Time for refs to get fined

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2mxaf9kv said:
If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.
Agreed and make it public knowledge. Also replay officials need to be FIRED if they cannot get obvious calls right. See the fumble in the raiders Seattle game last week. The replay officials were either incompetent or guilty of trying to steer a game. Either one should be a fireable offense. I see better officiating at the highschool games every week, I’m serious.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":e8o0ii8i said:
It's not likely that anyone would apply for the job!!
Pay them better, streamline the rulebook, and stop with these “emphasis rules”.
Retrain the officials to only call the obvious stuff and not the stuff “they think they MAY have seen”, or the play had “the ingredients of a penalty” call BS (see XL*).

A huge rulebook, the weekly flag fest, incompetent officiating, and or “steered officiating” is killing and or is going to kill off the NFL game.

The NFL wants to shorten games, the solution is less flags! It is that simple!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Why won't the NFL would allow their Referees to be questioned by sports reporters? It would open the eyes of the public regarding their attitude toward the game. The public would discover their arrogance.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If the fines don't work and referees still make errors, do we fine the fines?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Make the refs FT employees and hold them accountable like the players are held accountable. Fine their asses for egregious calls (no, not calls that are bad in hind sight but were understandable in the moment). Accountability is a foreign concept to refs in the NFL. Until the system changes, expect same ol' same ol'.

The current paradigm is for there to be a game-changing horrific call by a ref, and the worst that happens is a "whoopsie-daisy" apology letter from the NFL a couple days later with little to no real accountability held to the ref in question. This needs to change.

Reaction score
When they get fine (the refs) each team that was on the receiving end of the bad call they add the totals of all the fines each team recieves for the year and in the following year it's gets added to the available cap space teams have to use! Instead of the usual I'm sorry! Actions speak louder than words

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":1fprp5cq said:
Make the refs FT employees and hold them accountable like the players are held accountable. Fine their asses for egregious calls (no, not calls that are bad in hind sight but were understandable in the moment). Accountability is a foreign concept to refs in the NFL. Until the system changes, expect same ol' same ol'.

The current paradigm is for there to be a game-changing horrific call by a ref, and the worst that happens is a "whoopsie-daisy" apology letter from the NFL a couple days later with little to no real accountability held to the ref in question. This needs to change.
I thought this already is the case or is it next year?

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Aros":1mn60llw said:

Or you mean an entire Superbowl?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’m with Todd.

I’ve advocated for years that the officials be FULL TIME employees.

It’s my understanding that a few of the current refs are FT but not all of them, and I’ve seen nothing that indicates that the plan is for all of them to be so.

I get it, it’s a seasonal gig but if they were “full time” NFL employees’ they could spend the off season getting better at what they do. They also wouldn’t have a some other job taking their focus away from football.

It’s not like the NFL can’t afford it.

Pay more, and increase the demand you put on them is my theory.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Agree with Todd and Lon. How do we get this into the NFLPA Collective Bargaining? hahaha

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":35asihow said:

An official making a mistake on a call is more similar to a player running a bad route and causing an interception or completely missing a blocking assignment.

Fines are levied against players for a class of actions that have a reasonable probability of leading to serious injuries to themselves/other players or for a class of actions that are just bad behavior (intentional). If the argument here is that officials should get fined for making or missing calls, that's one thing (although I think the incentive here would have serious unintended consequences people really wouldn't like), but comparing it to things that NFL players get fined for is unreasonable.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1a869goq said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1a869goq said:

An official making a mistake on a call is more similar to a player running a bad route and causing an interception or completely missing a blocking assignment.

Fines are levied against players for a class of actions that have a reasonable probability of leading to serious injuries to themselves/other players or for a class of actions that are just bad behavior (intentional). If the argument here is that officials should get fined for making or missing calls, that's one thing (although I think the incentive here would have serious unintended consequences people really wouldn't like), but comparing it to things that NFL players get fined for is unreasonable.

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been fined.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1ec74ls1 said:
bmorepunk":1ec74ls1 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1ec74ls1 said:

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been FIRED.

Fixed it for you. :2thumbs:
The problem is the NFL has to admit there is a problem with the officiating.
They can’t and won’t so far. They are getting their “desired results” so all is good in their eyes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":c4q37c4x said:
bmorepunk":c4q37c4x said:
Sox-n-Hawks":c4q37c4x said:

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been FIRED.

They can’t and won’t so far. They are getting their “desired results” so all is good in their eyes.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":v2ulivc8 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":v2ulivc8 said:
bmorepunk":v2ulivc8 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":v2ulivc8 said:

Thanks for fixing that! I can't believe I made such a terrible typo

kf3339

Reaction score
The biggest problem is the rule book. There has just been too many changes and add on's that has complicated the game and their job in the last 10+ years. Simplify the rules and let the players play the damn game like it was originally created.

That would be the fastest way to cut down on the flags and ref mistakes.

chris98251

Reaction score
The big problem is Judgement and subjective calls on rules that are based on judgmental and subjective rules that means one persons view and or opinion can be different from another.

How can you enforce rules of interpretation that can change from person to person.

Then they miss obvious calls like Off Sides and Holding and Interference. That are pretty obvious in nature a lot of times.

This is why the steering concept comes into games.

Latest posts