You can not defend the onside kick

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the new 2018 rules, the sudden onside kick will never work.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/nfl-k ... -clarified

Here are the rules so the sudden onside kick will always go into the "set up zone" that means the other team is ALWAYS WATCHING YOU!!!! The old way players on the receiving team would just turn their backs to the kicking team and run back to set up the blocks. That is not how kickoffs are done anymore, the receiving team now stands and watches the kicking team to follow their assignment through the "set up zone" to block them in the hitting zone.

Long story short old man Pete forgot about the new rules. That is on the special team's coach to say "That doesn't work anymore with the new rules."

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think he was pretty much going for the surprise. That part was good. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good kick. Risky play call that didn't work. Knowing the stats on Sea-bass now makes it look really bad.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2lrqb8wg said:
I think he was pretty much going for the surprise. That part was good. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good kick. Risky play call that didn't work. Knowing the stats on Sea-bass now makes it look really bad.

You're missing the point you can't surprise them anymore the receiving team is always watching the kicking team with the new rules.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
They sure surprised everybody else. I’d be willing to bet you weren’t expecting it. I get it that it’s harder to do now but maybe that’s why they did it.
I guess I didn’t notice that they never used to watch the kicking team until the rules were changed.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
0-25 in onside kicks. What part of that stat makes you feel confident that THIS time it will work?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Aros":3ao1nr7u said:
0-25 in onside kicks. What part of that stat makes you feel confident that THIS time it will work?
And that’s probably the reasoning right there. Hence the surprise.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It was yet another head scratcher by Carroll. Guess he didnt think the d could stop them. It did cause them to lose the game imo.

mrt144

Reaction score
I just don't know what makes them think that they are competent enough to try it.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1hwcd9vj said:
It was yet another head scratcher by Carroll. Guess he didnt think the d could stop them. It did cause them to lose the game imo.
While I didn’t necessarily agree with it, I don’t think it lost the game. Defense lost the game. They had no answer for the crossing routes.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the new rules, it will fail 99.99% of the time. It will only work if the other player tries to run with the ball and fumbles it. The kick coverage unit doesn't get a running start anymore so they can't cover that ground as fast as they used to. The receiving tram no longer turns their back to the kicking team so they will ALWAYS SEE THE SHORT KICK. The rules changed it is dumb to even waste practice time on it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to defend because our defense was getting shredded. Even if the chance of success was very low, so was our chance of stopping them from bringing the ball back to midfield. Maybe one is 10% and one is 15% but without having a time machine and the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to power it then it's all just conjecture as to which was better. For all we know, we were better off with this outcome because they scored in less time than they would have if we kicked it away.

In general, it is smart for underdogs to seek risk in order to maximize their chances of an upset.

NINEster

Reaction score
Aros":w9ip1nl4 said:

Yeah, except for that one in January 2015.

Quick to forget.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
AgentDib":2vhcyf2e said:
It's pretty easy to defend because our defense was getting shredded. Even if the chance of success was very low, so was our chance of stopping them from bringing the ball back to midfield. Maybe one is 10% and one is 15% but without having a time machine and the 1.21 gigawatts necessary to power it then it's all just conjecture as to which was better. For all we know, we were better off with this outcome because they scored in less time than they would have if we kicked it away.

In general, it is smart for underdogs to seek risk in order to maximize their chances of an upset.

In 2017 I agree because it could work. In 2018 and beyond it will never work the rules are fundamentally changed.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
NINEster":2kvc6par said:
Aros":2kvc6par said:

Quick to forget.
The stat is in reference to Janikowski, not the Seahawks.

NINEster

Reaction score
bigskydoc":17o8fnzh said:
NINEster":17o8fnzh said:
Aros":17o8fnzh said:

Quick to forget.
The stat is in reference to Janikowski, not the Seahawks.

Oh ok.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, they were playing a great game all day. Then they call that crap. ZERO excuse for trying that, let alone giving that offense a short field. You also can't defend then not rolling Russ out more and trying to make him Tom Brady sitting in the pocket :roll:
Look, I like Pete, but him and his coaching staff have been outcoached in the 4th quarter in just about every loss this year.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Aros":1onqxl1q said:

I really think Pete was thinking our defense can't stop a long sustained time eating clock drive, so let's try the onside kick. If we get it great, but if not hopefully we can hold them to a FG, leave time on the clock and win it at the end of the game. And it almost worked.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":kfm76ns2 said:
With the new rules, it will fail 99.99% of the time. It will only work if the other player tries to run with the ball and fumbles it. The kick coverage unit doesn't get a running start anymore so they can't cover that ground as fast as they used to. The receiving tram no longer turns their back to the kicking team so they will ALWAYS SEE THE SHORT KICK. The rules changed it is dumb to even waste practice time on it.

I brought this up a week ago. Sadly Pete didn't get the "newsflash". :roll: Even knowing the new rules making it more difficult, I don't believe Pete is even aware of how historically bad SeaBass is at attempting them. :pukeface: