Do we need Ziggy Ansah now?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Do we need Ziggy Ansah now?
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 am
  • I joked a few times last night that the biggest winner from the Seahawks' first night was Ziggy Ansah's agent. There is now a situation where a potential contending team might badly need more pass rush, and while Ziggy's recent injury history makes him a risk, he is by far the best short-term option left, and I'm wondering if this is now a move we NEED to make.

There is varying opinions on this board about how close we are to a championship team, but there at least seems to be consensus that it's a playoff team with the potential for more depending on how a few guys develop. Having at least a respectable pass rush is a requirement now, and I worry that the current group will be a detriment, at least in the upcoming season.

Obviously our team doctors would have to sign off on it though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Re: Do we need Ziggy Ansah now?
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 am
  • I'm sure they won't rule out a FA acquisition or two going forward. Last I heard, there is plenty of room on the 90 man roster, and with Clark's money freed up, they'll have some money to negotiate with.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 am
  • Ziggy and Suh would be realistic options at this point I think, assuming they don't want crazy money. There is potential on the DL but it's definitely a concern pass rush might struggle.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 am
  • A former 2013 1st round pick? Pete collects those.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am
  • Keep in mind that Ansah was not cut, so he would count against any potential compensatory draft picks.

I think he'd cost way too much though. Can't afford him.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 am
  • Not that he's a comparable talent, but Nick Perry is the free agent edge rusher the Hawks have actually had in for a visit.
    enamel
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 am
  • Jeremy517 wrote:Keep in mind that Ansah was not cut, so he would count against any potential compensatory draft picks.

After May 8th, there would no longer be any effect on compensatory picks
    warden
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 am
  • Well we have to sign at least one of the remaining D-lineman still out there.

Suh
    Ansah
    Wilkerson
    Jordan

Throw in Urban and Bailey.

Even if we draft another 1-2 D-lineman, we need a vet or two on a now very young D-line for depth.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Well we have to sign at least one of the remaining D-lineman still out there.

Suh
    Ansah
    Wilkerson
    Jordan

Even if we draft another 1-2 D-lineman, we need a vet or two on a now very young D-line for depth.

1-2 D-lineman you said? How about Suh and Ansah for a one year rental?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am
  • Seattle is going to be in very good shape for the upcoming post June 1 UFAs.

Standing at 9m in cap space, once the Clark trade irons out -- that'll put us at 26m. Add the additional 4.8m when we cut Chancellor and we'll be at around 30m That'll put us in the top 7 teams in the league in that respect.

We may not get Ansah. But we'll be able to fill some holes. And if we're extra disciplined, we'll be able to add a host of good one year rentals that come available as cap casualties as training camp progresses.

Good rentals often factor into the comp pick formula. Even if they don't net a lot -- they add to the cancellation formula. So we're not signing the likes of Shamar Stephen and cancelling out Jimmy Graham's 4th round comp.

Needs can (probably should) be filled this way. Veterans that can still play, even if not at a high level. But probably at a better level than a raw rookie prospect in R3 through R7 would in their first season.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:11 am
  • Jeremy517 wrote:Keep in mind that Ansah was not cut, so he would count against any potential compensatory draft picks.

Like Jeremy alluded to, we have to wait until May 7th.

I heard that Ansah is asking for 10 - 11 Million which is WAYYY too much.

I expect Pete and John to wait until training camp or later, when these guys are desperate, and about the time they start thinking about "Joining a Contender."
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am
  • toffee wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Well we have to sign at least one of the remaining D-lineman still out there.

Suh
    Ansah
    Wilkerson
    Jordan

1-2 D-lineman you said? How about Suh and Ansah for a one year rental?

Too expensive for both. There are going to be a LOT of teams that need D-line help and depth after May 7th when the compensatory pick rule drops off. Which means their price will be driven up.

But I definitely think we'll add one of these players. I'd give Ansah or Suh a two year deal if the price is right, that might sweeten the pot to get one of them, rather than a one year deal.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 am
  • Important Dates

MAY 7th

The “May 7th Tender” date. This date, which was moved forward from June 1st a couple of years ago, is essentially the last date that the signing or losing of a free agent will count toward the Compensatory Draft pick calculation. The May 7th Tender – which rarely happens – is a way a team can potentially obtain exclusive negotiating rights with a player later in the summer. It also provides extended Comp pick eligibility if the player is tendered a contract of at least 110% of his prior year’s compensation by May 7th. Otherwise, if the player is not given the May 7th Tender, he no longer counts toward the Comp pick formula and the team cannot gain any special negotiating advantage later in the off season. As a practical matter, very few free agents who remain unsigned by May 7th are worth such a tender.

JUNE 1st

This is the last day that teams can release a player and have all of the dead money from that release count against the present year’s Salary Cap. If released after June 1st, only the present year’s bonus prorations count against the Cap in that year and all future bonus prorations would count against the following year’s Cap.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/02 ... nfl-dates/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:29 pm
  • I hope we bring in Wilkerson to try out for the 5T end position opposite the Leo. Then bring in Perry to push competition at Leo. Those are the two I'd bring in to compete with the youth on the ends.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:32 pm
  • If his shoulder gets right then he'd be a nice mid May or later pickup.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:00 pm
  • According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

If this draft is as good on the field as it looks on paper; the Clark trade may have provided us with the tools to build our most talented team since 2014.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm
  • knownone wrote:According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

If this draft is as good on the field as it looks on paper; the Clark trade may have provided us with the tools to build our most talented team since 2014.

Somehow I think Pete and John factored in Doug's retirement, the very thought of having Suh, Ansah and Perry fascinates me. hello, QBs in NFC west.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 pm
  • I have a feeling Pete & John didn't draft more D-linemen because their plan all along has been to add more in FA.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:39 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    knownone wrote:According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

Somehow I think Pete and John factored in Doug's retirement, the very thought of having Suh, Ansah and Perry fascinates me. hello, QBs in NFC west.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed. This explains the rash of WR draftees. Makes perfect sense.
    Kam getting cut: Do you think he stays on the team coaching/mentoring somehow? He will never be able play again but last season he was on the sideline inspiring the players. That presence is huge. There is no reason the team cannot pay him a consulting fee if he is not a player anymore. Just a thought.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:57 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    knownone wrote:According to Chad Forbes we are going to pursue both Ansah and Perry. In theory you could sign both for less than what Clark would have got from the Franchise tag. For those wondering, if Doug retires you could also fit Suh in and still have room to pay down on a potential Bobby extension.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed. This explains the rash of WR draftees. Makes perfect sense.
    Kam getting cut: Do you think he stays on the team coaching/mentoring somehow? He will never be able play again but last season he was on the sideline inspiring the players. That presence is huge. There is no reason the team cannot pay him a consulting fee if he is not a player anymore. Just a thought.

Kam has said he is not sure about wanting to, he would be good but he has had some Radio stuff going also. Same for Baldwin, but I think Baldwin would do a lot of Social Activist stuff.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 am
  • There's a rumor that Clowney is on the trading block. If we could somehow swing that without mortgaging the future it would instantly transform the D-Line.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 am
  • What kind of deal do you think Ziggy is gonna get? 1 year 13-14 million sounds about right to me.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:30 am
  • Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

I still think investigating what Houston wants for Clowney to be the best option after all we have 11 draft picks next year. Texans tagged him, and he's not happy about that.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:17 am
  • The little time I have spent on this when Chase didn't make it to 92 and was taken at 77 ... I have been looking for a udfa signing that could pull a Doug Baldwin at LEO.

The LB from the Citadel is a athletic freak and I guess has a knack for rushing the passer but he is a linebacker and not a defensive lineman.. maybe on third and long. There are more ways to skin a cat and I am happy Pete and John are the ones actually doing it while I just speculate.

With that said ... Ziggy was a top 100 NFL player at I think 43 overall .. he is 30 and it would make me smile if we could get him in here on a one year prove it deal .. at like a pretty big contract since we have the money .. I wouldn't want to save money by making the contract longer because I like the idea of talking him into, he could make more money by doing a Revis .. year to year model.

I don't have the information or expertise .. that Pete and John have .. maybe they like a guy that will be cut in June or .. can trade some of there 2020 draft capitol for a younger player that they really like and feel they can unlock like Chris Clemons but yah the Ansah dude from my myopic view on a one year prove it since he has the shoulder would make me happy for sure.
    JPC4Days
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:I have a feeling Pete & John didn't draft more D-linemen because their plan all along has been to add more in FA.

Bingo. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Also, Pete said after the draft that they’re not done and we’ll be “excited.” No doubt they have their eye on a few of the names already mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:12 am
  • James in PA wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:I have a feeling Pete & John didn't draft more D-linemen because their plan all along has been to add more in FA.

Bingo. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Also, Pete said after the draft that they’re not done and we’ll be “excited.” No doubt they have their eye on a few of the names already mentioned in this thread.

P&J also said they had hoped that more DL talent would drop to us, but that they flew off the board too fast. Runs on positions happen in the draft all the time. Sounds like we fell victim to that this year.

But it does sound like they have a backup plan of sorts, and with letting Clark go they'll have a little scratch to pay for somebody.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:19 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

I still think investigating what Houston wants for Clowney to be the best option after all we have 11 draft picks next year. Texans tagged him, and he's not happy about that.

Clowney's an interesting player to look at. He's played well since his rash of injuries early in his career, and he's still only 26.

But I'd guess his price is high (at least a #1, and probably another high pick as well), plus then you're back in the Frank Clark situation where Clowney's going to want the same numbers as Lawrence and Clark got.

So if you weren't going to extend Clark, why would you give up the draft picks AND give Clowney the same contract as you just said no to Clark at?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

Clowney's an interesting player to look at. He's played well since his rash of injuries early in his career, and he's still only 26.

But I'd guess his price is high (at least a #1, and probably another high pick as well), plus then you're back in the Frank Clark situation where Clowney's going to want the same numbers as Lawrence and Clark got.

So if you weren't going to extend Clark, why would you give up the draft picks AND give Clowney the same contract as you just said no to Clark at?

This. :ditto: I think our recent history of trading away 1st rd picks would preclude such thoughts anyway.

I know some folks think we waste 1st rd picks by trading down every year, but it seems like that is such an important part of John's draft strategy that he would avoid doing it again. ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:02 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Why would the Seahawks take a chance on a player that just had surgery?....If they hire someone and pay that kind of money, health issues need to be considered.

Clowney in gonna be in the same price range at Clark was, doesnt make sense to trade for him and then pay him when we just had a more durable version of him thats better at getting to the quarterback.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:39 pm
  • They'd have to drive a really hard bargain to get an R1 pick.

Productivity and injury history doesn't merit it. Couple with lack of club control and price tag. Clowney is no Frank Clark.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:They'd have to drive a really hard bargain to get an R1 pick.

Productivity and injury history doesn't merit it. Couple with lack of club control and price tag. Clowney is no Frank Clark.

Still no thanks. I don't want to tie up even 15-20M per year into Clowney. I'd rather give Ansah or Suh a 1-2 year deal at half that cost, and continue to draft and develop our own guys.

btw, no one thought Clark and Lawrence were going to get 20M+, so IMO you're underestimating what Clowney would get on the open market, or what he's asking for in Houston's extension talks with him.

That's the very reason these rumors that Houston is now listening to trade offers for him are going on now.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:35 pm
  • Friggin idiot Jerry Jones screwed everything up when he gave Lawrence that ridiculous deal. Schneider himself said it. Now we have to go bargain hunting for veteran D line players. I hope Dallas goes 7-9. No playoffs, no high draft pick.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:37 pm
  • We won't find out what they're gonna do until May 8th, most likely.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:41 pm
  • If Dexter Fowlers getting 14 million a year, then Clowney is getting close to 20.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Friggin idiot Jerry Jones screwed everything up when he gave Lawrence that ridiculous deal. Schneider himself said it. Now we have to go bargain hunting for veteran D line players. I hope Dallas goes 7-9. No playoffs, no high draft pick.

Jerry not only got to keep Lawrence on his team, he also got Clark out of the NFC...…… probably worth it
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm
  • Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    Following Following @AdamSchefter
    More
    Lions’ DE Ziggy Ansah - who along with Ndamukong Suh are the most high-profile free agents that remain unsigned - is in Seattle today visiting the Seahawks, per source. The Seahawks could use another DE having traded Frank Clark to Kansas City.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:39 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    Following Following @AdamSchefter
    More
    Lions’ DE Ziggy Ansah - who along with Ndamukong Suh are the most high-profile free agents that remain unsigned - is in Seattle today visiting the Seahawks, per source. The Seahawks could use another DE having traded Frank Clark to Kansas City.

Makes sense. We are a week away from free agents not effecting compensatory picks. If he passes his physical, he'll probably be a Seahawk by next Tuesday.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm
  • Sign him. Lose comp picks if you have to. Our draft class next year is stocked anyway.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm
  • Fingers crossed that his shoulder is good. If so, dude was an absolute freak athlete amd even at 30 years old that will still show up.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 pm
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am
  • James in PA wrote:Friggin idiot Jerry Jones screwed everything up when he gave Lawrence that ridiculous deal. Schneider himself said it. Now we have to go bargain hunting for veteran D line players. I hope Dallas goes 7-9. No playoffs, no high draft pick.

JJ is a complete asshat for that contract which totally cost us Frank Clark. What a douche.
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:11 am

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:17 am
  • April 24, 2019 Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... er-return/

LOL! Did a search for ZIggy Ansah and got this:

Ansah Sold Direct - eBay | Fantastic prices on Ansah!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:23 am
  • ivotuk wrote:April 24, 2019 Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Good news, but this feels like another TJ Lang experience where Ansah's going to be the most coveted free agent out there, so someone's going to pay stupid money like the Lions did for Lang, and price us out of the market.

Seems to happen every season. So I'm not getting my hopes up.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 pm
  • He had a torn labrum. I had that same injury. Of course when I had it I was 50 and my recovery time would be nowhere near a young guy like Ansah, however, it takes a lot of rehab and confidence to get back in the gym.

Mine is fine now years later, but this is an injury that can't be pushed.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:April 24, 2019 Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Good news, but this feels like another TJ Lang experience where Ansah's going to be the most coveted free agent out there, so someone's going to pay stupid money like the Lions did for Lang, and price us out of the market.

We have a lot of cap $$ for this time of year. I think we have a great shot.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:April 24, 2019 Ansah (shoulder) drew positive reviews from a shoulder specialist Monday and expects to be fully cleared by mid-August, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

We have a lot of cap $$ for this time of year. I think we have a great shot.

And more than both of the teams that we're supposedly battling for his services (Baltimore and Buffalo). That's before cutting anyone or Doug retiring too.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 am
  • Wilson liked Huard's tweet

Seahawks are signing him after May 7th if he passes the physical.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 am
  • massari wrote:Wilson liked Huard's tweet

Seahawks are signing him after May 7th if he passes the physical.

Unless someone else takes the lump on a compensatory pick and gets him first.
    niveky
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information