Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle's defense

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seattle's defense
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 am
  • So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.
    We need a better pass rush, and what many of us thought was a strength LB looks very suspect against good teams.

Seattle has a couple things to fix. First we need a dominant lineman I don't care if it's at DE or DT but we need one. Second we need another really physical LB, fix those two things and I think they can maybe get to 10-6 9-7 next year.

If they are going to stay with Wilson and this offense there going to have to get better defensively were giving up to many points . Our secondary is decent but there having to cover for to long we need to get more pressure up front.

We knew the defense would take a step back and they did and it's the difference between us making the playoffs and going 7-9. Seattle has never been a great offense with Wilson at QB, but he is good enough to win with . Seattle has to have a great defense or the way the team is built doesn't work. Seattle simply isn't built to outscore teams never has been under Pete. Also tough schedule I mean it's just a tough year to try and retool and make the playoffs with this schedule.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Seattle's defense
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:38 am
  • The Run D is really really bad at times unfortunately. This team losing all these close games isn't just on Pete, or the Coaching, the D is also getting shredded, often.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 am
  • I think we need to hit on a DT and a DE in the draft or FA next year, prefer via the draft.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am
  • This year is the perfect draft for Seattle's needs. We're largely set everywhere the draft is weak, and the strength of the draft - DT/DE - is exactly where Seattle requires a reload the most.

We WILL trade down. And it won't hurt us that much, because the starter prospects for defensive front four will last all the way into round 3.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am
  • You're not saying anything Pete and his staff don't know.

The part of yesterday that bothered me is Pete and Norton continuing to play base zone only rushing four OVER AND OVER AND OVER.........and allowing Goff to just pick us apart, and Gurley to run right through the defense.

The few times we changed it up to press man and blitzed an extra rusher, it was far more effective.

I don't care if we get torched, nothing's more defeatist to me than continuing to do things that aren't working because you're afraid.

PS. Neither Bobby or KJ are right, both look hurt and slow.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You're not saying anything Pete and his staff don't know.

The part of yesterday that bothered me is Pete and Norton continuing to play base zone only rushing four OVER AND OVER AND OVER.........and allowing Goff to just pick us apart, and Gurley to run right through the defense.

It gets worse. They keep rushing three on crucial plays, too. Pretty clear they don't trust their back seven.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:10 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're not saying anything Pete and his staff don't know.

It gets worse. They keep rushing three on crucial plays, too. Pretty clear they don't trust their back seven.

Right, another 3rd and 15 given up at a crucial point with rushing three and dropping eight into coverage..........and Woods doesn't have a defender within 10 yards of him he's so wide open.

Again, just blitz and make Goff check it down. It's a defeatist scheme to me, and I don't get it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Right, another 3rd and 15 given up at a crucial point with rushing three and dropping eight into coverage..........and Woods doesn't have a defender within 10 yards of him he's so wide open.

Again, just blitz and make Goff check it down. It's a defeatist scheme to me, and I don't get it.

Agree. I’d rather die via the blitz rather then die checking it down.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:13 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Yes. And maybe even more of an indictment of their pass rushing personnel. They don't trust their defensive front to generate significantly more pressure with more rushers.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 am
  • The defense was so porous that they chose to gamble on an early onside kick.

Somehow they are still a Top 10 defense in most categories, including 9th in points allowed. That exceeds most reasonable expectations placed on then before the season, given the significant personnel losses.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Yes. And maybe even more of an indictment of their pass rushing personnel. They don't trust their defensive front to generate significantly more pressure with more rushers.

I get it, both Bobby and KJ aren't 100%, so you're limited in who you can blitz.........but holy moly get creative. Send Mingo, send a corner, put Shaqueem in the game. Idk, do something other than just sit back and allow Goff and Gurley to destroy you.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:27 am
  • The team just doesn't have the horses to allow check downs but no YAC anymore and needs to adapt. They could be safe with zone coverages on 3rd and long when 4 man rush was getting home and the secondary tackled like LB's. Don't have that luxury anymore, KJ doesn't look fast enough to blow up dump offs, and although it's admirable for how the secondary is playing so far, it's a considerable drop off from years past. These were things we knew coming into the season though.

DL is a major area to improve on next season but until then, Pete and Norton need to start mixing things up. 3 man rushes on 3rd and long are almost a freebie at this point and sending 4 in base defense isn't working. I know it goes against everything Pete believe in on defense not to stop the deep pass, but teams are having just as much success hitting 6-10 yard passes for big gains after the catch.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 am
  • You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:31 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:The defense was so porous that they chose to gamble on an early onside kick.

Somehow they are still a Top 10 defense in most categories, including 9th in points allowed. That exceeds most reasonable expectations placed on then before the season, given the significant personnel losses.

I can't wait to see where we are at next season with hopefully some better pass rush both inside and outside. Like, this current iteration just seems a few steps away from being that which we desire. But we know it isn't as simple as going to the butcher and picking up two sides of beef.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 am
  • Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

Rebuild doesn't mean we shouldn't expect things like;

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.

Also, isn't now the time to try a wrinkle or two and get familiar with it? I know there is the argument for getting as good as you possibly can at the thing you WANT to do but I feel like playing the field before you settle on your core identity might be revealing and helpful. It really feels at times that they want super soldiers who can perfectly execute a somewhat brittle plan instead of making well rounded soldiers who can chew gum and run and shoot.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:The defense was so porous that they chose to gamble on an early onside kick.

This ^ and to add, they don't have the likes of Kam Chancellor to scare any of Goff's Receivers from making all those easy catches.
    Though I do think that We had a pretty good chance to beating their asses if that final pass by Wilson hadn't gotten away from him to sail over Moore's head like it did, unfortunately, that misfire was on Wilson.
    This game was a lot closer than their last meeting.
    This team isn't built for shootouts at the moment either, the fact that Wilson hasn't been targeting Doug Baldwin as much as he use to, kinda tells me that he isn't anywhere close to being back to 100%.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:29 am
  • Sac wrote:Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.

He played 18 snaps.

The young defensive linemen didn’t play a lot in this game. 17 snaps for Martin. 10 for Green. For some reason, they’re not trusting the young guys to stop the run in base downs.

Clark played 56 snaps. Reed played 53, which seems like too many if you believe in the law of diminishing returns. Stephen played 41. Jordan 33. Jefferson 32. Mingo 30 (splitting time between SLB and LEO).
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

An Offense that's still NOT anywhere near completed, New Offensive Coach & Coordinator "carry the team"? :rofl:
    Re-read YOUR OWN first sentence again.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:36 am
  • We need another pass rusher and kendricks back. I think kj will be gone
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Mingo took most of his snaps at DE. Did he generate any pass rush?

Would like to see more snaps for Martin. Also give Reed more rest by playing Ford more.

McDougald, Wright, and Hill were playing through injuries, and it showed at times.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sac wrote:Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.

EL if I know, alls I know is that I ain't been getting any......er.......never mind. :oops:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am
  • I actually hope Bobby and KJ are significantly more limited than we know. I'm not of the opinion that you need to find scapegoats when losing close games to better teams, but if you wanted to look further into the group that has under performed the most three of the last four halves it has been our LBs.

My main concern going into this year was at DL and that hasn't gone away, but I do think it's fixable next off-season. We have some decent pieces already and youngsters that can get better, and DL is a unit where adding a key player or two to the rotation can elevate everybody else.

I'm thrilled with what the secondary is doing given reasonable expectations. It hasn't been anywhere near flawless but it has been better than anybody had a right to expect.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Sac wrote:Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.

He played 18 snaps.

The young defensive linemen didn’t play a lot in this game. 17 snaps for Martin. 10 for Green. For some reason, they’re not trusting the young guys to stop the run in base downs.

Clark played 56 snaps. Reed played 53, which seems like too many if you believe in the law of diminishing returns. Stephen played 41. Jordan 33. Jefferson 32. Mingo 30 (splitting time between SLB and LEO).

I'm all for questioning Pete on most things, but when it comes to the defense IMO he's the expert.

If these younger guys aren't playing, it's because they haven't shown Pete in practice that they're ready, healthy, trustworthy to be in their gaps, etc.

IMO the guys that need to step up aren't the younger players, it's guys like Jefferson, Jordan, Stephan and Jones. THOSE are the guys that should be rotating in and performing well enough to not have to wear out Reed and Clark with too many snaps.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

1. The O-Coaching has been working hard to try and get Wilson to play AWAY from his save the day plays.......Lots of trade-offs........Careful what you ask for.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 am
  • Our 3 losses in our last 7 games have come against 2 of the probably 4 best offenses in the league. In the Chargers came we held them to 0 points offensively in the 2nd half, and the Rams have scored 29+ points in every single game this year, regardless of opponent.

It's not really a surprise that this defense isn't quite as good as in previous years against the best teams in the league given the number of high profile losses/injuries. But they have potential. In each of the last 2 losses they forced a 3 and out which gave the offense enough time to score.

With the right moves in the offseason I certainly think they have potential to get back in among the elite teams in the league.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:52 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

1. The O-Coaching has been working hard to try and get Wilson to play AWAY from his save the day plays.......Lots of trade-offs........Careful what you ask for.

You're talking about playcalling, I'm talking about execution.

- Wilson fumbles the snap and runs into a 15 yard sack on consecutive plays in Denver to lose the game
    - Wilson throws a pick six in Chicago to lose the game
    - Sweezy false starts and Russell and Moore can't connect to tie the game against the Chargers
    - Russell scrambles and overthrows Lockett to end the game yesterday

That's not coaching or playcalling, that's simple execution...............again execution that I EXPECT from a veteran offense and so called franchise QB.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 am
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.
    We need a better pass rush, and what many of us thought was a strength LB looks very suspect against good teams.

Seattle has a couple things to fix. First we need a dominant lineman I don't care if it's at DE or DT but we need one. Second we need another really physical LB, fix those two things and I think they can maybe get to 10-6 9-7 next year.

If they are going to stay with Wilson and this offense there going to have to get better defensively were giving up to many points . Our secondary is decent but there having to cover for to long we need to get more pressure up front.

We knew the defense would take a step back and they did and it's the difference between us making the playoffs and going 7-9. Seattle has never been a great offense with Wilson at QB, but he is good enough to win with . Seattle has to have a great defense or the way the team is built doesn't work. Seattle simply isn't built to outscore teams never has been under Pete. Also tough schedule I mean it's just a tough year to try and retool and make the playoffs with this schedule.

They stood toe to toe with the best Offense in football... They made the stops when they had to and put this team in position to win the damn game what more do you want from a D? This is crazy... if you match up the Rams O against the Hawks D they should just blow us out... but thats not what happened they played well enough to win the game...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 am
  • Exactly, they have been in every game this year. While I didn't expect it going in, I'm loving the way this team fights til the end. Just gotta' get those W's at the end instead of losing games you should win.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:40 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.

They stood toe to toe with the best Offense in football... They made the stops when they had to and put this team in position to win the damn game what more do you want from a D? This is crazy... if you match up the Rams O against the Hawks D they should just blow us out... but thats not what happened they played well enough to win the game...

LTH

Then we need a better QB because we rushed for a ton of yards and according to you the defense is just fine.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:55 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.

LTH

Then we need a better QB because we rushed for a ton of yards and according to you the defense is just fine.

I think the D is good enough to get us to the playoffs...and I think the O is good enough to get us to the play offs... I would say just relax a bit drink a beer and enjoy the game ... its going to get better...This is typical Seahawks its not like we were not in almost they exact same position in 2015..

LTH
    LTH
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    LTH wrote:

LTH

I think the D is good enough to get us to the playoffs...and I think the O is good enough to get us to the play offs... I would say just relax a bit drink a beer and enjoy the game ... its going to get better...This is typical Seahawks its not like we were not in almost they exact same position in 2015..

LTH

I like the optimism but we have a tough remaining schedule and were 4-5 playoffs are a longshot at best. I do think we have a good chance to beat GB but even if we do it's still a longshot to make the playoffs.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 pm
  • If you remove the 3 games against the #2 and #3 offenses we're a top 5 defense if you include them we're still 10th. The defense this season, despite a tougher schedule, is still on pace to be better than last seasons.

It's probably easier to make the argument that our offense is not good enough rather than our defense. I'm just saying, we have a better defense statistically than all but 3 teams with a better record than us the Bears, Texans, and Vikings.

I do agree that we need a better pass rush and some help at linebacker.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 am
  • knownone wrote:If you remove the 3 games against the #2 and #3 offenses we're a top 5 defense if you include them we're still 10th. The defense this season, despite a tougher schedule, is still on pace to be better than last seasons.

It's probably easier to make the argument that our offense is not good enough rather than our defense. I'm just saying, we have a better defense statistically than all but 3 teams with a better record than us the Bears, Texans, and Vikings.

I do agree that we need a better pass rush and some help at linebacker.

What we need is a little bit of ANGRY DOUG! LOL! I think its time to see Baldwin step it up I read he is feeling better hope that is true. :2thumbs:

This is a championship run guys! Nobody believes me... Thats ok Im going to enjoy this run they are going to go on...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:10 am
  • It's worth revisiting the last time Pete rebuilt this defense in 2010.

That year he was lucky enough to start with his keystone position on defense: Earl Thomas

I would expect him to do the same now. Obviously I'd like to see them just resign Earl. He's worth the price whatever he gets. And there isn't an edge player who is as good at rushing the passer, as Earl is as good at being a game altering safety.

Failing that -- I think we're going to start at FS. Seattle has typically double dipped in deep talent pools in most drafts. But has opted for day 2/3 selections. Allowing talent to percolate down the list and use their top picks for addressing other needs.

I'd predict that Seattle looks at Washington's Byron Murphy as Earl's successor (regardless if they resign him or not). They are very similar type players. Which to me is crucial. Seattle has specific skill needs for our FS and most traditional safeties don't possess those traits. Murphy blends speed/instinct and ability to hit in a similar fashion that Thomas did coming out of UT. Murphy is likely to go in the teens to 20s. Right about where we're going to be picking.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:It's worth revisiting the last time Pete rebuilt this defense in 2010.

That year he was lucky enough to start with his keystone position on defense: Earl Thomas

I would expect him to do the same now. Obviously I'd like to see them just resign Earl. He's worth the price whatever he gets. And there isn't an edge player who is as good at rushing the passer, as Earl is as good at being a game altering safety.

Failing that -- I think we're going to start at FS. Seattle has typically double dipped in deep talent pools in most drafts. But has opted for day 2/3 selections. Allowing talent to percolate down the list and use their top picks for addressing other needs.

I'd predict that Seattle looks at Washington's Byron Murphy as Earl's successor (regardless if they resign him or not). They are very similar type players. Which to me is crucial. Seattle has specific skill needs for our FS and most traditional safeties don't possess those traits. Murphy blends speed/instinct and ability to hit in a similar fashion that Thomas did coming out of UT. Murphy is likely to go in the teens to 20s. Right about where we're going to be picking.

There not taking a FS with there first pick.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am
    Attyla the Hawk wrote:It's worth revisiting the last time Pete rebuilt this defense in 2010.

I think we were absolutely taking Derwin James with our first pick last year, but we missed out by one pick.

So Pete and John will absolutely take a game changing safety, FS or SS if that safety is special enough to draft high like Earl was.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    Attyla the Hawk wrote:It's worth revisiting the last time Pete rebuilt this defense in 2010.

I think we were absolutely taking Derwin James with our first pick last year, but we missed out by one pick.

So Pete and John will absolutely take a game changing safety, FS or SS if that safety is special enough to draft high like Earl was.

Fine your on record there taking a Safety i disagree.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:51 am
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:

Fine your on record there taking a Safety i disagree.

IF he's special, re-read what I said.

That goes for any player at any position. The reason we trade down so much is because Pete and John only have first round grades on about half the players drafted in the first round. So they're not going to draft a player they graded in the second or third round in the first round.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information