I Should Have Seen This Coming

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I wanted to ignore the Trap Game element. I wanted to pretend I didn't think the 49ers would want this game as badly as they did. I wanted to believe "Win it for Sherman" was not a thing, and maybe it really wasn't even still.

The 49ers played like it was a game in January. The Seahawks didn't match their efforts. 14 penalties? No excuses for that. If Holmgren was the HC he would have lost his shit.

I have to remind myself this is a YOUNG football team and today it showed. For all the accolades, all the wins, at the end of the day, this is still a young football team and even though they will still make the playoffs (thanks to the Chiefs and/or Cardinals) they have a long ways to go to become truly elite again.

An elite team makes the 49ers look like hot garbage today. A young, up-and-coming team makes the 49ers look decent today. That's what happened.

I've cooled off since earlier. I was just hoping for the win so we could be on cruise-control as fans the final two weeks.

Instead, in typical Heart Attack Hawks fashion, it looks like the post season could very well come down to the final game of the year.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's the Seattle Seahawk way!

After 32 years of watching & rooting for this bipolar ass team, NOTHING that transpired today shocked me.
Plus, watching us lose like that was 100,000 times better than sitting through my Uncle's 5 hour funeral service. I love you Uncle Bishop, but even YOU know that The COGIC be on that bullshit. Rest Easy, OG.
You were a great guy and your success and accomplishments speak for themselves!

poly1274

Reaction score
You should had seen it coming when you see the line -3. and it only went to -3.5

It was like really obvious.

The refs will penalize the 49ers in the beginning and penalize the Seahawks at the end of the game.

The biggest mistake tho was that the Seahawks could had won or tie the game. All they have to do was let 49ers have the first possession.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We still have the 5th spot.....but the Heart Attack Hawks are making it hard on us fans. Russ was not "on" this afternoon......again. The back field could not tackle well. There was no real "intensity" today.

Polaris

Reaction score
Alright, I have to ask. Which Seahawk ticked off the High Voodoo Priest or Priestess. Not only did our Seahawks play pathetically and lose the the Niners, but everything in the playoff picture that could go wrong for Seattle did!

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I just got back from the game and I can tell you that Russ missed some shots today. The penalties were plentiful but a couple I have to say were very questionable. To the point where I think the NFL is getting way too close to the WWF.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Um, there were clearly questionable calls today that favored the 49ers. I believe the NFL is all about drama. Without going into tin foil hat territory, you cannot tell me there is not a legitimate human element that goes into calling games a certain way if it favors the league.

No I am NOT saying we lost because of officiating. The 49ers wanted it more than we did today, period.

But, come on. 14 penalties? Some were definitely legit. Others?? :snack:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, and, who amongst us would have thought the only team to win today in the NFC West would be the 49ers?

Raise your hand.

Nobody?

Nobody?

Parity is alive and well brothers and sisters.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I put this loss completely on Aros!! Why you ask, because I can. :mrgreen:

As far as penalties go...anyone remember Wagz non-call last week? Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes...

We're still in the hunt, we still have played better than most folks thought we would. Could be worse. :les:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I think the league does everything humanly possible it can to force parity (coming close to crossing the line) even where it shouldn't exist at times. If they had their way all games would be close and all playoff races would come down to the final week of games. Their favorite story line is a big improbable comeback. It's the scenario that gets the most play for days after a game. I don't think they're stupid enough to blatantly give directives, but they're definitely arrogant enough to want to do it and if they thought the benefit outweighed the risk of getting caught they would do it.

Chawker

Reaction score
We still have two games left and both are at home, in a way it makes good scince dropping this game. Our division rivals are dafting with one extra win and we will be drafting lower too, so its a win win for us plus we'll still make the play-offs. Just get ready for KC and move on.
Cheers

iigakusei

Reaction score
Please stop with the refs are biased talk. They are not trying to keep games close, they are just completely incompetent.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LymonHawk":31thjngh said:
I put this loss completely on Aros!! Why you ask, because I can.

Well earned old friend!! And my daughter would agree! She is all about "jinxing" and apparently I made some comment early in the morning about how I thought the Seahawks would win and instantly she took that as a "jinx" and we were doomed to lose. Sigh. 13-year-olds.

Is she right?!? :327321_Spy_23.22:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Aros":st8odav5 said:
LymonHawk":st8odav5 said:
I put this loss completely on Aros!! Why you ask, because I can.

Well earned old friend!! And my daughter would agree! She is all about "jinxing" and apparently I made some comment early in the morning about how I thought the Seahawks would win and instantly she took that as a "jinx" and we were doomed to lose. Sigh. 13-year-olds.

Is she right?!? :327321_Spy_23.22:

Absolutely!!! She's 13yo already? Wow! Now I really feel old. :les:

niveky

Reaction score
Don't be too doom and gloom Aros. This team has been much better in regards to penalties this year. Are they at the top, no, but they have improved dramatically. 16th in penalties and 18th in penalty yardage. That is a really big deal from seasons past under Carroll. Yesterdays game was an anomaly for this season. If you look at the stat lines, they all line up pretty much with the excellent football we have seen from them this season.

Wilson 23/31 237 yds 2 tds(3 sacks and the recovered fumble but still a pretty solid performance) I know he missed that opportunity with Baldwin on the 3rd and fifteen but overall he played well.

Rushing yards 168

Chris Carson accounting for 119 of those at a 5.4 yd a rush and a td

Baldwin drug in 4 of 6 balls thrown his way and Davis, Lockett, Carson and Dickson all caught every target they got. Moore had two other missed receptions and i don't know how much the 2 from him and the 2 from Baldwin were on them or Wilson but that means that there were basically 4 true throw away balls from Wilson that were not opportunities for anyone to catch. so 27 targets with 23 receptions is a 85.15 % catch rate for the game by the recievers. that's pretty damned good. i mean just to see rankings on the catch rate Michael Thomas, for the Saints, is at 86% leading that category and next down is Lockett at 79%. The players catching the ball yesterday stepped up big time.

On defense there were 3 sacks, 5 tackles for loss and 10 qb hits. They were getting after Mullins. Last game in a blowout Mullins had over 400 yards passing and this game he was limited to under 300 and they kept the 9'ers under 100 yards rushing.

I really feel like I agree with Pete in regards to the effort was there, the intensity was there, and our Seahawks were dominant in every way that they normally have been this season, aside from the score. It was like Duane Brown said also, "I think the most disappointing part is how much we assisted in the loss. Take nothing away from them -- they played a really good game and came out with a lot of energy. But we had 14 penalties for over 100 yards. It's hard to win like that." He also was on record as saying "Everything we want is still in front of us, but it's not going to get any easier. We've got a really good team coming into our stadium next week. We've got to go back to the drawing board and correct our mistakes and make it happen."

Is it possible that there could be another game this year where the penalties are so bad while the team is playing outstanding and it will cause a loss? sure it is..but I don't believe it will. This is going to be an extremely focused and energized team on sunday night and we are going to see one hell of a game. Pete is going to have this team ready for the limelight. I will not be surprised either way if they win or lose but I do know that I am not going to hinge any further prognostications for this team based on the game yesterday.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I as well had a bad feeling about this one. 49ers kept the last one close and seemed to tear up the secondary. They did it again yesterday just showing really how many issues there are back there. Also besides the run game the passing game was out of sync yet again. If Baldwin didnt play I'm guessing the score isnt even close. A lot of horseshit penalties did not help but let's face it there were some real undisciplined plays by our guys. Maybe the Sherman stuff got in their heads. Either way it is setting up a must win vs Arizona who is going to wanna play their game of the year to knock the Hawks out.

niveky

Reaction score
Cyrus12":w0uaaglb said:
I as well had a bad feeling about this one. 49ers kept the last one close and seemed to tear up the secondary. They did it again yesterday just showing really how many issues there are back there. Also besides the run game the passing game was out of sync yet again. If Baldwin didnt play I'm guessing the score isnt even close. A lot of horseshit penalties did not help but let's face it there were some real undisciplined plays by our guys. Maybe the Sherman stuff got in their heads. Either way it is setting up a must win vs Arizona who is going to wanna play their game of the year to knock the Hawks out.

I don't understand the knock on the passing game when it was the same m.o. it has been all season. Take advantage of the opportunities you can and take advantage of the run game. I know one of the 4 clear throw aways was the possible td that could have been with Baldwin but no quarterback makes all the throws all the time. There were 4 balls that could have been dropped by those targeted for receptions but as I mentioned 23 of 27 targets were caught for an 85.15% catch rate by the receivers for the game.

The 49'ers were hungry to show they weren't the team that got trounced two weeks ago and it showed in their effort. That coupled with all the penalties was a recipe for disaster. Despite all the doom and gloom, the team played well. Even with the effort the 49'ers put forth and the penalties this team was still in position to pull out the win but between those two factors, the kicking, crappy coverage on the return and a couple of missed opportunities...that is a mountain of challenges to overcome and it was just a little bit too much.

Anomaly. That was what yesterday was and I do not expect that all those factors that went against this team yesterday will come together to steam roll them like yesterday. Even despite those factors they only lost by 3. This team is far more resilient than a lot of posters here are giving them credit for.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
49's played hungry.

Too many penalties.

D was a bit inconsistent.

Russ had a few critical brain farts.

49's won.

That's football.

It's been a very fun season and we might still make a surprise run into the playoffs.

Given where we started that's pretty darn good...