Kendricks re-Signed!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1105943920402419728[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
They must know something about his sentencing but may be a bit before more info is available??

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1upsxpls said:
Announced on 950 waiting for details. They must know something on his sentencing??

Not necessarily. They most likely gave him a contract contingent on his sentence. Of course it's not impossible that the prosecutor has agreed to ask for a lenient sentence as he was cooperative, but even with that, until a judge signs off, nothing is 100%.

With all that said, I did like his play last season and he's a solid guy to keep around, especially with Wright on the market

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Awesome news!

However, I guess that means KJ Wright won't be re-upped.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1105944996035813376[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Ya, I think KJ and his (knee?) injury spooked his chances as a long term solution.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Now go sign Zach Brown and we can have all the LB prospects we considered in 2012

AgentDib

Reaction score
KJ's injury history lowers his value to all 32 teams. Until we hear that another team has overpaid for him then I think the Hawks are very much still in the running to re-sign him, especially given that we appear to be caring about compensatory picks again.

ivotuk

Reaction score
THIS is the news I was waiting to hear! 4 million is chump change for Mychael, and we could still sign KJ.

Osprey

Reaction score
kidhawk":prmtxlsf said:
Seymour":prmtxlsf said:
Announced on 950 waiting for details. They must know something on his sentencing??

Not necessarily. They most likely gave him a contract contingent on his sentence. Of course it's not impossible that the prosecutor has agreed to ask for a lenient sentence as he was cooperative, but even with that, until a judge signs off, nothing is 100%.

With all that said, I did like his play last season and he's a solid guy to keep around, especially with Wright on the market

Would you even have to do that? If there are no guaranteed dollars couldn't you cut him anytime before Week 1 and be off the hook for the whole contract?

Osprey

Reaction score
Love the signing BTW. Here's hoping no legal jeopardy and clean healing from the leg break.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Osprey":2p2e9q6r said:
kidhawk":2p2e9q6r said:
Seymour":2p2e9q6r said:

Would you even have to do that? If there are no guaranteed dollars couldn't you cut him anytime before Week 1 and be off the hook for the whole contract?

That would be one way to do it, but that wouldn't necessarily be the best way. For example, what if he gets a sentence that puts him in Jail until say late august or early september? They could have a contract that merely states that it doesn't become valid until such a time as he is listed on the active roster.

There are a lot of little legal loopholes than can be worked out in the contract to work around an issue like this.

Another way (and the one I think is most likely) is that they agreed to a contract, but they won't sign it until after the sentencing. That way they could have a more straight up contract and just have the agreement in place until then.

I believe he is due to be sentenced in a matter of weeks (3 or 4), so that would put it before the draft and would be (IMO) the best route to take.

sutz

Reaction score
Osprey":1h4aazwq said:
kidhawk":1h4aazwq said:
Seymour":1h4aazwq said:

That's what I was thinking. Sign him to maintain control of him in case he can play, but if no guaranteed money, then all we'd owe him would be whatever per diem he's owed for if he makes OTAs and camp. He's basically done his NFL suspension, should be nothing more from the league, I would think.

I like it. He played well for us. Nice to see him around for another season, hopefully.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very smart move by the Hawks. I'm sure there are stipulations in there in case he does get sentenced etc.
But why not jump on it ahead of time? We are the team that gave him a shot, so we are gonna' get a highly motivated player who appreciates what the Hawks did for him. If he continues to play like we saw, we have a hell of a linebacker and maybe he gets an extension at the end of the year.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
If I recall, first time offenders for inside trading is up to 5 years of prison time.

That said, he showed remorse, repaid all his profits and fully cooperated with law enforcement. Best case senario: Probation and Community service, such as public speaking about the pitfalls of inside trading. I can see them justify this sentence, since he could add much value in community service work.

As for his contract, I have to assume the Hawks are protected, including a return of a signing bonus if he faces jail time.

King Dog

Reaction score
Love the signing. This is another situation where I think our FO could have done better. He may go to the pokey. His value is low. Get him on a cheaaapppp contingent two or three year deal. We know he's good.