Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Defense

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Defense
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm
  • Hey team,

Iam really excited about the defense. They are young and will get better. Green and Martin are getting playing time and producing Jordan may wind up as the odd man out. Shame has athleticism however not much use if always injured. Nazir Jones seems odd man out at defensive tackle I liked him the coaches seem to like other guys. However Clark and Reed are going to lead this young group to great things. the secondary is young but looks to have the right stuff shame Earl will not serve as the senior leader. However McDougal is doing well in that role. This group is going to doe very well. Of course at linebacker we still have Bobby and KJ two of the best. Look for this defense to emerge as elite.
    tersal
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Defense
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 pm
  • I think we need to re-up Fluker and Sweezy on O and draft defense this year. I'll be interested to see if they sign Kendricks on the cheap and let KJ walk.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:37 pm
  • Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. Furthermore, they are not forcing turnovers as they were earlier in the year. They can and need to be better.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. They can and need to be better.

I agree, but not surprising with no Bennett, Avril, Kam, KJ, Thomas, Sherman, Richardson. Wow, what a turnover.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. Furthermore, they are not forcing turnovers as they were earlier in the year. They can and need to be better.

3 points in the second half

5 sacks.

Rodgers looked like trash with nowhere to throw the ball in the 2nd half.

They struggled at times in the fist half, but that second half from the front 7 all the way back was pure gold.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. They can and need to be better.

I agree, but not surprising with no Bennett, Avril, Kam, KJ, Thomas, Sherman, Richardson. Wow, what a turnover.

They were playing much better without those guys prior to the Chargers game. Since then they have been playing poor defensively (that has been since KJ Wright has come back). Losing Thomas and Kendricks has brought the defense down a few notches.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm
  • I'm not sure what to think of this defense. I only they're young and hungry for the most part, but the linebackers and the secondary are WEAK! Bobby isn't the Bobby we've been accustomed to. The same goes for KJ, although he just recently retired from a forever long absence due to his knee. I never thought I'd say this, but Kendricks is what this LB group is missing. He was a force.

But what I'm really worried about is the progress, or lack thereof of Shaquill. He's been so bad this year. The defense has been eaten alive by the deep in routes lately, and it seems Shaq is always the culprit. The one that stands out the most is the big gauger that Woods had last week. Shaq backpedaled with Woods deep into the route and let him cut in freely. Was that by design? I'm not sure. I thought that the Chicago game was a big step up for him when he had those two picks. He actually turned his head and played the ball. I feel like I haven't seen him turn his head since then. And that was a big problem for him last year, too.

Flowers is still extremely raw, but that's too be expected since CB is an entirely new position for him. Considering the circumstances, he have been that bad.

IMO, Shaquill is the weakest link of this defense, and it's not even close.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:IMO, Shaquill is the weakest link of this defense, and it's not even close.

worse than Tedrick Tompson?
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:IMO, Shaquill is the weakest link of this defense, and it's not even close.

worse than Tedrick Tompson?

I like what Tedric is doing. He's raw as well, but he's come up big at times. Plus, he has some serious lumber behind his hits. Unlike Shaq, we don't have an extended body of work to tell if he's progressing.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:28 am
  • Yeah, there have been some problems, but we've been playing the best QBs in our generation over the last few weeks.

I think I might give them a bit of a pass. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Run defense was good and they did sack Rodgers 5 times but disappointed in the pass defense. Randall Cobb was out, Graham got injured, and they still got 311 yards passing on the Seahawks. The breaker was a 4th string, PS TE getting behind the defense for a deep TD. Unacceptable. LB play has been atrocious. They have not been playing well defensively (secondary and middle) since the Chargers game. Furthermore, they are not forcing turnovers as they were earlier in the year. They can and need to be better.

Meh...I see what your saying BUT its Rodgers. The guy is a elite SB champion and future hall of famer. I would worry if it was a back up QB.
    hawks85
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 am
  • I like Kendricks and want him back. I'm a big Wagner fan and i'd say give him a chance next year, his injury is probably still hindering him this year and i'm worried he might aggravate it. What is sad is now that I think about it if we had ET and the Seahawks played similarly against the Rams and Chargers we could be 8-2 and not 5-5. He could have been the tipping point.

I agree about being worried about the progression of some of these young players. The secondary hasn't looked good and we have no pass rush. I like where the offense sits right now a lot actually. It seems like we have all the pieces in place for the future but I still hate Ifedi and am sad we lost Dissly. All they need to do is draft well and get some diamonds in free agency for defense and they could be on the right track.
    calinator
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am
  • Next Gen presentations on the two big play passes referenced by previous above posts ...............

The two worst case explosive outcomes out of the 49 defensive plays.

Bobby Wagner denied a deep pass to Davante Adams. A long time and distance to cover. Probably didn't get enough mention.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 pm

• Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm
  • IMO, Bobby is still playing at a high level. I think KJ will too, but still needs a little more time to recover from injuries. I suspect hes playing banged up. I believe our secondary is weak at the moment, young and learning. It looks to me like Shaquil hasn't quite got a grasp on where and when he needs to be, seems like he is always a little out of place. Hopefully it's just a little bit of a Sophmore slump and he will continue improving.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 pm
  • It was nice to play GB without anyone jumping offsides a couple of times. I always hated giving Rogers a free play.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 pm
  • sutz wrote:Yeah, there have been some problems, but we've been playing the best QBs in our generation over the last few weeks.

I think I might give them a bit of a pass. ;)

I agree. We they have been tested early. I have been critical about the talent level but maybe these young guys will develop.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 pm
  • Couple things that I liked last night. Coleman played like a beast against the Packers WR screens. Thought he didn't really have a great game against the Rams but last night he balled out.

Our two rookie LB's might be our future starters. Martin is looking like he can play in Avril's position and produce. Calitro has been filling in great for KJ. As much as I hate to say it but Wright may be on his way out. Only worry is I hope both rooks are not over achieving.

Edit: Guess Calitro is a sophomore not a rookie. Still young though.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:06 am
  • D gave up THREE first downs the entire 2nd half. THREE
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:22 am
  • Martin, Calitro, Green, Jordan, Jackson, Ford, Jones, and Thompson are all playing at replacement level right now. There's not a single one of them that wouldn't be readily supplanted by a veteran signing, a first-round draft pick, or a Kam-type late round gem.

Sure, they lay the wood...in between plays in which they totally misdiagnose things and get out of position. Jordan Babineaux Part Deux. They're especially bad first half. They've done a much better job cleaning up in the second, but their first half problems are leading to a lot of attrition.

Can they improve? Possibly. But they need to, quickly. Otherwise, if this team goes to the Super Bowl in 2019, the pieces on defense that will enable that run probably are not all on the team yet.
    Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 am
  • Our guys on the field are playing good, but give credit where credit is due. Mr. Ken Norton jr. One hellva coach!
    Cheers
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 am
  • The D shows up at times but rarely have it together for the majority of the game. Its going to take time to cease the erratic play, but I like the fight and adapting that they do.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Martin, Calitro, Green, Jordan, Jackson, Ford, Jones, and Thompson are all playing at replacement level right now. There's not a single one of them that wouldn't be readily supplanted by a veteran signing, a first-round draft pick, or a Kam-type late round gem.

Sure, they lay the wood...in between plays in which they totally misdiagnose things and get out of position. Jordan Babineaux Part Deux. They're especially bad first half. They've done a much better job cleaning up in the second, but their first half problems are leading to a lot of attrition.

Can they improve? Possibly. But they need to, quickly. Otherwise, if this team goes to the Super Bowl in 2019, the pieces on defense that will enable that run probably are not all on the team yet.

Nonsense, so your suggesting that NONE of them are going to take a significant step forward in year 2? (or year 2 of extensive playing time?) When it is generally accepted that players make their biggest gains in years 2 and 3?

I think we'll see Martin and Green develop into nice role players or even better than that. Frank Clark if you recall wasn't much of a factor as a rookie but then had a terrific 2nd year. You have to give players time to develop. They don't stay stagnant. We've seen this countless times:

Here are just a few.
    Unger sucks-- Then he doesn't after moving from guard to Center
    Britt Sucks- Then he doesn't in year 3 as he moves from Tackle--> guard--> Center
    Ifedi sucks- Then he doesn't in year 3 after moving from guard-->tackle
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:06 am
  • The D is better than I thought they would be this year. With a healthy KJ and ET all season we'd be fine, but struggling a bit without. Yeah. Kendricks is awesome. I can't wait to get him back. Maybe I will give him some money to invest. Yeah Griffin will have to step it up. Liking Flowers. Interesting to me how well they plaued in the 2nd half vs. Green Bay.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    IMO, Shaquill is the weakest link of this defense, and it's not even close.

Griffin certainly hasn't had a great year, but he's by no means the weakest link on the defense. Calitro, Thompson Flowers, KJ trying to play hurt and Dion Jordan has been non existent the entire year.

Also remember this is Griffin's first year moving over to the primary DB expected to line up against a LOT of #1 WR's, that's a big jump from just expecting to not mess up opposite Sherm.

Overall I can't see how anyone would not be please with how the defense is playing and progressing, they're WAY further along then I thought they'd be.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:24 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:Nonsense, so your suggesting that NONE of them are going to take a significant step forward in year 2?

What I actually wrote:right now

What I actually wrote:Can they improve? Possibly.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 am
  • The defense reminds me a bit of the 2011 defense that ultimately finished 9th in yards allowed and 7th in PPG, but by the end of the season had made notable progress (albeit with the disclaimer of playing just 1 game against a team with a winning record over the last 7 games).

That was a team that included Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Browner, Wright, Mebane, Clemons and Bryant, who were all starters throughout the superbowl season. The additions of Wagner, Avril & Bennett over the next 2 years were the missing pieces that helped take us over the top.

This defense sits in 11th and 8th in YPG/PPG respectively (having played 4 games against top 10 offenses), and now has a favourable run coming up against some pretty poor teams in Arizona & SF, and middle-of-the-road teams in Minnesota & Carolina (plus a tough match against KC). I expect they'll probably perform quite well across most of those and end up similarly ranked to the 2011 defense. The real question is can we add those key pieces either cheaply (as we managed with Avril & Bennett) or smartly through the draft (with Wagner & Irvin) to help take us over the top?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 am

Do you really think that MacDougald was expecting an under siege Rodgers to roll out and throw a 58 yd pass on a dime? That was an all world crazy throw. I'm sure the TE was as shocked as Macdougald that Rodgers heaved up a pass that far in that situation.
    And he didn't let the TE get behind him, he was trailing him on the deepest crossing route I've ever seen

And as others have said: Rodgers and Rivers are top end QB's. Goff has a great OC and OL and all world RB. Even the LOB would get burned by those guys. I remember Rothlisberger having a field day in 2015 against our supposed dominant D. Give the young kids a break.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
  • themunn wrote:The defense reminds me a bit of the 2011 defense that ultimately finished 9th in yards allowed and 7th in PPG, but by the end of the season had made notable progress (albeit with the disclaimer of playing just 1 game against a team with a winning record over the last 7 games).

That was a team that included Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Browner, Wright, Mebane, Clemons and Bryant, who were all starters throughout the superbowl season. The additions of Wagner, Avril & Bennett over the next 2 years were the missing pieces that helped take us over the top.

This defense sits in 11th and 8th in YPG/PPG respectively (having played 4 games against top 10 offenses), and now has a favourable run coming up against some pretty poor teams in Arizona & SF, and middle-of-the-road teams in Minnesota & Carolina (plus a tough match against KC). I expect they'll probably perform quite well across most of those and end up similarly ranked to the 2011 defense. The real question is can we add those key pieces either cheaply (as we managed with Avril & Bennett) or smartly through the draft (with Wagner & Irvin) to help take us over the top?

We don't make the schedules, nobody knows how bad or good a team is going to be in a given year, too many variables. We do have current rankings and what we have done, and any team can go on a roll and have a winning record by the end of the season. Why I don't think it's really practical to say we have not played anyone good or we have just played crap teams. The rankings in points and yards don't care about the other teams records.

If you want to rank competition levels then it is different.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information