Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Will this be a turning point for Russell?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Will this be a turning point for Russell?
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:25 am
  • One of the bright spots in the game was the way Russell Wilson was scrambling for chunks of yardage.

    After running for a then-season-high 41 yards against the Chargers, Wilson had 92 yards on the ground against an aggressive (and supposedly good) Rams defense.

    This has been a missing element until now. It has the potential to make the offense more dangerous for our opponents. There is nothing more difficult to scheme for than an efficient passer who can also run for first downs.

    92 rushing yards, 3 TDs, a 123 QB rating, and scoring 31 points on the road (without your starting RB) should not be so readily dismissed.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2852
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • He definitely didn't look right to start the year and I have a feeling he downplayed how bad his hammy actually was. This was the first time in awhile he looked like himself, seeing defenses 10 yards downfield and knowing a run gets good yards. I hope this means a couple more keepers on the R/O sprinkled in, lot of green past few games if he kept it on occasion.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4456
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • He's sent the message. Opponents may have thought RW's running could be discounted. Now, they'll have to go back to taking 1 of 11 defenders to spy on him.
    Last edited by TreeRon on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 377
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm


  • If you're still blaming the hammy, you missed all the offseason literature that discussed Brian Schottenheimer setting out to turn Wilson into a disciplined pocket dweller. That, I would submit, is more responsible for the lack of Wilson rushing.

    I wonder if Schottenheimer eased the reigns himself on Wilson in this game, or whether Wilson just started blowing him off a la Bevell in 2012.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Russell has always said he doesn't like to run.

    He usually doesn't run until the 2 minute drill.

    It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding people.

    I am not a believer that running QB's get hurt more often. He takes much more hits standing in the pocket.
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am


  • irfuben32 wrote:It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding


    I also doubt that. It's easier to run in the two-minute drill because the defense is usually playing far back in anticipation of the deep throw. Lot less room for him to run in other game situations.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Hoping they can continue the positive momentum this Thursday. Green Bay’s defense has not been very good: 24th in defensive efficiency, 26th against the run, 21st against the pass (per DVOA, before this last game). If the Seahawks can score 36 points, they will be averaging the most points per game of the Carroll Era.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2852
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:If you're still blaming the hammy, you missed all the offseason literature that discussed Brian Schottenheimer setting out to turn Wilson into a disciplined pocket dweller. That, I would submit, is more responsible for the lack of Wilson rushing.

    I wonder if Schottenheimer eased the reigns himself on Wilson in this game, or whether Wilson just started blowing him off a la Bevell in 2012.


    For sure, all the interviews said they were working on Russell's footwork within the pocket and trying to break his habit of spinning out of the pocket unnecessarily. I know it's something they've drilled into his head this season. I just mean on the times he has actually kept it for a run, he looked gimpy and not nearly as fast to the edge. Yesterday he had a burst I hadn't seen this year.

    And if it was Wilson blowing off Schotty, then good. Russell isn't a traditional pocket guy and likely won't ever be. Utilize his athleticism by moving the pocket around and allowing him to decide on pass or run for yards. He's a smart guy and rarely takes a big hit, it was such a weapon having him rack up 50+ yards a game on the ground.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4456
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • mistaowen wrote:He definitely didn't look right to start the year and I have a feeling he downplayed how bad his hammy actually was. This was the first time in awhile he looked like himself, seeing defenses 10 yards downfield and knowing a run gets good yards. I hope this means a couple more keepers on the R/O sprinkled in, lot of green past few games if he kept it on occasion.

    MikeRob let it slip a few weeks ago that Russell had been playing with a bad wheel but did not elaborate.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4179
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2852
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • It was nice to see, it's a weapon that the D has to account for.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10806
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    irfuben32 wrote:It's a shame because if he ran throughout the the entire game all season we would be shredding


    I also doubt that. It's easier to run in the two-minute drill because the defense is usually playing far back in anticipation of the deep throw. Lot less room for him to run in other game situations.



    That's a fair point. I do think thought that there are a lot of opportunities to run during the game that he either misses or hesitates on so they going for much shorter gains though. At the end of each half he just hits the jets and takes the first down.
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am


  • hawknation2018 wrote:One of the bright spots in the game was the way Russell Wilson was scrambling for chunks of yardage.

    After running for a then-season-high 41 yards against the Chargers, Wilson had 92 yards on the ground against an aggressive (and supposedly good) Rams defense.

    This has been a missing element until now. It has the potential to make the offense more dangerous for our opponents. There is nothing more difficult to scheme for than an efficient passer who can also run for first downs.

    92 rushing yards, 3 TDs, a 123 QB rating, and scoring 31 points on the road (without your starting RB) should not be so readily dismissed.


    Im gonna lean no. Schotty is a new and different anchor.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3310
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • This turned me off right away.

    PFF Fantasy Football
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25425
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • He's not as fast as he was, but quicker than the first few games this season.

    Saw the opening and went for it.

    I say go for it.

    As someone else noted, he's just as likely to get hurt standing in the pocket sometimes holding the ball for way too long.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1847
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:10 pm




It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information