Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Pete flipping the scales again

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 am
  • Ok we know Pete has always wanted the run game to be a focus and to balance things, Wilson was forced to put up the ball and his numbers reflect the difference in not having a run game the past years.


    But take a step back, led the charge for bigger CB's and lighter D lineman with faster and lighter LB's, 7 years later the league has did what it does almost everywhere and adopted what we did.


    Pete liked the ZBS from his days at USC, had Gibbs, lost Gibbs right away, had Solari and wanted him to be a TE's coach instead of the Line because of Gibbs, Solari went to New York and they had a decent Run game for a bit then things imploded there.

    Cable was brought I since he was a disciple of Gibbs, The league changed the rules and Cable didn't adapt, Bevell also hamstrung the offense, lobbying for Harvin and then Graham.


    The Rules changed but Cable didn't.

    To think what we could have had with Zack Miller, and I still think we go get Lynch, if we had Kept Solari back then, and then the only missing piece would have been the OC, don't think Schotty was available then he was still a OC for the Jets, but a WCO guy that had actually did something could have I think worked out, if Schotty would have been hired having Miller here with the pieces we had and not wasting the draft picks to try and push Cables desire and Bevells missing piece we may have been unstoppable on offense and a wall on defense.


    Got off track a bit sorry,

    What we have now as I think about it is the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

    Think about it.

    Wilson very Griese like. Yes I know Morral played a lot that year because of a injury to Greise.

    Carson runs much like Czonka

    Davis much like Morris

    Penny much better then Jim Kiick

    Lockett Warfield like

    Dickson, Vannett, Dissley all better then Fleming

    Baldwin like Twilley

    Where we don't match up yet is the defense, but I am focused on the offense, they brutalized opponents with the run and then Warfield and Twilley made them look silly.

    Defenses now much lighter are susceptible to a punishing run game, we have road graders for O lineman now and don't try to get cute making them dive for peoples legs, we pull Guards and trap block. Run power sweeps. Throw in Fant and Dissley before he was hurt and you have three hundred of close to it lead blockers taking on 23 to 245 pound LB's many times. D lineman are now 260 TO 270 many times also Safeties and CB's that want no part of taking on the blocker to give their team mates a lane to tackle the ball carrier.


    They have to stack the box to hope to stall the run and then Baldwin and Lockett and others can shine, Seam routes with TE's etc.


    The offense is still a work in progress, those wanting more passes will get them this second half due to teams having to load up with the run focus, Baldwin healthy and Dickson showing he is healthy again should get more touches for Lockett and Moore as well.

    We are going to be with Moore learning the game a pick your poison offense for teams to look at, we also have Brown who really has not broke thru here in the wings.

    We may not make a lot of noise this year, but we are setting the table, teams won't look at us hard till we are a playoff team again, Pete is ahead of the curve again with the Running game, now that it is paying dividends we will ride it for a while, the defense will have to catch up to the offense this time around. When it does we will dominate for a while as the league once again plays catch up and copy Pete.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25400
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 am
  • Good read thx
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1657
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:41 am
  • This man put in some work. Good read man.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2200
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 am
  • The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8296
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.



    Pete always said he liked the ball control of the WCO, Walsh just had Taylor, Rice, Jones and a Game Manager named Montana, you can't forget they had Wendell Tyler and Watters as well, Hearst was there also and Roger Craig over the years. They had a running game, without those receivers they may have been a bit more balanced then the 65 percent they threw the ball.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25400
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:57 am
  • I've been saying all season that there is value in being a power running team in the modern NFL where no one else is a power running team. I'm glad more people are seeing the light because you are 100% correct Chris, there isn't a defense in the league built to stop the power running game anymore, every team is built around stopping the spread.

    If I was going to make a comparison I would lean toward the college ranks and look at Alabama. Massive offensive line, multiple running backs, limited pass game (most seasons), playmaking QB with good decision making, fast aggressive defense.

    Obviously, Alabama has the ability to recruit better players but Nick Saban's philosophy is the main reason why I think that his teams have been so successful. Seriously, anyone who says a team built around the power running game can't work in the NFL because the league is becoming more like the spread offenses in college needs to realize what the best team in college has been doing for the last 10 years...
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1431
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.



    Pete always said he liked the ball control of the WCO, Walsh just had Taylor, Rice, Jones and a Game Manager named Montana, you can't forget they had Wendell Tyler and Watters as well, Hearst was there also and Roger Craig over the years. They had a running game, without those receivers they may have been a bit more balanced then the 65 percent they threw the ball.


    Very good points. I recall that Ninah team from back when. They were good setting up the run by the pass.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8296
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 pm
  • I have been on the same wave length, most teams' defense these days are designed to stop the passes. Few had the personnel to stop power runs, Pete has been trying the leverage that. OK, he failed in the past two years, but we are on track again.

    Walsh's WCO came out in an era when most teams' defense were designed to stop the power runs, his short passes leveraged that. Bobb McKittrick's smart, quick, athletic and often undersized linemen were designed to work with Walsh's WCO.

    Walsh was labelled as an offense genius, I would like to call Pete a defense genius or guru; they actually liked each other.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.

    Some revisionist history here. First, the current Seahawks don't really run a true WCO. Second, Bill Walsh wasn't a passing run and gun at all. True, he was a genius at creating open receivers, but he relied on the run game, and his running backs as much as Pete.

    For instance, in the 1984 SB winning season, the 49ers were 3rd in the league in rushing yards and 6th in attempts, and 4th in the league in passing yards, and 16th in attempts.

    Their leading running back was Wendell Tyler, and their backup was a young Roger Craig. Tyler had 1,262 yards with a 5.1 ypa! Craig was, however, their leading receiver with 71 catches.

    In 1988, another SB winning year under Walsh, they again were a top rushing team, at #2 in the league and 7th in the league in attempts, with the passing game coming in at #10 in total yards, and #15 in total attempts.

    That year, Roger Craig was their leading RB with 1,502 yards and a 4.8 ypa. He was again the leading receiver (yes, over Jerry Rice) with 76 receptions. Of note, Roger Craig, while leading the team in total receptions only gained 7 ypr, while Jerry Rice (64 receptions) gained over 20 ypr, and John Taylor at over 23 ypr.

    Seems to me, Pete and Shotty totally have the right WCO winning formula, with the exception of not utilizing the RB in the passing game enough. Maybe that's the next part of the formula to show itself.

    *
    *
    As an aside, it's interesting to take a look at the following year, 1989, under first-year HC George Siefert and again a SB winning team. He flipped things a bit. The 49ers were #1 in total offense, and #2 in total passing yards, but only #20 in total passing attempts. They were also way down in total rushing yards at #10 in the league and #13 in rushing attempts.

    The leading rusher that year was again, Roger Craig, but he dropped in carries and total yards. Jerry Rice became the leader in receptions (82) and total yards (1,483), with Roger Craig dropping all the way to 4th, with the FB, Tom Rathman overtaking Craig as the leading RB receiver.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9839
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.

    Some revisionist history here. First, the current Seahawks don't really run a true WCO. Second, Bill Walsh wasn't a passing run and gun at all. True, he was a genius at creating open receivers, but he relied on the run game, and his running backs as much as Pete.

    For instance, in the 1984 SB winning season, the 49ers were 3rd in the league in rushing yards and 6th in attempts, and 4th in the league in passing yards, and 16th in attempts.

    Their leading running back was Wendell Tyler, and their backup was a young Roger Craig. Tyler had 1,262 yards with a 5.1 ypa! Craig was, however, their leading receiver with 71 catches.

    In 1988, another SB winning year under Walsh, they again were a top rushing team, at #2 in the league and 7th in the league in attempts, with the passing game coming in at #10 in total yards, and #15 in total attempts.

    That year, Roger Craig was their leading RB with 1,502 yards and a 4.8 ypa. He was again the leading receiver (yes, over Jerry Rice) with 76 receptions. Of note, Roger Craig, while leading the team in total receptions only gained 7 ypr, while Jerry Rice (64 receptions) gained over 20 ypr, and John Taylor at over 23 ypr.

    Seems to me, Pete and Shotty totally have the right WCO winning formula, with the exception of not utilizing the RB in the passing game enough. Maybe that's the next part of the formula to show itself.

    *
    *
    As an aside, it's interesting to take a look at the following year, 1989, under first-year HC George Siefert and again a SB winning team. He flipped things a bit. The 49ers were #1 in total offense, and #2 in total passing yards, but only #20 in total passing attempts. They were also way down in total rushing yards at #10 in the league and #13 in rushing attempts.

    The leading rusher that year was again, Roger Craig, but he dropped in carries and total yards. Jerry Rice became the leader in receptions (82) and total yards (1,483), with Roger Craig dropping all the way to 4th, with the FB, Tom Rathman overtaking Craig as the leading RB receiver.


    I HATE STATISTICS.....that said..I can appreciate these. In 1984, I was unavailable. So these bring to light what the OP means. Thank you. I appreciate the ground work.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8296
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm
  • I'm tellin' ya, we're running the table and going 11-5. Maker my words!
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6604
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Some revisionist history here. First, the current Seahawks don't really run a true WCO. Second, Bill Walsh wasn't a passing run and gun at all. True, he was a genius at creating open receivers, but he relied on the run game, and his running backs as much as Pete.

    For instance, in the 1984 SB winning season, the 49ers were 3rd in the league in rushing yards and 6th in attempts, and 4th in the league in passing yards, and 16th in attempts.

    Their leading running back was Wendell Tyler, and their backup was a young Roger Craig. Tyler had 1,262 yards with a 5.1 ypa! Craig was, however, their leading receiver with 71 catches.

    In 1988, another SB winning year under Walsh, they again were a top rushing team, at #2 in the league and 7th in the league in attempts, with the passing game coming in at #10 in total yards, and #15 in total attempts.

    That year, Roger Craig was their leading RB with 1,502 yards and a 4.8 ypa. He was again the leading receiver (yes, over Jerry Rice) with 76 receptions. Of note, Roger Craig, while leading the team in total receptions only gained 7 ypr, while Jerry Rice (64 receptions) gained over 20 ypr, and John Taylor at over 23 ypr.

    Seems to me, Pete and Shotty totally have the right WCO winning formula, with the exception of not utilizing the RB in the passing game enough. Maybe that's the next part of the formula to show itself.

    *
    *
    As an aside, it's interesting to take a look at the following year, 1989, under first-year HC George Siefert and again a SB winning team. He flipped things a bit. The 49ers were #1 in total offense, and #2 in total passing yards, but only #20 in total passing attempts. They were also way down in total rushing yards at #10 in the league and #13 in rushing attempts.

    The leading rusher that year was again, Roger Craig, but he dropped in carries and total yards. Jerry Rice became the leader in receptions (82) and total yards (1,483), with Roger Craig dropping all the way to 4th, with the FB, Tom Rathman overtaking Craig as the leading RB receiver.


    I HATE STATISTICS.....that said..I can appreciate these. In 1984, I was unavailable. So these bring to light what the OP means. Thank you. I appreciate the ground work.


    I understand. Mostly I'm using them to show my point. I grew up near Sacramento and was a huge 49ers fan till I moved up to the Seattle area 20 years ago, so I followed them quite closely, right up till the league forced DeBartolo out as owner and put in the idiotic York family.

    I happen to be moving back there at the end of the month, but I'm staying a Seahawks fan and keeping my season tickets going.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9839
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:Some revisionist history here. First, the current Seahawks don't really run a true WCO. Second, Bill Walsh wasn't a passing run and gun at all. True, he was a genius at creating open receivers, but he relied on the run game, and his running backs as much as Pete.

    For instance, in the 1984 SB winning season, the 49ers were 3rd in the league in rushing yards and 6th in attempts, and 4th in the league in passing yards, and 16th in attempts.

    Their leading running back was Wendell Tyler, and their backup was a young Roger Craig. Tyler had 1,262 yards with a 5.1 ypa! Craig was, however, their leading receiver with 71 catches.

    In 1988, another SB winning year under Walsh, they again were a top rushing team, at #2 in the league and 7th in the league in attempts, with the passing game coming in at #10 in total yards, and #15 in total attempts.

    That year, Roger Craig was their leading RB with 1,502 yards and a 4.8 ypa. He was again the leading receiver (yes, over Jerry Rice) with 76 receptions. Of note, Roger Craig, while leading the team in total receptions only gained 7 ypr, while Jerry Rice (64 receptions) gained over 20 ypr, and John Taylor at over 23 ypr.

    Seems to me, Pete and Shotty totally have the right WCO winning formula, with the exception of not utilizing the RB in the passing game enough. Maybe that's the next part of the formula to show itself.

    *
    *
    As an aside, it's interesting to take a look at the following year, 1989, under first-year HC George Siefert and again a SB winning team. He flipped things a bit. The 49ers were #1 in total offense, and #2 in total passing yards, but only #20 in total passing attempts. They were also way down in total rushing yards at #10 in the league and #13 in rushing attempts.

    The leading rusher that year was again, Roger Craig, but he dropped in carries and total yards. Jerry Rice became the leader in receptions (82) and total yards (1,483), with Roger Craig dropping all the way to 4th, with the FB, Tom Rathman overtaking Craig as the leading RB receiver.


    I HATE STATISTICS.....that said..I can appreciate these. In 1984, I was unavailable. So these bring to light what the OP means. Thank you. I appreciate the ground work.


    I understand. Mostly I'm using them to show my point. I grew up near Sacramento and was a huge 49ers fan till I moved up to the Seattle area 20 years ago, so I followed them quite closely, right up till the league forced DeBartolo out as owner and put in the idiotic York family.

    I happen to be moving back there at the end of the month, but I'm staying a Seahawks fan and keeping my season tickets going.


    I like the York family right where they were...are...uh um...Yanno. :stirthepot: :twisted: :twisted:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8296
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 am
  • The Cowboys went 13-3 a couple years ago with one of the most dominant running games in history and a rookie 4th round QB to boot. The Hawks have a dominant running game and a young defense with a better QB. The Hawks have taken their lumps but are ready to put it all together for the stretch. The Panthers and Vikings games are critical NFC match ups. These next two weeks will determine if the Hawks are a contender.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5877
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:03 am
  • I enjoyed the original post. Well done sir. :2thumbs:
    When nothing good is happening, change is always good.
    User avatar
    PasteyNuTTeR
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 182
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:30 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:00 pm
  • I really like this team. Max kudos to the running game.
    We are built for a run.
    The D is still a work in progress. It will take another off season to regain form.
    User avatar
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78
     
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 3:44 pm
    Location: Smokey Point


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:18 pm
  • LudwigsDrummer wrote:I really like this team. Max kudos to the running game.
    We are built for a run.
    The D is still a work in progress. It will take another off season to regain form.


    2nd line is almost a repeat of the first line. :P
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1970
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm
  • Wow. What a great read. A good post from you as usual. I like the Dolphins comparison, but will nitpick a bit. Carson is much faster than Csonka was. Man was he slow. but yeah both effective power runners. I would also say Davis is a fair bit slower than Mercury Morris. That dude was insanely fast and the moves he could put on. I would liken him more to Penny. Lockett does look a lot like their wideout. Anyway cool. Yeah. They were something to watch. Griese had some Wilson like qualties.

    I like the overall perspective of your post walking us through the different Assistant coaches. Yes. Pete figured out this is a good time to get some big dudes and run it down the throat of these new era defenses. It's been fun to watch guys like Ndamakong Suh get knocked on their ass. Great stuff. Thanks,
    User avatar
    capncrunch
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 316
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:47 am
    Location: Vienna, VA


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:33 pm
  • Football has always run in cycles. I remember the run and shoot era of the early 90's teams countered by going 3-4 with light players all over the place. Then the Cowboys and Packers came along with big olines and just pushed around the lighter Dlines. The same thing has happened in today's NFL DE can weigh 260 pounds and still be effective. How to you take Von Miller out of the game? You run at him and hit him with 700 pounds of human every play, by the 4th QTR he will not be the same player.

    The money ball or Pete ball aspect of this is now the Seahawks are looking for players that no other team is looking for. I think they are going to let Fluker walk if he wants too much money (injury risk being the main reason) They will be able to bring in players like Fluker who doesn't fit in pass-happy offense but will thrive in the Seahawks system. Don't forget the Seahawks will be adding a second draft of Mike Solari linemen too. Money ball Pete Ball is about finding the hidden value and I think the Seahawks got that going right now.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2200
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm
  • capncrunch wrote:Wow. What a great read. A good post from you as usual. I like the Dolphins comparison, but will nitpick a bit. Carson is much faster than Csonka was. Man was he slow. but yeah both effective power runners. I would also say Davis is a fair bit slower than Mercury Morris. That dude was insanely fast and the moves he could put on. I would liken him more to Penny. Lockett does look a lot like their wideout. Anyway cool. Yeah. They were something to watch. Griese had some Wilson like qualties.

    I like the overall perspective of your post walking us through the different Assistant coaches. Yes. Pete figured out this is a good time to get some big dudes and run it down the throat of these new era defenses. It's been fun to watch guys like Ndamakong Suh get knocked on their ass. Great stuff. Thanks,


    Czonka had more power, Carson is more physical in a weird sense of angry physical deliverying hits as he hits. Morris was faster but Davis I think has a better lateral quickness and darting style, Kiick was the forgotton guy by many, Penny was also the forgotton guy here, for a little while :P


    All six are a bit different it in absolute styles, Penny is just smooth, much like Walter Payton was, I would like him to learn to finish runs like Walter did. Edit to add thinking about it he has a lot of OJ Simpson look to him but not the long strider OJ was.


    Czonka would just kinda walk thru the line lowered his pads and inflict punishment as more and more guys piled on him he had some powerful legs and leg drive.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25400
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:The only discrepancy I could see in this concept is the fact the WCO is more a passing run and gun type of offense. I dont think that PC would have liked or let that happen. I believe that he would have demanded a running attack no matter what as it breeds total control of the ball. Time of Possession is controlled by keeping the clock running and running plays have a better chance of doing just that. Dink and dunk plays help in that regard but are risky I think he would say.

    The rest of the post is great stuff...Kudos.



    Pete always said he liked the ball control of the WCO, Walsh just had Taylor, Rice, Jones and a Game Manager named Montana, you can't forget they had Wendell Tyler and Watters as well, Hearst was there also and Roger Craig over the years. They had a running game, without those receivers they may have been a bit more balanced then the 65 percent they threw the ball.


    Very good points. I recall that Ninah team from back when. They were good setting up the run by the pass.


    They had a pretty good run/pass mix. Craig had one year of 1,000 yds rushing/1,000 yds receiving I believe. incredible year.
    User avatar
    OrangeGravy
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 83
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Pete always said he liked the ball control of the WCO, Walsh just had Taylor, Rice, Jones and a Game Manager named Montana, you can't forget they had Wendell Tyler and Watters as well, Hearst was there also and Roger Craig over the years. They had a running game, without those receivers they may have been a bit more balanced then the 65 percent they threw the ball.


    Very good points. I recall that Ninah team from back when. They were good setting up the run by the pass.


    They had a pretty good run/pass mix. Craig had one year of 1,000 yds rushing/1,000 yds receiving I believe. incredible year.

    See my post a little earlier.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9839
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 am
  • Great write up.

    He’s always had that run first approach. That’s old school and definitely frustrates several on .net who wants to see more passes and spread offenses so they can load up on their fantasy fball numbers.

    But I digress.

    On defense, didn’t PC say he really developed his kick step, single high safety philosophy as the DB coach with the Vikings?

    And, didn’t he create the Elephant/Leo position as the DC with the Niners? Or was it with the NY Jets? In any case, he always had a fast DE who would bring the heat.

    It was Jeff Lageman w/the Jets and Rickey Jackson & Chris Doleman with the Niners.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 778
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 am
  • As frustrating as it was after the first two games, he owned up to it and is now doing exactly what he said he would do.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 pm
  • One thing I really enjoyed about this game was Aikman waxing poetic about how underrated Doug Baldwin is and also saying—twice—that he thinks this is some of the best coaching Pete has done.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6862
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm
  • it's a thing of beauty, going against the nfl grain, and having a power run game.

    and with russ there to throw multiple TD passes per game, it's a potent offense.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1419
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:I'm tellin' ya, we're running the table and going 11-5. Maker my words!


    Is this an idiom gone wrong by way of spellcheck?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3305
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I'm tellin' ya, we're running the table and going 11-5. Maker my words!


    Is this an idiom gone wrong by way of spellcheck?

    It started a few years back with a guy that may have been from another country or just had many spelling/grammatical errors. This one caught on.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9839
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I'm tellin' ya, we're running the table and going 11-5. Maker my words!


    Is this an idiom gone wrong by way of spellcheck?

    It started a few years back with a guy that may have been from another country or just had many spelling/grammatical errors. This one caught on.


    Whew! I thought it was odd that it kept cropping up again and again like malicious code was inserted. :lol:
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3305
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 pm
  • Whatsyurprob, Les used to use it all the time in fun, Lovejoy / Whatyurprob was a classic guy, was an expert at everything.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25400
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm
  • Matt Hass is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

    Maker my word.
    ____________
    BLUE and GREEN...
    User avatar
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1970
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:Matt Hass is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

    Maker my word.

    LOLOL... classic.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9839
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am
  • PasteyNuTTeR wrote:I enjoyed the original post. Well done sir. :2thumbs:


    Indeed. :2thumbs:

    I love the fact that if we don't have the best players to execute what everybody does on offense, we then try to beat them with something they are not used to see every week.

    Go Hawks!
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: Adopt a Rookie 2018

    Living below sealevel: The only way is up!
    Zeearend
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:20 am
    Location: 3 meters below sea level


Re: Pete flipping the scales again
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am
  • PasteyNuTTer. Out fricken standing screen name :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10744
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA




It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information