pm
  • If Doug retires, the only starter is Lockett.

To say Metcalf should start because he was drafted in the 2nd RD is like saying Penny should have started over Carson because he was drafted in the 1st Rd.

Clearly, Pete doesn’t give a shit where they were drafted or how they acquired a player.

He cut Tom Johnson to keep a promising young player. He started Poona Ford over a vet because he outplayed him. He cut Brandon Marshall and let David Moore play....

Let’s see what these guys do in OTAs, TC, Preseason because, IMO, this is wide open.

always compete!
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36 pm
  • A lot of straight line receivers. The WR room is packed. And Dissly returning. Russ must be pumped.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 pm
  • At this moment, including draftees and UDFA, how many WRs do we have?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:38 am
  • I believe John Ursua will be replacing Doug if Doug is retiring. Ursua might be small but he plays quick and runs good routes. He also catches everything around him. This is going to be an exciting season.
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 am
  • BubbaGump wrote:I believe John Ursua will be replacing Doug if Doug is retiring. Ursua might be small but he plays quick and runs good routes. He also catches everything around him. This is going to be an exciting season.

Both Ursua and Lockett can be our next slot, with Metcalf and Jenning in 3 WR set.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am
  • With the 2019 Seattle Seahawks I think we'll see a balanced offense that is capable of running over teams as well as going up top and dropping a six pack on them with the passing game. Look for Jennings to be come that go to guy and (Mom) monster of misssissippi D.K. Metcalf to start off this year in decoy and blocking role, torching those who fall a sleep on him. Add Lockette and a heaping helping from Carson and our offense will be just fine.
    Cheers :179422:
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:49 pm
  • The fact that we drafted and signed so many WRs basically pointing to lack of confidence in carry over WRs, excluding Lockett of course.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:57 pm
  • truehawksfan wrote:If Doug retires, the only starter is Lockett.

To say Metcalf should start because he was drafted in the 2nd RD is like saying Penny should have started over Carson because he was drafted in the 1st Rd.

Clearly, Pete doesn’t give a shit where they were drafted or how they acquired a player.

He cut Tom Johnson to keep a promising young player. He started Poona Ford over a vet because he outplayed him. He cut Brandon Marshall and let David Moore play....

Let’s see what these guys do in OTAs, TC, Preseason because, IMO, this is wide open.

always compete!

Agree. Metcalf had only 67 career catches at a school that asked him to run 4 routes. Seahawks offense is not that simple to just plug and play. He has huge upside and will contribute throughout the year, but he has a LOT to learn before he can be called a starter.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:24 pm
  • sounds like terelle pryor is also in town.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:42 pm
  • Fade wrote:After the they traded back into this draft to take another WR, it became pretty clear Baldwin is retiring.

Lockett
    Metcalf
    Jennings

Great post! He clearly was drafted to replace Balwin, and anyone who would deny that ain't operating with too bright a bulp.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:39 pm
  • Slot guy does a lot of Blocking Lockett as a Flanker is not asked to do as much, why the bigger bodies there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:45 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Slot guy does a lot of Blocking Lockett as a Flanker is not asked to do as much, why the bigger bodies there.

I saw on Twitter that when Doug was out last year, Lockett lined up in the slot something like 60% of the time.

So it's more than just who can block, it's more about who knows how to run precise routes and read what the defense is doing, and be in the right position in the run and pass game.

That's usually not a rookie, it can take them years to understand the nuances of playcalling, route running and understanding defensive concepts. If these new guys are going to have an impact in year #1, it's going to be outside where they just have to make one move and run their seam, deep crosses and go routes.

So yeah, it makes sense if Lockett moves inside if Doug retires, at least most of the time. Russell trusts him implicitly to be where he's suppose to be.

Probably also why it's not a coincidence that we drafted two big bodied burners in Jennings and Metcalf. Get em outside and let them do their thing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:55 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Slot guy does a lot of Blocking Lockett as a Flanker is not asked to do as much, why the bigger bodies there.

Then why did Lockett line up in the slot over 50% of the time when Doug was out.

Trust, route running, twitchy speed to separate in tight spaces..........you almost always want your bigger bodied receivers outside so they can use their length.

Not that it'll always be this way. Pete and Schotty want versatility, but like I said it's rare for a rookie to come in and be your every down slot receiver. It's a much more complicated position then lining up outside.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:44 pm
  • How long did angry Doug took to take over the slot spot? He did become one of the very best slot receiver, but how long as the learning process?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 pm
  • toffee wrote:How long did angry Doug took to take over the slot spot? He did become one of the very best slot receiver, but how long as the learning process?

Signed as UDFA in 2011.

Caught 51 balls for 788 yards in 2011. Looks like he caught on pretty quickly. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?ei=pOjIXI ... 0fwNFtVn9k
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:18 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:sounds like terelle pryor is also in town.

This guy’s name just doesn’t go away. Every year he is linked to the Seahawks. Unbelievable. Even without Doug, this guy has like a 1% chance of making the final 53.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:25 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    toffee wrote:How long did angry Doug took to take over the slot spot? He did become one of the very best slot receiver, but how long as the learning process?

Signed as UDFA in 2011.

Caught 51 balls for 788 yards in 2011. Looks like he caught on pretty quickly. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?ei=pOjIXI ... 0fwNFtVn9k

Did he started as slot? regardless of x y or z, any 788 yard rookie is great found, a 788 yards UDFA was awesome.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:More clarification on the WR positions, I think we are on the same page but looking at different formation type as well as alighments.

This is a pretty good read to clarify from a while back.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/17/3165517/breaking-down-the-x-z-and-slot-receiver

Good read, thanks dude.

Did Lockett lined up in all three positions over the last season? Lockett must be quite remarkable that he could, or did he only lined up A and as slot when Doug was out?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Anyways, here's my projection:

Lockett
    Brown
    Moore
    Metcalf
    Jennings
    Ursua
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I also wouldn't bet on Jaron Brown getting shoved out. He had five big touchdowns, and Carson owes at least two others to Brown's run blocking. The coaching staff might be higher on him than some fans.

Devil's advocate here is that WR was clearly a huge priority for them after the news about Doug, yet we know they really like Lockett. I don't think their opinion can be very high on the other receivers left.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:48 pm
  • Baldwin was MIA for much of last season, played hurt for the remaining balance of games, and Seattle still finished strong into a playoff spot.

The team is deeper and tougher at multiple positions including wide receiver. There are several players at various positions on the brink of emerging as meaningful contributors and entering their 2nd or 3rd years which are commonly breakout seasons. This includes edge rushers that only need the opportunity for more snaps with Clark gone (Very hopeful about Martin and Green). One only needs to look at the meteoric rise of Jaren Reed to realize that some of these other youngsters might blossom as well.

I think the wide receiver position is a microcosm of the entire team. Ascending and getting younger.
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:30 am
  • Not that it isnt clear they didnt want him back but Kearse just signed with the Lions who continue to be Seattle-East
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:Not that it isnt clear they didnt want him back but Kearse just signed with the Lions who continue to be Seattle-East

I thought they were becoming NE-North. ;)
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:37 am
  • Gary Jennings hamstring is costing him precious time thus far in the OTAs. Hopefully he'll get onto the field during the mandatory mini-camp starting next week.

And from what I'm reading is Jaron Brown is having a fantastic spring after putting on more muscle. Reportedly he's up to 220 now and looking faster as well.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:05 pm
  • Next year's WR Corp is going to be just fine. You know your top 3 going in are Lockett, Moore and Brown. After that, Metcalf, Jennings, and Darboh will make thing really, really interesting. Then Reynolds, Ferguson, Ursua, Wright, and Turner are trying to win jobs from others.

It's gonna be fun to watch.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm
  • Looking forward to seeing this year's posting of roster weights. Some players are shedding bad weight while others are adding good weight.

For example wide receiver Jeron Brown is still listed at 204 at seahawks.com even though he is now reportedly at 220 lbs. Bigger, stronger faster. http://sports.mynorthwest.com/654843/seahawks-jaron-brown-interview-clayton/
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:10 pm
  • truehawksfan wrote:If Doug retires, the only starter is Lockett.

always compete!

AND, Doug Baldwin wasn't even drafted...Penny isn't really a good comparison, as Carson, like Wilson, earned their STARTERS jobs, No One is going to outperform Lockett, so whomever get's the nod, it will be because they outshine whomever is in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th place.
    I like he hell out of the DK, Jennings & Ursua vibes, but there are others who might be hungry enough to push their competition out of the starting lineup.
    This much competition is GOOD for the Seahawks, not so much for the ones who ain't ready to give it their all.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 pm
  • Jville wrote:Looking forward to seeing this year's posting of roster weights. Some players are shedding bad weight while others are adding good weight.

For example wide receiver Jeron Brown is still listed at 204 at seahawks.com even though he is now reportedly at 220 lbs. Bigger, stronger faster. http://sports.mynorthwest.com/654843/seahawks-jaron-brown-interview-clayton/

This is outstanding. If he still runs a near that 4.40 then he might really break out.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 am
  • I hope that Jennings and especially Ursua make the team. I have a feeling that Ursua will be a big surprise to many ; much like how Baldwin came out of nowhere and became one of the best ballers the Hawks ever had. GO HAWKS
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:22 am
  • I think we all are very interested as to which guys the team will keep and how capable the WR group will be this season. Many of us never truly appreciated just how good Baldwin was and how well he worked with RW until last season. He truly will be missed but life moves on and I am genuinely interested in this part of the team and how they will play and who will take a big step forward.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 am
  • Metcalf hopefully lives up to the hype . I actually don't like too much hype ; because we all get fooled into thinking that a particular player will be awesome and if he isn't then we're bummed out . I think that Brown took notice at the draft and knows he might be challenged for his spot . He could be good if given more opportunities . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:I think we all are very interested as to which guys the team will keep and how capable the WR group will be this season. Many of us never truly appreciated just how good Baldwin was and how well he worked with RW until last season. He truly will be missed but life moves on and I am genuinely interested in this part of the team and how they will play and who will take a big step forward.

Doug was productive even as a rookie in 2011, he was one of the rare WRs that didn't need a year or two to learn. In 2011, as a rookie, he caught 60% of passes threw to him for 788 yards and 4 TDs. In fact, Doug only thanked and praised one QB in his post retirement twits, that was his rookie year QB Tarvaris Jackson.

We got to hope one of our current rookies got some Angry in them and could contribute in year one. Of the three draftees, got to hope at least one of them could contribute like Angry's rookie year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ldDo00.htm
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:49 am
  • toffee wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:I think we all are very interested as to which guys the team will keep and how capable the WR group will be this season. Many of us never truly appreciated just how good Baldwin was and how well he worked with RW until last season. He truly will be missed but life moves on and I am genuinely interested in this part of the team and how they will play and who will take a big step forward.

Doug was productive even as a rookie in 2011, he was one of the rare WRs that didn't need a year or two to learn. In 2011, as a rookie, he caught 60% of passes threw to him for 788 yards and 4 TDs. In fact, Doug only thanked and praised one QB in his post retirement twits, that was his rookie year QB Tarvaris Jackson.

We got to hope one of our current rookies got some Angry in them and could contribute in year one. Of the three draftees, got to hope at least one of them could contribute like Angry's rookie year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ldDo00.htm

yup...I think this rookie WR myth is simply same thing as QB myth used to be. Rookies cant play and need to be 'nurtured'. Or simply just give them touches instead? Baldwin even regressed in terms of stats following his rookie season, and he wasn't injured iirc. Just let them play man
    quadsas
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Baldwin flashed early in pre season, I liked him right away, Kearly thought he was a cut, he stuck and contributed special teams and when he got a chance on the field almost every opportunity. He then went on to reach out to Steve Largent and pick his brain and learn his secrets, then he went one step further and started practicing the Hand fighting drills with the defensive unit. Something nobody had seen done before at least here anyway.

He was always getting and making himself better.

Throw in his Mentality and we had piece of coal that hardened itself to a Diamond before our eyes.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

2019 WR Corp.,
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:49 pm
  • Of the three rookies, Ursua might have the most ‘rightaway’ probability, dude is highly skilled and not just get by on his superior gift, one could even be mean and call his gift “so so”, guy like that trend to spent more time on research for solutions and more open to learning and adjusting. Our Angry fitted that description, so does Ursua. In fact Ursua’s 3-Cone Drill – 6.77 seconds and 20-Yard Shuttle – 4.16 second were Angry-ish.

Ursua is also older, which may limit his ceiling but he is more matured and understand the urgency.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:32 pm
  • For some reason Gary Jennings reminds me of 2011-2012 Ben Obomanu
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]