D line is getting expensive

justafan

Reaction score
With the great year Clark and Reed are having I could see them pushing towards a combined 35 mil by the time we negotiate. In the past drafting DL has been a struggle but if Ford,Jones,Green and Martin continue to develop we should be looking pretty good for several years.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Few teams have a QB and a DE getting top dollars at their positions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I dunno if it's smart to pay for Clark with what he wants..Just saying if your
paying RW 30 plus per.It's obviously easier to replace a DL than a QB..
Plus the fact the NFL doesn't want defenses if you look at the rules.
I'm not sure who's contract is up first or if it's at the same time but I can
see someone is going.

OP
OP
J

justafan

Reaction score
I see your point but top d lineman are the next hardest position to fill and the next in line of importance. We were in a position to find FAs like Bennet and Avril and got great production for a decent price but I am not sure you risk losing these guys,They became what we hoped for when they drafted them.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
It's tough, but if we can only keep one--Reed or Clark--I think I might lean toward Reed.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Paying Russ will make these choices even tougher.

Front Office has their work cut out.

GO HAWKS!!!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
It really is. It will be interesting to see what happens with Clark. He has been really good this year at providing an edge rush presence, but he's not very good against the run and he tends to disappear at times.

I'm not sure about Reed. Coming out of college, wasn't he deemed as the most pro ready DT? This is the first year where he's really stood out. It kind of stinks that we're finally seeing his presence in year 3 knowing that next year will be a contract year for him.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":33pgm7ww said:
It really is. It will be interesting to see what happens with Clark. He has been really good this year at providing an edge rush presence, but he's not very good against the run and he tends to disappear at times.

I'm not sure about Reed. Coming out of college, wasn't he deemed as the most pro ready DT? This is the first year where he's really stood out. It kind of stinks that we're finally seeing his presence in year 3 knowing that next year will be a contract year for him.

He finally has a line coach with a clue. He's having a strong year.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
semiahmoo":pu1sf5b1 said:
Thepeelsessions":pu1sf5b1 said:

He finally has a line coach with a clue. He's having a strong year.

He's now showing the ability to get to the QB from inside, but ultimately he gets paid to eat double teams and stop the run. Anything else is a bonus. Few guys in that spot put up good sack numbers, so to me, it's more of icing on the cake vs him finally making a presence. Those guys in the middle usually go unnoticed by fans because of it. We drafted him to plug the middle and he wasn't expected to get to the QB much, but it has been a pleasant surprise this year.

I'm not too worried about the cap with Russell and Clark signing now that the cap goes up 10mil every year. I'll start to worry if that number ever goes down significantly. It might even go up a bit more than that

knownone

Reaction score
I doubt Frank and Reed get 35 million combined. Frank will get a contract similar to what Danielle Hunter got this offseason 13-17 million per. If Reed can put up another high sack season next year he'll get 8-12 per year.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I would save 30 mill from Wilson, draft a qb in the first or get another game manager at qb. Wilson is not going to take us to the promise land with this level of playing. It's going to be the running game and defense, just like the last 2 times we went to the SB.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
northseahawk":39ka6goq said:
I would save 30 mill from Wilson, draft a qb in the first or get another game manager at qb. Wilson is not going to take us to the promise land with this level of playing. It's going to be the running game and defense, just like the last 2 times we went to the SB.

The problem is (other than Wilson) this organization sucks at QB talent evaluation.

OP
OP
J

justafan

Reaction score
knownone":cpq3j426 said:
I doubt Frank and Reed get 35 million combined. Frank will get a contract similar to what Danielle Hunter got this offseason 13-17 million per. If Reed can put up another high sack season next year he'll get 8-12 per year.

You might be right. Clarks agent already stated his goal is to get to free agency. He is playing at a top 10 level now. He seems to be taking on a leadership role on this D so with the raise in salary cap i could see him in the upper range. If not here someone will pay him I think.

If Reed has another year of 7- 10 sacks, that puts him in the elite level. He is having a better year than players making 16 to 17 mil a year. A DT who can put up 8.5 sacks with 2 games to play is extremely hard to find. Maybe this is his career year but if this is what he does every year I wouldnt trade him for any DT in the league.

These guys are part of the new core and leaders of the team IMO. Get them some help and I think this D could be special again.

Edit, I was going off salary cap numbers for 4-3 DT and DEs Donald was listed as a DE on NFL stats

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The D line is getting expensive. But I think that's where this defense was already heading to as far back as 2016.

Remember, we tried to jettison Sherm before the draft. We clearly were looking at shedding contract in the secondary.

Similarly, we should expect relief from KJ's contract. We're going to shed money there as well.

We're going to lose Earl's contract. Also Kam's deal can be shed for a modest dead money hit in 2019. All told, that'd be about 20m in cap space right there. And naturally, the massive dead money allocation this year will be relieved for 2019.

If you're looking at where we've been heading -- it looks like Seattle has been expecting to shift defensive dollars to the DL for some time. So I don't think you're wrong. I also don't think it's a bad thing either.

We are arriving at the correct conclusion that our strength is developing the back seven. We should take advantage of that efficiency by continuing to develop good/cheap players there. Ideally we'd be in a position to trade guys we develop for draft capital if we've already groomed a suitable successor.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
How bad is our pass rush without those two? You keep them both, no question.

Frank isn't that poor against the run. The play against mcglinchy he went wide and then dove back inside to trip up Breida

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":361gy4gd said:
How bad is our pass rush without those two? You keep them both, no question.

Frank isn't that poor against the run. The play against mcglinchy he went wide and then dove back inside to trip up Breida
Yes, indeed!

These guys are young and will ball out still!

Carroll is all about playing defense and running the ball.

If you don't resign Clark and reup Reed, imagine if the Seahawks not have a run game either.

You'll have nothing but a QB with not much else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm OK with paying both Reed and Clark.

- 2nd contract
- still young and hungry
- homegrown in the system and scheme
- emerging defensive leaders

Most teams have at least 1-2 big contracts on the D-line, no reason to skimp there on either player, unless their contract demands are insane.

Pay em and keep drafting to build the next great defense, maybe mix in a good FA or two for depth. We'll have almost 65M of cap space next year, so no reason to be worried about affording either player.

Latest posts