The Big Prototypical #1 WR

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One thing I think we can all agree on is that for some reason, that prototypical 6 foot 4/5/6" primary target who runs like the wind with soft hands has eluded us. We flirted with success through the years but in short bursts (Joe Jurevicius comes to mind) but we can never seem to find that tall, talented #1 type WR. Why has it been so hard to find that player when many other teams seem to have found theirs through the draft?

John63

Reaction score
Aros":ycesihwn said:
One thing I think we can all agree on is that for some reason, that prototypical 6 foot 4/5/6" primary target who runs like the wind with soft hands has eluded us. We flirted with success through the years but in short bursts (Joe Jurevicius comes to mind) but we can never seem to find that tall, talented #1 type WR. Why has it been so hard to find that player when many other teams seem to have found theirs through the draft?

To be honest I don't think they feel they need it, when was the last time we drafted a big WR? When was the last time we picked one up in FA that was beyond a mid-level player? Joe was mid-level. When it comes down to it there are things they value and things they don't.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":22opklda said:

Because they don't want to come here. They know they won't get targets.

Jville

Reaction score
I doubt a big physical ego would fit in very well with our offense. Instilling opponent uncertainty thru ball distribution is a desirable team building goal.

Seymour

Reaction score
Closest we got was Sidney Rice. He was a good Joe and didn't complain much so it worked out. Many others would be under utilized and become a problem here IMO.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":2dyqvsng said:
I doubt a big physical ego would fit in very well with our offense. Instilling opponent uncertainty thru ball distribution is a desirable team building goal.

So we need to clone Larry Fitzgerald? Dangit! The machine isn't ready yet!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":3mhat5v7 said:

Look around the league, very few of the star big bodied receivers (Mike Evans, Thomas, Hopkins, Jones, Cooper, etc) were taken in later rounds, in fact most were taken in the first and second.

So I just don't think we have the draft capital or team depth on either side of the ball to spend a first or even second rounder (if we get one back) on a prototypical flanker Z type of receiver.

It's why we keep swinging and missing on retreads like Marshall, Pete and John can't, or won't use a high pick on a sure thing.......not with holes all over the roster and the priority to rebuild the defense.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hxujrqx said:
Aros":2hxujrqx said:

Look around the league, very few of the star big bodied receivers (Mike Evans, Thomas, Hopkins, Jones, Cooper, etc) were taken in later rounds, in fact most were taken in the first and second.

So I just don't think we have the draft capital or team depth on either side of the ball to spend a first or even second rounder (if we get one back) on a prototypical flanker Z type of receiver.

It's why we keep swinging and missing on retreads like Marshall, Pete and John can't, or won't use a high pick on a sure thing.......not with holes all over the roster and the priority to rebuild the defense.

Agreed - I was thinking about that aspect as well with drafted players. The dudes we are pining for are locked up early in the draft by teams that think those players will also be their salve for their offensive woes and it is a hard argument to make that such a player takes precedence over a baller DE, DT, OG, OT, LB, SS, FS, or whatever else is a clear position of need in a PC defense first, and offense second.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This transcends the current regime. For decades it has been an issue, not just the current run-heavy offense we have. I understand the good points raised, but it still is crazy to me that we have never been able to find and draft a Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson or Demaryius Thomas. Maybe it's not as important in this offense as maybe it would have been in some of our offenses of the past but it still is a head scratcher to me.

mrt144

Reaction score
Aros":1vct4u4f said:
This transcends the current regime. For decades it has been an issue, not just the current run-heavy offense we have. I understand the good points raised, but it still is crazy to me that we have never been able to find and draft a Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson or Demaryius Thomas. Maybe it's not as important in this offense as maybe it would have been in some of our offenses of the past but it still is a head scratcher to me.

Blame it on the rain?

:irishdrinkers:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Aros":157gxx4k said:

Those types of receivers have left the board long long before we ever pick. You have to trade up to get them not down... and down again. Most of our picks are value picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":imgjf8c9 said:

I explained why, it's not a priority in Pete's offense, so he'd never spend that high of a draft pick to get a guy like Johnson, Thomas or Marshall.

The question is why would we? Do you really want to draft a WR like that, pay him 15M a year + to only catch 2-3 balls a game? Sure it'd be great, big bodied flankers still have value, even in this offense.......but scheme wise and cap wise, it doesn't make sense.

It's why Pete's gone after vets like Rice, Williams and Marshall that he can get on the cheap and might pop for a year or two.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I get it, but I do find the value in having someone like that even in our anemic passing offense (relative to the rest of the league). Someone like that is an immediate focal point by any defense. Regardless if they catch the ball 4 times or 12 times in a game. As good as Doug and Tyler are now, imagine how good they could be if the defense is having to account for that legit #1 beast?

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":rlaogrce said:
I get it, but I do find the value in having someone like that even in our anemic passing offense (relative to the rest of the league). Someone like that is an immediate focal point by any defense. Regardless if they catch the ball 4 times or 12 times in a game. As good as Doug and Tyler are now, imagine how good they could be if the defense is having to account for that legit #1 beast?

I could have sworn we just witnessed how that would turn out with Jimmy Graham here?

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":njaeesjw said:
Aros":njaeesjw said:

I could have sworn we just witnessed how that would turn out with Jimmy Graham here?

Or Percy even a little bit, maybe?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seymour":3g405b9c said:
Aros":3g405b9c said:

If he was used correctly, sure.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A younger Marshall would have been a very good fit for RW back when RW was starting he would have been a better option than the Jimmy who isn't really a TE in the classic sense. Finding that big prototypical WR needs to happen by the draft or with some fortuitous FA reclamation project.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham was a mistake. We never should have brought him here. I'll take a guy like Evans, Michael Thomas, Hopkins, Julio Jones, or AJ Green. Hell, Cooper Kuup, when healthy is huge.

Bottom line, I want a longer dawg in the fight. A guy who is aggressive and plays with a nasty streak and is long enough to give teams fits.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":2taf0q53 said:

I said it has value, which is why Pete and John keep trying to find a good deal at the position, i.e. Rice, Marshall type.

But you're mentioning guys who were top 10 draft picks, and not mentioning all the busts at the same prototype over the past decade. Matt Jones, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, Justin Blackmon, Charles Rodgers.

So yeah, it's easy to say hey we'd love to have a Megatron..........but using a 1st round pick or trading up to get one of these guys isn't a sure thing either, and we just blew our only top of the draft value when we need playmakers all over the roster.

DJrmb

Reaction score
My opinion: Because it's not a high priority for good teams. How many of Tom Brady's 5 SB's did he need a big prototypical WR for? How many SB's has Julio Jones won? Larry Fitzgerald? Calvin Johnson? Those are probably the top 3 WR's over the past decade or so and none of them have a title. To me chasing a #1 WR is a mistake. Not to say a good WR doesn't make a team better, but it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Latest posts