Spacing

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Haven't posted much, but touched on this subject durng the last game.

Like others, you may have noticed how the Rams ran all over the Cowboys vs the trash that we put on tje field.

During the game, I posted about how Dallas was on man coverage a lot and how our motioning of players into tight and bunch formations. One thing that was absolutely killing me during the game is how we would have WIDEOUTS motion tight (off tackle or off TE), therefore creating a mass of 8 and 9 man fronts to run against, and then proceed to run at the very same mass of bodies in the middle that our motion created.

This is a fundamental design failure. Sure, RW could elect to call an audible, but either didn't or wasn't allowed to during this last game, unlike others. It's a simple headcount or even just looking at the clutter that the play design creates, but whatever...we never opted out for whatever reason.

FF to the Rams game, and I see a Rams offense that is not only keeping that spacing and spreading out the defense, but is also using it.

Next year, we have to show the fundamental understanding of spacing in football by either the OC or QB or both or we are doomed to repeat. On top of that, playing balanced football is supposed to lend proficiency in both run and pass so that when one isn't there, then the other is. That much is Pete's mantra and hasn't been practiced as well as preached. Rely too much on any one thing and yoh WILL fail, just like the previous 2 years with the pass. I'm not sure of it would be enough to overcome horrible play design, but it should be better...or one would hope.

Anyway, sorry if y'all already beat this to death. Our run plays were probably drawn in crayon that game. Why? Who knows...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2zr7lptj said:
Haven't posted much, but touched on this subject durng the last game.

Like others, you may have noticed how the Rams ran all over the Cowboys vs the trash that we put on tje field.

During the game, I posted about how Dallas was on man coverage a lot and how our motioning of players into tight and bunch formations. One thing that was absolutely killing me during the game is how we would have WIDEOUTS motion tight (off tackle or off TE), therefore creating a mass of 8 and 9 man fronts to run against, and then proceed to run at the very same mass of bodies in the middle that our motion created.

This is a fundamental design failure. Sure, RW could elect to call an audible, but either didn't or wasn't allowed to during this last game, unlike others. It's a simple headcount or even just looking at the clutter that the play design creates, but whatever...we never opted out for whatever reason.

FF to the Rams game, and I see a Rams offense that is not only keeping that spacing and spreading out the defense, but is also using it.

Next year, we have to show the fundamental understanding of spacing in football by either the OC or QB or both or we are doomed to repeat. On top of that, playing balanced football is supposed to lend proficiency in both run and pass so that when one isn't there, then the other is. That much is Pete's mantra and hasn't been practiced as well as preached. Rely too much on any one thing and yoh WILL fail, just like the previous 2 years with the pass. I'm not sure of it would be enough to overcome horrible play design, but it should be better...or one would hope.

Anyway, sorry if y'all already beat this to death. Our run plays were probably drawn in crayon that game. Why? Who knows...
Actually you bring up some great points. Great post! :2thumbs:

mrt144

Reaction score
But see, if we bring 10 guys into the box to beat 9, there's no way they can stop us. If they bring 11 RW throws a pass to himself over the top, game over.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Vin,

I think your right and wrong at the same time. It is also the same philosophy that a lot of people hate on third and short.

We see a lot of that spacing on empty sets, the reason why they run them. Easier for the offense to read a D, and suppose to be more spacing for Russell to run for a 1st.

You can use straight up man blocking and try to hit the edge, compressing everything in favor of an offense. If you run an inside zone compressing everything and getting backside blocks on LB's helps open large cut back lanes, and makes it difficult for Lbs and safeties to navigate the trash.

A lot of times we do see the spread the D and quick hitters away from a DE or up the middle so as to get the spacing and double team on man blocking.

It is all about what is believed to be best way to accomplish what they want to do and how they can do it. Decisions on this are made in preparation and during real time. Of course the best laid plans, and when do you change course?

Ozzy

Reaction score
statistically the success rate of these old school jumbo bunch formations is far less though. The game has changed and coaches are slow to adapt because they've spent 20-40 years believing the opposite and have had enough success its hard to divorce yourself from it. Pete is a victim of this at times too. I hope Russ is being vocal behind the scenes and my guess is that he is and they follow through with their self scouting claims and fix some of this. Before I get accused of asking for a complete abandonment of his philosophy I'm not, just some minor adjustments.

chris98251

Reaction score
austinslater25":35ptovk1 said:
statistically the success rate of these old school jumbo bunch formations is far less though. The game has changed and coaches are slow to adapt because they've spent 20-40 years believing the opposite and have had enough success its hard to divorce yourself from it. Pete is a victim of this at times too. I hope Russ is being vocal behind the scenes and my guess is that he is and they follow through with their self scouting claims and fix some of this. Before I get accused of asking for a complete abandonment of his philosophy I'm not, just some minor adjustments.

Leather football, 100 YDS in the field, how you get there changes as teams stack for the going trend, you all that think it's all about passing need to really look at what teams have good running backs, Pete changed the trend to lighter and faster and teams adapted, now the league is going to have to change again and put more beef in the middle to stop the run, it is cyclic.

Oh and if it was so great how come Chip Kelly is looking for a job still?