Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Time for refs to get fined

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Time for refs to get fined
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm
  • If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Re: Time for refs to get fined
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:57 pm
  • It's not likely that anyone would apply for the job!!
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.

Agreed and make it public knowledge. Also replay officials need to be FIRED if they cannot get obvious calls right. See the fumble in the raiders Seattle game last week. The replay officials were either incompetent or guilty of trying to steer a game. Either one should be a fireable offense. I see better officiating at the highschool games every week, I’m serious.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:It's not likely that anyone would apply for the job!!

Pay them better, streamline the rulebook, and stop with these “emphasis rules”.
    Retrain the officials to only call the obvious stuff and not the stuff “they think they MAY have seen”, or the play had “the ingredients of a penalty” call BS (see XL*).

A huge rulebook, the weekly flag fest, incompetent officiating, and or “steered officiating” is killing and or is going to kill off the NFL game.

The NFL wants to shorten games, the solution is less flags! It is that simple!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 pm
  • Why won't the NFL would allow their Referees to be questioned by sports reporters? It would open the eyes of the public regarding their attitude toward the game. The public would discover their arrogance.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 pm
  • If the fines don't work and referees still make errors, do we fine the fines?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm
  • Make the refs FT employees and hold them accountable like the players are held accountable. Fine their asses for egregious calls (no, not calls that are bad in hind sight but were understandable in the moment). Accountability is a foreign concept to refs in the NFL. Until the system changes, expect same ol' same ol'.

The current paradigm is for there to be a game-changing horrific call by a ref, and the worst that happens is a "whoopsie-daisy" apology letter from the NFL a couple days later with little to no real accountability held to the ref in question. This needs to change.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:54 pm
  • When they get fine (the refs) each team that was on the receiving end of the bad call they add the totals of all the fines each team recieves for the year and in the following year it's gets added to the available cap space teams have to use! Instead of the usual I'm sorry! Actions speak louder than words
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:41 am
  • Aros wrote:Make the refs FT employees and hold them accountable like the players are held accountable. Fine their asses for egregious calls (no, not calls that are bad in hind sight but were understandable in the moment). Accountability is a foreign concept to refs in the NFL. Until the system changes, expect same ol' same ol'.

The current paradigm is for there to be a game-changing horrific call by a ref, and the worst that happens is a "whoopsie-daisy" apology letter from the NFL a couple days later with little to no real accountability held to the ref in question. This needs to change.

I thought this already is the case or is it next year?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:11 am
  • Aros wrote:Make the refs FT employees and hold them accountable like the players are held accountable. Fine their asses for egregious calls (no, not calls that are bad in hind sight but were understandable in the moment). Accountability is a foreign concept to refs in the NFL. Until the system changes, expect same ol' same ol'.

Or you mean an entire Superbowl?

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:07 am
  • I’m with Todd.

I’ve advocated for years that the officials be FULL TIME employees.

It’s my understanding that a few of the current refs are FT but not all of them, and I’ve seen nothing that indicates that the plan is for all of them to be so.

I get it, it’s a seasonal gig but if they were “full time” NFL employees’ they could spend the off season getting better at what they do. They also wouldn’t have a some other job taking their focus away from football.

It’s not like the NFL can’t afford it.

Pay more, and increase the demand you put on them is my theory.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:15 am
  • Agree with Todd and Lon. How do we get this into the NFLPA Collective Bargaining? hahaha

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.

An official making a mistake on a call is more similar to a player running a bad route and causing an interception or completely missing a blocking assignment.

Fines are levied against players for a class of actions that have a reasonable probability of leading to serious injuries to themselves/other players or for a class of actions that are just bad behavior (intentional). If the argument here is that officials should get fined for making or missing calls, that's one thing (although I think the incentive here would have serious unintended consequences people really wouldn't like), but comparing it to things that NFL players get fined for is unreasonable.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 am
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.

An official making a mistake on a call is more similar to a player running a bad route and causing an interception or completely missing a blocking assignment.

Fines are levied against players for a class of actions that have a reasonable probability of leading to serious injuries to themselves/other players or for a class of actions that are just bad behavior (intentional). If the argument here is that officials should get fined for making or missing calls, that's one thing (although I think the incentive here would have serious unintended consequences people really wouldn't like), but comparing it to things that NFL players get fined for is unreasonable.

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been fined.

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:If players can get fined for things not called in the game. It's time for refs to get fined for BS calls and poor officiating.

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been FIRED.

Fixed it for you. :2thumbs:
    The problem is the NFL has to admit there is a problem with the officiating.
    They can’t and won’t so far. They are getting their “desired results” so all is good in their eyes.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:

So you're saying the refs failing to flag someone for an unsafe it doesn't put anyone at risk? That falls under poor officiating as well. Every ref from SB XL should have been FIRED.

They can’t and won’t so far. They are getting their “desired results” so all is good in their eyes.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:

Thanks for fixing that! I can't believe I made such a terrible typo

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 pm
  • The biggest problem is the rule book. There has just been too many changes and add on's that has complicated the game and their job in the last 10+ years. Simplify the rules and let the players play the damn game like it was originally created.

That would be the fastest way to cut down on the flags and ref mistakes.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 pm
  • The big problem is Judgement and subjective calls on rules that are based on judgmental and subjective rules that means one persons view and or opinion can be different from another.

How can you enforce rules of interpretation that can change from person to person.

Then they miss obvious calls like Off Sides and Holding and Interference. That are pretty obvious in nature a lot of times.

This is why the steering concept comes into games.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information