Pick 29, 1st Round - LJ Collier, DE, Texas Christian

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Good luck to him. Welcome aboard. Maybe a new legion of doom
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• I say Red Bryant because he is bull strong not as big, he will add weight I am betting though but he has a hell of a anchor point on the edge so he will not be moved and can also crash and decimate a blocking wedge.

Bonus is he can play inside outside like Bennett, doesn't have the first step that Bennett has or maybe it has yet to be developed, he is pretty Green as a player still.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Jazzhawk wrote:Is it just me or are there a ton of double posts on this thread?

Anyway, from what could have been at #21 & #29, to this. Seems like they became enamored with quantity over impact. Here's to hoping I'm wrong (again).

OK, ok, after soaking on this overnight, and doing my homework on Collier, and hearing that they look at Collier as a replacement of Bennett not of Clark, I'm feeling much better about him and the pick overall. Not that it means anything to anyone but me, but there you go.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

• austinslater25 wrote:I'm not super excited although I do think he will be solid. That video of him and his family celebrating I could listen to all day though, what a cool moment.

That was AWESOME to see, the energy in that room. I'm translating it as it wasn't just that he got picked, it was that he was going to the SEAHAWKS and LJ had talked to his family and friends about who he hoped picked him and everyone knew he was going to a place he wanted to to to and was excited for him. This is a guy with a support system, with a lot of reasons.

To me, it felt like the anti-McDowell, here is a guy who will be smart and come in focused on football and work his ass off and buy in and do his job and be part of a great D.

How about this for a comp: Forget Clark, even forget Bennett. How about *Jacob Green* as a comp?
    I know the other old-timer Seahawk fans know and love Jacob Green. He wasn't the fastest, but he was fast enough to be our leading sack guy, and he was always giving 110% and pretty sure Green made All-Pro a couple seasons with us.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:I say Red Bryant because he is bull strong not as big, he will add weight I am betting though but he has a hell of a anchor point on the edge so he will not be moved and can also crash and decimate a blocking wedge.

Bonus is he can play inside outside like Bennett, doesn't have the first step that Bennett has or maybe it has yet to be developed, he is pretty Green as a player still.

Just curious, how did you conclude that Collier didn't have Bennett's first step?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I say Red Bryant because he is bull strong not as big, he will add weight I am betting though but he has a hell of a anchor point on the edge so he will not be moved and can also crash and decimate a blocking wedge.

Just curious, how did you conclude that Collier didn't have Bennett's first step?

All the scouts said he has a slow get off. Bennett however had a very explosive one.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I say Red Bryant because he is bull strong not as big, he will add weight I am betting though but he has a hell of a anchor point on the edge so he will not be moved and can also crash and decimate a blocking wedge.

All the scouts said he has a slow get off. Bennett however had a very explosive one.

Not hard to have an explosive first step if you step before the snap.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Bennett's advantage was film study. He put the hours in before the game. But sometimes he guessed wrong.he

The more i learn about LJ, the more i Love this guy.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk wrote:Bennett's advantage was film study. He put the hours in before the game. But sometimes he guessed wrong.he

The more i learn about LJ, the more i Love this guy.

LJ seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to spend a lot of effort to improve his game, not the type that rely solely on one's physical gift, not like he was a 4/5 star recruit coming out of high school, and had to fought two years into a starter at TCU. Guy like that won't take things for granted.

So hopeful that he will mature into a Bennett light.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Technique and coaching can help his get off, much like a track guy, he may stand up then move which makes him slower rather then exploding out of his stance forward or something, everything else is pretty damn good.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Bennett's 1st step was so impressive that he was drafted in rou...

...wait a minute...

...it was like, really good. Not a chance it developed after he left A&M.

My only real point; Collier is a MAN. Prepare to be impressed, sooner than later.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Can't wait to see what this guy does. And for once, would love to see a 1st round pick make people eat their words :)
    Hoping Penny still does the same.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• ivotuk wrote:https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-lj-collier-de-tcu

Sounds like he is going to be our potential starter over Jefferson at end instead of Clark's old position. I do like the pick but hope they find a new role for Jefferson. I thought he was really coming into his own with our team. 3tech perhaps?
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to see what this guy does. And for once, would love to see a 1st round pick make people eat their words :)

I suspect we could have a hint on Penny come training camp, if he again show up over weight ....
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to see what this guy does. And for once, would love to see a 1st round pick make people eat their words :)

I suspect we could have a hint on Penny come training camp, if he again show up over weight ....

Penny did fine for his rookie year - 419 yrds on 85 carries. http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3139925/rashaad-penny Not bad numbers for someone being reportedly overweight. If LJ produces at his position equally to what Penny did at his, he will have merited his draft position.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• I bring up a point earlier and I get a link to the Seahawks roster like that is what I was talking about or like I didn't know the roster existed. So I will refrain from putting in much thought into my posts here as I feel .. this environment is lacking.

Good arm length
    Big strong violent hands
    Power
    leverage
    Point of attack to set the edge
    Pass rush savvy
    Bend
    Work ethic

A strong dude with an elite motor who can set the edge and who has upside as a pass rusher since his College coach ask him to leave some sacks on the table for the team...gives the other inside 3rd down rushers and 5 techs .. like Green competition ... yah give me that.

Collier, Reed, Poona

is the start of a young, stout, talented defensive line... LEO's can be tough to find. We had to give up the perfect Leo to add a lot more talent to our roster. Pete has found a way to fill the role in a variety of ways over the years From Clemons to Cliff .. to Frank etc... now let us see what else he has up his sleeve.
    JPC4Days
    NET Practice Squad

• So what is Collier's most natural position? 5-tech? 3-tech? or he could also handle 7/9?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• kf3339 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-lj-collier-de-tcu

Sounds like he is going to be our potential starter over Jefferson at end instead of Clark's old position. I do like the pick but hope they find a new role for Jefferson. I thought he was really coming into his own with our team. 3tech perhaps?

Jefferson and Collier will rotate the position likely. It's expecting a lot for a rookie DL to take over the starting position from day 1. Look for heavy rotation with Rasheem Green in the mix as well through the season.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-lj-collier-de-tcu

Jefferson and Collier will rotate the position likely. It's expecting a lot for a rookie DL to take over the starting position from day 1. Look for heavy rotation with Rasheem Green in the mix as well through the season.

The progress of Green will be on spotlight this season, if dude could perform at last preseason level, that would be a huge step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:So what is Collier's most natural position? 5-tech? 3-tech? or he could also handle 7/9?

5 tech, shifting inside on passing downs. Similar to Bennett, also very similar to the role Clark played originally when he was still pushing 275 lbs.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    toffee wrote:So what is Collier's most natural position? 5-tech? 3-tech? or he could also handle 7/9?

5 tech, shifting inside on passing downs. Similar to Bennett, also very similar to the role Clark played originally when he was still pushing 275 lbs.

Man, so hopeful that Collier would be the second coming of Bennett. Pete and John might saw enough to draft him in first round.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• I hate that we lost Clark just as he was beginning to maximize his potential. I hate how we develop guys to let them go. I hope LJ has great impact and is around for many years though.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• According to ProFootballFocus.com, Collier created more pressure more often than any other edge rusher in the Big XII when rushing the passer.

But he didn’t put up the huge sack numbers, so the experts (aka idiots) will tell you that he was a reach.

John and Pete know what they’re doing.

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information