Penny-Carson or Carson-Penny?

toffee

Reaction score
At this point, I must admit this topic being pretty premature, but I felt like the we might have a very nice duo! Based on very limited observation, both are more or less debuting, of course Carson had couple of games last season before injury, as debutantes, it appeared to me that:

1. Penny could go around the corner better, he had more speed.
2. Carson might be more of an inside runner, dude could get 2-3 yards after initial contact.
3. Both seems to be adequate in pass blocking?

I don't see Carson, with his punishing running style as an every down back that could last a whole season, never mind seasons. Ideally, one would prefer an every down back to keep the defense guessing. With that in mind, should we have Penny as the primary back? with Carson as change of pace and for those "you knew we are running but you still couldn't deny us those 3 yards" back?

or

It should be the other way around?

haha we could also put both of them in, with one playing an undersized fullback,

Again, premature but thought it might be fun to discuss.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Carson-Penny until Penny proves himself more or Carson gets injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carson-Davis-Penny

Keep mixing in Penny as the change of pace back, hoping that he breaks one. Use Carson & Davis for the consistent five-yard gains.

Don’t think Penny is ready to carry an offense from what I have seen. It’s still difficult for him to gain positive yardage unless he has good forward momentum before he reaches contact. Carson and Davis give us that consistent forward lean and tackle breaking up the gut.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":39nqlm3c said:
Carson-Davis-Penny

Keep mixing in Penny as the change of pace back, hoping that he breaks one. Use Carson & Davis for the consistent five-yard gains.

Don’t think Penny is ready to carry an offense from what I have seen. It’s still difficult for him to gain positive yardage unless he has good forward momentum before he reaches contact. Carson and Davis give us that consistent forward lean and tackle breaking up the gut.

This. Carson and Davis are your meat and potatoes guys that will gain you the consistent yards between the tackles. Penny is a talented outside runner with good acceleration when he gets going but hasn’t shown he can break tackles or gain yards up the middle. Different styles that all can work for us but Carson should still get the majority of the carries if healthy.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The true yet unpopular answer for most is Penny 15-20 carries and Carson 5-10 carries. As we stand today Penny has shown over his college and NFL career to be more durable, more talented, and better statistically. To say otherwise you are ignoring those facts.

TreeRon

Reaction score
" As we stand today Penny has shown over his college and NFL career to be more durable,"
His NFL career? Wasn't he out most of pre-season due to a broken bone?
I'm not sure his NFL career is bountiful enough to make any judgement on his durability.

I would still go with Carson 50% and Penny 35% with Davis 15% .Remember we have McKissic coming back as well.

For arguments sake: How bout a two back set?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
TreeRon":3l54kkn2 said:
" As we stand today Penny has shown over his college and NFL career to be more durable,"
I'm not sure his NFL career is bountiful enough to make any judgement on his durability.

Did Penny miss an NFL start due to injury? Look at his resume college + pro and look at Carson’s. Facts are Facts. They may not agree with your opinion. The last 2 years Penny has missed zero games while drastically out carrying Carson. Carson has missed 14 games due to injury. That’s 14 of the last 25 games to injury. Carson never has shown to be a workhorse, Penny has.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
I would need to see Penny more consistently run like he's trying to keep his job. He did awesome yesterday! I still saw him on one run that he broke for distance drag that right leg and slow down as someone reached out and slapped him. That's the one arm "Alexander goes down" tackles that make me just cringe. So if he can break that first tackle more consistently, or keep showing it takes more than one guy to drop him, he's gonna be the guy. His burst once he finally decides to go is pretty sick!

Edited:...but if I ever see him on kick offs again :pukeface: "Brace for impact at the 5 yard line, move gently forward to the 15.....done" NOPE :34853_doh:

knownone

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":x2clrkui said:
TreeRon":x2clrkui said:

Did Penny miss an NFL start due to injury? Look at his resume college + pro and look at Carson’s. Facts are Facts. They may not agree with your opinion. The last 2 years Penny has missed zero games while drastically out carrying Carson. Carson has missed 14 games due to injury. That’s 14 of the last 25 games to injury. Carson never has shown to be a workhorse, Penny has.
Facts are facts but that doesn't mean the conclusion you've drawn from those facts is a fact. It's still just an opinion and you both are entitled to one.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1d4c1124 said:
TreeRon":1d4c1124 said:

Penny is improving, he’s becoming more decisive, and the game is slowing down for him. But he’s never earned more than 15 carries in a game during his short NFL career. 12 carries was Penny’s career high. You have to be careful not to overreact to one game with three explosive runs. You should also take into account the Rams’ porous run defense.

Carson’s games with 15+ carries:
19 carries for 116 yards
20 carries for 93 yards
25 carries for 105 yards
32 carries for 102 yards

Davis’s games with 15+ carries:
15 carries for 62 yards (in the same game, just last week, Penny averaged 2.8 yards per carry)
15 carries for 66 yards
16 carries for 64 yards
21 carries for 101 yards

Hopefully Carson will be activated this week because we are going to need him. It’s also good that they can lean on another workhorse-type back in Davis. I like how they are using Penny as a change of pace, getting him space to the outside, which is what I have been advocating for since the beginning of the season. Forcing the ball to him, at the expense of Carson/Davis would be a mistake. He’s not ready yet for for that kind of work.

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":39qc1ydh said:
ImTheScientist":39qc1ydh said:
TreeRon":39qc1ydh said:

Facts are facts but that doesn't mean the conclusion you've drawn from those facts is a fact. It's still just an opinion and you both are entitled to one.

Disagree. He used up his "opinion mulligan" when he was gushing over Lacey who was deader than a door nail upon arrival here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not sure why this is even a topic, Penny is a bust and wasted pick, have been reading it for weeks here, too fat and too slow. :p

Ozzy

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":36zxk5zw said:
The true yet unpopular answer for most is Penny 15-20 carries and Carson 5-10 carries. As we stand today Penny has shown over his college and NFL career to be more durable, more talented, and better statistically. To say otherwise you are ignoring those facts.

This may very well be true sooner rather than later.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling Carson is going to be a band aid his entire career. Penny looked good yesterday and hopefully got rid of that fat he gained over the summer. Really need the both of them the amount this team runs the ball.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2n44x5v3 said:
I have a bad feeling Carson is going to be a band aid his entire career. Penny looked good yesterday and hopefully got rid of that fat he gained over the summer. Really need the both of them the amount this team runs the ball.

Pretty sure that was always the plan. Just took Penny a bit longer to get his feet under him. Mike Davis has served well as the backup RB. But in the end, it was always going to be body blows with Carson and breakaway speed with Penny as the 2 back system. We just had to overuse Carson IMO.

I hope to see more even RB duties in upcoming games once Carson is healthy.

And is it finally time to cut Procise once Mc Kissic is back?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I would be really intrigued to see Penny and Carson together in the backfield, talk about keep the defense guessing? Both can block some and catch some both are legit NFL 100 yards per game back .... although one has done it only once. Instead of FB+HB, we will feature twp HBs? Heck with Wilson, they can even run wishbones. lol.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Rashaad Penny is the best and most talented RB you have. He is certainly the fastest with the most breakaway speed. He just got set back by the hand injury a lot. Plus your system is a little different than what he was used to so he was thinking too much in the beginning when he was a brand new NFL player. Now he has had some time in and is more experienced. With the hand now healed and more experience and time you can see he is getting better and better. You can see the speed and explosion on the outside. That's pretty much Penny and what he does.

He just had some setbacks and the injury. But trust me from living here in San Diego and having season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs he was an absolute star. Very fast speed and good vision. It's just unfortunate he had the hand injury and the new system was a little different to him from what he was used to.

IMO he has too much athletic talent to not succeed long term. He is a legitimate 4.4 speed guy at 220 lbs. That's very good. He also let his weight get a little out of control in the off season which was not an issue for him at San Diego State BTW.

I just think he is growing and maturing at lot. I still believe in Penny A LOT. I believe he will succeed for you big time long term. The guys who were on him early were unrealistic IMO. You can't write off a player at 1/2 of a season in his rookie year. That's just crazy.

Obviously he is starting to get it more and you can see from his most recent game he can play.

12 carries......108 yards......1 TD......9.0 yard average.

He really is capable of that. Believe me I have seen a lot of him. The injury set him back some. He's healthy now and feeling better and knows your system better now too. Plus he lost some weight and got fast again like he is. He just needs to stay healthy and keep that weight in check. Which was not really a problem at San Diego State BTW (the weight). I'm kind of surprised to hear those stories. IMO the hand break was a big setback to him. He looked really tentative to me early in the year with that injured hand. Now with the hand healthy he looks more like himself and confident.

It's not unusual BTW in NFL history for a RB or anybody to better in the 2nd year. Rashaad got hurt early, had a new system to learn and had some weight gain in the off season (which was never a problem for him and San Diego State and actually surprises me). But I think he has turned the corner.

You can see he can do it. 108 yards on 12 carries is really a lot and a TD. Plus a 9.0 yard average. He is totally capable of that. That's pretty much Rashaad for you. I look forward to Rashaad bursting out and I think he will continue to do well for you. I do hope so and he is one of my favorites all time from San Diego State. I hope he busts out and really continues to do well. It's nice to see him have a bust out game. You can now see YES HE CAN DO IT. I always knew he could. I've seen him for a long time and believed in him big time when others doubted him.

:D

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":37qkq8ji said:
Rashaad Penny is the best and most talented RB you have. He is certainly the fastest with the most breakaway speed. He just got set back by the hand injury a lot. Plus your system is a little different than what he was used to so he was thinking too much in the beginning when he was a brand new NFL player. Now he has had some time in and is more experienced. With the hand now healed and more experience and time you can see he is getting better and better. You can see the speed and explosion on the outside. That's pretty much Penny and what he does.

He just had some setbacks and the injury. But trust me from living here in San Diego and having season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs he was an absolute star. Very fast speed and good vision. It's just unfortunate he had the hand injury and the new system was a little different to him from what he was used to.

IMO he has too much athletic talent to not succeed long term. He is a legitimate 4.4 speed guy at 220 lbs. That's very good. He also let his weight get a little out of control in the off season which was not an issue for him at San Diego State BTW.

I just think he is growing and maturing at lot. I still believe in Penny A LOT. I believe he will succeed for you big time long term. The guys who were on him early were unrealistic IMO. You can't write off a player at 1/2 of a season in his rookie year. That's just crazy.

Obviously he is starting to get it more and you can see from his most recent game he can play.

12 carries......108 yards......1 TD......9.0 yard average.

He really is capable of that. Believe me I have seen a lot of him. The injury set him back some. He's healthy now and feeling better and knows your system better now too. Plus he lost some weight and got fast again like he is. He just needs to stay healthy and keep that weight in check. Which was not really a problem at San Diego State BTW (the weight). I'm kind of surprised to hear those stories. IMO the hand break was a big setback to him. He looked really tentative to me early in the year with that injured hand. Now with the hand healthy he looks more like himself and confident.

It's not unusual BTW in NFL history for a RB or anybody to better in the 2nd year. Rashaad got hurt early, had a new system to learn and had some weight gain in the off season (which was never a problem for him and San Diego State and actually surprises me). But I think he has turned the corner.

You can see he can do it. 108 yards on 12 carries is really a lot and a TD. Plus a 9.0 yard average. He is totally capable of that. That's pretty much Rashaad for you. I look forward to Rashaad bursting out and I think he will continue to do well for you. I do hope so and he is one of my favorites all time from San Diego State. I hope he busts out and really continues to do well. It's nice to see him have a bust out game. You can now see YES HE CAN DO IT. I always knew he could. I've seen him for a long time and believed in him big time when others doubted him.

:D

Excellent post.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":19y6jk7d said:
It's not unusual BTW in NFL history for a RB or anybody to better in the 2nd year. Rashaad got hurt early, had a new system to learn and had some weight gain in the off season (which was never a problem for him and San Diego State and actually surprises me).

He also wasn't giving his best effort, according to the coaches.

But to hear Carroll describe it, Penny wasn't applying himself the way he needed to. Carroll was asked what he meant with several postgame comments about how Seattle's coaches had been sternly pushing Penny and "challenging him to get right."

Link

Latest posts