Should Russell be more involved with game plan/play calling?

Should Russell be more involved with game planning/play creation/play calling?

• Yes

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Doesn't matter, not his pay grade

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Checking the temp of .Net.

I think Russell is at a point where he should be involved with game planning/play calling more. Essentially more plays to audible to. Not stop running the ball or fling the rock around at will, just have a more diverse offense when after reading the defense.

Want your opinion!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much input he has already?

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bhm8qyd5 said:

According to Pete "more than he ever has" whatever that means. That may have been more geared to audible options though.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HELL YES. He has earned the right. I am just not sure if PC will allow it. He is a brilliant defensive mind. Offense? Mmmm, not so much, IMHO.

Jville

Reaction score
My opinion? That sounds so inclusive.

Russell has become more involved in game plans and game day adjustments as he has matured into a master at the quarterback position.

Unfortunately, there isn't a corresponding box to vote on in the poll.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Is there a box to guffaw at the absurdity that we would be better judges of Wilson's capability as a play caller than his coaches?

Hell, I don't even know if Wilson has any tactical intelligence. It's like saying Adam Lambert does a good job fronting Queen, so should he write new Queen songs in spite of what Brian May might think?

John63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":8l1zpvmk said:
Uncle Si":8l1zpvmk said:

No one here does.

And yet we have some saying he should, some saying he already does, and some saying he is not smart enough. One thing we do know is even if he does he does not have the final say so. For all, we know he does not agree with anything but is being overruled by the HC. That said, in the end, it is the HC with final say

TreeRon

Reaction score
Hawkfish":iiwfgweh said:
Checking the temp of .Net.

I think Russell is at a point where he should be involved with game planning/play calling more. Essentially more plays to audible to. Not stop running the ball or fling the rock around at will, just have a more diverse offense when after reading the defense.

Want your opinion!

Fact is we do not know how involved he is now? Hard to say then whether he should be more involved.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is involved to the point he sits in some of the meetings and makes suggestions, Pete is way to much of a control freak, remember games where they had to ask Pete if they could run a play they thought would work given a look by the defense. He is involved, but I think both Schotty and Wilson need permission if they go off script. We know Pete is slow to change and react and adjust many times. Take it for what it's worth.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3sldkgv9 said:
That’s something we’ll never really know until it doesn’t matter.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Can't help but think back to what Beast Mode used to say... do what you do and take over. I would be shocked if Russ doesn't have any input. It's just easier to target coaches, and that target on the chest is part of the job. We can only swing around thoughts and opinions - aren't supposed to know the truth.

John63

Reaction score
nwHawk":1y85gqy3 said:
Can't help but think back to what Beast Mode used to say... do what you do and take over. I would be shocked if Russ doesn't have any input. It's just easier to target coaches, and that target on the chest is part of the job. We can only swing around thoughts and opinions - aren't supposed to know the truth.

I am sure he has input, but he is far from the final word. that is all PC. As I said for all we know he has di8sagreed with much but PC overruled him. The reason the coaches get the brunt is, we know for a fact they have input and final say.

Jville

Reaction score
Subject: Should Russell be more involved with game plan/play calling?

Uncle Si":1j0ly33i said:

The head coach and both offensive coordinators have addressed that over the years. For me, It's not worth it to dig thru archived transcripts and post relevant quotes. I've already witnessed far to many out of hand dismissals of their words than I care to recount ..... "coach speak" being among the more popular phrases of dismissal.

Russell Wilson has also addressed his development and relationship with coaches annually.

In any case, the condensed answer is ...... no.

None of us know like the player and his coach know.

nwHawk

Reaction score
John63":1ofm723v said:
nwHawk":1ofm723v said:

I am sure he has input, but he is far from the final word. that is all PC. As I said for all we know he has di8sagreed with much but PC overruled him. The reason the coaches get the brunt is, we know for a fact they have input and final say.

So... if Russ adds a wrinkle or play that could help the team do you really think Pete would veto it? Sounds like disgruntled fanspeak.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is the most cringeworthy post I've seen at .NET, and there have been some doozies. Time to take a prolonged vacation.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russell will NEVER...and I mean never see his full potential with a defensive minded head coach. Just not gonna happen. I think Pete is our best chance at another championship. But in terms of actual production from Russ, only an offensive minded head coach will get the absolute best out of him. He'll encourage Russ to throw more, take more risks, and put more money into the offense.

Until then, no, we'll follow Pete's conservative philosophy with some Russ magic sprinkled in. Again I love Pete, but his priority will always be on the defensive side of the ball

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in that one of the main reasons the Patriots are the dynasty they are is because of TB12's ability to check out of a play whenever he sees fit. He is so good at recognizing a defense at the LOS and exploiting that particular defense on the fly.

I really believe that if Russ can diagnose a defense and audible out, or even call a simple hot route, he would. I don't think he can. If he could, there should be no reason Pete wouldn't let him.

John63

Reaction score
nwHawk":3aos6wdy said:
John63":3aos6wdy said:
nwHawk":3aos6wdy said:

So... if Russ adds a wrinkle or play that could help the team do you really think Pete would veto it? Sounds like disgruntled fanspeak.

So if Russ has a play or wrinkle that he thinks will help the team but Pete disagrees or thinks it is to risky, who do you think wins? Simple HC sounds like blind HC worship to me. In the end, the HC has the final say