Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rashaad Penny

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Rashaad Penny
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 pm
  • I accept all Penny haters apologies.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:I accept all Penny haters apologies.

You earned it, Penny has 93 yards from 7 carries. Contributed big times.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:57 pm
  • Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

Debating the merits of drafting a RB in the first round is fine, but still way too small of a sample size to declare him a bust or non-bust.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:37 pm
  • 108 yards rushing 9 yards a carry. Nice work....
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:45 pm
  • Atradees wrote:108 yards rushing 9 yards a carry. Nice work....

I will give our O-line more of the credit.
    strohmin
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:46 pm
  • strohmin wrote:
    Atradees wrote:108 yards rushing 9 yards a carry. Nice work....

of course
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:46 pm
  • Great game, encouraging to see.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 pm
  • :180670:
    strohmin wrote:

Haters gonna hate..
    doso
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm
  • I really like what I saw from Penny today. Finally we saw him put on some moves and show some open field bursts. That is great news for Hawk fans. :2thumbs:

I thought all and all it was a good game, but seeing Pete put the game in SeaBass's hands when he is ofer 25 was a pathetically bad call IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:56 pm
  • Outstanding game by Penny. He looked much quicker and more decisive today than before. He has very good burst when he gets outside. Great to see.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 pm
  • before, penny looked tentative. this was in contrast with other rookie running backs who will make their move too soon. it looked like penny were waiting too long to 'make the cut'. the radio guy said after the game today, that penny burned a DE, an S and a CB in 3 separate outside runs; like penny's 'burst in turning the corner' is amazing.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:52 am
  • Also the first time he got more than 5-10 carries. Good outing.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 am
  • I figured there would be a post giving credit to the O Line and none to Penny. Consistency.....
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am
  • I agree. Credit goes to:

-The Oline for giving Penny an open lane to run thru.

-The WRs who blocked for him down field.

-Penny. Running to daylight, making decisive moves in the open field and using his 4.45 speed for big gains.

Reminds me of the BeastMode days.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 am
  • If Penny keeps this level of plays up, he is well worth that first round pick. Not sure if it was the aspect ratio of my TV, Penny looked a but slimmer yesterday? I am very excite with a duo of Penny and Carson, like what Atlanta had in their super bowl year with Coleman and Freeman.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:09 am
  • toffee wrote: Not sure if it was the aspect ratio of my TV, Penny looked a but slimmer yesterday?

Probably the white unis. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 am
  • Schottenheimer mixed Penny in well again. Get him a crease to the outside, let him pickup a head of steam, and he becomes difficult to stop. Would have liked to have seen one or two screens to Penny, and one less inside zone run.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am
  • Jeremy517 wrote:Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

Debating the merits of drafting a RB in the first round is fine, but still way too small of a sample size to declare him a bust or non-bust.

You got to admit that the folks that said that he looked to overweight & slow are probably feeling a little sheepish right now.
    I agree with you, it was/is still too early to call him anything but a Rookie Running Back.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 am
  • strohmin wrote:

It seems like this is happening for whoever is playing RB. Do you feel the same way about Carson?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

You got to admit that the folks that said that he looked to overweight & slow are probably feeling a little sheepish right now.
    I agree with you, it was/is still too early to call him anything but a Rookie Running Back.

Nobody needs to feel sheepish about it. It was real, and he has dropped the weight. Lets not attempt to re-write history here please.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/18/17875218/rashaad-pennys-weight-changes-yet-again-seattle-seahawks-rb

At the Scouting Combine this past spring, Penny weighed in at 220 pounds. A solid weight for his frame and athletic profile. (For comparison, the Seahawks claimed Marshawn Lynch played at 215 during his time in Seattle.)

Just prior to the beginning of preseason, Carroll casually mentioned Penny was up to 236 pounds, a jarring 16 pounds gained since the combine.

If we track Carroll’s comments both in August and on Tuesday morning, Penny now sits at 228 pounds, having gained 16 and then dropped eight since the spring. Perhaps they are trying to find his ideal weight—which is completely fair—but it isn’t the first time this has happened.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am
  • I am far less underwhelmed than I was prior to Penny's latest performance.

I still need to see more and that hunger to be excellent and better than the rest of of the RBs on the roster. At present penny is still behind both Carson and Davis though he certainly served notice he needs to be played more.

Now let's see if he can follow up a good performance against the Rams with another against the Packers, and so on and so on.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

Nobody needs to feel sheepish about it. It was real, and he has dropped the weight. Lets not attempt to re-write history here please.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/18/17875218/rashaad-pennys-weight-changes-yet-again-seattle-seahawks-rb

At the Scouting Combine this past spring, Penny weighed in at 220 pounds. A solid weight for his frame and athletic profile. (For comparison, the Seahawks claimed Marshawn Lynch played at 215 during his time in Seattle.)

Just prior to the beginning of preseason, Carroll casually mentioned Penny was up to 236 pounds, a jarring 16 pounds gained since the combine.

If we track Carroll’s comments both in August and on Tuesday morning, Penny now sits at 228 pounds, having gained 16 and then dropped eight since the spring. Perhaps they are trying to find his ideal weight—which is completely fair—but it isn’t the first time this has happened.

My eyeballs told me Penny has dropped more weight, he could be at 220 now. Certainly looked quicked, probably result of game became slower to him and the weight loss. Penny MUST keep his conditioning up, he has proven ineffective carrying extra weight. Wondering if the fitness staffs altered his diet?

toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am
  • Whatever it is it seemed to work for him. As he improves so will his confidence and his willingness to work harder to be better.

Now if only the team could get something from Prosise who seemingly slides deeper down the DC.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 pm
  • Where are the bust theorists? There were plenty. I need some backpedalling so I have a fan on my desk.....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm
  • Now that Carson is back where is Penny on the depth chart?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:05 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:I accept all Penny haters apologies.

I accept all Lacey lovers apologies.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:08 pm
  • cheese22 wrote:It's safe to say that most teams that pick a RB in the 1st rd have a dire need there. Seattle didn't which made the pick more confusing than just considering who it was. To me it looks like he's over thinking instead of cutting loose. He's too talented to not contribute.
    And all those small school commenters should remember another guy who came from that same school. Marshall Faulk had a pretty good career.

Yeah. He wants to get in to the open field instead of just driving in to the line. It was cool to see him break it outside a couple of times. I look forward to seeing more of him. He should do well on screen pass receptions too. Yeah. I see the talent there. Maybe something to the weight gain/loss issue mentioned in earlier posts. I am sure some of the other players taken in the first round are looking like studs. I am sure we will be seeing more of him, hopefully not as a result of injuries.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:08 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Now that Carson is back where is Penny on the depth chart?

:twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:46 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:I accept all Penny haters apologies.

I do not accept any Julius Jones lovers apologies.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm
  • Penny to the many vocal doubters on .net

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BdBfhliwM[/youtube]
    Last edited by Danny Darko on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm
  • How you doubters like your crow cooked? It’s not to late to say... ya Scientist.... you were right. He’s awesome!!!
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

Weight is NOT the only factor that's held him back.....weight on the mind trumps weight on the frame......EVERYTIME.
    I think that him thinking that all he had to do is Show Up, to be designated #1 & then having Carson & Davis bull-rushing their way to the front of the pack early on, is what lit a fire under Penny's ass. IMHO
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 pm
  • Penny engaged and held blocks well tonight also, which is huge. Very nice to see the little things executed at a high level. No flashy stats there, for him, but we converted at least one 3rd down while he stood up a rusher. He looks the part more and more.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Starter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:I accept all Penny haters apologies.

I do not accept any Julius Jones lovers apologies.

Rats.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 pm
  • Penny had a good game again tonight even with a lesser load than last week. Keep it going Penny!
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 pm
  • His legs are to skinny he can't possibly be any good what a joke no i'm not letting that go because it was the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard on draft night.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 pm
  • Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 pm
  • Kid has had very few opportunities people. There is a learning curve of things you could get away with on previous level that flat out cant now with the talent in the league. With minimal chances he’s got he’s definitely shown the “it” factor. Quickness and burst from a pretty decently sized back. Once game slows down for him and realizes cant get away with some of the moves from college he will be a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 am
  • Carolina has an excellent LB corps. They also have a strong, physical front four. Overall, they continue to be one of the NFL’s best defenses against the run.

But their defensive front has been playing kind of sluggish. They’ve been vulnerable to change of direction plays and have struggled to tackle ball carriers in space.

Carolina’s 2nd level and open field defense are only ranked 25th by Football Outsiders:
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Last week, Detroit rookie Kerryon Johnson ran all over them before injuring his knee.

Penny has a similar running style to Johnson. Before the draft, I ranked Penny as my 5th favorite RB and Johnson 7th. I didn’t think there was that much separating them, though I preferred Penny. They both are good when they find space. Both have good vision. Both move well laterally for their size. Once they get a head full of steam, they both run through arm tackles.

I wonder if the Seahawks think Penny might find similar success against this usually pretty stout Carolina defense. This might be a big opportunity for him. I initially thought they might lean on Mike Davis in this game. But Penny appears to be a better stylistic matchup against this aggressive Carolina defense.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:17 am
  • sutz wrote:Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

Barry Sanders made a career out of doing exactly what Penny did. Alexander would be prone to that as well. But then they'd hit for 50 yds and flip the field.

There is room for both kind of backs on the team. The juking high risk/reward style and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style.

AS long as Penny makes big runs I'll accept the occasional negative play here and there. Especially from a rookie.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 am
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    sutz wrote:Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

Barry Sanders made a career out of doing exactly what Penny did. Alexander would be prone to that as well. But then they'd hit for 50 yds and flip the field.

There is room for both kind of backs on the team. The juking high risk/reward style and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style.

AS long as Penny makes big runs I'll accept the occasional negative play here and there. Especially from a rookie.

I would agree with that but we would still need a Carson YAC type back for 3rd or 4th and 1-2 attempts to grind out the tough yards with greater chance of success.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:26 pm
  • Penny is averaging 5.1ypc on the season. That leads the team.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    sutz wrote:Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

I would agree with that but we would still need a Carson YAC type back for 3rd or 4th and 1-2 attempts to grind out the tough yards with greater chance of success.

Mike Davis?
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:57 am
  • Sure doesn't look like a bust and/or wasted draft pick to me. He just hasn't had a ton of opportunities.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 am
  • My Rookie!
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:27 am
  • It's incredible how shifty he is while running. Very fun to watch so far. Between that, and Carson's obstinate physicality, our running game is once more enjoyable.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 am
  • They've stopped trying to run him up the middle for the most part and are calling pitches and sweeps outside. He made all his big plays in college running from those sets. He seems most comfortable getting the ball in space starting horizontally, getting to choose when to burst forward. He actually had a couple nice shifty runs yesterday which was my biggest complaint early on, that he seemingly couldn't make anyone miss and just went down to any contact like Turbin. Nice compliment to Carson's punishing 5 yard runs.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:39 am
  • I love the Carson / Penny one two punch. Schott is doing good job using both of them. I wonder if Bevell and Cable would have. I don't think so.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 am
  • capncrunch wrote:I love the Carson / Penny one two punch. Schott is doing good job using both of them. I wonder if Bevell and Cable would have. I don't think so.

Schotty is doing a great job all the way around!
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 am
  • Other than the fact that Penny wasn't as ready as a first round pick RB expected to be from day one, I am happy with his performance of late, I think Penny still has more performance upside we haven't seen yet.

toffee
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information