Seattle borrowing plays from the Rams...with a twist?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Im no play design expert, but I know the Rams use a lot of jet sweep/fake jet sweep handoff to RB/fake jet sweep pass. I never noticed Seattle doing this untila few games ago but they've beem doing it a lot lately. But it seems like they're combining it with the read option to add another wrinkle. I really like this new addition but I think it needs work, we're not as succesful as the Rams are with it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think it’s something Pete has wanted to add since, at least, the days of Harvin. It’s a big part of why we brought in Prosise.

For whatever reason (coaches? players?) we just haven’t been able to successfully integrate Pete’s vision into our offense.

Smellyman

Reaction score
In the first at least and it was working then it was abandoned.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have done it since Harvin, Schotty just designs it better and they execute it better then having a guy standing still while the defense converges and blows up the blockers. Spreading the defense allows for more running lanes and makes the CB's and Safeties have to honor motion and switch up.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
They need to run that jet sweep with Penny. Have both he and Carson in on certain plays with Penny in a wingback set. Have Penny sweep across and sometimes give it to him, sometimes fake it with him and quick pitch to Carson the opposite direction. Would keep the defense guessing and not knowing who’s getting the ball.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":uaxj49ak said:
They need to run that jet sweep with Penny. Have both he and Carson in on certain plays with Penny in a wingback set. Have Penny sweep across and sometimes give it to him, sometimes fake it with him and quick pitch to Carson the opposite direction. Would keep the defense guessing and not knowing who’s getting the ball.
Yes. Penny is better at turning the corner. Lockett is needed as the deep threat to clear that side.
I'm sure Shotty and Pete intended to hold back these creative installs for playoffs. They had Fant as a blocking TE catching in practices.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There's no reason why you can't steal sets of plays. I say sets because you want runs and passes out of the same structure, i.e. same formations and same pre-snap motions. If you get the formation and pre-snap motion down for multiple plays, you can keep them quessing and make the defense choose, which is the goal, if not make them misread or guess wrong (simple smash mouth/PA included).

Coaches can and do learn things. There's no such thing as a dumb ass static football offensive or defensive "system." A set of plays is just a set of plays. Certain things work vs different defensive fronts and coverages.

Edit: Personnel tends to dictate a bit too. Forgot that part, if the coaches can be a little dynamic.

Fade

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3budzfo2 said:

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, and yes, they should be doing this.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Copycat league, always has been. Shoot, the Rams coach flat out said he stole plays from College teams. Shoot, why not?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2vm3y0wv said:

I accept your apology. So you like Penny now? You thought he was trash just 8 weeks ago. Funny how things change now that he is leading the team at 5.1ypc. 8)

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":qjue01mv said:
West TX Hawk":qjue01mv said:

I accept your apology. So you like Penny now? You thought he was trash just 8 weeks ago. Funny how things change now that he is leading the team at 5.1ypc. 8)

Thats my Rookie getting after it. With a bum ankle none the less. Although his Super Mario runs are getting redonkulous. If he finds a way to go vertical for 83 yds, he's going to go from being a weapon to being a nuclear warhead.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Panthers use a lot of similar plays. It helps if you have a McCaffrey. It is entirely possible that we do in Penny. Similar size, weight, and speed, with Penny being a little heavier and a marginally faster.

WarHawks

Reaction score
There's a saying that mediocre artists copy, and great artists steal (i.e. borrow a general idea and make it their own).

Here's to stealing! :snack:

sutz

Reaction score
It's a copy cat league. When something works, other teams try it. The thing is, they have to tweak things a bit to fit their own personnel.

:229031_shrug:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2i2fdvzy said:
West TX Hawk":2i2fdvzy said:

You can take an apology and shove it up Eddie Lacy and Kiero Small. I commented several times on Penny's exceptional perimeter running. He's got a ways to go before he's a dependable between the tackles runner and nowhere near Carson's strength and YAC.

And you're damn right I was critical of Penny because he was struggling badly early on and nowhere exemplifying the traits of a 1st round back. If you're drafted that high, you better be able to take the heat. But Penny is greatly improving, I want him to succeed and I've commented multiple times wanting to see plays with both of them in there and a jet sweep option would be ideal.

You on the other hand, are obsessed with certain players to the point of eccentric oddity and will criticize their teammates and hope they fail just to promote "your guy." What a bizarre way to root for a team.