Just wondering if these were make up calls

chris98251

Reaction score
After Wagner's hurdle and admitting it should have been called was this a make up game call to offset that win?

Yes it's conspiricy theory stuff but there was so much talk about it and the fact Wags thought he got away with something and it was in the media as such, the NFL Officials do not like to be made to look bad, and showed up. They fine for critisim of them by players and coaches, Wags didn't call them out but made them more look like fools.

Think about it from that perspective.

SlickRick

Reaction score
Unfortunately because of things of this nature , seattle gets the short end of the stick again. 49ers fans have there candles lit & fresh pair of undergarments, knowing Dang well they stole a win from the hawks. Hawks play 49ers 10 times niners win 1 due to officiating imo

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Clearly the calls were to make up for the Ciara halftime performance.

Rbenner99

Reaction score
Is it possible instead on a “conspiracy” which is possible it could be a “no benefit of doubt”. Basically it’s the nfl saying Seahawks you got one last week but if it’s close we are calling it on you. Balancing the scale?

minormillikin

Reaction score
I don't like bad calls for or against the Seahawks. Muddies up everything and gets people all angry over something they have no control over.

I've talked to Steelers fans and they're not proud of XL like they would be without all the ref interference. And I think Seahawks fans would have been way happier with an obviously clean catch than "fail Mary."

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Rbenner99":3300kjig said:
Is it possible instead on a “conspiracy” which is possible it could be a “no benefit of doubt”. Basically it’s the nfl saying Seahawks you got one last week but if it’s close we are calling it on you. Balancing the scale?

Do you think they have a conference call with the refs to give them these instructions or send them emails? Maybe it's short enough that text messages work.

NJlargent

Reaction score
minormillikin":2dt0onjq said:
I don't like bad calls for or against the Seahawks. Muddies up everything and gets people all angry over something they have no control over.

I've talked to Steelers fans and they're not proud of XL like they would be without all the ref interference. And I think Seahawks fans would have been way happier with an obviously clean catch than "fail Mary."

There were at ton of posts on here saying that the fail mary was actually a catch and that Wags block last week was not a penalty. It is simply being a fan and looking for excuses when you flat out choke and/or explaining away gifts when you win.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
NJlargent":2vigsiie said:
minormillikin":2vigsiie said:

There were at ton of posts on here saying that the fail mary was actually a catch and that Wags block last week was not a penalty. It is simply being a fan and looking for excuses when you flat out choke and/or explaining away gifts when you win.

Many thought it was a penalty here and we got away with one at the time, Wagner saying yeah it was a penalty and he got away with it and the Refs missed it was the knife turning in the wound and it was all over the media. The NFL has issues with looking like fools, I am sure Zimmer made a big deal about it in the weekly meetings about officiating as well.

Message is don't show up the officials, missed call is one thing, them getting their nose rubbed in it for a week is another.

Rbenner99

Reaction score
So the nfl doesn’t talk to officials during week? That explains why officials are so bad. No communication with the league. That explains why holding is such a judgement call and a couple years ago no one knew what a catch was. Bmorepunk you are a genius. As for the call last week, by the letter of the law it was a penalty. Did it help? Maybe I don’t think anyone knows either way but it should’ve been called. The fail Mary was a terrible call.

minormillikin

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3mi4m4xl said:
Rbenner99":3mi4m4xl said:

Do you think they have a conference call with the refs to give them these instructions or send them emails? Maybe it's short enough that text messages work.

I don't think there's a league-sponsored conspiracy afoot, otherwise it would be Jets v Giants every Super Bowl. That said....

People cover up their ears and say LaLaLa when I say this, but it would be naive to think all ref crews are squeaky clean. They don't get paid a lot, yet can easily decide who beats or doesn't beat the spread, etc...
It would almost be idiotic to not build a small betting fortune on the side for retirement. Of course they would never place a bet, but a relative in-law, or someone who can provide them with a future "consulting" job after retirement etc... Nearly impossible to stop this kind of thing.
It's probably worse in college though.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Has anybody checked the refs for earpieces? Maybe they're getting calls from the Illuminati or Vegas Bookie Guild real-time.

TAB420

Reaction score
When the Jets tried to sue the NFL, didn't they state that they had a right to make games close? Didn't they also say that the NFL is under an entertainment license instead of a sporting license? I thought I read that on here?

Seahawk

Reaction score
TAB420":318ac4x5 said:
... Didn't they also say that the NFL is under an entertainment license instead of a sporting license? I thought I read that on here?
Just like hollywood TV shows, the nfl has pre-game production meetings. It's entertainment.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TAB420":1yheh4p0 said:
When the Jets tried to sue the NFL, didn't they state that they had a right to make games close? Didn't they also say that the NFL is under an entertainment license instead of a sporting license? I thought I read that on here?

When did the Jets try to sue the NFL?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Make up? No.

But I imagine Shanahan had a nice long conversation during the week with Riveron, the head of NFL Officiating about the Hawk's O-linemen grabbing and holding too much having just played us two weeks ago.........and Morelli and his crew was calling a tight game.

I'd prefer the refs let the players play and decide games, but some crews are just like that, and Morelli's crew is the worst offender of those kind of questionable ticky tack calls.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The only call I really have a complaint against was the one on Shaq. That was a clean pass break up and Ref threw it anyway. Ref had his mind made up that was going to be a first down.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2nl9y2ca said:
The only call I really have a complaint against was the one on Shaq. That was a clean pass break up and Ref threw it anyway. Ref had his mind made up that was going to be a first down.

Agreed. That was an egregious error by the ref at the worst possible time. Terrible call.

And it's gotten to the point a DB can't do a damn thing anymore. I can't believe this is what the league wants, with so many flags every single game. It just makes for an awful viewing experience.

On a related note, I watched on YouTube recently a 1979 Steelers Cowboys game and I had forgotten how much better games were to watch back then. There were only about 4 flags the whole game, just for off sides. I understand the league wanting penalties for safety, but my gosh has everything gotten so out of hand for holding, PI, defensive holding, etc. Slows the game down, ruins any flow and makes half the games boring to watch.

ivotuk

Reaction score
A bunch of stupid penalties, and stupid plays. We should have overcome all the overzealous Referees bullshit, but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times!

Given all that, the call against Shaquem was utter, complete bullshit. It was a bail out call by the Referee to get SF a 1st down.

Shaquem: "I knew they were looking to call something, so I made sure my hands were clear and I knocked the ball out. The ref looked at me, and threw the flag."

He was upset, as he should be.

There are those that we that we shouldn't be complaining about refereeing. To that I say, tell that to the people in power. NFLN, ESPN, CBS, NBC, and every other sports network that keeps "Whining" about "The Seahawks got away with this! The Seahawks got away with that!"

This week on NFLN, headline "VP of officiating said Bobby Wagner should have been penalized on blocked kick."

As if that was what lost Minnesota the game.

Then there was "KJ Wright should have gotten a penalty for tipping the ball out of the end zone!" OMG! OMG! OMG!

If not for THAT, Seattle would have lost every game for the rest of it's life! {Sorry for the hyperbole, but they started it! SO there!} :p

Then of course there was the "Richard Sherman got away with a hold on Julio Jones!! OMG! OMG!"

And I love on how all of their videos, the cut out the part where Julio pushed off. There was even one where they cut in Richard covering Julio from a completely different play to make it look like he was innocent!" Talk about lack of journalistic integrity!

And of course there was the infamous "Fail Mary." Ancient history, so who cares. But they love to bring that one back up.

Hey, what about the uncalled, blatant OPI against Green Bay that helped put them ahead? But noooo, we have to concentrate on the one that "Seattle got away with!" As if that was the ONLY reason Green Bay lost.

I hear this all the time from the talking heads, "You cannot let the game come down to one play!" They should take their own advice.