Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Grabbing Helmet area

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
They keep talking about the blocked FG and How the refs screwed that call, but what about the phantom face mask-ish penalty they called on Wagz that gave Minny a fresh set of downs?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Or the bogus unnecessary roughness penalty on Ifedi for a Vikes 1st down when he wasn't even involved' AND, it should have been against Minnesota.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
I scratched my junk during halftime.

I was given a stern warning but no penalty.

Could have changed the entire outcome of the evening.

I'm thankful.

pmedic920

Reaction score
semiahmoo":29qjec4s said:

I'm thankful.

In your own words, great contribution.

Got anything of value to add to the conversation?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
pmedic920":1208i1m0 said:
semiahmoo":1208i1m0 said:

I'm thankful.

In your own words, great contribution.

Got anything of value to add to the conversation?

It's a circular logic kind of thing related to all the Wagz whining.

Give it some time.

You'll get there...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think the ref might have messed up the language, but it's the "helmet opening" rule (which is a dumb term, but what it's called).

Just like grabbing a facemask, if you get your hand up under the helmet while tackling it's a 15 yard penalty.

If you watch the replay, he briefly grabs on up from under the back of Cook's helmet.

It's basically the facemask rule, but for the bottom of the helmet and the ear holes.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It’s a legit penalty. I’m not sure that what BWagz did qualifies as he clearly did not grasp, or control the head with it, but he did bring his fingers into near proximity to the opening of the helmet. I’d give it a 5/10 on the BS-call-o-meter.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3lz3i02p said:
It’s a legit penalty. I’m not sure that what BWagz did qualifies as he clearly did not grasp, or control the head with it, but he did bring his fingers into near proximity to the opening of the helmet. I’d give it a 5/10 on the BS-call-o-meter.

Yeah, kinda my read on it too.

It's the back of the helmet equivalent of a facemask call when a guy gets his fingers in there but but gets them back out with only very minimal tuggage. I'd rather they let those ones go but they call them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It was a rubbish call. The whole audience, at the game, and on TV thought it was a clean tackle.

There were other equally egregious calls throughout the game. Thankfully it made zero difference to the outcome.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Grabbing the inside of the helmet is a penalty. It can be just as dangerous as a facemask. That said, I didn't see a facemask or a grab on the inside of the helmet.

potatohead

Reaction score
So I’m guessing you didn’t see the actual real facemask by BW like two plays later that didn’t get called? Homer eyes big time.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
potatohead":1bb4mri2 said:
So I’m guessing you didn’t see the actual real facemask by BW like two plays later that didn’t get called? Homer eyes big time.

Nope saw that, but it was just a makeup no call for the garbage helmet opening call being discussed.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
potatohead":3bqnn8nc said:

WTF! Yeah I saw it. Should have been called. Man what an idiot thing to say.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2es227j1 said:

I've never seen that call before, but it's in the rule book. The refs are starting to enforce it now because we're seeing more guys tackling by grabbing the helmet and yanking the ball carrier down. My guess is this is coming from the league office to crack down on it. No better place to start then MNF when the whole league is watching...

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If ESPN is complaining about a call against a Seahawks opponent ' It means it was a fairly officiated game ' . I saw a torrid of horrible calls over the weekend. This game was well called with 3 exceptions . Two that went against Seattle and one against the Vikings. Forget you ESPN translate that .

253hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3rouougr said:
Wagner never grabbed the helmet. Ref was guessing and failed.

I don't even know how they saw what they only thought they saw amidst a sea of flying dreads.

Bad calls all around for both sides, but of course the media only latches onto the ones that benefited the Seahawks and literally cost Minnesota the game. :roll: