Moral Victory II

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Yes, I acknowledge that a moral victory is still a loss.

However...

We're playing the Rams very tough and kept in reach in both games. Considering our circumstances, we've done well.

We know we don't have the horses on the OL to keep Wilson clean against the Rams' defensive attack. We don't have the defensive attack to hold back the Rams' offense (nor does anyone else to be fair). We know where we're dinged up.

We are not among the top teams in the NFL. However, we can stand toe-to-toe with one of them on their turf.

As an endpoint, we should be disappointed, but this isn't an endpoint. This is the beginning of a rebuild, not the end product of one. I think we have plenty to be optimistic about.

I know people want to fire this person and that person and throw blame around like a lawn sprinkler, but I think we need to take a couple of steps back and realise the results we are getting with the current state of the team, and be pretty damn happy about it, even if they did lose to one of the best teams.

Sucks that we lost to the Rams twice. Bad luck that one of the big guns of the NFC is in our division. It happens. We can't all play in the NFC East.

We're doing well enough with our new coaches to see how this thing goes once they get a few guys they want, in my opinion, and I want to see how they go next year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Agreed. We weren't suppose to win, we basically hung with one of the best teams in the league in their own stadium. Nothing to be disappointed about. We likely aren't making the playoffs, and we definitely aren't a super bowl contender, so it's all about building off this season.

So far this season we've stabalized the offensive line, which we haven't done in years. It looks like we've found some good running backs. Next season hopefully we can make a jump with our passing game, but that will come.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Juice boxes and cookies!

Yay!

Nobody is a loser if everyone had fun. Who cares about playoffs? That's silly...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Moral victory for some fans maybe, but I guarantee none of the players are jumping for joy.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1kyi9plj said:
Juice boxes and cookies!

Yay!

Nobody is a loser if everyone had fun. Who cares about playoffs? That's silly...

If you expected play offs and Super Bowl after the purge of coaches and players last year you probably don't want to go to a real estate firm and invest in that Ocean Front property in what used to be Death Valley, I know they say it will refill at some point and be worth Billions.

They played tough given what we have done and have improved a bit in different areas every week, learning to win and play close games has to happen over a season to get to the next teir, we will get there with another draft and off season to fill holes still. Core is solid and they will get better.

justafan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1il3gstd said:
Juice boxes and cookies!

Yay!

Nobody likes losing,some just understand that the better team won but we have a team that shows a lot of heart and toughness.

Some people love seeing the good about what Pete is building. Some are like you.

knownone

Reaction score
We're one game back on the wildcard and we play the 2 teams in front of us. That's a moral victory. I don't understand how people are writing us off at this point. We lost to one of the better teams in the league and you had a chance to win it in the end.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I disagree.

It looks like Pete is treading water deliberately to make an average team look better than it is. It still ends in losses and a .500 record.

You are mistaken if you think improvement is around the corner. We lost a game we could have won because we made stupid decisions.

You honestly think the stupid decisions will stop in the future? This comes with the territory.

We will see but I'm betting the future is more of the same under this staff. We will rack up wins against weaker teams and lose close games to the rest.

whidbeast

Reaction score
That went better than I thought it would but our D just has no answer for the Rams and we can't really expect this offense to put the 40ish points we would need to win.

Designtime

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3lngf9gv said:
I disagree.

It looks like Pete is treading water deliberately to make an average team look better than it is. It still ends in losses and a .500 record.

You are mistaken if you think improvement is around the corner. We lost a game we could have won because we made stupid decisions.

You honestly think the stupid decisions will stop in the future? This comes with the territory.

We will see but I'm betting the future is more of the same under this staff. We will rack up wins against weaker teams and lose close games to the rest.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Moral victories don't exist. The team is playing competitively, running the ball as good as anyone, but good teams will win some of these close games-average or worse teams don't. We're just not there yet. Next year will be better.

stack55

Reaction score
I think the future is still bright for this young team.
I don’t understand our secondary play though.
When you play a zone defense when a player comes
Into your area, shouldn’t you pursue them. They
Just stand there, let them catch the ball and tackle
Them????

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team was in the game until the end. RW’s late fumble was expensive.

I really don’t get the negativity here it was a close game. The Hawks controlled the tempo. I believe they also won TOP. The game plan was solid and the team kept it close until Wilson’s fumble, even then they had a chance late, coulda woulda, shoulda. Was annoyed by Ifedi’s late hold that took away a big play again late in the game, the ball moved back to the 30 from their 5, he still is costing the team at critical times. Am disappointed they couldn’t get it done for the 2nd week in a row though.

They covered the spread, pissing off Las Vegas bookies once again. The team is getting better running the ball, now for some improvements to the passing game.

Thought the D needed to tighten up their run gaps and responsibilities. For sure a moral victory but they don’t count on the scoreboard.

OP
OP
KiwiHawk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":k1fas071 said:
I disagree.

Yeah, when Pete told Wilson to overthrow Lockett on that 4th down play... Oh wait, he didn't, and at that time we were still in position to potentially win the game, with a roster far inferior to the Rams because we've been drafting as a playoff team instead of going 13 years without a winning season.

You know what? If our coach can make a team play better than it is, that's actually a good thing.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
We're playing teams with FARRR more talent than we have. We have to play near perfect games to be competitive.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3v324nx9 said:
Is this even possible? Isn't that the sign of a good coach? Making a team play better than it really is?

getnasty

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3lk26cmd said:
I disagree.

But the fact we are even in the game has nothing to do with it. Let's go ahead and get blown out by teams that are way better as long as we don't try a surprise onside kick. You realize the Rams are far better across the board right, so how does a game in which the Rams don't even have a turnover become so close? Obviously it's not coaching, Russ should have been throwing it around like Patrick Mahomes the fact that we only put up 31 on offense makes me sick. The fact that we tried a surprise onside kick when our defense forced 2 punts all game(One at the end of the game with the Rams trying to run out the clock) and gave up 7 scoring drives is absolutely horrible. What the he'll!

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":34ybknmg said:
Moral victories don't exist. The team is playing competitively, running the ball as good as anyone, but good teams will win some of these close games-average or worse teams don't. We're just not there yet. Next year will be better.

I agree, this team is developing, and has potential but clearly isn't there this year. I see ultimately a hard fought 8-8 or 9-7 and a pass on the postseason as a ceiling here. It's always great to play well and be competative but in the end a loss is a loss. Especially when we got beaten so easily week before by the other LA team (still feels weird to me).

A loss is a loss and while I always wanna play well, one lost like this hurts even more. Screw "moral victories", I call BS on that, just a way to try and feel better about our losing record. Teams below 500 have no biz in the playoffs (despite our history).