Free Agent Signings For 2019

Boycie

Reaction score
Who is out there that we could see the FO targeting?

Draft picks are going to be few this year barring a bunch of trade downs, so we will need to fill some spots.

What positions of need are top priority, and what are the luxury positions for us?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Found this earlier today. Brock Huards weigh in on how the team may approach free agency:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/58771...-would-be-a-big-name-departure-not-a-signing/

Like every other team in the league, the Seahawks will look to bolster their roster with offseason acquisitions this spring and summer. That kicks off with the signing of select unrestricted free agents, either from their own team or from around the league, when the new league year kicks off on March 13.

"But 710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock Huard doesn’t expect the Seahawks to make any big moves. More than that, he’s hoping the big moves come from other teams signing former Seahawks. The reason? Seattle could have a chance to snag some much-needed future compensatory draft picks.

“I don’t expect them to be very active,” Huard said of the Seahawks during his Blue 42 segment of Brock and Salk on 710 ESPN Seattle. “Here’s what I hope: I hope Earl Thomas is very active (in free agency) and the Cowboys go above and beyond, or the Browns do, or any of these teams with a ton of cap space, and pay him enormous money and he becomes a tier 1 free agent who in time will net you that third-round compensatory pick. That’s something you absolutely need in the years to come."

Chapow

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3f8r32us said:
Found this earlier today. Brock Huards weigh in on how the team may approach free agency:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/58771...-would-be-a-big-name-departure-not-a-signing/

Like every other team in the league, the Seahawks will look to bolster their roster with offseason acquisitions this spring and summer. That kicks off with the signing of select unrestricted free agents, either from their own team or from around the league, when the new league year kicks off on March 13.

"But 710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock Huard doesn’t expect the Seahawks to make any big moves. More than that, he’s hoping the big moves come from other teams signing former Seahawks. The reason? Seattle could have a chance to snag some much-needed future compensatory draft picks.

“I don’t expect them to be very active,” Huard said of the Seahawks during his Blue 42 segment of Brock and Salk on 710 ESPN Seattle. “Here’s what I hope: I hope Earl Thomas is very active (in free agency) and the Cowboys go above and beyond, or the Browns do, or any of these teams with a ton of cap space, and pay him enormous money and he becomes a tier 1 free agent who in time will net you that third-round compensatory pick. That’s something you absolutely need in the years to come."

More draft capital is always a good thing. I'm just not a big fan of forgoing making our team better for next season in exchange for a very late 3rd round pick in 2020.

If there's a player available in free agency that they want to sign, that they believe could make a difference for us next year, but they don't because it would cost a comp pick, well, I would be pretty disappointed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Kwon Alexander might be a bargain. He could be solid role player as a pass-rushing/nickle linebacker. His recent injuries hurt his value.

Chapow

Reaction score
I was not a fan of keeping SeaBass over Myers last preseason and I said so. SeaBass was coming off a back injury that kept him out for all of the 2017 season and his age meant that even if did come back and have a solid 2018 season, we were likely to need to find a new kicker again soon anyway. He is also clearly not in very good shape IMO as evidenced by his physique and the fact that he injured himself merely attempting a FG which then left us without a kicker for half of a playoff game.

Please for the love of gawd sign a good young kicker. No more reclamation projects or old, out of shape, and with serious injury history guys that I could probably beat in a foot race.

My suggestions would be either Jason Myers or Josh Lambo.

Edit to add: IMO this should be a priority.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ouanlqe said:

With all due respect to Brock Huard, the Seahawks don't really have the luxury of not signing guys in free agency. Much like last season, It's unlikely they'll get a compensatory pick because they'll need to sign a few guys to fill out their roster. They only have 28 guys signed on guaranteed contracts. On top of that, we have a number of potential holes opening up.

I'm not saying we should go spend tons of money on free agents. I'm just saying compensatory picks won't take precedence over keeping the roster competitive.

mikeak

Reaction score
Knownone knows a lot

We were supposed to get.the comp picks last year to make if for what we traded away.

Didn't work out and this year is worse

So we.have to be active if somehow we can snag one comp pick it will be a big bonus

A-Dog

Reaction score
I want one big signing:
Rodger Saffold, LG, Los Angeles Rams, 6-6, 323, 30 years old. Plug him in between Brown and Britt and the left 3/5 of the line is sorted for a couple of title runs. Rams are going to have to start paying the piper which means they might let Saffold go.

Then a few of mid-tier signings:
A 3-Tech who is strong against the run to replace Shamar Stephen on mixed downs
1-2 more veteran OGs - this could be Sweezy and/or Fluker

In the draft I'd like to come away with two player on the D-line: An EDGE - this could be a pure LEO, or a SLB that can line up at end on passing downs, as well as an interior pass rusher - either a pure 3-tech or an end that can swing inside on passing downs.

Going to assume we retain Clark, Coleman, and KJ for the purposes of this.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
knownone":20xd0ev0 said:
Uncle Si":20xd0ev0 said:

With all due respect to Brock Huard, the Seahawks don't really have the luxury of not signing guys in free agency. Much like last season, It's unlikely they'll get a compensatory pick because they'll need to sign a few guys to fill out their roster. They only have 28 guys signed on guaranteed contracts. On top of that, we have a number of potential holes opening up.

I'm not saying we should go spend tons of money on free agents. I'm just saying compensatory picks won't take precedence over keeping the roster competitive.

One does not build a roster on the hope of future compensatory draft picks. By the end of the 2019 draft I fully expect them to have drafted at least 7 players. It’s what JS/PC do. Accumulate additional picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
After everything we seen from the end of last season to the Dallas game I am going to bank on John and Pete finding a way to make things more improved.

naholmes

Reaction score
Biggest FA signing won’t cost them a comp pick and that’s Frank Clark. Make it happen.

getnasty

Reaction score
I dont see spending money on anyone thats a house hold name. By the time we resign our own guys we wont have a ton of money to spend. I'm not sure how JS pulled off the Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril deals on the cheap like he did in 13 but we need a few like that. Maybe a Shane Ray, Bruce Irvin, or Dante Fowler on a one year prove it deal.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":ee1qm5ux said:
One does not build a roster on the hope of future compensatory draft picks. By the end of the 2019 draft I fully expect them to have drafted at least 7 players. It’s what JS/PC do. Accumulate additional picks.

The Patriots do this every single year. Actually they are even far more aggressive in stockpiling comp picks than that.

1. They sign a lot of roster cut players (street free agents or Unqualified Free agents) during camp or during the season. Allowing them to get signed in the next offseason and bolster their comp pick allotment

2. They trade away own players in their last year. This usually nets them picks in the immediate offseason. Not necessarily a comp pick strategy, but the end result is the same -- letting players go for future draft picks.

3. Trading for guys in their last year of their contracts. Usually they do position swaps (trade down) but instead of getting 2 picks, they just get one, with a player. Similar tactic we used to get Chris Clemons and Leon Washington in PCJS' first offseason. New England's starting LT Trent Brown is one of these and will surely end up netting them another 4th round selection in 2020.

So yes, one can build a roster based on comp pick strategy and do it at the highest level year after year. It's not exactly rocket science. But it takes a lot of discipline. And a roster building strategy that overall doesn't really draft against what's on the roster. But more to the point, builds for the roster two years down the road. Assuming guys they draft will succeed players already entrenched on their roster.

They draft with the idea that their roster is always broken. Because they intentionally break it up year after year. How they break it up is determined by what guys they selected a year or two prior.

It's even easier, and wiser, to build a roster with a robust comp pick component today. Given now that these picks are tradeable. Not only for moving up. But also for plowing into next year.

Looking at the qualified UFAs we signed and retained this year, other than Mingo, I'm not sure any one of those guys was appreciably more important or valuable to us than a cap casualty stopgap player would have been.

Seattle is a team that inherently cannot leverage comp picks to their full potential. For several reasons:

1. John Schneider is philosophically opposed to trading today's picks for next year's picks. He simply doesn't do that. And he admitted early on in his tenure that he doesn't like trading a known commodity (current year pick) for an unknown (what's available next year).

2. Seattle drafts against their current roster. In so doing, the natural and expected byproduct will be that we will take worse players than is currently on the board at other positions where we have strength because we have acute need elsewhere.

Seattle is rarely in a position to let our good players go because we build into the roster a limited or non existent pool of talent behind our starters. This has borne out basically since 2013, when our 'plug holes' strategy predictably helped in sapping our teams ability to build depth (I'd say it went hand in hand with essentially burning a dozen or so draft picks on bad Cable OL picks). And while we did admirably plan for life after Sherman by drafting Griffin -- it's worth noting that we openly tried to offload Sherman in 2017. Before we'd drafted Griffin. The decision to move on from Sherman was already cemented before we had a successor in place.

Of course we can't ignore the benefits either. In this case we have these players for their final year. That inherently has value. And it's assuredly not appreciated after the contract is up and they leave.

Bottom line, is that there is more than one way to build a roster. Seattle isn't unlike many teams that like to add a lot of players year after year. We do it by trading draft capital at the top of the draft to acquire additional picks. Other teams let guys go and get picks essentially 22 months down the road. The end goal is to pick 9-10 times a year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":2dysu8u7 said:
I dont see spending money on anyone thats a. house hold name. By the time we resign our own guys we wont have a ton of money to spend. I'm not sure who JS pulled off the Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril deals on the cheap like he did in 13 but we need a few like that. Maybe a Shane Ray, Bruce Irvin, or Dante Fowler on a one year prove it deal.

Or splash a little bigger on Ezekiel Ansah or Brandon Graham.

Ansah's been hurt, so you know Seattle is looking at him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":82xrall4 said:
I was not a fan of keeping SeaBass over Myers last preseason and I said so. SeaBass was coming off a back injury that kept him out for all of the 2017 season and his age meant that even if did come back and have a solid 2018 season, we were likely to need to find a new kicker again soon anyway. He is also clearly not in very good shape IMO as evidenced by his physique and the fact that he injured himself merely attempting a FG which then left us without a kicker for half of a playoff game.

Please for the love of gawd sign a good young kicker. No more reclamation projects or old, out of shape, and with serious injury history guys that I could probably beat in a foot race.

While I agree on the we need to find the next young solid kicker, it's hindsight to say we should have kept Myers. Dude missed 12 extra points in 2.4 seasons before the Jags cut his ass after week four in 2017, and no one else picked him up. That's how mediocre he was..........so let's not act we all saw the year he had in NY coming.

That's the problem with young kickers, sometimes it takes them 3-4 years to establish themselves as a reliable kicker. Sometimes that reliability never comes, thus why teams like us go with veterans over the growing pains of seeing if that young kicker works out, and there ARE usually growing pains.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Chapow":3t1rtr6z said:

Myers was definitely a reclamation project last year so you are kind of contradicting yourself

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I remember when we got all those comp picks when we let Okung and others go. We drafted Prosise and some other meh players.

I would rather sign young free agents on 2nd contracts. Remember when we signed zach miller and sidney rice (both under 25) at the time? Those guys were a big part of our leap from mediocre to nfc champs.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tw37gfb said:
Chapow":2tw37gfb said:

While I agree on the we need to find the next young solid kicker, it's hindsight to say we should have kept Myers. Dude missed 12 extra points in 2.4 seasons before the Jags cut his ass after week four in 2017, and no one else picked him up. That's how mediocre he was..........so let's not act we all saw the year he had in NY coming.

That's the problem with young kickers, sometimes it takes them 3-4 years to establish themselves as a reliable kicker. Sometimes that reliability never comes, thus why teams like us go with veterans over the growing pains of seeing if that young kicker works out, and there ARE usually growing pains.

Hold up. I never said anything about knowing Meyers was going to have a good season and I did in fact state back in August that I was disappointed and concerned that we decided to keep SeaBass and cut Meyers. I don't know why, but I can't find that thread. I was able to find the thread from last April when we signed SeaBass and this is what I posted in that thread.

hawknation2018":2tw37gfb said:
He missed all of last season with a back issue and missed 6 FGs and a couple of extra points in 2016, the last time he played.

I don't think I'd hate it if we signed him, but I don't think I'd feel very good about it either. We'd probably be looking for a kicker again in the near future as well because he's 40 years old and now has a recent history of a back issue that kept him out an entire season.

Gotta be better options I would think.

He missed six FGs in 2016 . . . but that was out of 35 attempts. Janikowski was 28/29 from inside of 50 yards. Five of his misses were from 50+ yards.

He is the consummate professional. The biggest question mark for him would be passing the physical.

Seeing as how he's 40 years old and just missed an entire season with a back issue, that's a pretty big question mark IMO.

Sometimes you need your kicker to make a 53 yard FG. Most NFL kickers have at least a reasonable shot at hitting those. Sounds like Janikowski doesn't really anymore.

Like I said, gotta be better options. Especially if we don't want to be right back in this same position of needing to find a kicker next off season or the one after that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146339

So no. It's not hindsight. While searching I also noticed that several other posters also stated that they thought we should have kept Meyers over SeaBass. Again, back in August. How is that hindsight?

Chapow

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1jgnyv5n said:
Chapow":1jgnyv5n said:

Myers was definitely a reclamation project last year so you are kind of contradicting yourself

I don't believe I'm contradicting myself at all.

It was going to be one of either Meyers or SeaBass. My preference out of those 2 options was Meyers.

And after the year he just had I wouldn't really consider Meyers a reclamation project anymore, would you?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":25zocctv said:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146339

So no. It's not hindsight. While searching I also noticed that several other posters also stated that they thought we should have kept Meyers over SeaBass. Again, back in August. How is that hindsight?

I didn't mean you directly. But it's been a common refrain on her since Meyers was sent to the Pro Bowl.........OMG WHY DIDN"T WE KEEP HIM!

The reality was we just came off a terrible gamble with Walsh, and Pete and John didn't want to gamble again on an unproven shaky young kicker in Meyers that got cut four games into 2017 for sucking..........so it made sense to keep Seabass, who is a steady kicker.

But I agree, we need to find a younger kicker and stop the revolving door. But that's not so easy either.

Latest posts