Pass Interference and replay

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yesterdays game has brought forth a number of questions on how to negate officiating errors like that feom dictating the outcome of future games.

One such idea is reviewing Pass Interference plays.

https://deadspin.com/theres-only-one-way-this-could-get-worse-1831913486

I agree with the article here where more replay will just bog down the game and grind the emotion from it until its almost unwatchable.

But what are the alternatives?
More refs on the field? Booth officials calling down to field officials to change calls? Just let the mistakes be a part of the game?

Or should PI be reviewable?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I suggest firings.

Nothing improves performance like watching incompetent peers get canned.

zetes

Reaction score
A big old "NO THANKS!" for me. I don't want to see reviews of PI -- there are already too many defensive penalties called and this will make it worse. It was a terrible missed call yesterday but the guy made a mistake -- sometimes people make big mistakes. The officiating will never be perfect and that is part of the drama of sports. It was a terrible call but making a judgement call reviewable like that will just make more people complain. They missed the call -- move on. Just my opinion.
Z.

James in PA

Reaction score
I’m extreme. I want everything to be reviewable. I just want fairness in these damn games. And no, I don’t care if they go 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DynoHawk

Reaction score
It has been reviewable in the CFL for many years. Just sayin

thegameq

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep calling it a missed call? It wasn't missed. Everyone saw it and it was obvious. They just didn't want to call it. It would have more or less ended the game in the Saints favor. If it was a borderline call I could understand, but this was no where near borderline.

How the hell do you miss a call like that? Where was the ref looking if not at the play?

Maybe it's nothing, and I know I'll be watching the Hawks next year and the year after that......but I'm starting to view the NFL the same way I view the NBA. More entertainment than actual sport....and I've pretty much tuned out the NBA, the same way I have professional wrestling.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe each coach should have one “Penalty Challenge” per game.

I hate the idea of another game stoppage but what happened last night was straight up robbery.

You think Seahawks fans are still pissed about the 2006 SB? The Saints fans are damaged for life on this one.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DynoHawk":3nc9lxlr said:
It has been reviewable in the CFL for many years. Just sayin

Ive heard its a real delay there though.

Do you watch?

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
thegameq":apuvhwya said:
Why does everyone keep calling it a missed call? It wasn't missed. Everyone saw it and it was obvious. They just didn't want to call it. It would have more or less ended the game in the Saints favor. If it was a borderline call I could understand, but this was no where near borderline.

How the hell do you miss a call like that? Where was the ref looking if not at the play?

Maybe it's nothing, and I know I'll be watching the Hawks next year and the year after that......but I'm starting to view the NFL the same way I view the NBA. More entertainment than actual sport....and I've pretty much tuned out the NBA, the same way I have professional wrestling.

Lino told the CB he thought the ball was tipped

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
If they could use their challenge flag on any play they wanted and the current rules pertaining to usage were applied then the game would be no longer than it is now. They need to get this shit right, to much at stake.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
If they do not go full challenge based replay, I think a good first step would simply do more automatic replay/off site validation on calls/no calls. NY office could call in to refs on the field with very little delay on some of the most obvious and terrible ones that are making headlines. Things like face mask, roughing, PI, all very quick and easy calls down to the field. We all see it and it is clear and obvious. Coaches shouldn’t even have to waste time throwing flags for full replay on stuff like that.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Make everything challengeable, but to keep the game moving the coaches still only get 2 challenge flags. Also the league should be involved in reviewing any obvious non calls, especially in the Playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agree. Everything is challengeable. Keep the format of 2 challenges per team per game. It's still up to the coaches' discretion on when to use their challenges. That non-call was atrocious. Imagine if that happened to us yesterday. .NET would implode.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":1erefyda said:
Agree. Everything is challengeable. Keep the format of 2 challenges per team per game. It's still up to the coaches' discretion on when to use their challenges. That non-call was atrocious. Imagine if that happened to us yesterday. .NET would implode.
I would change it to 3 ..More to cover

HawkGA

Reaction score
Penalties involve way too much judgement call. You can nitpick darn near any play to see a penalty somewhere, but the refs don't always feel like calling it. That would become an absolute cluster fark with review.

The issue with yesterday's non-PI call wasn't an issue of needing review. It was a bad, horrible non-call by a ref who totally screwed up. Job accountability is what is needed there, not replay. I mean, it was just too obvious of a miss to think "oh if we only had replay". Replay is good for determining possession, distance, crossing the plane of the end zone, stuff like that.

mikeak

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1brkypyw said:
Aros":1brkypyw said:
I would change it to 3 ..More to cover

I would keep 2 BUT if you win one then you get one more. Currently you have to win both to get one more

chris98251

Reaction score
Put a damn big red light somewhere that New York can turn on that stops play, have officials watch every game and have access to camera angles there. When you get something like this hit the Light.

LTH

Reaction score
Im honestly starting to wonder if the NFL is fixed... It sounds stupid but its been that bad that PI non call in the rams game was crap!

LTH

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't deny that there isn't a part of me that thinks the NFL wants the Rams to succeed in LA so badly that this type of event is allowed. I know, I know, the tin foil hat and all of that but it's hard not to believe that line of thinking with a multi-billion-dollar entity not wanting things to go their way if it is in their best interests.

The Seahawks were jobbed in XL* because the NFL wanted the Steelers to win it all given Bettis' homecoming to Detroit. Hell, he was even given the key to the city the week leading up the game. Say wha?

Of course, the way to defeat these potential scenarios is to so outplay your opponent to the point that their game-changing calls aren't even a possibility. Had the Saints been up 35-10 or whatever, that non-call wouldn't have mattered. Even the Seahawks admit they didn't play their best in SBXL*.

But back to topic, I am all for giving each team full autonomy to throw their challenge flag whenever they chose. On ANY play. Again, they only have two (maybe three?) shots so the game isn't going to be unreasonably extended, let's not make that part of the argument.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I like the ideas being discussed here. But I want to add one thing to the Debate. Accountability! What do the ref(s) that could have made the call, have in terms of accountability? I understand missed calls on a bang bang play. That missed PI/helmet to helmet was so obviously bad that the official (s) responsible for that call should no longer be employed as NFL referees.

Latest posts