Pay Wilson Or Not..

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I hate to say it so soon after the game but I think there is a lot of overreaction to the game about his role on the team.

He is still our best offensive player, there were several games he won us this year.

The huge problem here is the coaches forgot that he won us the Carolina game when the running game was doing crap and the defense couldn't stop them.

The idea we should let him walk so some other team will let him throw more is silly.

We've seen Russell pass a lot (2016 and 2017) and while he is productive he is often running for his life and taking unnecessary hits.

Running the ball makes him better (opens playaction) and protects him (less hits)

I hope the takeaway from the Cowboys game isn't that we need to stop running, I hope the takeaway is we need to trust our passing game when the run isn't there.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have yet to see RW be trusted properly behind a decent o-line with creative gameplanning to see if he can carry a team and be successful.

I watched Rivers do two fake screen passes and then hit the open guy up the middle today. Never seen Seattle coaches come up with anything similar

Continuous failure to properly use screens and other setups to delay blitzes combined with failure to adjust (offensively) during a game has held RW back for years.

We can not trade him as suggested. Because everytime our gameplan leaves us down within one score we need him to drive down the field and be superhuman. Instead of letting him lead with three scores we need him to barely make us win.

So this coaching requires a QB that can win it which is ironic since it lacks the courage to let him lead us to a win for four quarters.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":274d5dd6 said:
I hate to say it so soon after the game but I think there is a lot of overreaction to the game about his role on the team.

He is still our best offensive player, there were several games he won us this year.

The huge problem here is the coaches forgot that he won us the Carolina game when the running game was doing crap and the defense couldn't stop them.

The idea we should let him walk so some other team will let him throw more is silly.

We've seen Russell pass a lot (2016 and 2017) and while he is productive he is often running for his life and taking unnecessary hits.

Running the ball makes him better (opens playaction) and protects him (less hits)

I hope the takeaway from the Cowboys game isn't that we need to stop running, I hope the takeaway is we need to trust our passing game when the run isn't there.

Well said. That issue of trust is being repeated over and over.

If true why wouldn't PC trust Wilson at this point? That seems crazy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yep, Reddit! SMDH...

Long story short you pay Russ and have the coaching staff adjust their stubborn ways to be quicker with in game adjustments.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sigh.

Russell Wilson is a ONCE IN A GENERATION QB.

Shall we revisit the 1990's? Do we have THAT short of memories?

Kemp? Friesz? Gelbaugh? McGwire? Shall I go on?

You pay him top dollar because he is WORTH IT.

Or don't. And let's pay a bunch of peripheral players top dollar and watch how much it translates to SQUAT when you have some average shlub as QB. Let's see how that works out for us.

:roll:

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
I do wonder if Russ has any interest in a change of scenery. He obviously super popular in Seattle and seems to get along with the team, and has good team success overall, but if he cares about his individual legacy (maybe he does, maybe he doesn't), is a run-first team the best spot to do it?

The most frustrating thing to me about yesterday's game is we have a top-ten quarterback but we game-plan like we have Case Keenum. I can't imagine this doesn't frustrate Russ at least a little.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Bob,
With all due respect..You couldn't wait a week?
I get the shit storm that is coming but I'm not
over that game just yet to even start on this.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I saw one thing: An offensive line that simply ran out of gas. Any other problems on offense came as a result of that.

To be fair, the guys had been playing out of their skins all year, with much credit to Solari, and Fluker and Sweezy were rushed back because Pocic and Fant were never going to handle Dallas' front 7, which is among the NFL's best.

I tip my hat to our offensive line, and it was a bit sad to see them struggle so much after having achieved such great things all year, but part of winning in the post-season is being lucky on the injury front. We just weren't.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is a valid question going forward. No team passed the football less than the Seahawks this season. If Carroll wants to continue this style of offense, then paying Wilson 30 million dollars per year doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately this is a catch-22 situation. If Seattle decides to part ways with Wilson and Carroll's job is in jeopardy. It also means that you're gambling on finding a suitable replacement. The only way this could possibly work out in the Seahawks favor is if we have a suitable replacement waiting in the wings that is not only decent, but comes at a small cost. In free agency that means the Seahawks are going to be leaning on a Teddy Bridgewater, or Fitzpatrick type of player. These players could bring us a winning season, but their main issue is inconsistency. These players are unpredictable, especially Fitzpatrick. He goes on huge tears, and equally as spectacular dry spells. The only other option is executing a trade for a rookie, and hoping that you get a top 10 pick out of Russell Wilson (not to unrealistic). Then you got the question of an unknown player manning the QB position.

It's a tough question, and one I'm sure that the Seahawks are mulling over. I do think it was very odd that Schneider himself was at Josh Allen's pro-day. Even Russ's agent, and Russ himself reacted to that in an interesting way. That may be an indication that they at least thought about it in some fashion. I do think that a 30 million dollar contract will hamper the Seahawks ability to field a competitive team, especially with how we run our offense.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I would imagine that RW would like to be in Canton, what footballer wouldn't. His chances are diminished if he plays his entire career handing the ball off. I would NOT be surprised if HE (through his agent) looked around the league for a better situation for HIM. What if Phillip Rivers, Tom Brady or even Rogers were to retire unexpectedly in Wilson's contract year. Would John Elway like to get his hands on RW?
Frankly if RW were to leave, one way or another Pete Carroll's (and Schneider's) tenure in Seattle would be tarnished as Pete Ball would more than likely not have a dynamic QB to bail him out in the 4th quarter any longer.

94Smith

Reaction score
You guys are neglecting all the 3rd down conversions (running and passing), deep balls, game winning drives and red zone TDs that Wilson brings to the table. Man just pay him what he is due.

Seymour

Reaction score
If Wilson is smart, he will get away from Pete before he is ruined once and for all. You have to believe that he is getting that advise from his agent and others.

Just the way he is, Pete is gunna run retreads and 86 octane on his Ferrari. :pukeface:

chawx

Reaction score
Do we really want to give another team a QB that will beat our asses soundly every. single. damn. time. we play them? No! Russell HAS to stay here, period.

Man, could you imagine Russell on any other team?

You can say goodbye to Seattle EVER winning another championship as long as he's in the league.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would love for Wilson to stay here and for them to use him properly.

But he went from being the guy Advertising Execs were touting as the next big thing to watching Dak Prescott be feted as a better playoff QB than he is.

To be honest, I don't think it matters who your QB is.

This system would give a QB 7-9 win seasons as long as you have an average QB. I don't think Wilson is anywhere near average though. So it somewhat squanders him.

That said, I don't think any QB can win in the playoffs under this system with this defense. It only works with an all everything defense. I doubt Tom Brady could win with it if you only gave him the ball midway through the 4th.

So there are a number of QBs that could do close to the same thing in this system. Is he worth 30M then?

But he could do amazing things in a different system that used his strengths better. It just won't be here. I don't think we can keep Wilson for that reason. He believes too much in his ability and is too goal oriented to accept a system that he has to know holds him down.

I don't want him gone, I want the system that is underproducing with him gone. I want an offense that can be effective in the playoffs or leverage Wilson better. But I would be shocked if he reups with us. Maybe if we agree to install an OC of his choosing.

However, if we pay 30M for the Wilson we have now? We could get close to the same results with a number of other QBs that are far inferior. I mean would it matter if it is Wilson or Foles if neither is throwing until the 4th quarter anyway? And paying Wilson 30M will gut the team - lowering our productivity and effectiveness. So either use Wilson better to get your 30M worth, or don't pay him 30M and play him like he is a 13M QB.

I still think this decision belongs to Wilson and his agent, not us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is like Groundhog day.

We win everyone loves Schotty, Pete's got snubbed for coach of the year and pay Russell cause he's awesome.

We lose and the game's past Pete by, fire Schotty and Russell's being wasted he shouldn't resign.

Yes you pay Russell, he just came off his best statistical year in TD/Int (35/7) and QBR (110.9)........and is now firmly in his prime to lead the Hawks hopefully back to another SB once the defense gets some more playmakers on it.

Death, taxes and no way in hell Pete allows Russell to go anywhere.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8cnrl7u5 said:

We win everyone loves Schotty, Pete's got snubbed for coach of the year and pay Russell cause he's awesome.

We lose and the game's past Pete by, fire Schotty and Russell's being wasted he shouldn't resign.

Yes you pay Russell, he just came off his best statistical year in TD/Int (35/7) and QBR (110.9)........and is now firmly in his prime to lead the Hawks hopefully back to another SB once the defense gets some more playmakers on it.

Nope! You never heard me "love on Schotty" and never will. He is an extension of Pete's philosophies that is in direct conflict with a top 5 QB (Wilson) and a multi dimensional attack that can adjust well to circumstances.

Getting rid of Schotty will change very little, so I'm not going there either. The man holding the puppet strings is the one you want if you are tired of watching this offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":pvq8wvc2 said:
Sgt. Largent":pvq8wvc2 said:

Nope! You never heard me "love on Schotty" and never will. He is an extension of Pete's philosophies that is in direct conflict with a top 5 QB (Wilson) and a multi dimensional attack that can adjust to circumstances.

Getting rid of Schotty will change very little, so I'm not going there either. The man holding the puppet strings is the one you want if you are tired of watching this offense.

There was major emphasis put on the week 3 turnaround in which PC made a point to say he was stepping out of Schottys way.

If that is believed, as it was with Bevell, then Schotty was a bit diffetent than just an extension of Petes philosophy

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":11alnsgm said:
Sgt. Largent":11alnsgm said:

Nope! You never heard me "love on Schotty" and never will. He is an extension of Pete's philosophies that is in direct conflict with a top 5 QB (Wilson) and a multi dimensional attack that can adjust well to circumstances.

Alright, everyone but Seymour............and yes getting rid of Schotty won't change the offense because this is Pete's team, and IMO that's a good thing.

We saw glimpses of how successful this team can be, on both sides of the ball once some more playmakers are added on defense and depth issues are fixed. Which should happen over the next year or two...........all with Russell now squarely in his prime.

If you or anyone else thought this was a SB caliber team THIS year? You were delusional, this team overachieved and still went 10-6 during a rebuild.

Have faith. It's much more pleasant then being negative.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This offense demands hyper extreme efficiency. It is easy to say the QB is not as valuable because he hands it off so much, but I think most QBs would fail badly here, and would absolutely cost us wins. Russell is extremely important to the success of this team. I don’t know what 35m/yr would mean for other players (I don’t think any player is worth that, see Rodgers) however. Also an element that Russ might also want to move on.

Latest posts