Seattle's defense

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.
We need a better pass rush, and what many of us thought was a strength LB looks very suspect against good teams.

Seattle has a couple things to fix. First we need a dominant lineman I don't care if it's at DE or DT but we need one. Second we need another really physical LB, fix those two things and I think they can maybe get to 10-6 9-7 next year.

If they are going to stay with Wilson and this offense there going to have to get better defensively were giving up to many points . Our secondary is decent but there having to cover for to long we need to get more pressure up front.

We knew the defense would take a step back and they did and it's the difference between us making the playoffs and going 7-9. Seattle has never been a great offense with Wilson at QB, but he is good enough to win with . Seattle has to have a great defense or the way the team is built doesn't work. Seattle simply isn't built to outscore teams never has been under Pete. Also tough schedule I mean it's just a tough year to try and retool and make the playoffs with this schedule.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Run D is really really bad at times unfortunately. This team losing all these close games isn't just on Pete, or the Coaching, the D is also getting shredded, often.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I think we need to hit on a DT and a DE in the draft or FA next year, prefer via the draft.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This year is the perfect draft for Seattle's needs. We're largely set everywhere the draft is weak, and the strength of the draft - DT/DE - is exactly where Seattle requires a reload the most.

We WILL trade down. And it won't hurt us that much, because the starter prospects for defensive front four will last all the way into round 3.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You're not saying anything Pete and his staff don't know.

The part of yesterday that bothered me is Pete and Norton continuing to play base zone only rushing four OVER AND OVER AND OVER.........and allowing Goff to just pick us apart, and Gurley to run right through the defense.

The few times we changed it up to press man and blitzed an extra rusher, it was far more effective.

I don't care if we get torched, nothing's more defeatist to me than continuing to do things that aren't working because you're afraid.

PS. Neither Bobby or KJ are right, both look hurt and slow.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qibvwo5 said:

The part of yesterday that bothered me is Pete and Norton continuing to play base zone only rushing four OVER AND OVER AND OVER.........and allowing Goff to just pick us apart, and Gurley to run right through the defense.

It gets worse. They keep rushing three on crucial plays, too. Pretty clear they don't trust their back seven.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31nwvjr4 said:
Sgt. Largent":31nwvjr4 said:

It gets worse. They keep rushing three on crucial plays, too. Pretty clear they don't trust their back seven.

Right, another 3rd and 15 given up at a crucial point with rushing three and dropping eight into coverage..........and Woods doesn't have a defender within 10 yards of him he's so wide open.

Again, just blitz and make Goff check it down. It's a defeatist scheme to me, and I don't get it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23zhnry6 said:
MontanaHawk05":23zhnry6 said:
Sgt. Largent":23zhnry6 said:

Right, another 3rd and 15 given up at a crucial point with rushing three and dropping eight into coverage..........and Woods doesn't have a defender within 10 yards of him he's so wide open.

Again, just blitz and make Goff check it down. It's a defeatist scheme to me, and I don't get it.

Agree. I’d rather die via the blitz rather then die checking it down.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ijo3jql1 said:
Sgt. Largent":ijo3jql1 said:

Yes. And maybe even more of an indictment of their pass rushing personnel. They don't trust their defensive front to generate significantly more pressure with more rushers.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The defense was so porous that they chose to gamble on an early onside kick.

Somehow they are still a Top 10 defense in most categories, including 9th in points allowed. That exceeds most reasonable expectations placed on then before the season, given the significant personnel losses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":23mx2xid said:
MontanaHawk05":23mx2xid said:
Sgt. Largent":23mx2xid said:

Yes. And maybe even more of an indictment of their pass rushing personnel. They don't trust their defensive front to generate significantly more pressure with more rushers.

I get it, both Bobby and KJ aren't 100%, so you're limited in who you can blitz.........but holy moly get creative. Send Mingo, send a corner, put Shaqueem in the game. Idk, do something other than just sit back and allow Goff and Gurley to destroy you.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The team just doesn't have the horses to allow check downs but no YAC anymore and needs to adapt. They could be safe with zone coverages on 3rd and long when 4 man rush was getting home and the secondary tackled like LB's. Don't have that luxury anymore, KJ doesn't look fast enough to blow up dump offs, and although it's admirable for how the secondary is playing so far, it's a considerable drop off from years past. These were things we knew coming into the season though.

DL is a major area to improve on next season but until then, Pete and Norton need to start mixing things up. 3 man rushes on 3rd and long are almost a freebie at this point and sending 4 in base defense isn't working. I know it goes against everything Pete believe in on defense not to stop the deep pass, but teams are having just as much success hitting 6-10 yard passes for big gains after the catch.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1v95tk80 said:

Somehow they are still a Top 10 defense in most categories, including 9th in points allowed. That exceeds most reasonable expectations placed on then before the season, given the significant personnel losses.

I can't wait to see where we are at next season with hopefully some better pass rush both inside and outside. Like, this current iteration just seems a few steps away from being that which we desire. But we know it isn't as simple as going to the butcher and picking up two sides of beef.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":upvbi148 said:
You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

Rebuild doesn't mean we shouldn't expect things like;

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1slmtvaf said:
Cyrus12":1slmtvaf said:

Rebuild doesn't mean we shouldn't expect things like;

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.

Also, isn't now the time to try a wrinkle or two and get familiar with it? I know there is the argument for getting as good as you possibly can at the thing you WANT to do but I feel like playing the field before you settle on your core identity might be revealing and helpful. It really feels at times that they want super soldiers who can perfectly execute a somewhat brittle plan instead of making well rounded soldiers who can chew gum and run and shoot.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3rn4b00g said:

This ^ and to add, they don't have the likes of Kam Chancellor to scare any of Goff's Receivers from making all those easy catches.
Though I do think that We had a pretty good chance to beating their asses if that final pass by Wilson hadn't gotten away from him to sail over Moore's head like it did, unfortunately, that misfire was on Wilson.
This game was a lot closer than their last meeting.
This team isn't built for shootouts at the moment either, the fact that Wilson hasn't been targeting Doug Baldwin as much as he use to, kinda tells me that he isn't anywhere close to being back to 100%.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sac":cdcz0n9z said:
Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.

He played 18 snaps.

The young defensive linemen didn’t play a lot in this game. 17 snaps for Martin. 10 for Green. For some reason, they’re not trusting the young guys to stop the run in base downs.

Clark played 56 snaps. Reed played 53, which seems like too many if you believe in the law of diminishing returns. Stephen played 41. Jordan 33. Jefferson 32. Mingo 30 (splitting time between SLB and LEO).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":r97gbife said:
An Offense that's still NOT anywhere near completed, New Offensive Coach & Coordinator "carry the team"? :rofl:
Re-read YOUR OWN first sentence again.