Is Doug Baldwin done?

Seymour

Reaction score
Baldwin aint done. He's got 2 + good years easy IMO. That is if the surgeries were successful obviously.

chris98251

Reaction score
If they wanted to move him they would have last season when he was "healthy enough to play" knowing he needed surgery on the knee. He is the driving force on Offense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Not even close to being done. He’s the best receiver on the team who showed up and played hurt all last season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This was the last paragraph of the article:
"Carroll said Baldwin is expected to be ready to go for next season and his chances for stronger production would be helped if the operations make for smoother sailing in 2019."

sutz

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like the surgeries were major, else there would be more said about them IMO.

Doug is a warrior, he'll be back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not only do I think he's not done, I see a very good season for Doug. 80+ catches and at least 10 TD's

Tical21

Reaction score
He's safe this year, as cutting him costs 6 mil of dead money, but the injuries probably don't help him for 2020. Last season, we saw the Seahawks shuttle off a lot of veterans, many who had previously had injuries. Then, during the season, their remaining tenured guys, Baldwin, Earl and KJ all missed at least half the season, so you have to think the Seahawks are just about done holding onto older players at this point, sans Russ. They love Doug, but he's going to need a pretty strong season to remain here past it, which he'll probably do.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Nope. People don't really age out of good route running, hands, and preparation.

The comp here is Hines Ward, who didn't have a drop in his production until his age 35 season.

What happens with Baldwin when he's a FA in 2021 in his age 33 season will be interesting, but that's still a long ways off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1di9ac73 said:
Baldwin aint done. He's got 2 + good years easy IMO. That is if the surgeries were successful obviously.

Maybe. 30's just as bad for WR's as it is for RB's as far as when they start breaking down.

Doug needs a fully healthy productive season if he wants to sniff another extension here........which I think is possible, he certainly has the work ethic and desire to make it happen.

Tical21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3pjfyj8a said:
Nope. People don't really age out of good route running, hands, and preparation.

The comp here is Hines Ward, who didn't have a drop in his production until his age 35 season.

What happens with Baldwin when he's a FA in 2021 in his age 33 season will be interesting, but that's still a long ways off.
I'd agree, but injuries. IIRC, Hines was awfully healthy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":p07khra3 said:
Popeyejones":p07khra3 said:

Every position group has an outlier like Ward, or Steve Smith..........but the fact is like RB's, the big dropoff for WR's is 30-32.

I'd love Doug to get healthy, stay healthy and be productive as a Hawk until his mid 30's. But the statistics aren't in his favor.

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u2b9gf8h said:
Tical21":u2b9gf8h said:
Popeyejones":u2b9gf8h said:

Every position group has an outlier like Ward, or Steve Smith..........but the fact is like RB's, the big dropoff for WR's is 30-32.

I'd love Doug to get healthy, stay healthy and be productive as a Hawk until his mid 30's. But the statistics aren't in his favor.

All good points. I would only note that Doug Baldwin has been an outlier his entire NFL career. So ..... playing effectively into his mid 30s sounds viable to me. He has certainly been vital for the success of team mates and fans. More to come I would think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":1w6v6bzw said:
Sgt. Largent":1w6v6bzw said:
Tical21":1w6v6bzw said:
Popeyejones":1w6v6bzw said:

All good points. I would only note that Doug Baldwin has been an outlier his entire NFL career. So ..... playing effectively into his mid 30s sounds viable to me. He has certainly been vital for the success of team mates and fans. More to come I would think.

For sure, and I'd add that Doug now playing mostly in the slot will add to his longevity............as opposed to a wide out, or X receiver that is your deep threat and can't play with diminished speed and quickness.

chris98251

Reaction score
Doug as I have stated before worked with Largent and picked his brain a lot. Steve played a long ass time, Doug has that same sneaky game, he isn't about speed but making you look silly and getting open and of course catching everything he has a chance for. Those guys can play a long time.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Doug is done when he says he’s done.

Edited to remove unnecessary second sentence about forum wives.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3khndn8e said:
Seymour":3khndn8e said:

Maybe. 30's just as bad for WR's as it is for RB's as far as when they start breaking down.

Doug needs a fully healthy productive season if he wants to sniff another extension here........which I think is possible, he certainly has the work ethic and desire to make it happen.

So you are casting doubt he likely has 2+ years left? I disagree with the RB comparison. RB's are getting pounded 20+ times per game by 300 lb D linemen and 250lb LB's. WR's take some hits no doubt, but far fewer and by mostly guys nearer their size.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1jdwlo0e said:
Sgt. Largent":1jdwlo0e said:
Seymour":1jdwlo0e said:

So you are casting doubt he likely has 2+ years left? I disagree with the RB comparison. RB's are getting pounded 20+ times per game by 300 lb D linemen and 250lb LB's. WR's take some hits no doubt, but far fewer and by mostly guys nearer their size.

I'm just going by the stats, and the stats say WR's have a big dropoff in production and increase in injuries around age 32.

Doesn't mean Doug can't play for many more years, he certainly could.........but does that mean I want or you should want to give him a #1 or even #2 WR 4-5 year extension (which we can assume he will want) after next season?

No, not after last year. If he'd like to stay and play on 1-2 year contracts and see how he does? Sure, I'm down for that. But doubtful, he's going to be like every other elite level player, Doug will want to maximize his next and probably last contract.