Bigtime WR is a priority this offseason

seabowl

Reaction score
I really hope this offseason that the team goes out and gets a WR that can consistently get separation. It seems Russ holds the ball too long at times but if you see what he sees many times there is just nobody open. I'm aware in the past that we have not been successful in free agency with WR's but it's clear we do not have a number 1 on the team. If we obtain a true number one, just think what this will not only do for Russ and the passing game but also the rushing attack.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A big time TE would be more effective in this offense IMO. Schottenheimer is way better at using TE's than wide receivers. Dissley is good but who knows how he will be after that injury. Dissley was carrying our passing attack the first few weeks.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Dissley was carrying our passing attack?????
After a very nice and surprising week 1 where he had 3 receptions for 105 yards and a td, he followed it up with 5 receptions for 51 yrds over the next 3 weeks. Dont get me wrong, I like Dissley and I hope he comes back from that injury, but if 8 receptions for 161 yrds over 4 weeks is carrying our passing attack---we are screwed.

Sign37now

Reaction score
I'd rather see some more pass rushers. We are giving QB's way too much time to carve us up...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pass rushers come at a premium.

Like LTs or shutdown corners, everyone wants them.

WRs at least can be had for relatively cheap in contrast. You can get a great player even in the 2nd round. They do take a few years to blossom though.

Pass rushers are expensive unless you get a green as grass raw prospect that will take time and be a risk.

Getting a great pass rusher is a long shot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

Pass rusher is something we have a lot less of at its position.

jmahon316

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":286pe8d7 said:
Baldwin and Lockett regularly get separation. Keep in mind that they're receiving passes from a highly conservative QB who doesn't like throwing into tight windows unless he's down by two scores. It drives us nuts when the result is pass pressure, but I think both Pete and Wilson prefer that over an interception.

Yes and let's not forget Moore is looking good this season, next season he'll probably look better. I feel like Pete will go heavy on D this next off-season since we're pretty stable at O with some decent players and decent coaches to match. It would honestly surprise me if the Seahawks went more Offense than Defense in the off-season.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jmahon316":13wwmu1q said:
MontanaHawk05":13wwmu1q said:

Yes and let's not forget Moore is looking good this season, next season he'll probably look better. I feel like Pete will go heavy on D this next off-season since we're pretty stable at O with some decent players and decent coaches to match. It would honestly surprise me if the Seahawks went more Offense than Defense in the off-season.

Moore has had some moments, but his impact has been a little overstated. In 9 games, he only has 14 receptions. That's kind of a surprise. Of course, 4 of those are TDs. :D He has been good, but has kind of gone quiet the last two weeks (3-32).

I am a little flummoxed with how they have been using WRs this season, but I think most of it is the run heavy commitment. Jaron Brown has some TDs, but is mostly non-existent (8 catches in 9 games). With Baldwin gimpy, we really don't have a bell cow.

Lockett has been a scoring machine, but does little else during the game. Our passing offense has just been odd.

We really could use a dominator.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Stongly disagree. I actually think it is very low on the priority scale. Let's just say for example you had Julio Jones on this team right now. How would things drastically change? And yes it is a legitimate question that I am curious to hear the answers on.

mrt144

Reaction score
iigakusei":2bl462yk said:
Stongly disagree. I actually think it is very low on the priority scale. Let's just say for example you had Julio Jones on this team right now. How would things drastically change? And yes it is a legitimate question that I am curious to hear the answers on.

Well if he's running the Schotty Route tree he might be good for an extra 2 or 3 intermediate to deep snags over the current players.

TreeRon

Reaction score
We need help on the D line (pass rushers) #1 IMO, secondly at least one more road grader that can pass defend and lastly a big bodied, good route runner, pass catcher.

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes, we could use one for sure. But it is a huge catch 22. Could anyone imagine a guy like OBJ in this offense? He'd be fighting with SeaBass's kicking net and blowing his mind every week with his couple of targets a game. :rumble:

No matter what, he would be under utilized here under Pete / Schotty IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Don't we say this every off season? We need a true #1 or big bodied receiver?

Problem is;

1. We don't run the kind of offense to warrant paying a first tier free agent WR to come here
2. Nor does it warrant drafting one high if he's just going to block 60-70% of the time

So we continue to get by with smaller fast twitch quick receivers that can get open when Russell's scrambling for his life, as opposed to a big bodied traditional split end WR that runs traditional routes.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jmahon316":1jokhts8 said:
MontanaHawk05":1jokhts8 said:

Moore has disappeared the last two games. He might be just another Chris Matthews.

He is, however, blocking very well, which is largely what Seattle likes to do with his WR's. Jaron Brown, same thing. If they get open, great, but Pete's offense doesn't need its WR's to do much. Just run down the sideline on the endless four-verts, and most of the rest of the time, block.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the year one can say Russ is conservative. I’ve always felt that point was overstated but Russ has been making tight window throws all season

I agree with OP. You need a big play receiver defenses are scared of, especially with our running attack. Our receivers scare no one, Good not Great. Russ has to make great throws every time as a result. Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":royux07r said:
Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet

They'd be asking for a trade in under two seasons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3gqu7djz said:
Scorpion05":3gqu7djz said:
Just once I’d love to have a Michael Thomas, or Moss, or Julio, or OBJ. That’d be sweet

They'd be asking for a trade in under two seasons.

You can have these guys, you just gotta get them in the draft............and not overpay for them in free agency.

I'd love a Jones type, but I'd settle for another Tate type of WR. Someone who's more physical, breaks tackles and has a knack for getting open and making clutch catches. Baldwin is close to that, but IMO Tate was better.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We don't have a true #3. Brown has disappeared, Moore has been spotty, Marshall was cut. Lockett has had a very nice season as a 2 and Baldwin, our 1, has been only 70% with the knee. We need someone in the 3rd round that can develop. The offseason emphasis should still be improving the D so we'll have to rely on 3rd-5th rounds to seek capable WR help.

rcaido

Reaction score
I still think it was dumb of the Seahawks to get rid of Bennett. I watched that Eagles vs Cowboys game & he still has it. I really miss him. Imagine if we still had him this year.

We need Green to step up big by the end of the season. Need to draft a big time pass rusher and let Clark go. Maybe two. Griffith has been in a sophomore slump, what happen to him. Might have to get another DB too.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to more relevant in season events ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1062548656992215040[/tweet]
Said Schottenheimer: “I told him on Monday when I saw him ... I thought he looked really good in that game. It was an option route on third down that he ran and he caught it. He put his right foot into the ground and just shot up the field and I was like 'wow.' So I think he’s feeling better now. I’m not worried about Doug. Doug is going to be fine. I think he’s starting to feel good and that’s good for us."
............ we have yet to see the best from the 2018 Seahawks receivers. Receivers are going to play better and better. Looking forward to Thursday night.

So Hawks!