Pick 29, 1st Round - LJ Collier, DE, Texas Christian

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Always fine with first round picks being spent on linemen. Get your skill guys and DB/LBs in the second and third rounds and your special teamers on day 3.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• His stats in college look better than Frank Clark's did :lol: .
    Hollandhawk
    NET Rookie

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:They could have gotten him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he’s not a bad player. I thought they reached on him.

Doubt that is a sure thing with as many defensive linemen taken off the board.

Yes. He might've been projected as a third, but there was a rush on the edge rushers.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• Volunteer mentor !
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Rob Staton loves him. That's all I need to know. ;)
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• toffee wrote: Volunteer mentor !

Damn, I love me some Cliff!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Rob Staton loves him. That's all I need to know. ;)

Same here, which sucks because I really want to like Collier.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Image With Collier and Poona, we shall be difficult to run on.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• John and pete presser is out and I feel better now about this selection. :D
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• Just me but I would have preferred they kept th 21st and took Montez Sweat then traded back with the 29th.
    u0087966
    NET Bench Warmer

• This pick is a meh/10. Kind of gives me the vibes of a Tim Ruskell pick. High character dude that isn't the best athlete, high floor, low ceiling sort of player. I don't think this guy is going to bust, but I think he's just going to be another guy. Think Tapp. Player that could do a little of everything, was an OKAY pass rusher, occasionally could pop off and disrupt.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• I don’t know about this one. I like his versatility but we could’ve had an impact genuine edge rusher in Sweat at 21 and end up with a poor man’s Red Bryant. Sweat was falling into their lap but John just stuck to the script.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Sweat is a lanky long strider with a thin lower half and doesn't dip low on the round like you'd want. Structural integrity isn't there. We've all seen that multiple times. Combine looks crazy, but fit in an under/over system doesn't work. He'll likely be moved to SLB in another system.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:

Collier's sack number wasn't impressive, but look his 54 total pressure sure was.

It's the pressure rates that Carroll & Company value and focus on. Carroll noted pressure rates of 16% for both Frank Clark and Jacob Martin and 18% for LJ Collier in 2018. (For a rotational line it is the rates that are important ..... not some cumulative total)

Pete Carroll: "He's going to play 5 Technique and move around. He's a lot like Michael Bennett."
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Said it in the draft thread, but 34 inch arms on a 6'2 280+ DL isn't normal. Couple that with the natural leverage and the center of gravity and the angle that he plays in, and I like this pick. It's very reminiscent of Bennett. Violent, heavy hands and plays it all the right way. This is a really good, versatile pickup.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:Said it in the draft thread, but 34 inch arms on a 6'2 280+ DL isn't normal. Couple that with the natural leverage and the center of gravity and the angle that he plays in, and I like this pick. It's very reminiscent of Bennett. Violent, heavy hands and plays it all the right way. This is a really good, versatile pickup.

Collier actually had a better combine than Bennett, if we would to draft Bennett in the first round, national media expert would have given us a "F-". I think we might need a speed dude to play opposite Collier, hoping Green could be that guy. A line of Collier, Reed, Poona, and Green could be serviceable. With Collier, Poona, Reed, and our Wagner, it would be hard to run on.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Poona comes out on 3rd. Best of the rest comes in on 3rd with a Collier or Green kick down. Best of the rest comes in outside on 3rd. Probably Martin, but could be others. Rotation wise, Jefferson and Marsh are there. Probably one more addition, if not a FA, and so long as everyone stays gap disciplined, it's a decent set and may the best depth win. Maybe even hit on a gem. This is good. Wagner and Reed contracts pending, of course.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• His pressure percentage was right there with Burns and Sweat 19.2 percent. He's more physical and better against the run than Burns or Sweat as well. I suggest you go read Rob Staton at Seahawksdraftblog.com to find out more. Get a top WR or Safety in round 2 and this is a solid draft so far.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I got bored and summed up Seahawks twitter tonight

Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• This will just add more fuel to Collier's fire.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I think you'll find that it's better to know nothing about football and use draft boards from the likes of Charlie Casserly to gauge true potential.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Shouldn't'a done it...
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• L.J. Collier, local Cowboys' prospect could become national treasure

Collier is a hard prospect to gauge when taking his combine performance into account, but a closer look at his game reveals a player that has solid upside.

He possess the necessary skills to succeed at the next level, but further refinement can turn him into a dominant defender during one on one match-ups at the line of scrimmage.

Standing at 6-foot-2, 283 pounds, Collier has good size for his position.

Collier’s physical traits in particular stand out, possessing a wingspan of 81 7/8 inches and an arm length of 34 inches. He knows how to use his length to great effect and his game film shows a player who often used his long arms to gain leverage against offensive tackles.

Throughout games he maintains excellent pad level and a low center of gravity, making him a hard player to knockdown.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... allas-day/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Pappy367 wrote:Gil Brandt who is a hall of fame scout had him ranked his 34 best player in draft. It was also reported the jets were very high in him and they pick early in the 2nd. Might have reached by like 5 picks and if that is the case is that really a reach? Alot of great 1st round rated guys will still be there at 37 so another need hopefully will get filled.

I rather have a player who fits the seahawks and plays great then have a stud who may be athletic but not fit what we do or need.

RANK -- 34 L.J. Collier -- Edge

School: TCU | Year: Senior (RS)

He has pass-rush ability, is athletic and possesses lots of upside. Collier has very strong hands with very good quickness and can convert speed to power. He plays the run OK, but will get better. Well-coached at TCU, he posted 4.91 speed at 283 pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Listen to The Godfather

When we look back at the 160 first-round picks from 2014 - 2018, we find that Brandt only missed on 31 of them, giving him an 81% success rate. Of the 31 he missed, 19 were selected between picks 25 and 32 -- the last quarter of the round.

In the top 15 picks, Brandt is incredibly accurate. 75% of the time, a player is selected within five picks of his board. Even if we change the criteria to within two picks, his accuracy is still an impressive 45%.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/1 ... iefs-draft
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• April 10, 2019 #TCU DE LJ Collier, quietly pushing for the first round, spent yesterday and today with the #Lions and then he heads to the #Eagles and then the #Seahawks facility, source said. He’s booked solid through the 17th of April.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 10, 2019

ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Thursday notes: L.J. Collier, pass rushers & Seattle’s future
    March 21st, 2019 | Written by Rob Staton

It’s pleasing that he could potentially be on Seattle’s radar. Based purely on the tape there’s some base-end/five-technique/inside/out quality to Collier. He’s not going to wow anyone with freaky athletic skills but as a book-end for Frank Clark and a player who can play any down, he has some value.

Admittedly though he’d go against some of Seattle’s previous trends. He has the length they like with 34 inch arms and a near 82-inch wingspan. That’s unusual for a player of his relatively modest height (6-2).

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/thursday-n ... les-future
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Love these quotes

TCU DE L.J. Collier has a simple mindset when he lines up: “I’m going to get in your face and kick your ass the whole game. It’s that simple, really.”

“I love that feeling cause I know offensive linemen don’t like to be hit in the mouth over and over,” Collier said. “I love to do that. I love the physicality of it. I love to be in your face the whole game. I’m not a player who is going to say much, but if you say something to me, I’m going to let you know it’s going to be all game.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/co ... rylink=cpy
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'm glad he tested better than Bennett since he's a 1st round pick and Bennett was undrafted.

Could have had Sweat and Harry if we would have stayed put.

Hope he's great.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• I LOVE this pick. Now get Winovich in the 2nd to really bolster the line/LB.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Would love to add Winovich, then a WR, CB, and another WR.

I don't think we got "our guy" with Collier but , we'll have to see how it pans out. Nothing's guaranteed but, you can't help but wonder if our target was Montez Sweat...

Gotta trust JS and Pete but the post draft conference had the feeling of "we did ok but may have miscalculated a bit".

Nature of the draft. Definitely impressed with the number of picks we've accumulated. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 of these upcoming picks get traded for higher positions next year but, doubt that will be the case as we typically trade down.

Just feels that for two years in a row now, our first round picks have been head scratchers. With that said, I'm still thinking that our 1-2 RB punch is going to be exciting. Penny coming in with the experience of last season, with the right shape and mentality....will be a beautiful thing to see.
    Elemas
    NET Rookie

• Elemas wrote:Would love to add Winovich, then a WR, CB, and another WR.

I don't think we got "our guy" with Collier but , we'll have to see how it pans out. Nothing's guaranteed but, you can't help but wonder if our target was Montez Sweat...

Gotta trust JS and Pete but the post draft conference had the feeling of "we did ok but may have miscalculated a bit".

Nature of the draft. Definitely impressed with the number of picks we've accumulated. I'm hoping that 1 or 2 of these upcoming picks get traded for higher positions next year but, doubt that will be the case as we typically trade down.

Just feels that for two years in a row now, our first round picks have been head scratchers. With that said, I'm still thinking that our 1-2 RB punch is going to be exciting. Penny coming in with the experience of last season, with the right shape and mentality....will be a beautiful thing to see.

I got that same feeling watching their press conference, but I don't buy it was because Sweat was their guy. If he was truly their guy, one they had targeted and had to have, they would have taken him at #21. At #21, it already felt like he dropped further than anyone expected.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:I don’t know about this one. I like his versatility but we could’ve had an impact genuine edge rusher in Sweat at 21 and end up with a poor man’s Red Bryant. Sweat was falling into their lap but John just stuck to the script.

They were hoping Sweat would still be around at 29, but when he went at 26, so Collier was their fall back pick.

As usual, John turns the draft into a day trader's version of Mr. Toad's wild ride.

Mid-round picks are wild cards, and all you have to do is look at our RECENT history of picks in the 4th round or below to see that we are no longer grabbing the Richard Shermans or Kam Chancellors of the world.

Once in a great while we'll pick a Chris Carson or Quiniton Jefferson, but these are the exceptions not the rules.

Someone called John an HOF GM??? Look at his history in the past few years. Me thinks not.
    Tusc2000
    NET Starter

• Anyone that has concerns about Collier need to go to Seahawksdraftblog.com . Rob has a breakdown of him there so does Brian Baldinger. His pressure percentage is basically the same as Burns and Sweat and he can play inside and on the edge. He's very physical and wiil be an upgrade over Clark against the run. Like I said if you want to know more go Seahawksdraftblog.com. Collier is a great pick and probably the best DE left on the board and could be a better overall player than Burns or Sweat 2 years from now.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote: Volunteer mentor !

I love Cliff Avril.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• toffee wrote:

Thanks for sharing...this was awesome. It looks like John/Pete are finding tough, football players and see past combine results
    Seahawkwalt1967
    NET Rookie

• It's fine to have your own opinions about prospects as a fan and that's where much of the entertainment in this process is. Some of the disappointment on this pick seems to be people looking for a Frank Clark replacement when Collier is a Bennett replacement instead. You should think about the Collier selection in that context.

Every year fans compare the public big boards they see published online for free from amateur hobbyists with those that their team spent a ton of money developing privately over the year with professional NFL scouts. A big part of that process involves keeping the information concealed from the public, and so everybody understands coming in that the public big boards are fun but not completely accurate when it comes to how teams actually rate the players.

Then the bizarre part of this process occurs. Fans temporarily forget how things work and use the public big boards to determine things like value and reach picks. They read day-0 draft grades which are a comparison of how well the team's big board fits the grader's own big board - and for some insanely egotistical reason the draftniks assign the grade for this to the team instead of to themselves.

"Player X would have lasted until pick Y" is the ultimate expression of this lunacy. It's crazy to base your opinion on a pick on that fact that your team had a different big board than a free online version you happen to be looking at. Zero people on this forum would actually want the Seahawks to fire their entire scouting department and just go with Mel Kiper's board instead every year.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkwalt1967 wrote:
    toffee wrote:

Thanks for sharing...this was awesome. It looks like John/Pete are finding tough, football players and see past combine results

I never had a problem with Collier at 29 I think he was probably the best DL left on the board. I was really hoping for Darnell Savage but Chauncey is really good to and they could also take a top WR now in the second round so the draft looks better to me today than it did last night. Plus they now have a third round pick and I think four 4rth round picks so it's hard to argue with what they did when you really break it down.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Last edited by mikeak on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Sounds more like a Red Bryant type player then a Bennett.

Is so, that’s not a bad thing. Red had a role and played it well.
    IMHO
    YMMV
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Sounds more like a Red Bryant type player then a Bennett.

IMHO
    YMMV

He's nothing like Red Bryant. Collier is a base 4-3 defensive end that can also play inside and rush off the edge. He's way more like Bennett than Red.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I an see the Bennett comparison in clips more than Clark. I don't think we will see Collier blow by tackles with his speed the way Clark could. But I can see him blowing up tackles vs the run or bull rushing them back into the QB the way I remember Bennett doing.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

IMHO
    YMMV

He's nothing like Red Bryant. Collier is a base 4-3 defensive end that can also play inside and rush off the edge. He's way more like Bennett than Red.

I agree with you.
    I was “just say’n”

:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• HawkRiderFan wrote:I an see the Bennett comparison in clips more than Clark. I don't think we will see Collier blow by tackles with his speed the way Clark could. But I can see him blowing up tackles vs the run or bull rushing them back into the QB the way I remember Bennett doing.

He can turn the corner bro but yes he's uses his hands and power more than speed to get home.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

IMHO
    YMMV

I agree with you.
    I was “just say’n”

:{)

It's all good man no worries.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Doesn't it seem like the speed rushing DE's are getting overhyped ?
    Seems like it happens every year lately, and over 1/2 of the high picks are never heard from again. Pure speed looks great on college tape and at the combine, but it takes more to excel at the next level.

Collier is a man. He looks like he could eat a couple "light in the pants" DE's for lunch. I'm guessing we're all more than happy with this pick in a couple years, if not sooner.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information