Podcast on the Hawks / Niners NFC Championship game

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/182 ... watchables

As I was listening to this, I was remembering watching from my seat on the tip, the TD pass to Kearse etc. Other plays I hadn't thought about in a while like Kam hammering Vernon Davis. It's more from a neutral view so as Hawk fans we don't agree with everything they say.
I think you will enjoy some jokes made at the expense of Harbough's sideline and laughing at a truly horrible take by Pam Oliver.
I think it's worth a listen for all Hawk fans who enjoyed that day.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I remember seeing Pam Oliver look soooooo pathetic in the post game interview she did with Harbaugh. In all my years I have never seen a reporter, in any field, look the way she did. She looked so hurt and dejected for Harbaugh and the 49ers. She was genuinely crushed. It was Beautiful to see!!!!

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
BubbaGump":26jtkkxd said:
I remember seeing Pam Oliver look soooooo pathetic in the post game interview she did with Harbaugh. In all my years I have never seen a reporter, in any field, look the way she did. She looked so hurt and dejected for Harbaugh and the 49ers. She was genuinely crushed. It was Beautiful to see!!!!

lol, yeah I though she looked more distraught than Harbough at the end.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":cq9oorqt said:
BubbaGump":cq9oorqt said:

lol, yeah I though she looked more distraught than Harbough at the end.

Yeah Chewbacca was upset.
I think she wanted a hug from John.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Seattle & SF had a really entertaining rivalry back in the Carroll/Harbaugh era. In my unbiased opinion, I think it was weird that they gave Harbaugh the boot after one mediocre season, they payed for that decision. However, I don't miss Harbaugh persistently throwing tantrums on the field in his effort to get the refs to throw a flag.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This thread made me go back and find the original game to re-watch. Perfect fix for the off season

Maulbert

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":20ot8i1r said:
Seattle & SF had a really entertaining rivalry back in the Carroll/Harbaugh era. In my unbiased opinion, I think it was weird that they gave Harbaugh the boot after one mediocre season, they payed for that decision. However, I don't miss Harbaugh persistently throwing tantrums on the field in his effort to get the refs to throw a flag.

Di18g5lU4AAO8qS.jpg

94Smith

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3pa6l4rn said:
https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/18270741/sf-sea-nfc-championship-2013-a-special-sports-rewatchables
Other plays I hadn't thought about in a while like Kam hammering Vernon Davis. I

Pretty sure that hit was a regular season game because it took him out of the game

94Smith

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":1evibpie said:
Seattle & SF had a really entertaining rivalry back in the Carroll/Harbaugh era. In my unbiased opinion, I think it was weird that they gave Harbaugh the boot after one mediocre season, they payed for that decision. .

Harbaugh was let go because of disagreements with Jed York and Baalke, not because of performance

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
94Smith":1ovmb0wc said:
HawkRiderFan":1ovmb0wc said:
https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/18/18270741/sf-sea-nfc-championship-2013-a-special-sports-rewatchables
Other plays I hadn't thought about in a while like Kam hammering Vernon Davis. I

Pretty sure that hit was a regular season game because it took him out of the game

No I know the one you were referring to in the Sunday Night game. Chancellor had a couple of big hits on Davis in this game too

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2lzontfm said:
94Smith":2lzontfm said:
HawkRiderFan":2lzontfm said:

No I know the one you were referring to in the Sunday Night game. Chancellor had a couple of big hits on Davis in this game too

I was at that game. December 23, 2012. It was 21-0 before the 49ers got on the board, and 42-6 before they got a meaningless TD with less than 2 minutes left. A beautiful and treasured memory. :179417:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
94Smith":2f4ok6cj said:
12AngryHawks":2f4ok6cj said:
Seattle & SF had a really entertaining rivalry back in the Carroll/Harbaugh era. In my unbiased opinion, I think it was weird that they gave Harbaugh the boot after one mediocre season, they payed for that decision. .

Harbaugh was let go because of disagreements with Jed York and Baalke, not because of performance

This. As I recall the first Wickersham deep dive on internal team dynamics was on the Harbaugh 49ers, and even if you're not a 9ers fan it is a HELL OF A READ: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1162 ... difficulty

And in all honesty, with the benefit of hindsight, I think keeping Harbaugh would have just delayed the inevitable top to bottom rebuild a few more years.

In about 18 months that team lost two all pro ILBs to retirement and injury (Bowman and Willis), an all pro pass rusher to career ending stupidity (Aldon), two pro-bowl safeties to cap issues (Whitner and Goldson), and virtually all of their above average starters. Jim Harbaugh wouldn't have been able to change any of that, and the team would have sucked regardless.

The Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly seasons were total gas leak years, but I think they kind of had to happen: Jed York needed to experience failure on that level potentially to grow out of being the intemperate brat that he was (signs that he has: he gave Shanahan and Lynch both six year deals and you don't really see him around much anymore).

NONE OF THIS means that Shanahan and Lynch are the answers (far from it), but they at least, for the first time in a long time, have some of the ingredients that a team needs to have a chance to be successful (e.g. a coach and GM who work together, don't pit people against a each other, and don't get in power struggles; an owner who has learned to keep his face out of the media and more generally stay out of it, etc).

Another few years of Harbaugh would have just prolonged the inevitable, IMO.

EDIT: The thread topic! :lol: Listened to this a few days ago and even as a fan of the team on the losing side I thought it was really good.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1dyv90pj said:
94Smith":1dyv90pj said:
12AngryHawks":1dyv90pj said:

This. As I recall the first Wickersham deep dive on internal team dynamics was on the Harbaugh 49ers, and even if you're not a 9ers fan it is a HELL OF A READ: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1162 ... difficulty

And in all honesty, with the benefit of hindsight, I think keeping Harbaugh would have just delayed the inevitable top to bottom rebuild a few more years.

In about 18 months that team lost two all pro ILBs to retirement and injury (Bowman and Willis), an all pro pass rusher to career ending stupidity (Aldon), two pro-bowl safeties to cap issues (Whitner and Goldson), and virtually all of their above average starters. Jim Harbaugh wouldn't have been able to change any of that, and the team would have sucked regardless.

The Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly seasons were total gas leak years, but I think they kind of had to happen: Jed York needed to experience failure on that level potentially to grow out of being the intemperate brat that he was (signs that he has: he gave Shanahan and Lynch both six year deals and you don't really see him around much anymore).

NONE OF THIS means that Shanahan and Lynch are the answers (far from it), but they at least, for the first time in a long time, have some of the ingredients that a team needs to have a chance to be successful (e.g. a coach and GM who work together, don't pit people against a each other, and don't get in power struggles; an owner who has learned to keep his face out of the media and more generally stay out of it, etc).

Another few years of Harbaugh would have just prolonged the inevitable, IMO.

EDIT: The thread topic! :lol: Listened to this a few days ago and even as a fan of the team on the losing side I thought it was really good.

I think it's funny, considering how much you Niner fans hate Tim Kawakami, when the relationship between Harbaugh/Baalke/York was self-destructing, only Kawakami was calling it as he saw it, and had the right of how deteriorated it actually was. So many of you just crapped all over him at the time, but he was right all along.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":3p2etiy6 said:
I think it's funny, considering how much you Niner fans hate Tim Kawakami, when the relationship between Harbaugh/Baalke/York was self-destructing, only Kawakami was calling it as he saw it, and had the right of how deteriorated it actually was. So many of you just crapped all over him at the time, but he was right all along.

Now that it's ancient history and doesn't matter anymore: not really.

It wasn't "only Kawakami calling it as he saw it", Kawakami's schtick is just to insist over and over again that Kawakami is the only guy who calls it as he sees it. That's been his schtick since I was a kid.

Kawakami is a columnist. He's not a reporter. He doesn't have sources. He doesn't cover any team consistently. Since I was a kid he has basically just been a provocateur. Think a local Skip Bayless type.

Since I can remember, his schtick has been to cheerlead for the best bay area team that generates the most clicks and insert himself into the middle of any dysfunction or decline for another bay area team that generates the most clicks.

His schtick is that off the backs of others reporting, he latches onto dysfunction and starts claiming that he has been saying it all along and knew about it along. If you actually read him it's entirely untrue, but it's definitely buzzy.

Then he usually goes to a media session for that team (remember, he's not a reporter so he doesn't usually go to these) and tries to provoke a team official into snapping at him so that he can then insert himself into the middle of the story, and as the real hero who is the only one who knows and speaks the truth.

I've seen him do it with every Bay Area sports team over the years (I don't follow the Sharks enough to know but definitely the Warriors, A's, Giants, 49ers and Raiders -- he kind of first earned interest outside of the Bay Area by pulling this schtick and baiting a Raiders exec into punching him. :lol: )

This is why Warriors fans who have been around the block all still hate Kawakami even though he's been chearleading for the Warriors since the start of this dynasty -- they know that as soon as the dynasty starts to decline Kawakami is going to do what he always does and try to insert himself in the middle of it and claim that he was the only one who ever knew and predicted it.

That's 100% his schtick.