Brett Hundley, personnel question

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me it’s time to move on from the playoff loss. It was an acceptable rebuilding season, albeit disappointing at the end.

What is the consensus on this player, keep, or let walk?

Does the the team pitch away the 6th rd. pick in this upcoming draft spent to acquire Hundley or renew him?

What do we truly know about him? What would a fair deal for him look like?

With the recent move in letting urr rookie PS QB McGough go or not signing him to a futures deal it looks as if the team has some QB decisions to make in terms of depth.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I shall pose this to the GB board, but from what I heard when we took him off their hands, they laughed at me....or with me.

What I would like to know is if we let mcgoo go to play in that other league beginning in a month or so, can we get him back? Can other players go to that league from our team and get experience just for us to bring them back for OTAs/Practice/Hawaii trip for emotional support meetings?

I wonder if this is what is on the plate for PC as Sea Gets a team.

zetes

Reaction score
jammerhawk":15nwnnmv said:
For me it’s time to move on from the playoff loss. It was an acceptable rebuilding season, albeit disappointing at the end.

What is the consensus on this player, keep, or let walk?

Does the the team pitch away the 6th rd. pick in this upcoming draft spent to acquire Hundley or renew him?

What do we truly know about him? What would a fair deal for him look like?

With the recent move in letting urr rookie PS QB McGough go or not signing him to a futures deal it looks as if the team has some QB decisions to make in terms of depth.

I've always been of the opinion that the back up QB is a non issue if you have a franchise QB like RW especially if you will have to be giving him 35M+ per year to keep him next year as his agent has indicated this past week. We basically don't have a luxury for a back up qb like Foles unless we just fall into one by luck. Hundley will hopefully never play a game for the Hawks even if he is on the roster so I couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

Z.

justafan

Reaction score
I think the season was more than acceptable for a rebuild. That sounds like an entitled fans opinion.Maybe you didnt mean it that way but in IMO it was a great season all things considered. One of Petes best coaching jobs.

As far as backups,if he isnt a potential stater down the road then he is just a another body. If he doesnt show franchise ability down the road dump him and get another with potential. The season is pretty much lost if RW goes down either way.

Seahawker

Reaction score
In 2017 Hundley filled in for an injured Rodgers for 11 games, during that time GB had multiple injuries across their offense. His stats for that stretch, 61% cmp,1836 yds,9 td/12 int & he ran for 270 yds/2 td on 36 attempts. BH made 705K last year, a slight raise and maybe a 100K incentive for each game he starts in place of Russell would be reasonable. Hundley is a guy who could keep us from collapse if RW has to miss any playing time. I have no idea how PC & JS see his talent at this point, but at 25 years old he seems to be a great value #2 QB. Whether day 3 or UDFA, I'm sure a couple of other arms will be brought in, there are some close to home.

Gardner Minshew WSU
Jake Browning UW
Brett Rypien Boise State

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The McGough signing by Carolina has made this player’s retention something of an issue. I believe Hundley has shown himself to be an acceptable backup but at what price? I wonder if the team has any priority in re-signing him? Somehow I suspect the money wanted will be a key determination to his retention. That’s rather a Captain Obvious remark but I doubt notwithstanding the lost 6th round draft pick that the team is highly invested in keeping him.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe reupping Hundley isn't a critical problem any longer with the addition today of QB- Paxton Lynch on his agreeing to a futures contract with the team.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":pi883nov said:
Maybe reupping Hundley isn't a critical problem any longer with the addition today of QB- Paxton Lynch on his agreeing to a futures contract with the team.

As we know, Pete likes to find ways to get guys on the field. They didn't find a single opportunity to get Brett Hundley on the field for a regular season snap in 2018. Paxton Lynch has the size and length to bring a new dimension / option to those short yardage situations that invite quarterback sneaks. Paxton could work out to be a valuable role player in 2019.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jville":mbtb2t06 said:
jammerhawk":mbtb2t06 said:

As we know, Pete likes to find ways to get guys on the field. They didn't find a single opportunity to get Brett Hundley on the field for a regular season snap in 2018. Paxton Lynch has the size and length to bring a new dimension / option to those short yardage situations that invite quarterback sneaks. Paxton could work out to be a valuable role player in 2019.

I would prefer they give our actual QB a chance at a QB sneak rather than bringing in a guy cold to increase the chance of a fumbled snap. Have we ever attempted a sneak with Russ?

Jville

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3p95tmue said:
Jville":3p95tmue said:
jammerhawk":3p95tmue said:

I would prefer they give our actual QB a chance at a QB sneak rather than bringing in a guy cold to increase the chance of a fumbled snap. Have we ever attempted a sneak with Russ?

I vaguely recall a few limited attempts early on in Russell's career without success. The splits between linemen with short yardage quarterback sneaks are virtually non existent. Although Russell has shown excellent strength when running out of tackles, I think Russell is most effective at utilizing space to run with great finesse. Too my eye, as a group, bigger quarterbacks with a higher plane of vision seem to have more success powering their way over with quarterback sneaks. But, I have yet to see a published study that validates such a perception.

It does, however, seem as though many teams are actively looking for ways to get backups their game day snaps as role players.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may be able to replace those 10 touchdowns Graham took to Green Bay as a big target. :)