OLB- Personnel questions

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is an area of the team where change can be expected. I have lumped together the SOLB and WOLB groups as often the players flop positions or can be asked to do so situationally.

Here is the present roster including the UFAs, ERFAs, and those added back from IR:

SOLB- 51- Barkevious Mingo, 59- Jacob Martin, 47- Justin Currie (F), 43- Emmanuel Beal, IR,

WOLB- 50- KJ Wright (U), 58- Austin Calitro (E), 49- Shaquem Griffin, 35- Maurice Alexander (U), 52- Emmanuel Ellerbee (E), 56- Mychal Kendricks (U), SUS (8 games, now eligible to play last 4 games), activated to 53, IR

There are 10 players. Of those there are 3 UFAs: Wright, Kendricks, and Maurice Alexander. Of Wright and Kendicks I'd prefer to have both back but Wright could be expensive and has a wonky knee while Kendricks may have a federal prison sentence to be served. Alexander was a mostly invisible warm body who I don't expect back. Wright has been a very good WOLB and is worth paying but his knee (?s?) will need a solid prognosis and with that I could see the team letting him go to FA and then trying to match, if the offers for him aren't too spendy. Kendricks played well during his limited time here and would hopefully be available for the start of the season from jail or his sentence allows him to play. The insider trading charge he is to be sentenced upon could have him available at a lower than normal cost. Wright, Kendicks and Wagner would be a tremendous LB crew. I could see the team being very strong against the run with that group and some depth improvement at DT.

The SOLB group of Mingo, Martin, and Beal is a group where there may be some disguised pass rush talent lurking in Martin and Beal, Beal was solid in college. Martin showed himself to have been a good pick and flashed more than once as the season closed. Mingo was steady, solid in coverage, and has that quick first step but needs to be stronger at the POA. I expect to see god thing from Martin next season and am hoping to see more from Beal when he is healthy.

The group at WOLB remaining after Wright and Kendricks, have lots of questions. Shaquem Griffin looked solid on ST and improved steadily at WOLB as the season progressed yet doesn’t yet look to be a full time starter. Perhaps we see growth or maybe a position change? I never thought much of Calitro but he was better than Griffin early. Ellerbee was a PS guy that was an injury replacement depth guy and nothing special. Both Calitro and Ellerbee are ERFAs I could see them being re-upped as camp depth, but want both of/one of Wright and Kendricks back. I could see the team adding to the piles here and letting competition sort out who stays.

I see the team looking to improve this group in the draft.

massari

Reaction score
How much do they save by cutting Mingo? Over The Cap says it's $4.8M while Spotrac says $3.3M.

Either way, seems like doing that and going with Martin is the way to go.

Tical21

Reaction score
Mingo is gone. Both OLB need to be addressed. May be our biggest actual hole on the team. We don't have a starting caliber player at WILL. And have no clue how they can address this. A 4th/5th rounder? I dunno. SAM, not so worried about.

knownone

Reaction score
massari":1rloprs5 said:
How much do they save by cutting Mingo? Over The Cap says it's $4.8M while Spotrac says $3.3M.

Either way, seems like doing that and going with Martin is the way to go.
I can’t imagine them cutting Mingo. Mingo was arguably the best special teams player on the team. He’s a pretty league average linebacker, but his versatility makes him a relative bargain.

I don’t think Martin has the athletic ability to replace him at LB.